Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Yeah, that’s me.

You’re probably wondering how I got into this situation. It all started in 2012 when I decided to balance the scales of fate within the universe. I was just your average, run-of-the-mill cosmic nihilist, no different than anyone else, when I discovered the six Infinity Gems. I tell you, it was love at first sight.

It was a story of boy meets gems and gems meet Avengers. Luckily for me, I won in the end. What can I say? I’m a lucky guy. Some people think they’re unhappy about the whole thing, but me? I think they know just what a favor I did for them. No one goes hungry anymore, everyone has a place to live, and I basically single-handedly saved the Earth’s climate. Plus, I’m not as bad as everyone says I am. The snap wasn’t THAT random. I got rid of religious fundamentalists, fascists, and Taylor Swift. I did everyone a favor!

So that’s where I am now. Half the universe dead with the snap of a finger! If there’s one thing I regret about the whole thing- well, I guess it’s slaying my daughter. But if there’s TWO things, it’s that and the devastating effect I had on the comic book movie industry. There were promises of so many things coming: an Aunt May solo film, the Sinister Six, Man of Steel 2! Everything we ever wanted! But half the universe also means half the comic book movie slate.

I believe we’re left with some good stuff coming, though. Comic book movies are fun and exciting, even when it’s Watchmen! There’s lots down the pipeline and, even though half of humanity is naught but dust, I’m super-hyped for the future! Perhaps there is still a spark left in the defeated human race? Together we can find out just what lies in store, whether it be a much-needed sequel to Logan or the long-awaited solo film starring Razorback and his ELECTRIFIED MANE.

Let’s talk about comic book movies, friends!

Upcoming Movies
The following films have announced release dates and are listed through the end of 2020. If a movie has been announced but has no set release or is after December 31st, 2020 it will be listed further below.

Marvel

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Spider-Into Spider-The

Release Date: December 14th, 2018
Cast:
Shameik Moore as Miles Morales/Spider-Man
Jake Johnson as Peter Parker/Spider-Man
Hailee Stanfield as Gwen Stacy/Spider-Gwen
Nicolas Cage as Spider-Man Noir
John Mulaney as Spider-Ham
Kimiko Glenn as Peni Parker
Liev Schreiber as Wilson Fisk/Kingpin
Mahershala Ali as Aaron Davis/The Prowler
Directed By: Bob “THREE” Persichetti, Peter “WHOLE” Ramsey, and Rodney “DIRECTORS” Rothman
Plot: Miles Morales has spider-powers but finds out he’s not alone. It turns out there’s another spider-person - some idiot named Peter. Now Miles has to clown him for two hours.
What Happens After The Snap? Uncle Ben’s corpse turns to dust, no one notices.
Real Trailer
Fake Trailer

Captain Marvel
The Kree-quel

Release Date: March 8th, 2019
Cast:
Brie Larson as Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel
Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury
Ben Mendelsohn as Talos
Djimon Hounsou as Korath
Lee Pace as Ronan the Accuser
Lashana Lynch as Maria Rambeau
Clark Gregg as Phil Coulson
Jude Law as Mar-Vell / Walter Lawson
Directed By: Anna “Quarter-Nelson” Boden and Ryan “The Other Quarter-Nelson” Fleck
Plot: A blonde lady punches a grandma and likes planes.
What Happens After The Snap? I mean, Avengers 4 I guess?
Real Trailer
Fake Trailer

