Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

They'll be open, and populated by the masses of the wasteland looking for shelter. Wanderers will pass the TGI Fridays in the parking lot, a tattered "PICKUP AVAILABLE" banner flapping in the wind, never knowing that a rifle has been trained on them from the ticket window the entire time. They'll just adjust their dust mask and reshoulder their packs and move along, leaving the relieved denizens of the Unseen Kingdom of the AMC 15 behind them.

A coming soon poster for New Mutants is regarded as an object of worship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My initial reaction to the Snyder Cut news was "Uggggghhhhh, I guess it's good for them, but this kind of sets a bad precedent," but now that Ayer is jockeying for a loving "Ayer Cut" I've gone straight back into "gently caress this" mode. Fandoms being loud and obnoxious for months on end to facilitate a goal of revising cinematic history is not going to end well and is absolutely going to embolden awful people into harassing others. People can't just not like a movie and move on with their loving lives any more, it's now an opportunity to get even more invested and demand changes. Any perceived artistic compromise is now grounds for overhauling the entire loving thing. This sucks.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So he got his rear end kicked in a flashback huh.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

They'll be open, and populated by the masses of the wasteland looking for shelter.

Then the masses will say "What? These prices are ridiculous" then leave and go to a convenience store to buy cheap snacks to stuff in their pockets and sneak in.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Arist posted:

My initial reaction to the Snyder Cut news was "Uggggghhhhh, I guess it's good for them, but this kind of sets a bad precedent," but now that Ayer is jockeying for a loving "Ayer Cut" I've gone straight back into "gently caress this" mode. Fandoms being loud and obnoxious for months on end to facilitate a goal of revising cinematic history is not going to end well and is absolutely going to embolden awful people into harassing others. People can't just not like a movie and move on with their loving lives any more, it's now an opportunity to get even more invested and demand changes. Any perceived artistic compromise is now grounds for overhauling the entire loving thing. This sucks.

Eh. People will always find excuses to be huge passionate assholes. Religion, politics, sports, those two guys from Twilight, NSync vs Backstreet Boys. People are pricks and they look for things to latch onto and go to war over.

I mean, I don't really care about Snyder or Justice League but anyone being a smug prick either way probably has other places of interest they're the same with.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 29, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Arist posted:

Do you think you would feel the same way if because of all this, Disney ends up announcing the “restored” despecialized versions of the original Star Wars trilogy?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Arist posted:

Any perceived artistic compromise is now grounds for overhauling the entire loving thing. This sucks.
:what:

This isn't, like, Marvel saying "We can't have a female villain in IM3 that won't sell".

In one case the studio gave final cut to a drat trailer making factory.

And we already have Director's cuts of poo poo like Brazil, Blade Runner, and Superman II

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Codependent Poster posted:

So he got his rear end kicked in a flashback huh.

Oh, poo poo, you're right. That's just an extended flashback isn't it?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Arist posted:

People can't just not like a movie and move on with their loving lives any more, it's now an opportunity to get even more invested and demand changes. Any perceived artistic compromise is now grounds for overhauling the entire loving thing. This sucks.

Why does this bother you? I thought Suicide squad sucked and have no interest in watching another cut of it, but if there's enough people who want to see it, what's wrong with it getting touched up and released?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it only really matters if like you invest in the tribalism over the films or the over the top fights so think now Snyder folks "won" or will become worse or whatever.

"They" might be worse but like... life is learning how to deal with or avoid the annoying assholes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Do you think you would feel the same way if because of all this, Disney ends up announcing the “restored” despecialized versions of the original Star Wars trilogy?

That's a pretty bad comparison because in that case it is people wanting the original version made available, not asking for changes to an existing product.

It would be comparable if the announcement of the Snyder Cut or Ayers Cut mean the existing version was no longer available in any way.

Patrick Spens posted:

Why does this bother you? I thought Suicide squad sucked and have no interest in watching another cut of it, but if there's enough people who want to see it, what's wrong with it getting touched up and released?

