Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Some of you guys are so loving weird about Zach snyder it's seriously bordering on fanatical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

even if somehow, HBO MAX is such a runaway success that it manages to make $30M in the first year or two

wow what a world that would be

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Phylodox posted:

EDIT: And, of course, teaming up with David Goyer certainly doesn't help him.

If you think Goyer has a bad perception right now, consider that Chris Terrio went from writing Argo to co-writing Batman Vs Superman, then Justice League, then Rise of Skywalker.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
HBO MAX liquidised after Zack Snyder has two lunches.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sgt. Politeness posted:

He's an objectivist who does crossfit and has a pretty cynical view of what makes someone a hero. Maybe it's a leap to call him a "human garbage dump" but what are the odds he's not?

Like if someone was all "You should meet my friend Gary, you'd like him" and then Gary showed up with a proudboy tattoo, I probably wouldn't give Gary the benefit of the doubt regardless of how many people on the internet claim he's a nice guy.

So he's garbage because you've ascribed a political philosophy to him with no evidence, he does exercise, and "Superman didn't save anybody". That makes him basically Richard Spencer. Got ya.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Snyder: works out, loves his wife, healthy working relationship with coworkers

Whedon: probably has never gone to a gym, cheated on his wife, slept with his coworkers

I rest my case

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I appreciate Man of Steel more and more as time goes on. That ending is like Max Fleischer cartoon meets Goku's Spirit Bomb, it was great. Maybe could have done without him kissing Lois on the site of mass death and devastation, though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dawgstar posted:

I'd almost want to see Ayers' original cut given the Frankenstein the studio actually shoved out, but with my luck Ayers would also think that Flag explaining Katana could kill everyone just like mowing the lawn was the equivalent of Denzel's 'King Kong ain't got nothing on me' from Training Day.

Oh absolutely. I want to see the original Ayer Suicide Squad. Certainly can't have been worse than the theatrical version.

Rhyno posted:

I highly doubt there will be any physical reshoots. $30M is barely enough to the cast to show up for a catered lunch. I wouldn't surprised at all if they resort to animated segments to bridge scenes together.

Ya basically. I assume that nearly all of that 30m is to do the CGI and pay for some voiceover work that might be needed.

Release the Snyder workprint cut! :v:

CzarChasm posted:

Here's what I want to know, where is that $30M going exactly? And where is it coming from?
:words:

You sure seem to care a lot about how this corporation is spending it's own money.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I will watch this because I want to see the alternate cuts of Batfleck before he quit working out. It's pretty obvious in the reshoots/released version that he'd chubbed out.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Wasn't his version suppose to be two movies? So even if this version is released 100% how he wanted it, it is going to need another movie to make it complete. Is the hope that this cut somehow makes WB give him the money to make part 2? Or is he going to cobble his vision to now be a self contained movie somehow?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Originally but the reduction to 1 was quite a while ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There was definitely supposed to be a sequel.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I better tell all my crossfit friends (all liberals) about their new prescribed world views.

Everyone talking reshoots: can you even schedule reshoots right now with C19? I feel like the $30M has to be exclusively going to post production stuff.

Assuming there's an undocumented marketing budget as well right?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Martman posted:

2020, the Snydercut Funding is passed.

2021, the Snydercut goes live at 12:00am.

by 12:01am, millions of nerds have all posted "Welp it's still bad lol sorry Snyderbros"

Yes, it's everyone else who's a nerd and unreasonable and obsessed with Snyder.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

There are no reshoots with actors going on, there is no way SAG-AFTRA would allow any work right now.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Phylodox posted:

It's this, really. Snyder is a fantastic cinematographer, but he keeps trying to make these heady, meaningful films that just kind of plop down on their faces because the ideas behind them aren't really all that revolutionary or interesting. When he's interpreting someone else's story, he'd golden.

EDIT: And, of course, teaming up with David Goyer certainly doesn't help him.

david goyer and akiva goldsman are curses. neither of them should be allowed to work again

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Next up: Fant4stic Four director's cut and then Suicide Squad director's cut.

shut up dude, please
https://twitter.com/loganpg/status/1263184119510339584

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

oh gently caress lmao

Why the hell not? Let's go!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This is all Sega's fault.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Ghosthotel posted:

The objectivist claim is extremely tired especially since the only proof that he is one is wanting to adapt the fountainhead. Wanting to adapt a source material does not automatically mean ya endorse the source material!!!

Nah it's what people perceive as an undercurrent in his movies, 300, Man of Steel and Watchmen in particular.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Why does everyone keep thinking Snyder's beliefs are the opposite of what he keeps saying and putting in his work. The guy is not a secret triple-satirical mystery genius. He is very literal.