Avengers 4
Starring Rocket Raccoon and Okoye and No One Else

Release Date: May 3rd,, 2019
Cast:
Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark / Iron Man
Chris Hemsworth as Thor
Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner / Hulk
Chris Evans as Steve Rogers / Captain America
Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow
Benedict Cumberbatch as Dr. Stephen Strange’s Ashes
Don Cheadle as James "Rhodey" Rhodes / War Machine
Tom Holland as Peter Parker / Spider-Dust
Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa / Dirt Panther
Paul Bettany as Vision’s Smoking Husk
Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff / Scarlet Which Way Did Her Dust Go?
Anthony Mackie as Sam Wilson / Falcan’t Find Him, He Died
Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes / Winter Sold-Yer Dead
Tom Hiddleston as Loki (also dead)
Benedict Wong as Wong
Pom Klementieff as Man, Is She Dead!-tis
Karen Gillan as Nebula
Dave Bautista as Drax the Destroyed
Zoe Saldana as Gamoraaaaaaaaa *splat*
Bradley Cooper as Rocket
Gwyneth Paltrow as Virginia "Pepper" Potts
Josh Brolin as Thanos
Chris Pratt as Peter Quill / Star-Corpse
Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton / Hawkeye
Evangeline Lilly as Hope van Died / Wasp
Jon Favreau as Harold "Happy" Hogan
Paul Rudd as Scott Lang / Ant-Man
Brie Larson as Carol Danvers / Captain Marvel
Directed By: Anthony and Joe “In This One We Literally Torture Aunt May” Russo
Plot: The remaining Avengers pick up the (literal) pieces and move on with their half-lives.
What Happens After The Snap? Yes, Thanos snaps AGAIN. This time, though, it’s part of a jazzy, Raimi-esque musical number.
[url=]Real Trailer (c'mon someone just release a real trailer I'm jonesin')[/url]
Fake Trailer

Dark Phoenix
We’re Just Embarassed To Be X-Men At This Point

Release Date: June 7th, 2019
Cast:
James McAvoy as Charles Xavier
Michael Fassbender as Erik Lehnsherr / Magneto
Jennifer Lawrence as Raven Darkhölme / Mystique
Nicholas Hoult as Hank McCoy / Beast
Sophie Turner as Jean Grey / Phoenix
Tye Sheridan as Scott Summers / Cyclops
Alexandra Shipp as Storm
Kodi Smit-McPhee as Kurt Wagner / Nightcrawler
Evan Peters as Peter Maximoff / Quicksilver
Directed By: Simon “Uh… Directorial Debut? Sheesh” Kinberg
Plot: Mystique dies in the trailer. Like, y’all saw that right? Anyway, Jean Grey gets real mad and straight murders some broccoli.
What Happens After The Snap? Just this scene probably.
Real Trailer
Fake Trailer

Spider-Man: Far From Home
Now It’s Ned’s Time To Shine!

Release Date: July 5th, 2019
Cast:
Tom Holland as Peter Parker / Spider-Man
Jacob Batalon as Ned Leeds
Michael Keaton as Adrian Toomes / Vulture
Jon Favreau as Harold "Happy" Hogan
Zendaya as Michelle "MJ" Jones
Marisa Tomei as May Parker
Jake Gyllenhaal as Quentin Beck / Mysterio
Directed By: John “Last Name Appropriate For Electro Movie” Watts
Plot: Spider-Man pulls himself together and goes on a class trip! What the hell high school takes a field trip to Europe? Very bougie.
What Happens After The Snap? “Mr. Stark, I still don’t feel so good.” Then it turns into Spider-Man: Reign.
Fake Trailer
Faker Trailer

The New Mutants
What If Cypher But SpOoKY?

Release Date: August 2nd, 2019
Cast:
Anya Taylor-Joy as Illyana Rasputin / Magik
Maisie Williams as Rahne Sinclair / Wolfsbane
Charlie Heaton as Sam Guthrie / Cannonball
Henry Zaga as Roberto da Costa / Sunspot
Blu Hunt as Danielle Moonstar / Mirage
Alice Braga as Cecilia Reyes (?!?)
Directed By: John “Did That Sad Movie Your Little Cousin Liked” Watts
Plot: I dunno, but apparently they delayed this movie for reshoots to replace a version where JON HAMM played MISTER SINISTER! Why would they do this?!
What Happens After The Snap? Jon Hamm is back but this time he’s just Jon Hamm. For like an hour.
Real Trailer
Fake Trailer

DC

Aquaman
Yeah, They Made This Before The Flash Somehow

Release Date: December 21st, 2018
Cast:
Jason Momoa as Arthur Curry / Aquaman
Amber Heard as Mera
Willem Dafoe as Nuidis Vulko
Patrick Wilson as Orm / Ocean Master
Dolph Lundgren as Nereus
Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as David Kane / Black Manta
Nicole Kidman as Atlanna:
Directed By: James “Just Kinda… Directs Everything” Wan
Plot: Arthur Curry is half-man, half-fish, and he pees on stuff ALL THE TIME.
What Happens After The Snap? Half of Aquaman turns to dust, but he just replaces it with a hook. Now he’s half-man, half-fish, half-hook, ALL-HERO.
Real Trailer
Fake Trailer