The biggest concern is that it will be used by lovely people to effectively erase or replace things they find objectionable.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 29, 2020

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Madkal posted:

Hey guys. Did you know that there are bad Batman movies and good Batman movies. Well now you know, but no-one knows which one is which. For instance I will say Batman 89 is a good movie but Batman Returns is not a good movie but someone will disagree with me. Crazy right. Well now you know.

i got the two animated Adam West Batman movie blurays in today and i don't know if they're meant to be good or not but The Shat playing Two Face against Adam West Batman is an idea i am very much here for

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ruddiger posted:

those are the original loving versions of those movies that haven't been widely available for decades, there's absolutely no comparison

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Ayer cut has a lot more Joker, it must be worse.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ayers cut was the original cut of the movie.

Star Wars 77 with the original crawl doesn’t even exits outside of the very first original film prints, they changed the crawl to say episode IV for the home releases, so how is this different, other than personal preferences and biases?

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 29, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ayer's cut was so bad they threw it to a loving trailer house

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ruddiger posted:

Star Wars 77 with the original crawl doesn’t even exits outside of the very first original film prints, they changed the crawl to say episode IV for the home releases, so how is this different, other than personal preferences and biases?

Oh no, the title is different in the opening crawl, that's totally what I was talking about

If the original version of the film legitimately doesn't loving exist anymore that's something else entirely. If all that the original home releases change is the opening crawl then who gives a poo poo?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The people who claim they want the “uncompromised editions” or whatever? Don’t ask me to explain the psychosis of Star Wars fans, I don’t want anything to do with a fandom that bullies actors into suicidal depression just because they reacted negatively against a movie entry into their favorite franchise and get aggravated while demanding something they think they saw when they were children.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ruddiger posted:

That isn't really the same at all, no.

The issue with Star Wars is not that the newer cuts exist but that the older ones have been intentionally made unavailable. (Either through intentional restriction or by actual destruction of the original source.) If there was an option to pick your version on the Blu-Ray/You could just buy an 'original version' then it would go away because what people are requesting is the original version that existed for years.

The issue with the Snyder Cut isn't it being released. (It is absolutely 100% fine for it to be released.) It is that it is another recent case of fan pressure demanding changes to a film because they didn't like it. This isn't even universally bad. (Pretty much everyone agrees, for example, that Sonic the Hedgehog came out better. Well, except for the VFX artists they hosed over.) But it's part of an uncomfortable trend where movies are being 'fixed' for fans instead of accepting something is flawed. Which is great when you're talking about a piece of poo poo like the original Justice League film but is less great when it can come to other issues. The Rise of Skywalker for example basically bent over backwards to please the lovely reddit crowd and the idea of making changes to an already finished film to please the lovely reddit crowd is genuinely crappy. We're already getting awful situations where scenes are being crafted to be removed from films without issue because god forbid they show a homosexual onscreen.

It's also incredibly disingenuous to refer to an extremely minor change to the opening crawl to significant changes to tone, pacing and cinematography. (Especially because it would be entirely reasonable to include the original crawl as an extra or option on a new release.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 29, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ruddiger posted:

The people who claim they want the “uncompromised editions” or whatever? Don’t ask me to explain the psychosis of Star Wars fans, I don’t want anything to do with a fandom that bullies actors into suicidal depression just because they reacted negatively against a movie entry into “their” favorite franchise and get aggravated while demanding something they think they saw when they were children.

This has nothing to do with my point. When people say they want the original version of Star Wars, they aren't talking about whether or not it says "Episode IV" at the beginning, they're talking about the screen not being full of weird CGI garbage everywhere and outright changing character details.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
That's definitely what a Zack Snyder Darkseid would look like.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

The biggest concern is that it will be used by lovely people to effectively erase or replace things they find objectionable.

So the worry is that chuds will see the Synder/Ayer cut happen due to public pressure and then think they can use public pressure to e.g. Cancel Captain Marvel 2? Or that Synder/Ayer fans are chuds and giving them what they want is empowering them directly?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think we have to worry that Richard Spencer and Jordan Peterson will launch a ReEdit campaign to get Rose Tico out of The Last Jedi.

But gently caress, it's 2020 this is like 50-50.