Like he puts the most obvious possible theming in his movies and people keep pretending he must be deconstructing or satirizing what he's saying because they can't accept what he's spelling out in the most unsubtle way possible. It's mind boggling.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Fangz posted:

Nah it's what people perceive as an undercurrent in his movies, 300, Man of Steel and Watchmen in particular.

yeah? care to elaborate on the objectivist undercurrents of those movies or are we supposed to draw our own conclusions? 300 is obviously fascist, but that can be chalked up to the source material. man of steel has a lot to say about the limits of individual power, but doesnt really come to any conclusions. watchmen is famously anti-war. but all three movies hold no truths to be self-evident, and emphasize the mercurial nature of morality, which is the exact opposite of objectivism

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

If MoS had any objectivist leanings when Zod was like “we’re going to rebuild krypton on the corpses of billions and return it to its former glory” Superman would’ve been like “hell yeah sounds dope”.

Everyone that accuses that movie of being objectivist seems to suddenly forget that words mean things and come up with their own definition of what objectivism entails. Why would superman feel obligated to help save the planet at all if the movie was going for a pro objectivist message??

Ghosthotel fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 21, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghosthotel posted:

If MoS had any objectivist leanings when Zod was like “we’re going to rebuild krypton on the corpses of billions and return it to its former glory” Superman would’ve been like “hell yeah sounds dope”

If Kal-El had seen Trump's America he'd have been all for it.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Unless you’re being sarcastic you’re really gonna have to elaborate on that one cus woof lmao

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

yeah? care to elaborate on the objectivist undercurrents of those movies or are we supposed to draw our own conclusions? 300 is obviously fascist, but that can be chalked up to the source material. man of steel has a lot to say about the limits of individual power, but doesnt really come to any conclusions. watchmen is famously anti-war. but all three movies hold no truths to be self-evident, and emphasize the mercurial nature of morality, which is the exact opposite of objectivism

You are supposed to draw your own conclusions.

As an analogy, if Zach Snyder was a chef, then lots of people had his soup three times and thought each time it was too salty. It doesn't really matter whether this ~proves~ Snyder is a salt afficionado or not, or whether some other person tastes the same soup and thought it was delicious and not salty at all. Allow people to have their own read of movies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghosthotel posted:

Unless you’re being sarcastic you’re really gonna have to elaborate on that one cus woof lmao

I welcome the crushing boot of our Kryptonian overlords.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Fangz posted:

As an analogy, if Zach Snyder was a chef, then lots of people had his soup three times and thought each time it was too salty. It doesn't really matter whether this ~proves~ Snyder is a salt afficionado or not, or whether some other person tastes the same soup and thought it was delicious and not salty at all. Allow people to have their own read of movies.

It’s fine to have your own read of movies but you should be able to back up something like “there is an objectivist undercurrent in Man of Steel” without completely dodging their question like you just did.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ghosthotel posted:

It’s fine to have your own read of movies but you should be able to back up something like “there is an objectivist undercurrent in Man of Steel” without completely dodging their question like you just did.

You can google.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Ok so you have no interest in actually having a discussion about this cool lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Fangz posted:

if two people order soup, and one says it was too salty, and the other says it wasnt salty at all, then their soups had different amounts of salt in them. food is made with ingredients that are measured, not ephemeral concepts and subjective judgements. your metaphor is nonsense

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ghosthotel posted:

Ok so you have no interest in actually having a discussion about this cool lol

holy poo poo I got through to you

scary ghost dog posted:

if two people order soup, and one says it was too salty, and the other says it wasnt salty at all, then their soups had different amounts of salt in them. food is made with ingredients that are measured, not ephemeral concepts and subjective judgements. your metaphor is nonsense

:psyduck:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
alright my conclusion is that youre a moron who read a long post on this very board eight years ago spuriously accusing zack snyder of having objectivist leanings, and youve internalized that interpretation and lash out when youre forced to confront the reality that there is no such subtext in his movies

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's actually forbidden to have that discussion in this thread.

Also the sense of taste doesn't work that way and no, chefs don't measure the salt they're adding to things. They eyeball that poo poo.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Kinda weird that supposed objectivist Snyder keeps making objectivists the insane lunatic baddies in his movies.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Oh absolutely. I want to see the original Ayer Suicide Squad. Certainly can't have been worse than the theatrical version.

I was going to say the only way that you could make the theatrical version worse would be having Thing from the Addams Family pop out of your media player and punch you in the balls, but at least that would take your mind off the fact you’re watching Suicide Squad.
I’d actually rather see the directors cut of that then the Snyder cut. It was bad, awful even, but it had moments where it was at least almost interesting even if it didn’t work. Justice League was worse than bad, it was boring.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I wonder how far old Zack's gonna push Batman this time. I reckon Bat's gonna kill a Siberian Tiger and then mount it it to the front of his batmobile. Then we can read posts about how "Batman's always wiped out endangered species though, wake the gently caress up".

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

scary ghost dog posted:

the taste bud understander has logged on

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Arist posted:

the taste bud understander has logged on

look i didnt choose the analogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Everyone perceives saltiness exactly the same, that is why restaurants don't provide it on tables.

I perceive a lot of it in this thread, for example