Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Well I guess we know how Fury lost his eye now.

I like how her origin fits so nicely into the MCU, particularly, Agents of SHIELD. Lots of these things were seen there with Coulson's resurrection, Daisy, the Inhumans, and the Kree, and this is kind of showing how all of that started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm still not totally sold on Larson as Carol. The backstory they're establishing for this character seems really involved and interesting, but she's not giving much more than bare surface presentation, here.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Seems like the Long Kiss Goodnight but without any of the character or charm.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

BrianWilly posted:

I'm still not totally sold on Larson as Carol. The backstory they're establishing for this character seems really involved and interesting, but she's not giving much more than bare surface presentation, here.

Either she’s giving a pretty flat and lifeless performance or they’re choosing the wrong scenes here.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

That cat is definitely a Skrull.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Man I am sure there will be plenty of good, non-insanely-cliched things inside this movie and yet that's just about the only thing they're putting inside these trailers. There's still nothing for me beyond mohawk suit and old lady fight and I'm gonna need a lot more than that to put myself through an amnesia plotline.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Seems like the Long Kiss Goodnight but without any of the character or charm.

So Long Kiss Goodnight.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Aphrodite posted:

So Long Kiss Goodnight.

Hey! I know you're some kind of professional poo poo talker or whatever but you watch your tongue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That flick is flawless.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Rhyno posted:

Excellent trailer and Carol is probably a sleeper Skrull.

Having watched the trailer a couple times now, this does seem to be getting hinted at. A lot of the lines could be taken another way. It would make for a logical 'next phase' for the MCU after Infinity whatever wraps up.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Rhyno posted:

Still of the opinion that there is zero chance Marvel lets their first female hero piloted series start out with the woman being a supersecret evil villain that no one should trust.

It's just bad optics, man.

But we definitely headed there for the next big crosser event poo poo post-Infinity stuff.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Captain Marvel looks great. Carol flying through space blowing poo poo up is a great way to show how powerful she is.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
The best part of that movie for me will be automatically assuming that literally everyone onscreen is a Skrull. Like the comic books, but there it's everyone is potentially a Skrull/Mystique.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

mikeraskol posted:

Trailer 2. Serious Binary-looking action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LHxvxdRnYc
Carol's wingman at the approx. 1:00 mark is Maria "Photon" Rambeau. Nice future-seeding there, especially if that's the only way it comes up in this movie.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
I rarely have a bad word to say about that MCU, and I really want to like this. But that was one of the most boring, cliched trailers I've seen in a while.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

That flick is flawless.

The most disappointing thing about The Long Kiss Goodnight is that Shane Black's screenplay ended with the line "CHARLEY BALTIMORE WILL RETURN..."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it dont remind me. I fuckin love Gina Davis.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Yeah, I don't know why they cut the trailer like this, it feels very weird in general. Also extremely super generic.

Disney apparently made the amazing Black Panther trailer in-house but this ... ain't it.

They also do a terrible job of setting up the villains, but hopefully the movie itself is good.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Rhyno posted:

God drat it dont remind me. I fuckin love Gina Davis.

If you love her so much, why don't you marry her?
Or spell her name correctly?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

I am so sorry.

But for real, when I suggested that to my Den of Geek editor back when the first trailer hit, he told me that there was no way they would do that for Marvel's first female-led film. It would cause a worse reaction than the Mandarin thing. Then the new trailer hits and he's all, "drat it, I think you're right."

Soul Glo posted:

Still of the opinion that there is zero chance Marvel lets their first female hero piloted series start out with the woman being a supersecret evil villain that no one should trust.

It's just bad optics, man.

But we definitely headed there for the next big crosser event poo poo post-Infinity stuff.

But she wouldn't be evil. "Mar-Vell" wasn't evil when the comics did it. He even died begging Noh-Varr to fight the Skrulls because they're the worst for what they did to him. It would actually give Carol more resolve for her, "I'm not fighting your war. I'm ending it," line because at this point it's not about sides anymore.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Just to go with what Gavok said, we don't know if the Skrulls are super evil, any more than we know that the Kree are super good.

