Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I love Rick & Morty. Rick & Morty has a weirdly toxic fanbase. They do not represent me, my love of the show, or my views on life. When someone on the internet says "Rick & Morty fans are depraved psychos" I do not chime in with a "I'm so sick of being called a psycho!" because I know exactly who they are referring to and I recognize that it's not me and yet also an accurate assessment.

I am a white man. White men are what's wrong with the world. Most white men do not represent me or my views on life. When my fiance exclaims "Men are trash!" I do not chime in with a "Not all men" because I know exactly who she is referring to and I recognize that it's not me and yet also an accurate assessment.

Zach Snyder is a big boy(I think) and doesn't need anyone in this thread to white knight for him. Please don't let tribalism loving ruin this thread, if I can sit through people making GBS threads on the movies I like then I know most of you can too.

I had a friend that was a die hard wrestling fan and every time anyone criticized wrestling for being fake or dumb he would always go on defense mode about why he liked it. And he always treated it like a personal attack on him and I never understood why. I like wrestling, I know it's dumb I know it's fake and has an insanely problematic history behind the scenes but I've never once felt the need to argue with someone who doesn't like it. I don't understand being defined by the media you consume and making it a part of your identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

McCloud posted:

I mean, this is a weird situation to be in. Technically, a version of the film is out, but it's radically different from what was planned and shot, so what do you showcase in such a trailer? I think saying "this is how this version will be different" was a good choice.

Edit:

I like the second shot better than the first. :shrug:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

The Batman looks interesting. I'm not blown away, but I'm going to go see it. Seeing The Riddler on screen looks like it'll be pretty fun.

Darkseid looks bad, but Snyderstuff is far far away from my taste. Won't be giving the movie a chance anyway.

Gotham Knights and Suicide Squad both made me feel so iffy. The Squad trailer is fun and dynamic, but I am so sick and tired of evil Superman. I could go the rest of my life without ever seeing broody glowing eye Superman again. I'm just so over it. The GK trailer on the other hand also looked pretty neat, but the gameplay gives me pause. Doesn't look like it'll be quite the polished experience I normally expect from an Arkham game.

I don't know that I care about Black Adam, but The Rock's voice over was pretty cool. I might have to see Shazam and then go see this one.

You should one hundred percent see Shazam. It has some problems, but it's a really fun, sweet movie and one of the best of the dceu. I honestly only see myself rewatching Shazam and BoP, maybe sections of wonder woman since I've soured on that movie after a couple viewings

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Davros1 posted:

Eh, the second shot is very flat, the first looks more interesting with deeper shadows and richer details. It also seems more potent, with the shallower depth of field highlighting the intimacy of the moment, but these are two separate shots communicating two different things and one seems more emotionally charged than the other.

But no amount of beautiful, well composed imagery can cover for poorly crafted dramatics and storytelling though, which would be the concern (see BvS) . But here's hoping.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 23, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Recutting it and adding a bunch of deleted scenes won’t change the fact that it’s asking me to take a villain called Steppenwulf seriously. I just can’t. Magic Carpet Ride killed that forever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Black crush is good cinematography.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Davros1 posted:

Yea, it has colour in it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Recutting it and adding a bunch of deleted scenes won’t change the fact that it’s asking me to take a villain called Steppenwulf seriously. I just can’t. Magic Carpet Ride killed that forever.

Jack Kirby didn't do names very well.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

Jack Kirby didn't do names very well.

I was going to say it wasn’t his fault a terrible band came along and ruined the name, but I just double checked and the comics character debuted at the end of their popularity. :psyduck:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Davros1 posted:

I kind of don’t like any Snyder shot with Amy Adams in it. His colour grading really doesn’t do her any favours, making her look wan and drawn all the time.

That said, the Whedon shot is obviously something he did in ten minutes in the company break room while executives were screaming at him.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I'm positive Kirby was thinking of the Herman Hesse novel, not the band.

Edit: I shouldn't say positive but it's my strong hunch.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

How Wonderful! posted:

I'm positive Kirby was thinking of the Herman Hesse novel, not the band.

Edit: I shouldn't say positive but it's my strong hunch.

