Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Y'all are making me want to make an actual video essay about MoS and that's Not A Good Thing

Endless Mike posted:

I'm not sure I'd say these were "once-in-a-lifetime ringers." Both Rogue One and Solo went through significant reshoots, story edits, and directoral changes in the course of production. Rogue One, in particular, has a pretty noticeable shift in tone that probably only happened when Disney noticed they were turning the Rebellion into straight-up jihadists.

I guess neither had to CGI out anyone's mustache, though.

Release the mustache cut coward HBO Max.
I haven't seen Solo, and the production for that does sound pretty cray...but as far as Rogue One goes, my impression is that it ended up being a fairly coherent film even with the BTS shenanigans and rewrites and reshoots. I mean, I've never heard of Gareth Edwards going online to whine about his vision being squashed or anything like that, and at the end of the day it's still a pretty dark film, albeit heroically so. I'd love to see the original footage/storyline for movies like that (I could vent forever about the changes made to the 2010 Clash of the Titans remake), but the fact is that this sort of thing is pretty conventional. Films sometimes get changed a lot midway through, for better or for worse.

An actual ringer I'm thinking of is like...y'know. A child passing away. Joss Whedon. That kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BrianWilly posted:

Y'all are making me want to make an actual video essay about MoS and that's Not A Good Thing
Oh God, no more, please. If it was my fault for saying I wasn't interested in Snyder's films I'm sorry. Man of Steel is brilliant. I love it and appreciate it. I love all those scenes and coloring and light. The tornado thing totally works. I'm sorry. I make amends! Just please no more screenshots!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

They're also, you know, films of historical/cultural importance. A phrase that will never be associated with Suicide Squad or Justice League, inshallah.

The whole Snyder Cut campaign, coupled with Sonic's redesign, probably means it's too late for you.

Arist posted:

Ayer's cut was so bad they threw it to a loving trailer house

Or that's why it's bad in the first place? From what I can tell a lot of serious complaints about the theatrical release (editing, characters arcs, the story) was because of the butchering it went through. Ayer's version had a lot more of Harley and Enchantress.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I don't know that "add more stuff to the flashback that looked more interesting than the story we were in" is really a positive direction. When people said Darkseid (or whatever his other name is) was in it I assumed they meant he shows up at the end of the film. Not as a weird footnote.

Like if its just Thanos in Avengers being set up as a bigger deal for later, that's fine. But all that's worth is a response and some curiosity to the next film. It doesn't help the one you're in.

If I remember correctly, which I believe I do, in Snyder's version, there's a scene where Wonder Woman discovers some murals, which then dips into a flashback of a pre-darkseid Uxas invading and taking on the Greek pantheon before departing. Darkseid proper I think is then mentioned a few times and shows up at the end of the film.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 29, 2020

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

So I'm guessing Ava Duvernay and Tom King's New Gods movie will show what happened to Uxas after that defeat on Earth.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dan Didio posted:

Darkseid proper I think is then mentioned a few times and shows up at the end of the film.
The Forces of Ancient Earth repel Darkseid. He reappears after Steppenwolf gets his head cut off, as the head rolls across a boom tube and Darkseid picks it up.

STAC Goat posted:

What's Disney+ doing?
Affore-mentioned Splash buttcrack censoring. Altered a scene in Lilo & Stitch where Lilo hides in an oven (they drew a pizza box instead of the oven door), used a blur filter to de-emphasize a character's hint of cleavage in a YA show.

And that's the ones people have noticed so far.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 29, 2020

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

FilthyImp posted:

The Forces of Ancient Earth repel Darkseid. He reappears after Steppenwolf gets his head cut off, as the head rolls across a boom tube and Darkseid picks it up.

Ah, okay, I've only really gleaned bits and pieces from people talking about it nonstop across the vast interweb.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

FilthyImp posted:

Affore-mentioned Splash buttcrack censoring. Altered a scene in Lilo & Stitch where Lilo hides in an oven (they drew a pizza box instead of the oven door), used a blur filter to de-emphasize a character's hint of cleavage in a YA show.

