Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Finished watching the documentary. Very well made, the music scoring was exceptional. Past events like chael/sonnen came to life which must be the aim of any documentary. It helped illustrate the appeal of pride to me since I missed most of its run.

I think the wider political stuff should have been cut. Very jarring to be watching a doc about MMA and then it's "so anyway while Reagan and Thatcher were destroying the social safety net,".. spent a minute explaining how the Fertittas are mobbed up but then more time playing tape of Dana's RNC speech with ominous background music.

Blaming USADA in part for making the UFC bland is sadly mistaken. Blaming USADA for derailing Jon Jones' career is absurd.

Had some other small quibbles like the first chapter is called "the history of fighting for money" and talks about Gracie history instead of prize fighting. Then Anderson is introduced as the widely recognized GOAT when I think that's debatable with his failed drug tests - noticed more stuff like that early in watching and had to recognize there would be a lot of opinion mixed with facts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Here's a GDT

mewse
May 2, 2006

:lol:

mewse
May 2, 2006

A TUF1 marathon on spike in 2005 was what started me on mma

mewse
May 2, 2006

Untrustable posted:

I like Hunt, I like Pedro, and I like Tuivasa. Do the fight Gods hate me?

No my son, they hate australia

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

It doesn't stay that good and generally peaked after 5, but there are still some gems here and there. The GSP vs Kos and Jones vs Sonnen seasons were good.

GSP vs kos season had Cody McKenzie dunking on koschek :lol:

mewse
May 2, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

anyway i forgot to say this last night but theres a part in 103 where the guys find out they're not getting paid to figt and get upset because they're going out there and getting the poo poo beat out of them for free, and dana literally yells at them about being paid in opportunity, and i dreamed of one of those light heavies just clobbering him in the fuckin head

Is that the legendary "do you wanna be a fuckin fighter" speech?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Stealth Tiger posted:

which season does the bro wanna bang?

That was Julian Lane on The Ultimate Fighter: Team Carwin vs. Team Nelson

mewse
May 2, 2006

old.flv posted:

the heavyweights season was fun and can be summed up by this wiki quip:
"Only 15 fighters are lined up until Dana White introduced internet street fighting sensation, Kimbo Slice."

also Titties

The Rashad/Rampage rivalry was weird and cringey. It's too bad Marcus Jones never had a career after Mitrione KO'd him

mewse
May 2, 2006

Skip My Posts posted:

Literally? Lol I gotta see that

Cody was from alaska and had worked on fishing boats and poo poo so he was tough as nails but koscheck was every dumb jock stereotype rolled into a yellow tinted ball so they would taunt each other and cody would frequently get the upper hand even tho he wasn't the brightest bulb in the christmas tree either

mewse
May 2, 2006

Wise Learned Man posted:

My favorite part about that was right before the Kimbo reveal, Dana said something like "I know I've talked a boatload of poo poo about this guy, but he's here now" and Rampage goes "Who, Tank Abbott?"

e: Rampage had another gem that season, with "How do you get the moon offa you?"

Rampage was streaming on twitch a few years after the show and called up rashad and asked "do you like dragons?"

mewse
May 2, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

Here's Cody's pre-fight talk

https://streamable.com/yexsg

Here's the fight

https://twitter.com/LegKickTKO/status/761755323296342016

Here's Jean-Charles

https://streamable.com/3k3nv

bonus, here's Bruce Leeroy and an unhinged (so, normal) Armenian

https://streamable.com/zwa4y

I've got no audio for any of these :/

mewse
May 2, 2006

CarlCX posted:

That's part of the problem, though. Holloway/Ortega is a loving great fight that I am going to be quietly tense about somehow not happening until they're actually in the cage. But if you're A UFC Fan, you've only had about three days to focus on it because three days ago was JDS/Tuivasa and The Ongoing Tragedy of Shogun, and two days before that was RDA/Usman and Bryan Caraway getting loving murdered which in a just world we would still be celebrating, and six days before that was Blaydes/Ngannou and the return of Overeem, which was seven days after Magny/Ponzinibbio and Lamas/Elkins which was seven days after TKZ/Yair and Cerrone/Perry which was seven days after Cormier/Lewis and Jacare/Weidman.

There is no way a lack of high-quality matchups in the UFC, but they're happening with such crammed-together frequency that if you're trying to follow them all there's barely any time to get hyped the way something like Holloway/Ortega deserves, and a bunch of other matches on the cards are chaff that barely hold interest. It is simultaneously too much and too little. It's the reason so many people make "things are slow" comments even though we are loving drowning in fight cards with some really good fights on them.

also is it already time to have our monthly fight about caring vs not caring about things

So you're saying with the packed schedule the ebb & flow of hype is disrupted, and the climaxes are too frequent? They keep coming and coming and it's hard to get excited anymore?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Skip My Posts posted:

How hosed up did max look?