The trailer has a character who seems indoctrinated to say that all Kree are super noble, freedom loving warriors. Who love freedom.
And that the Skrulls are all rat bastard.

There's lots of ways they could go with this.

As for the Shang Chi news, I hope they go full Hickman on it. Give him a Tony Stark built pair of super nunchucks, have him learn to make a bunch of clones and in the final fight take on Fing Fang Foom.

And get Philip Ng from Birth of the Dragon to play him. He was great in that.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The Question IRL posted:

Just to go with what Gavok said, we don't know if the Skrulls are super evil, any more than we know that the Kree are super good.

The trailer has a character who seems indoctrinated to say that all Kree are super noble, freedom loving warriors. Who love freedom.
And that the Skrulls are all rat bastard.

There's lots of ways they could go with this.

A friend on Twitter asked if all the Kree being heroes was legit or something they tell themselves. I pointed out that Ronan is Kree. That was all that needed to be said.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I haven’t watched it but I was also hearing that the Kree were meddling with humanity on Agents of SHIELD

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I haven’t watched it but I was also hearing that the Kree were meddling with humanity on Agents of SHIELD

They are.

I could certainly buy "Carol is unwittingly half-Kree" or "Carol was genetically modified by the Kree."

Personally, I'm just hoping they keep a big part of Yon-Rogg's motivation to kill Marvel being romantic rivalry over a woman. :getin:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm not really into ten year long film series then "But guess what, this new character is actually the most strongest and coolest there ever was" feels like Poochie to me.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Did you complain about this with Dr Strange

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah, the majority of Kree that have shown up have been major assholes.

Cythereal posted:

I could certainly buy "Carol is unwittingly half-Kree" or "Carol was genetically modified by the Kree."

I don't know how it is in the comics, but Agents of SHIELD has things like this being an old Kree pastime.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I rarely have a bad word to say about that MCU, and I really want to like this. But that was one of the most boring, cliched trailers I've seen in a while.

The trailer made it look like a super boring version of Green Lantern trailer. :effort:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1069953092400136193

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The official title is
Avengers: Good Morning America?

I don't think that will play well overseas

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's actually Good Morning, Captain America.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jamesman posted:

I don't know how it is in the comics, but Agents of SHIELD has things like this being an old Kree pastime.

Yeah, that's my personal guess for what's going on. Carol is the product of a long-running Kree experiment, born and raised on Earth, then taken by the Kree for the Starforce program. Now she's been manipulated into going back to Earth to turn the planet into a pawn in the Kree-Skrull war, and she ultimately rediscovers her humanity even if she's not completely human herself and tells both empires intent on Earth to gently caress off.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I'm not really into ten year long film series then "But guess what, this new character is actually the most strongest and coolest there ever was" feels like Poochie to me.

It imagines a world in which Poochie didn't die on the way back to his homeplanent.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Marvel Comics did that with The Sentry and it was a mixed bag at best

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Despite it being basically confirmed that we're also getting Avengers and Spider-Man trailers this week the one I'm most interested in is the Crystal Dynamics game they're supposed to be revealing properly at the Game Awards.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Despite it being basically confirmed that we're also getting Avengers and Spider-Man trailers this week the one I'm most interested in is the Crystal Dynamics game they're supposed to be revealing properly at the Game Awards.

Is that the Avengers game they announced years ago?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Is that the Avengers game they announced years ago?

Yeah, the one with the girl narrating about how the Avengers have been gone and some such.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cythereal posted:

They are.

Personally, I'm just hoping they keep a big part of Yon-Rogg's motivation to kill Marvel being romantic rivalry over a woman. :getin:

I mean, there's a shot of her with green blood in the trailer.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

rantmo posted:

This is going to be a good movie.

I'm really hoping that the amnesia/origin part isn't too large a part of the movie, b/c her minimum I'd accept of her being on fire and poo poo would be for an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

I just want Avengers: Ultimate Alliance 3