Really though Disney's recent loving with Splash, Lilo & Stitch and Wizards of Waverly Place is way more worrysome.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 29, 2020

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

FilthyImp posted:

I don't think we have to worry that Richard Spencer and Jordan Peterson will launch a ReEdit campaign to get Rose Tico out of The Last Jedi.

But gently caress, it's 2020 this is like 50-50.

If Jordan Peterson does that while in a coma in a Russian hospital, then who are we to deny him at that point?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm trying to be cup half full about it. This is a really extraordinary circumstance, a once-in-a-lifetime experiment for a project that very noticeably went through some once-in-a-lifetime ringers, and the end days are upon us anyway so hey what else are VFX artists gonna do in the meantime?

I don't know if this is really comparable to the Sonic situation either; filmmakers making big changes to their projects due to audience reactions before release isn't completely unprecedented.

Also, we probably shouldn't overestimate the amount of goodwill this sort of thing generates. The weirdo fanatics are getting their jollies obviously, but if the weirdo fanatics were in the majority then we wouldn't be here in the first place. The overall reaction I've seen in most places to the JL news is a more tepid "Sure, cool I guess."

And also like...we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves. Snyder still has to make a good film before this becomes the vaunted norm, and really what are the chances of that? :v: If this hot anticipated experiment turns out to be just another BvS then no one's gonna try to replicate it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

STAC Goat posted:

All this Snyder Cut stuff inspired me to fire up Justice League when I was checking out HBO Max yesterday and after like 90 minutes I just gave up

Isn't it like only 90 minutes anyway?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Technically Disney already caved with the 4:3 Simpsons release next month

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Isn't it like only 90 minutes anyway?

2 hours, I believe. I was most of the way through but like... I just didn't care.

Point I was trying to make is that the film feels loooooooong and making it twice as long is definitely not enticing to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Patrick Spens posted:

So the worry is that chuds will see the Synder/Ayer cut happen due to public pressure and then think they can use public pressure to e.g. Cancel Captain Marvel 2? Or that Synder/Ayer fans are chuds and giving them what they want is empowering them directly?

The former. There are Chuds among Snyder and especially Ayers fans but that is because there are chuds among any fanbase these days. The biggest concern basically amounts to the twofold step of A) Showing that being loud constantly and frequently works and B) Setting a precedent for 'replacing' films people find objectionable.

And obviously being able to make your voice heard is a Good Thing but it runs into the issue of pressure existing both ways and studios showing they are willing to bend to pressure. Disney Plus is under a lot of scrutiny because they are making subtle edits to content to either whitewash older movie's content. A lot of the original content is still available assuming you have access to old VHSes/DVDs or can find 'fan' versions but as streaming becomes an increasingly major part of people's view habits it is really disturbing to see that these sorts of things can be demanded. Obviously the Snyder Cut is not a bad thing on its own and it is effectively harmless in that it has zero chance of memory holing the original Justice League. It's just another stone on the scale.

Movies exist and the idea of constantly going back and 'fixing' them was already uncomfortable when you could comfortably find the originals in some form. When the originals become no longer accessible that is the larger issue. The Snyder Cut doesn't seem to have that issue so it's mostly just another worry about the loudest shittiest part of the internet being shown that being loud works.

Retro Futurist posted:

Technically Disney already caved with the 4:3 Simpsons release next month

Are they still pretending the Michael Jackson episode never existed?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Roth posted:

If Jordan Peterson does that while in a coma in a Russian hospital, then who are we to deny him at that point?

You mean from beyond the graaaaaaave. Jorp is dead.

And Suicide Squad has the exact same problem JL has, its villain is bad. Even if the rumors the origonal idea was to have Leto's Joker was the villain is just bad in a different way. From being boring to being stupid, and annoying.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

What's Disney+ doing? All I remember is the right wing having a weird one when they couldn't decide how they felt about they putting disclaimers on Song of the South and the super racist Fantasia segment. Or editing them? I can't remember. But the conversation seems to suggest they've gone the other way on stuff.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The villain of suicide squad is Waller, I think a different edit could make that more apparent and more interesting

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

You mean from beyond the graaaaaaave. Jorp is dead.

