Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«477 »
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bright sucked, but I definitely think I would have forgotten I watched it entirely if it wasn't constantly being talked about by fans of "world building" fantasy stuff. It just ain't worth that much thought. It sucked, was either racist or just had an incompetent understanding of racism, and I don't really remember what happened. Will Smith and an Orc helped an elf get a wand or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I haven't seen it mentioned since it came out until now, because the director was a guy people were already talking about.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well "constantly" is probably overkill. But it definitely seems to pop up in conversation every now and then amongst fans of fantasy and sci-fi and I just don't feel its worth the energy. But I guess some people went in with expectations just based on the idea of the world building or something.

I'm not saying they're wrong. I guess I'm just being an rear end and saying I don't care about Bright. My bad.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

Shepard.

College Slice

My problem with Bright was that the concept is supposed to be fantastic elements making mundane events seem more interesting, not mundane events making fantastic elements seem boring.

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

I thought it was ok, but I also watched it on my second monitor while doing paper work, ie the best way to watch mediocre movies.
Got me through all the marvel Netflix stuff too

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bright was a huge mess and a big part of that was the world building. It made absolutely no sense even at a casual glance and that in turn devalued any sort of message it was going for because it was so muddled. And the actual message it was going for seemed entirely incoherent at best and genuinely racist at worst.

But trying to do a story about racism without realizing racism is a major part of society is like... completely inept screenwriting. Will Smith references Shrek! Shrek exists in this world of literal fantasy beings! Is it actual some super offensive racist cartoon in that world and Will Smith calling someone "Shrek-rear end looking" like significantly more racist than it would be in our world? Who knows! They couldn't be bothered to even consider pop culture despite the major impact pop culture plays on these things.

Dan Didio
Apr 6, 2009

OMG!! WeareSOawesome!!

Ayers showed a real knack for world-building in Fury.

ndor
Jan 16, 2020

SlimGoodbody posted:

No, it really was bafflingly tone deaf, awful, and poorly executed.

That's the default state of a Netflix Original to be honest.

But somehow everybody here has seen Bright and is obsessed with it.

Like STAC Goat says, maybe just not waste so much energy on Netflix Originals? It's only gonna encourage them to make more.

Don't be the guy who's mad that the movie doesn't properly use Shrek (2001) for nuanced world-building

ndor fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 2, 2020

Dan Didio
Apr 6, 2009

OMG!! WeareSOawesome!!

There's been some good Netflix Originals.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dawgstar posted:

You know I'd never thought I'd see one of the main setting problems with Shadowrun in a movie.

Bright is a completely shameless Shadowrun ripoff that removes Shadowrun's rather clever worldbuilding and replaces it with crap. Every idea Max Landis has ever had is a transparent ripoff of something better.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Yeah my biggest complaint with Bright is that it lazily farted out something that I've wanted to see for ages and now if my hopes and dreams do come true and we get a Black Mirror esq exploration of the Shadowrun world people are gonna dismiss it as a ripoff of that racist Netflix OrcCop movie.

At least I have Westworld....

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Bright is a completely shameless Shadowrun ripoff that removes Shadowrun's rather clever worldbuilding and replaces it with crap. Every idea Max Landis has ever had is a transparent ripoff of something better.

At least Chronicle was pretty good.

You should hear his Space Mountain movie pitch though. I'm pretty sure he got the idea from Event Horizon: the Space Mountain coaster is an experimental FTL ship that turns every people who go on it into monsters because the human soul cannot travel faster than light.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

PRESIDENT OF THE OFFICIAL BRENDAN FRASER FAN CLUB

Dan Didio posted:

There's been some good Netflix Originals.

Santa Clarita Diet for one (which was cancelled for no loving reason).

Dan Didio
Apr 6, 2009

OMG!! WeareSOawesome!!

Vintersorg posted:

Hell yeah, Timothy Olyphant loving kills it in that show.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

Shepard.

College Slice

In terms of mashing up a modern setting with fantastical elements, Dimension 20: Fantasy High does it a whole lot better than both Bright and Onward.

I just really love Fantasy High.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Vintersorg posted:

Losing that and The Tick so close together sucked.

Dan Didio
Apr 6, 2009

OMG!! WeareSOawesome!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg2M_s5wNPs

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Losing that and The Tick so close together sucked.

poo poo they canceled the tick?!

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Soonmot posted:

poo poo they canceled the tick?!

According to Griffin Newman, no show in the history of broadcasting has ever been as cancelled as The Tick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

There's been a few articles about but basically streaming services tend to cancel shows after 2 or 3 seasons because at that point they aren't bringing in new subscribers and that's literally all they care about.

«477 »