Shazam!
So… Two Captain Marvel Movies, Then

Release Date: April 5th, 2019
Cast:
Asher Angel and Zachary Levi as Billy Batson / Shazam
Mark Strong as Dr. Thaddeus Sivana
Jack Dylan Grazer as Freddy Freeman
Grace Fulton as Mary Bromfield
Djimon Hounsou as The Wizard Shazam:
Directed By: David “Mr. Mind When” Sandberg
Plot: When a little boy meets a wizard he gets old and muscly! Now that he’s ripped he can fight crime - and/or buy beers.
What Happens After The Snap? Talky Tawny crumbles to dust before the eyes of a nonplussed Uncle Dudley.
Real Trailer
Fake Trailer

Joker
The Man Who Laughs (Because He’s Method Acting)

Release Date: October 4th, 2019
Cast:
Joaquin Phoenix as Arthur Fleck / Joker
Zazie Beetz as Sophie Dumond
Frances Conroy as Penny Fleck
Brett Cullen as Thomas Wayne
Douglas Hodge as Alfred Pennyworth
Dante Pereira-Olson as Bruce Wayne
Directed By: Todd “He Directed Borat? He MUST Get The Joker!” Phillips
Plot: A failing comedian falls into some chemicals and this time he DOESN’T end up sexually harassing someone… probably?
What Happens After The Snap? Joaquin Phoenix disintegrates and Jared Leto is left standing in his place. Everyone groans.
Test Footage
Fake Trailer

Other

Hellboy
Will He Ever Become A Hellman?

Release Date: April 12th, 2019
Cast:
David Harbour as Hellboy / Anung Un Rama
Milla Jovovich as Nimue
Ian McShane as Trevor Bruttenholm:
Sasha Lane as Alice Monaghan
Daniel Dae Kim as Ben Daimio
Brian Gleeson as Merlin
Directed By: Neil “He Directed A Movie Called ‘Dog Soldiers’ And That Rules” Marshall
Plot: The beast of the apocalypse eats breakfast.
What Happens After The Snap? I mean, that’s pretty much the apocalypse itself. Hellboy retires to Tahiti.
Fake Trailer
Faker Trailer

MIB
Thor Ragnarok Reunion Special

Release Date: June 14th, 2019
Cast:
Chris Hemsworth as Agent H
Tessa Thompson as Agent M
Liam Neeson as the head of the UK branch of MIB.
Kumail Nanjiani as Pawny
Emma Thompson as Agent O
Directed By: F. Gary "Well, Don't Literally Eff Gary" Gray
Plot: The good guys dress in black. Did you remember that? Well I wanted you to know just in case you were ever face to face and made contact.
What Happens After The Snap? With no one to stop him, Vincent D'onofrio finally gets that sugar water he was wanting.
Fake Trailer
Faker Trailer

Beyond 2019
Wonder Woman 1984
Eternals
Guardians of the Galaxy 3 OR Some Kind Of Replacement?
Birds Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of one Harley Quinn)
Presumably Flash, maybe a Batman or Blue Beetle

Previous Threads:
2016: BSS Movie Thread (And The Stupenderful Articulation Of Substandard Speculation)
2013: America Isn't Ready For A Black Ant-Man
2012: Iron and Steel, Uru and Adamantium
2011: Bats, Spiders, Avengers, and Riders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I understood that reference

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is literally the first I have heard about another MIB movie.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Same. And it has a better chance of happening than anything at DC other that Wonder Woman and Aquaman.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m kind of hoping it’s good. III was way better than I expected and the first one is goddamn fantastic. I watched it recently and it still holds up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I wish the MIB/21 Jump Street crossover was still happening.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
just lol at pretending new mutants will ever come out

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think I'd rather see Magik from Disney than the current knuckleheads that are running Xmen.