And that's the ones people have noticed so far.

I believe the Lilo & Stitch bit was done for the original UK release, I guess to stop kids from repeating it?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Arist posted:

they're talking about the screen not being full of weird CGI garbage everywhere

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

An important thing to remember about this whole Snyder Cut business is the context it's happening in. Studios have been using director's cuts as an excuse to get a second release of their movies for decades; add in some deleted scenes and recut some of the audio mastering and you can get its fanbase to buy the VHS/DVD all over again, or if you're lucky even get another theatrical run. The only reason they wouldn't have done this before now is that Snyder's cut wasn't in a releasable state and it would have cost too much to get it mastered well enough to release.

But now? All the cinemas are closed and every studio is having a hell of a time shooting. It's the perfect time to have a potential popular movie that the footage is already shot for. This isn't some huge scalp for lovely fans - though clearly plenty are trying their luck in response to it - it's a movie studio doing what they can to get what money they can in a pandemic.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think the timing is coincidence. They started hyping this up in November, the announcement timing is likely just because HBO Max is launching.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The MSJ posted:

Or that's why it's bad in the first place? From what I can tell a lot of serious complaints about the theatrical release (editing, characters arcs, the story) was because of the butchering it went through. Ayer's version had a lot more of Harley and Enchantress.

I've never heard Ayer's cut was terrible, more that the studio wanted something along the lines of Guardians of the Galaxy so that's why they tossed it to the trailer house.

Aphrodite posted:

I think the timing is coincidence. They started hyping this up in November, the announcement timing is likely just because HBO Max is launching.

One thing that amused me was people saying "um, if you don't like JLA nobody is asking you to watch the new one" and the logical response is "No, no, HBO Max is all but begging us to."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Also social media was extremely negative on all the promotional material for the film especially joker, I think WB was just desperate for it to be "mainstream", which I put in quotes because making something mainstream is impossible when you don't know what that is, which they clearly didn't

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Aphrodite posted:

The Ayer cut has a lot more Joker, it must be worse.

This bears repeating. Jared Leto sucks.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jared Leto as a person sucks but his Joker was absolutely fine.

I like in Harley's family life fantasy where he isn't the Joker he's still clearly a Norman Bates level psychopath, readily apparent just by looking at him and he doesn't even have lines.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Nah his Joker was real bad and gross, especially in the strip club scene. I don't know how much of that was Leto and how much was bad writing, but there it is.

I'm actually interested in an Ayer cut, not because I think it will be good, but because the current cut of Suicide Squad was so badly made at such an elemental level that an Ayer cut's release can help future film students as a forensic tool, the same way that olde timey chirurgeons learned about biology by dissecting two-headed mutant calves.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
At the least I hope Ayer's cut won't have 7 Classic Rock songs in the first 10 minutes of the film, or Enchantress loving air-humping things as weirdy voodo magicks.

I'd also like to know which writer decided El Diablo would become a FEARSOME AZTEC WARRIOR ESSE because all that was missing from that hilariously terrible s ene was him pulling up in a hellfire lowrider that left Raider Nation symbols in its wake.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

At the least I hope Ayer's cut won't have 7 Classic Rock songs in the first 10 minutes of the film, or Enchantress loving air-humping things as weirdy voodo magicks.

I'd also like to know which writer decided El Diablo would become a FEARSOME AZTEC WARRIOR ESSE because all that was missing from that hilariously terrible s ene was him pulling up in a hellfire lowrider that left Raider Nation symbols in its wake.

I like to hope that Ayer did not decide to introduce his characters twice as in the theatrical cut.

Also Robbie Reyes proves there's nothing wrong with demonic lowriders. :colbert:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

come on dude, that's obviously not what i loving meant

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
No, his Joker wasn't very good either, actually. That character's tone and presentation is all over the place for the entire film. And I know, someone is inevitably going to say "That's the Joker" but it's not.