I must have missed that update

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

I'm trying to be cup half full about it. This is a really extraordinary circumstance, a once-in-a-lifetime experiment for a project that very noticeably went through some once-in-a-lifetime ringers, and the end days are upon us anyway so hey what else are VFX artists gonna do in the meantime?
I'm not sure I'd say these were "once-in-a-lifetime ringers." Both Rogue One and Solo went through significant reshoots, story edits, and directoral changes in the course of production. Rogue One, in particular, has a pretty noticeable shift in tone that probably only happened when Disney noticed they were turning the Rebellion into straight-up jihadists.

I guess neither had to CGI out anyone's mustache, though.

Release the mustache cut coward HBO Max.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

STAC Goat posted:

What's Disney+ doing? All I remember is the right wing having a weird one when they couldn't decide how they felt about they putting disclaimers on Song of the South and the super racist Fantasia segment. Or editing them? I can't remember. But the conversation seems to suggest they've gone the other way on stuff.

The one I've heard of is that a bare rear end got digitally covered up in Splash. What is less clear is did Disney do this deliberately or did they upload the airline cut of film by mistake, like what happened with Back to the Future and Netflix last week.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Arist posted:

This has nothing to do with my point. When people say they want the original version of Star Wars, they aren't talking about whether or not it says "Episode IV" at the beginning, they're talking about the screen not being full of weird CGI garbage everywhere and outright changing character details.

They're also, you know, films of historical/cultural importance. A phrase that will never be associated with Suicide Squad or Justice League, inshallah.

ndor
Jan 17, 2020

by Cyrano4747

ImpAtom posted:

The former. There are Chuds among Snyder and especially Ayers fans but that is because there are chuds among any fanbase these days. The biggest concern basically amounts to the twofold step of A) Showing that being loud constantly and frequently works and B) Setting a precedent for 'replacing' films people find objectionable.

The Snyder Cut doesn't seem to have that issue so it's mostly just another worry about the loudest shittiest part of the internet being shown that being loud works.

As far as I remember, comic book fans and others have been constantly and frequently vocal that Snyder's movies are offensive to common decency and that they should be buried and forgotten. And for a while it seemed like it worked.

It kinda seems like changing franchise movies by being vocal is bad now as opposed to before.

e: Like I don't think people should pretend that vocal criticism hasn't always had influence on the production of these kinds of franchise movies. Changing an existing product is not as radical as it seems.

ndor fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 29, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm sure that somewhere out there there are very vocal groups of people declaring Zack Snyder the devil and his films vile works that should be burned (it is the internet after all), but I gotta admit I've never actually seen it. I've seen dumbass tribalism of "DC vs Marvel." I've seen "Snyder is an objectivist". I've seen "shut the gently caress about Snyder, he sucks!" But I've managed to completely avoid the corners of the internet that apparently really hate the guy and can't shut up about him.

Ultimately it probably just comes down to the fact that I don't find his work that interesting so I don't seek out conversation or discussion about it or have strong feelings that draw strong counter feelings.

Although I'm weirdly obsessed with Snyder right now on my watchlists. I was gonna rewatch Sucker Punch after Justice League and see if it wasn't the bad movie I thought it was when I saw it. But maybe I'll just re-watch Dawn of the Dead. I actually like that one. Or maybe I'll finally watch 300. I am deeply susceptible to the power of advertising and suggestion.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Oh, poo poo, you're right. That's just an extended flashback isn't it?

Yeah, it's him invading Earth instead of Steppenwolf. So proto-Darkseid fails the one time we see him and he's supposed to be built up as a big villain. Not exactly the way I'd go about introducing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't know that "add more stuff to the flashback that looked more interesting than the story we were in" is really a positive direction. When people said Darkseid (or whatever his other name is) was in it I assumed they meant he shows up at the end of the film. Not as a weird footnote.

Like if its just Thanos in Avengers being set up as a bigger deal for later, that's fine. But all that's worth is a response and some curiosity to the next film. It doesn't help the one you're in.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 29, 2020