He absolutely was, but the association for most people is going to be the band, and they’re pretty goofy. It kind of kills the menace.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The band had 2 or 3 massive hits just a couple of years earlier.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
not gonna lie that batman trailer is exactly what i expected it to be

only thing exciting me about it are the absolute online blood baths that will inevitably ensue with the prospect of a WoC Batgirl/Oracle being in the DCEU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I finally got around to seeing BOP last night and I can honestly say I should have watched it before the animated series. Movie was ok, but the humor was very hit or miss. It really did not feel like the actual BOP do anything at all until the last act, which was the best part of the movie. It does feature the single most incompetent version of the GCP ever which was actually pretty funny.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
im secretly holding out hope some dork does what needs to be done and makes an edit of that Black Adam trailer to ThatOneGodsmackSong. Out of all of the DCEU thats the one im most looking forward to, because its the Scorpion King sequel we need

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Karloff posted:

Eh, the second shot is very flat, the first looks more interesting with deeper shadows and richer details. It also seems more potent, with the shallower depth of field highlighting the intimacy of the moment, but these are two separate shots communicating two different things and one seems more emotionally charged than the other.

But no amount of beautiful, well composed imagery can cover for poorly crafted dramatics and storytelling though, which would be the concern (see BvS) . But here's hoping.

I like the second one because it's flat; it's conveying a sense of bleakness, that the world isn't rich and full, because the most important person from their lives is gone. I also like that they're not next to each, there's a space where someone should be sitting, but he isn't there anymore.

I also like how Martha's wearing muted reds, and Lois is wearing blue, like they're subconsciously trying to connect with someone who's gone in any way they can.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

site posted:

I was thinking maybe kraven hunts venom after whatever happens in venom 2

That's the stinger, actually. "When I get out of here there's gonna be...Kraven"

Yvonmukluk posted:

Actually I'd like to see a Spider-Girl movie (Mayday or Arana). Obviously Mayday wouldn't fit in the MCU, but if Sony wants to go their own way a bit...

can I buy a ticket for Spiderverse 3: Renew Your Vows yet

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz57DbGqut8

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I probably wouldn't mind the desaturated scene as long as the entire movie doesn't look like that like mos, bvs and the first cut of JL do. I'm just tired of that look, it's ugly

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

site posted:

I probably wouldn't mind the desaturated scene as long as the entire movie doesn't look like that like mos, bvs and the first cut of JL do. I'm just tired of that look, it's ugly

its just too smart and edgy and gritty for you. enjoy your marvel disney essjaydoubley00 crap for babbies:smug:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think comparing two random screenshots from different scenes as if you can determine if one is objectively better is an incredibly absurd endeavour?

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Comparing shots isn't really absurd, especially if we are talking about what is going to be 2 different versions of the same movie. The comparisons are inevitable. I don't think those two shots are really worth comparing though. A better comparison is something like this imo:

The Whedon version doesn't even look like it's from a movie, more like a picture someone took before they actually started filming the scene.

Or these two:

The Whedon cemetary doesn't even try to hide that they're shooting that in a studio.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Again, though, how do you really hide that you’ve been forced to create an entirely new movie in a fraction of the time with a fraction of the resources? The fact that Justice League was only as terrible as it was is probably a minor miracle.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Ghosthotel posted:

Comparing shots isn't really absurd, especially if we are talking about what is going to be 2 different versions of the same movie. The comparisons are inevitable. I don't think those two shots are really worth comparing though. A better comparison is something like this imo:

The Whedon cemetary doesn't even try to hide that they're shooting that in a studio.

that cemetary scene never really made sense to me, considering both characters abilities

NOTE: This Something Awful forums user (previously known as "The Blackest Goon") is a Person of Color who chose the current iteration of his username ironically after years of having his remaining brain cells all but fried after monitoring the rise of online reactionary ideologies for a decade.

if this sounds like a flimsy excuse, you are wrong

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 23, 2020

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Phylodox posted:

Again, though, how do you really hide that you’ve been forced to create an entirely new movie in a fraction of the time with a fraction of the resources? The fact that Justice League was only as terrible as it was is probably a minor miracle.

The thing about whedons reshoots is that it seems like theres stuff that snyder shot that would've worked perfectly fine with whatever changes he wanted to put in there, but they decided to reshoot the scenes to make them look worse. It's extremely bizarre. Like the awful red filter coloring everything during the final battle we know is a Whedon addition. Why? Whose decision was it to do that? Who thought it looked better???

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Ghosthotel posted:

The thing about whedons reshoots is that it seems like theres stuff that snyder shot that would've worked perfectly fine with whatever changes he wanted to put in there, but they decided to reshoot the scenes to make them look worse. It's extremely bizarre. Like the awful red filter coloring everything during the final battle we know is a Whedon addition. Why? Whose decision was it to do that? Who thought it looked better???