I guess the other new mutants too.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

site posted:

just lol at pretending new mutants will ever come out

As a fan of the original comics of them (I just need issue 99 to have the complete series), I hope this movie doesn't come out. I want a New Mutants film, just not like this.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I loving hate when toy lines give away the plot of upcoming films

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Endless Mike posted:

I wish the MIB/21 Jump Street crossover was still happening.

:same:

I also found MiB3 to be decent, despite wasting Jermaine.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

At last, a stand out Jewish superhero.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I forgot just how bad New Mutants got delayed.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I forgot X-Men decided not to roll over and die. They should reconsider.

Hostile V
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I'm not a huge comic movie guy because I hate my job in a movie theater. That said, Spiderverse looks neat! I'm sincerely glad it's animated, the stylized choices look wonderful, excellent voice cast, lots of little meta franchise fun, it just plain looks fun and delightful.

That said, for the love of god Sony have some loving chill, you're like a teenager trying to throw a house party before your parents have pulled out of the garage.

Like Venom was a weird movie, just strangely put together and making me ever question how it could have been R save for a few scenes that involve biting off heads. And the fact that the end end end credits scene was just three minutes of a scene from Spiderverse completely devoid of context and slapped in was a bad sign and completely unsubtle. "Please for the love of god keep this movie in your mind, please go loving see it, we're doing Spiderman stuff still, we're running in this doomed franchise race, please remember it".

By all accounts, Spiderverse is good. Sony's not subtle in its cram-down-your-throat ad blitz but hey at least it's good. But there's still no chill or at the very least pokerface. "People are interested in our movie so let's greenlight a sequel before the first one even comes out! It'll join the Venom sequel and the Silver Sable movie and hell maybe the Black Cat film! gently caress it, let's give Spiderverse its own spinoff focusing on all the lady heroes of the Spiderverse! This is gonna be good, this is gonna be GREAT, we're gonna make a ton of money! Everything is coming up Sony!"

This either ends in them learning that being stupidly aggressive in their production of stuff is a "Good Idea" and they get in way too deep or this ends in flames and tears and being in too deep way faster than intended. And man am I unhappy that Spiderverse is the baby that hangs in the middle of this whole thing because gently caress Sony.

Also yeah jesus I super forgot about the delay hell that is New Mutants.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm glad NSP is getting a toy line, I want a Clown-9!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

IUG posted:

As a fan of the original comics of them (I just need issue 99 to have the complete series), I hope this movie doesn't come out. I want a New Mutants film, just not like this.

The cast looks great. That AC/DC promo image had me sold.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah it sure looked intriguing back when we first saw it in mid 2017

Cuz it was scheduled for spring 18

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m kind of hoping it’s good. III was way better than I expected and the first one is goddamn fantastic. I watched it recently and it still holds up.
I lost interest after I watched the second one, which was trash

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I didn't know Neil Marshall directed Hellboy. Marshall makes awesome horror movies (including the mentioned Dog Soldiers) so my interest is somewhat piqued now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

Same. And it has a better chance of happening than anything at DC other that Wonder Woman and Aquaman.

Aren't they having some kind of problem with WW? The fact that it has been filming and still doesn't actually have a release date isn't a good sign.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No they just changed it from November 19 to June 20. Anything about the reasons why is funnier situation and rumor, the director and star say it's because June is better release date

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I just watched Teen Titans Go To The Movies and I can't believe that the best movie DC's put out in years is one where the death of Batman's parents is played for laughs.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

TwoPair posted:

I just watched Teen Titans Go To The Movies and I can't believe that the best movie DC's put out in years is one where the death of Batman's parents is played for laughs.

But enough about Batman v Superman! :downsrim:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Tessa and Chris have been posting pics together all over social media and it seems like they're having a great time which gives me hope. I loooved MIB as a kid (& I still do) so I'm excited.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm always down for some Tessa Thompson, and I forgot she was gonna be in that. Cool.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

TwoPair posted:

TTGTTM is an absolutely wonderful movie and it's a shame that there's so many people that are going to pass on it because they don't like Teen Titans Go. :sigh:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Some odd stuff was posted about Punisher on the last page there. For me the series was a disappointment, felt very formulaic TV and padded and dull. The ensemble cast cutting to different characters such as the boring cops, the slow rise of the boring villain, all cookie cutter to me.

