Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!
Isn't MNF still a ratings monster? Plus ESPN is owned by Disney, so there's corporate synergy as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's an attempt to get as many eyes on the trailer as possible.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea and they know us Nerds will just watch it online.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
This is a weird choice on the surface given Marvel Studios’ previous lack of interest in what have traditionally been street-level characters in the comics, but I guess it might make sense if they want to push it as another “prestige” superhero franchise a la Black Panther, as the article suggests.

https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1069645211716861954?s=21

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I'll be stoked if they go full Shaw Bros but it seems martial arts as a genre lends itself to personal stories(low stakes by Marvel's standards) more than super heroics. It's gonna be a tough sell that Kung Fu is the only answer to whatever threat the plot sets up unless it involves some kind of undercover triad angle or it's.... wait for it....

....kumite!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I'll be stoked if they go full Shaw Bros but it seems martial arts as a genre lends itself to personal stories(low stakes by Marvel's standards) more than super heroics. It's gonna be a tough sell that Kung Fu is the only answer to whatever threat the plot sets up unless it involves some kind of undercover triad angle or it's.... wait for it....

....kumite!

tbh I have a feeling that they’ll play up the mystical elements with not-Fu Manchu and that this will be something of an ersatz Iron Fist movie

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Which is cool by me (Wuxia forever!) but if it's magical stuff why wouldn't Doctor Strange lock it down? I know the comics just conveniently ignore this sort of conundrum and we've all been forced to accept it but the movies are a different game.

I guess I really don't care, I just want to see a cocky yet charming Bruce Lee type trounce a skyscraper's worth of goons without getting touched.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I hope in the movie every time she clenches her fists, lens flares shoot out.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 3, 2018

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Glad they're leaning into the Super Saiyan thing. I'm an endless sucker for that poo poo.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Sgt. Politeness posted:

So the Captain Marvel trailer (2?) nnnnndrop is during Monday Night Football? Is this an attempt to get dudebros hyped for Marvel's first big lady movie or is there some other strategy at play?

It's corporate synergy and it's a "for the wives" thing. They did a similar thing with the new trailer for Aladdin which is generally not considered a 'male demographic' movie.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I am unreasonably excited for this movie.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

RevKrule posted:

They did a similar thing with the new trailer for Aladdin which is generally not considered a 'male demographic' movie.

Which is a hilarious concept to any male in his early 30s unless he's desperately trying to distance himself from his childhood in some misguided attempt to be taken seriously as a macho toughguy.

I mean I get it, and I was pretty far from butch as a kid but I definitely didn't think of Aladdin as for girls solely because it was a Disney property/musical.
That said, I don't think I've seen any of the live action remakes they've been doing so I guess I am no longer the demo.

Teenage Fansub posted:

It just occurred to me: Have you guys heard any chatter from the uninitiated about how Captain Marvel is a rip-off of Supergirl or anything?

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 3, 2018

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Barry Convex posted:

This is a weird choice on the surface given Marvel Studios’ previous lack of interest in what have traditionally been street-level characters in the comics, but I guess it might make sense if they want to push it as another “prestige” superhero franchise a la Black Panther, as the article suggests.

https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1069645211716861954?s=21
Somewhere right now, Scarlett Johansson is desperately attempting to contact her agent

"But but but Asians doing kung fu is offensive!" wailed ten thousand white posters.

Finally, your chance to have Mandarin in the MCU

Uh anyway, another great bit of movie news, following the Blue Beetle news from a couple days ago. :buddy:

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 3, 2018

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Which is a hilarious concept to any male in his early 30s unless he's desperately trying to distance himself from his childhood in some misguided attempt to be taken seriously as a macho toughguy.

I mean I get it, and I was pretty far from butch as a kid but I definitely didn't think of Aladdin as for girls solely because it was a Disney property/musical.
That said, I don't think I've seen any of the live action remakes they've been doing so I guess I am no longer the demo.

The opening number in Aladdin is the realest poo poo there is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VdZewCFyfg

quote:

One jump ahead of the lawmen
That's all and that's no joke
These guys don't appreciate I'm broke

That's legit. Also the moral of the story is you can't ethically go from poor to rich without literal magic in any society with a class system.

Aladdin is legit. I mean, barring the 90s family friendly racism. My biggest gripe with the remakes is that Desus and Mero should have been Timon and Pumba 🤷🏾‍♀️

Edit: posted and remembered what thread I was in. Sorry for the Disney derail 😬

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I bet this Shang Chi movie is how Nicolas Cage finally gets to play Fu Manchu for real.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Are there a ton of lovely Redditt posts admonishing Captain marvel to smile more yet?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Trailer isn't out yet man give it a few hours. We'll get there.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Are there a ton of lovely Redditt posts admonishing Captain marvel to smile more yet?