Robbie as Harley, Smith as Deadshot, and I thought Viola Davis brought it even though the role was written terribly. Those are the highlights of Suicide Squad. Maybe he was different in Birds of Prey, I didn't get around to seeing that one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jai Courtney was a delight as Captain Boomerang.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

No, his Joker wasn't very good either, actually. That character's tone and presentation is all over the place for the entire film. And I know, someone is inevitably going to say "That's the Joker" but it's not.

Robbie as Harley, Smith as Deadshot, and I thought Viola Davis brought it even though the role was written terribly. Those are the highlights of Suicide Squad. Maybe he was different in Birds of Prey, I didn't get around to seeing that one.

He's not in Birds of Prey.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Joker???? Acting bad and gross????

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
An extended suicide squad cut but it's just this for 4 hours https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNoebM89HiY

god suicide squad SUUUUUCKED!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jared Leto saw those old comics about Joker's boners and didn't understand the context.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Jai Courtney was a delight as Captain Boomerang.

Maybe we would get payoff for Digger's unicorn in the Ayer Cut.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Problem was he wasn't funny, nor was he frightening, nor interesting in any way. He was both boring and annoying. Leto's Joker, for whatever reason comes off like one of those guys at a party when you were a teenager who smoked a joint and starts acting performatively high. It was bad.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 29, 2020

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Maybe we would get payoff for Digger's unicorn in the Ayer Cut.

This is Captain Boomerang's unicorn. It's got his back. I would advise not getting killed by it. It's horn traps the souls of its victims.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I don't really think there's anything salvageable about Suicide Squad. There's nothing interesting beneath the character intros or the classic rock songs. It's not like Blade Runner where you already had really good movie and just had to cut a couple of stuff to make a great movie.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

There's lot of different ways you can play the Joker. Personally, I like the "Flamboyant, slightly demented bank robber" version from Batman 66/BTAS, versus the "Spirit of Anarchy Ubermensch" that's been popular lately. But up until Leto, I've never seen the Joker as "Guy who got kicked out of a Vampire LARP for being sexually aggressive".

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Karloff posted:

Problem was he wasn't funny, nor was he frightening, nor interesting in any way. He was both boring and annoying. Leto's Joker, for whatever reason comes off like one of those guys at a party when you were a teenager who has smoked a joint and starts acting performatively high. It was bad.

He was the personification of the clearance rack at Hot Topic.

ndor
Jan 17, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Karloff posted:

Problem was he wasn't funny, nor was he frightening, nor interesting in any way.

...That sounds like the Joker though...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

There's lot of different ways you can play the Joker. Personally, I like the "Flamboyant, slightly demented bank robber" version from Batman 66/BTAS, versus the "Spirit of Anarchy Ubermensch" that's been popular lately. But up until Leto, I've never seen the Joker as "Guy who got kicked out of a Vampire LARP for being sexually aggressive".

Yeah. Leto capers over the point of no return from 'edgy' to 'puerile.'

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

It wasn’t as bad as “my abuela listens to Morrissey and my van’s horn plays la cucaracha” but it was close.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ndor posted:

...That sounds like the Joker though...

It probably also sounds like your grandmother but that doesn't mean she's the Joker.

ndor
Jan 17, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Aphrodite posted:

It probably also sounds like your grandmother but that doesn't mean she's the Joker.

Yeah, and Joker never dies :smith:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Consider: Suicide Squad but with Joaquin Phoenix as Joker.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I think the only way that I'd ever be interested in the Joker being in a movie again would be if they did a Batman Beyond type moviewith Mark Hamill as an Old Man Joker. I'm so sick of that goddamn character.

ndor
Jan 17, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think the only way that I'd ever be interested in the Joker being in a movie again would be if they did a Batman Beyond type moviewith Mark Hamill as an Old Man Joker. I'm so sick of that goddamn character.

That movie literally exists already.

e: oh sorry, was that the joke

ndor fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

(I could vent forever about the changes made to the 2010 Clash of the Titans remake),

Could you? About the time the turned the middle eastern caricature who spoke a language no one could understand into a literal suicide bomber, I was ready to walk out. The only reason I didn't was because I was there with my dad and siblings. I loved the original and that remake pissed me off more than any other movie I can remember.