And those posts mentioned, I feel like that's just not getting pulpy crime fiction. And attacking fans, really odd to me. It has nothing to do with real life tragedies in the news or Trump or something to enjoy and invest in an amoral/stylized pulpy tale.

Focusing on one guy who is dedicating his life to a war on crime, there is mileage there. It's a concept that can be compelling. And it works better without the formulaic trappings they went for last time. I want to see Frank unleashed and see what happens, and it could be quite entertaining, and many clever things can be done with this concept. So I hope season 2 actually has a bit more of Frank doing what he does, and more of a pulpy feel etc.

And Daredevil ruled, speaking of well done vigilante stories, too bad these shows are all ending. At least we'll always have the classics in the comics, and maybe another good run here or there.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 2, 2018

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Heavy Metal posted:

And those posts mentioned, I feel like that's just not getting pulpy crime fiction. And attacking fans, really odd to me. It has nothing to do with real life tragedies in the news or Trump or something to enjoy and invest in an amoral/stylized pulpy tale.

Turns out "unhinged gun-nut goes around shooting people (largely minorities) because he thinks they deserve it" doesn't play as well these days for some weird reason.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kai Tave posted:

Turns out "unhinged gun-nut goes around shooting people (largely minorities) because he thinks they deserve it" doesn't play as well these days for some weird reason.

Okay, well, Punisher fans are mostly pop culture fan types, comic readers, a lot of them liberal such as myself, I dont think the attacks made on the fans were accurate or appropriate. And the #1 group targeted by Frank over the years are Italians, and that's still okay in an action setting today.

I can see how violent outlandish street level story stuff wouldn't appeal to everyone, that's okay. But it's also okay to enjoy that, and I think artistically oddly enough there's merit to something more out there and in keeping with the character.

The rules are more like a Western movie, just an outlaw on the run righting wrongs and taking out bad guys as he sees fit. And of course there are a lot of things you can do with that to keep it interesting. A show focusing on a violent man on the edge, not going to appeal to everyone. That's fine. The pulpy noir John Woo cocktail is still a drat fine thing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dunno if youve looked outside in the past five years or so but the punisher is pretty popular with cops, lovely military guys and right wing militias

Also i couldn't help but laugh at " the series was a disappointment, felt very formulaic TV and padded and dull. The ensemble cast cutting to different characters such as the boring cops, the slow rise of the boring villain, all cookie cutter to me" but then saying dd was a well done vigilante show

site fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 2, 2018

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

All the Netflix shows could use better pacing and are a tad padded, I myself do find the ensemble cast dynamic fits Daredevil better, and overall found it the best myself. With JJ season 1 right up there.

And sure, there are ignorant or hateful people who like some pop fantasy stuff we like, maybe they like Star Wars too. A bit sweeping and lame to paint fans of vintage Punisher that way here in BSS though. We can handle weird stuff, we read comics.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ive read a fuckton of punisher but im under no illusion that netflix is making a show aimed at me the extreme minority viewer. We're just a tiny percentage of the audience

But like, using punisher as a vehicle to talk abiut the abandonment of vets by the govt, dealing with ptsd and the crimes of war and the fallout of violence, the shady poo poo that the military and pmcs get up to, not only is that not cookie cutter for comic books stories, those are also themes of some of the best punisher stories. So i mean, are you just a fan of punisher when hes murdering people or what

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Heavy Metal posted:

And sure, there are ignorant or hateful people who like some pop fantasy stuff we like, maybe they like Star Wars too.

Cops aren't decorating their squad cars with the Rebel Alliance logo.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Optimus Prime was in our military though.