Yeah, but that's been happening since the first trailer.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

BiggerBoat posted:

Brie Larson snapped in the most beautiful way and Photoshopped pictures of Captain America, Iron Man, and Doctor Strange onto their movie posters then posted those on her Instagram.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/09/20/captain-marvel-brie-larson-trolls-smiling-photoshop/

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm sure there will be another round of shops an hour or two after the new trailer drops

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Sgt. Politeness posted:

....kumite!
Maybe give it to the Raid guys

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

I'm sure there will be another round of shops an hour or two after the new trailer drops

Will it have Captain Marvel punching an old (skrull) lady again, though?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yes and the old lady's line right before will be "I voted for trump to kick out the illegals"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Need one of Thanos smiling

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Agaragon posted:

Brie Larson snapped in the most beautiful way and Photoshopped pictures of Captain America, Iron Man, and Doctor Strange onto their movie posters then posted those on her Instagram.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/09/20/captain-marvel-brie-larson-trolls-smiling-photoshop/

That was actually Larson who did that? I thought it was some random person online, but that makes it even cooler.

E: ah,

quote:

Larson noticed that other social media users applied the same Photoshop techniques on the Marvel Cinematic Universe's male stars and shared the images on her Instagram page.
Still awesome.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

achillesforever6 posted:

Maybe give it to the Raid guys

Wasn't Iko Uwais doing an actual mystical martial arts TV show? For Netflix or Amazon Prime, I can't remember which one.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Trailer 2. Serious Binary-looking action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LHxvxdRnYc

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 4, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Will it have Captain Marvel punching an old (skrull) lady again, though?

Well I’m satisfied with this new trailer

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

mikeraskol posted:

OMG KITTY!!!!!

You know, I realized in Iron Man 1 Tony Stark says to Rhoady "What about a pilot without a plane" and here we go.

(Yes I know he was talking about the Iron Man suit, but this is even more accurate)

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

mikeraskol posted:

This is going to be a good movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I’m there for the part where her mask turns off and her hair flops back down.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The last 10 seconds or so really set up how far above everyone else she is

And mohawk helm! Hyped.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

"What part of the first trailer did everyone respond to?"
"Captain Marvel punching out the old lady"
"Okay, start the next trailer with that."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

howe_sam posted:

And then have the old lady do a sweet spin kick then get faceplanted into a steel pole.

Samuringa posted:

The last 10 seconds or so really set up how far above everyone else she is

And mohawk helm! Hyped.

She's an X-wing without a Luke.

I guess they're not going to use either her origonal or updated origin, looks like she somehow gets kidnapped by the Kree and turned into one on purpose rather than it being an accident or (spoilers for The Life of Captain Marvel) Her mom is actually a Kree

I'm also thinking there will only be one Captain Marvel, and Jude Law is Yon-Rogg. It's also a bit pie in the sky to hope Noh-varr appears in this movie in some form.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

^^ Jude Law's character has been confirmed as that by a leaked Funko pop.

howe_sam posted:

I think they had too many olds very upset that someone wasn't showing them the RESPECT they deserve by doing nothing more than living too loving long. So they decided to show the rest of it that it wasn't really someone hitting them for being so loving done with their poo poo but really it was an alien battle on the subway like every normal day.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I know the Raid guys are hot right now and they do good work (see Civil War) but they tend towards the brutal realism style that's popular these days but I want to see some Yuen Woo-Pingesq flair.

I want to be able to see Shang-Chi switch between mantis and crane, I know Jeet Kune Do kinda put the old styles to rest but mastering all forms of martial arts is kinda his thing and the best way to show it in my opinion is to differentiate him from every other Blood Punch McMMA guy in superhero movies and give him a fluid graceful approach.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I know the Raid guys are hot right now and they do good work (see Civil War) but they tend towards the brutal realism style that's popular these days but I want to see some Yuen Woo-Pingesq flair.

I want to be able to see Shang-Chi switch between mantis and crane, I know Jeet Kune Do kinda put the old styles to rest but mastering all forms of martial arts is kinda his thing and the best way to show it in my opinion is to differentiate him from every other Blood Punch McMMA guy in superhero movies and give him a fluid graceful approach.

Yea, have Shang Chi be like a big budget Shaw Brothers film. Crazy wire work and everyone flying and flipping around and such.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I guess they're not going to use either her origonal or updated origin, looks like she somehow gets kidnapped by the Kree and turned into one on purpose rather than it being an accident

The way I read that trailer is that it was an accident, the Kree just told her they made her a Kree to make her indebted and fight for them in the war because they recognized how powerful she could be. But maybe I'm extrapolating a lot, I don't see why you keep showing that post-airplane crash explosion thing if that isn't what gave her powers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

mikeraskol posted:

The way I read that trailer is that it was an accident, the Kree just told her they made her a Kree to make her indebted and fight for them in the war because they recognized how powerful she could be. But maybe I'm extrapolating a lot, I don't see why you keep showing that post-airplane crash explosion thing if that isn't what gave her powers.

A detail there is she has blue blood coming out of her nose in that scene, so its possible that's after she was turned into a kree (but before she was brainedwashed?). Or they could just have hosed up her memory making her think that the crash was when she was Kree, but things like having a USAF flight suit make the memory weird to her. The trailer implies heavily that while on Hala she's dreaming about her Human life. Its not worth speculating at this point, but when I mean accident, i mean specifically the accident that created her in the comics with the psychomagnetron blowing up and part of Mar-vell being absorbed into Carol. A different accident is totally possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Excellent trailer and Carol is probably a sleeper Skrull.