Ha ha.. I tell ya the thing is people are wondering I am ready for thsi fight

mewse
May 2, 2006

mewse posted:

I've got no audio for any of these :/

I figured it out guys. I reinstalled windows and it thought I had a 5.1 system when I've got plain ol stereo. Eleven and ONNNEEEE

mewse
May 2, 2006

I.N.R.I posted:

anti doping is crucial to sport. PED abuse is every bit as sordid and miserable as hard drug addiction and leaving the door open for it ends up attracting all of the same sorts of people. I dont know what those guys said in the documentary but they are probably ignorant on the matter

The last section of the doc blames the UFC being watered down on three factors: major network deal, fighter uniforms, and USADA. It then straight up blames USADA for killing Jon Jones' career

mewse
May 2, 2006

spb posted:

What does Ortega need to do to improve? Just work on striking defense? Maybe more wrestling?

He needs to improve his striking a lot and/or get better at avoiding striking entirely. The first time I watched him I saw he took a lot of damage before implementing his grappling game.

e: may have been the cub swanson bout a year ago

mewse
May 2, 2006

FishBowlRobot posted:

Also said that Randy Couture has been fappening-ed. So if you ever wanted to see The Natural jerk it, it's your lucky day. Save it in the same folder as titodick.jpg.

Wasn't couture reviled for cheating on his wife forever ago

mewse
May 2, 2006

1st AD posted:

which one?

He was married 3 times

I don't remember just when I started posting here everyone said couture was a shitbag, I don't remember what the story was

mewse
May 2, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

HOLY loving poo poo.
"4 years is a death sentence. He might as well go be a computer programmer or something."

:yeshaha:

mewse
May 2, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Why is that better? You get to make the rules here.

Because he's already under USADA and nobody's done the homework as to whether VADA is actually feasible so making it a requirement could cause problems they didn't anticipate and they just wanted JJ out of there

mewse
May 2, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Bisping was on Rogan's podcast last night. He was legally blind in his wonky eye by the end and he's essentially blind in it now. MW GOAT.

His gimp eye that wouldn’t look in the right direction wasn’t working??????? Wow how did he keep that a secret

mewse
May 2, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Why does Tony capitalize every word in his tweet?

It’s his brand, playa

mewse
May 2, 2006

The difference in language between this tweet and okomoto's is neat

mewse
May 2, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Okamoto's is way more press releasy.

Yeah seems like he was regurgitating what the UFC told him whereas Ariel unvarnished it

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lid posted:

Two sides of the coin

John Kavanagh, SBG Ireland

Max is a great fighter. Brian is a great technician. Max has great takedown defense, but I think there are holes in his grappling game -- as seen in the Conor McGregor fight [April 2013]. Brian will expose that. I'm predicting Brian with the submission late in the fight.

Mark Henry, New Jersey striking coach

Ortega is a tough kid, but I think -- maybe fourth round -- Max stops him, standing. I just think Max has the range to hit him and not have to worry about his elbows. Max is so smart, man. He's thinking a couple moves ahead and he kind of throws where your head is going to be, before it goes there.

He has the size -- he's talked about how tough it is for him to make 145 pounds. He mixes it up well. Confidence. You add all that together, with his range -- people asked me about him when he was going to fight Jose Aldo, and I said Max had the range to win that fight. Same here. Just stay on the outside, use kicks. Switch righty, lefty. Max is a phenomenal boxer and he's phenomenal brawler. He can do both

Was max the betting underdog? I forget

mewse
May 2, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I feel like 3 or 4. His base mobility really dictates that he not throw kicks. Reminds me of a certain other Hawaiian...

Ahh, Kendall Grove

mewse
May 2, 2006

Skip My Posts posted:

Dana is going off on Oscar de la Hoya and released a spreadsheet of chuck’s income lmao

Spreadsheets to win an argument?? Maybe the computer programmer career track is promising after all

mewse
May 2, 2006

Skip My Posts posted:

That’s accounting dude

mewse
May 2, 2006

Wise Learned Man posted:

The final showdown between suspect cardio and papier-mache knees

Extreme cowardice vs disintegrating human construct

mewse
May 2, 2006

Zuffa/Pilligan tried to make a boxing version of TUF and it failed horribly

e: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/boxing/2014/01/21/ufc-dana-white-launches-boxing-reality-show/4739957/

mewse
May 2, 2006

Le Saboteur posted:

I really don't feel like Kamaru Usman has anything for Woodley. Not hyped for that fight really.

:agreed:

Brut posted:

Are you hyped for Woodley vs any current welterweight fighter, theoretically?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

:lol:

mewse
May 2, 2006

I saw he made these comments a bit ago and I think Kavanagh is prob sick of Conor tarnishing his reputation

mewse
May 2, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

Looks like UFC is flagging gyms on Instagram that post pics or vids of fighters, since ATT, Jackson-Wink, and a few others have been banned

https://twitter.com/AmericanTopTeam/status/1075034197155373057?s=19

What the gently caress?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Gus can win because

1) He won the first bout
2) Jones is not on steroids
3) Greg Jackson isn't coaching anymore

But Jones will win because the bad guy always wins :waycool:

mewse
May 2, 2006

TheKingslayer posted:

:stonk: Oh my god and he's all the way at the bottom of the prelims. loving hang it up, guy.

Hey you gotta start a title run somewhere

mewse
May 2, 2006

old.flv posted:

I'll always respect fatherdog for dying on a hill nobody cared about

Nope

mewse
May 2, 2006

I see Nick has entered the Dan Quinn phase of his career

mewse
May 2, 2006

I Mildly Disagree With This Fighters Tweets