I can’t be sure, but I’d be willing to put money on it being some focus group “Red tested better!” executive mandate nonsense.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

For sure, I wouldn't be surprised if they essentially gave Whedon a list of things to put into the movie for whatever. I doubt it'll ever happen but it would be extremely interesting to get a detailed account of a lot of behind the scenes poo poo that went on especially with Ray Fisher managing to get WB to start a third party investigation into misconduct from Whedon and Geoff Johns.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The red skies was most likely because of its connection to the crisis and Whedon is a hack who thought that would make a great addition to the film.

It's the same kind of shallow reasoning why you have close ups of Diana yelling "Kal, nooo" during the fight scene, because she calls him Kal in the comics, so clearly she should do it here too!

Incidentally, the reason Zack went with Hallelujah was because of its personal significance to him and his daughter

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Snyder's shots look a lot better for the most part.

But the story is gonna be the same, except it'll have some expanded parts. Are the expanded parts gonna cover up how bad the story is?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

Snyder's shots look a lot better for the most part.

But the story is gonna be the same, except it'll have some expanded parts. Are the expanded parts gonna cover up how bad the story is?

By "the expanded" parts, do you mean the two whole hours? I do think it is entirely possible that the addition of twice the runtime can significantly alter the quality of the story being told, yes

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just don't buy that Warner Brothers would hire Whedon to finish a movie that already had an impending release date coming within the year and then let him just reshoot half the movie for no reason when there was already usable footage of the same scenes. Like, why would they budget that? It's pretty obvious they gave him extensive notes on what footage needed to be reshot.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Arist posted:

I just don't buy that Warner Brothers would hire Whedon to finish a movie that already had an impending release date coming within the year and then let him just reshoot half the movie for no reason when there was already usable footage of the same scenes.
And yet that's exactly what happened. What's so hard to believe?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think it goes a long way towards explaining why it might have been such a toxic set. A bunch of people doing something they really don’t want to be doing in ways they really don’t want to be doing it but have no choice about because of executives mandating every single thing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FilthyImp posted:

And yet that's exactly what happened. What's so hard to believe?

Hm, it seems you have accidentally excluded the second half of my post where I provide an alternate explanation.

Arist posted:

Like, why would they budget that? It's pretty obvious they gave him extensive notes on what footage needed to be reshot.

Here it is!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

There are things that are absolutely whedons own choices. The pratfall into WWs boobs and the thirsty joke are def. Him

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Arist posted:

Hm, it seems you have accidentally excluded the second half of my post where I provide an alternate explanation.
Right but your post was "why would they shelve a film they had shots of?! Why not just order reshoots and fix it!"

Which is like, yeah that happened. Sooooooo..... :confuoot:

If we're trying to absolve Whedon of the lovely nature of the film, there's only so much that can be thrown at the foot of the execs that had cold feet.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FilthyImp posted:

Right but your post was "why would they shelve a film they had shots of?! Why not just order reshoots and fix it!"

Which is like, yeah that happened. Sooooooo..... :confuoot:

No, my post is, "why would they let Whedon run up the budget reshooting half a film that was supposedly "done?" I'm saying the only sensible explanation for the reshoots being so extensive and replacing seemingly usable material is heavy, heavy micromanaging. I legitimately have no idea how you think I was saying "they should have done reshoots!"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Arist posted:

I'm saying the only sensible explanation for the reshoots being so extensive and replacing seemingly usable material is heavy, heavy micromanaging.
K that I get. It's the only explanation why shots like Bats on the Death Gargoyle turns into something in a before Lasik commercial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I don't know how anyone watched Justice League and didn't immediately come to the conclusion that it was probably an ok movie turned into a bad movie by the absolute wrong director at the behest of scrambling desperate and idiodic executives. I don't think it's crazy to think that the Snyder Cut might be better (I do) it's whether it will rise to the standard of "good" that I find unlikely.

It couldn't be more obvious to me that the executives realized far too late that Snyder's ideas are "bad" and tried to "fix" it with worse ideas based on a fundamental misunderstanding of what makes similar properties work. They then hired "the Avengers guy" to finish even though he's basically the opposite of Snyder in every way(other than that they both suck) and therefore a terrible fit.

Warner Bros was in such a panic after Suicide Squad and Batman v. Superman only did good and not phenomenally which is insane to me.