It's cool that you liked it, to me it felt like something you'd see on TNT or USA. The focus on veterans I personally found not so well done, this kind of moral of the week stuff has been covered in similar beats in a lot of shows I've seen. And the plot arc of the season, how it played out, to me it felt cookie cutter. And I enjoy crime stories, stylized ones, sure violence is part of it, but just action isnt what I dig about it. But while explaining my ideal Punisher show is cool, I mostly was just appalled and felt like chiming in to defend fans of violent crazy stories. Think Casey Jones and Raphael the turtle.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 2, 2018

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
"Formulaic" is a boring way to criticize media. I mean yeah, I've seen American Sniper. I've seen plenty of movies with Something To Say About PTSD. The Punisher handling it was just so unexpected and refreshing. I especially like it as a reflection of Civil War or The Dark Knight. A lot of superhero properties make mention of the inherent destructive nature of superheroics or otherwise ask us to reflect on what our heroes do and what it costs. The Punisher accomplishes a lot of that in showing instead of telling. Every time Frank goes on a tear, it is meant to be viewed as a defeat. A regression. You're not supposed to enjoy the ultra violence because Frank doesn't even enjoy the ultra violence. Versus The Avengers happening to blow up a city while glamorously fighting a bunch of faceless mooks and saving the universe.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Saying a TV show is formulaic is bad, saying somebody you're talking with's opinion is boring... is good? We've both taken in a ton of media I'm sure, I found say True Detective s1 to be sublime and masterful etc. I didn't happen to dig this season on TV, it's cool that you dug it, but sharing our perspectives is the goal here, ideally while being excellent to eachother.

And formulaic wasn't referring to the focus on veterans, that was about how the show was put together and structured. I did find that aspect for me wasn't done that well, sure. Especially that one guy (hole digging fellow), there have been many a TV episode dedicated to a character like that. Likable vet who does bad stuff and we feel bad etc. And it's cool if you dug it, hey pun intended. My ideal Punisher show isn't all about action, but him for example going about his war on crime, findings ways to take down the crime syndicates etc, or trying to, and various interesting characters and weird stuff that could happen. And of course pathos since this guy is on a mission that can only end one way, and has nothing else to live for etc. And the previous page was a bit unwelcoming towards Punisher fans, or at least a couple posts, which was my point here, more so than critiquing the show.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 2, 2018

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

Saying a TV show is formulaic is bad, saying somebody you're talking with's opinion is boring... is good? We've both taken in a ton of media I'm sure, I found say True Detective s1 to be sublime and masterful etc. I didn't happen to dig this season on TV, it's cool that you dug it, but sharing our perspectives is the goal here, ideally while being excellent to eachother.

And formulaic wasn't referring to the focus on veterans, that was about how the show was put together and structured. I did find that aspect for me wasn't done that well, sure. Especially that one guy (hole digging fellow), there have been many a TV episode dedicated to a character like that. Likable vet who does bad stuff and we feel bad etc. And it's cool if you dug it, hey pun intended. My ideal Punisher show isn't all about action, but him for example going about his war on crime, findings ways to take down the crime syndicates etc, or trying to, and various interesting characters and weird stuff that could happen. And of course pathos since this guy is on a mission that can only end one way, and has nothing else to live for etc. And the previous page was a bit unwelcoming towards Punisher fans, or at least a couple posts, which was my point here, more so than critiquing the show.
That might be more in Season 2, who knows. We did get a little of that in DD Season 2.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the only two posts about punisher on that last page specifically pointed out which segment of the fanbase they were talking about, so unless you're a part of that segment i'm not sure what there is to get offended by

i guess it may just be me, but being the only comic property that ends with the main character rejecting vigilantism to attempt a return to normalcy seems kinda not by the book either

site fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

site posted:

the only two posts about punisher on that last page specifically pointed out which segment of the fanbase they were talking about, so unless you're a part of that segment i'm not sure what there is to get offended by

i guess it may just be me, but being the only comic property that ends with the main character rejecting vigilantism to attempt a return to normalcy seems kinda not by the book either

I didn't say I was offended, I said appalled. And the second post did say they hate Punisher and the culture around it etc, I get it's not saying literally every fan and aimed at me in particular, but it does to me show a kind of direct way of critiquing art/entertainment that I don't quite dig. Plus in general suggesting that Punisher as is wasn't something that would be good, or what have you, when I myself do think it would be good, so I'm chiming in there. And hey, it's cool that you liked the show.

(editor's note: I'm not really appalled, posters from previous page, it's all good, I'm just ranting about funnyman Frank Castle here and how he's a great guy)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 2, 2018