Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Marvel should make Gambit their tent pole for phase 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I too can't wait for this super gay young avengers film coming to theaters near you in 2050 when Disney finally thinks it's okay to have gay people in movies

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The CW shows are gay as hell. Like, gayer tha hell. Even Satan couldn't be that gay if he fuckin tried.

And the shows are better for it. Marvel might decide they want some of that hot hot tumblr action.

Wanna elaborate?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shageletic posted:

Wanna elaborate?

There's numerous open characters in the CWverse and it has enraged the chuds.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Rhyno posted:

The CW shows are gay as hell. Like, gayer tha hell. Even Satan couldn't be that gay if he fuckin tried.

And the shows are better for it. Marvel might decide they want some of that hot hot tumblr action.

Shageletic posted:

Wanna elaborate?

If you want specifics, the original Black Canary and Mr Terrific from Arrow, Flash's Daughter and the police chief (captain?) Singh from Flash, Thunder from Black Lightning, Supergirl's human sister Alex, Earth X's Captain Cold...And I'm probably forgetting a few. They are openly gay, and it's kind of nice that it's never really drawn attention to explicitly - with the exception of Alex coming out being the focus of an episode or two. It's usually just "my boyfriend and I are..." or "My wife said..."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

If you want specifics, the original Black Canary and Mr Terrific from Arrow, Flash's Daughter and the police chief (captain?) Singh from Flash, Thunder from Black Lightning, Supergirl's human sister Alex, Earth X's Captain Cold...And I'm probably forgetting a few. They are openly gay, and it's kind of nice that it's never really drawn attention to explicitly - with the exception of Alex coming out being the focus of an episode or two. It's usually just "my boyfriend and I are..." or "My wife said..."

Batwoman, obviously. And Supergirl has a trans character now too, right?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So ive seen a few tweets like this but nothing with a screenshot or link to an interview where this was said??

https://twitter.com/Great_Katzby/status/1092906720106606597?s=19

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

White Canary is bi and in a committed lesbian relationship, and John Constantine is also bi and was shown with a man he clearly loved.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

Oh that's cool, but being explicit about it is cool too

I feel like this is another sneaky attempt to make me watch CW superhero shows again

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

So ive seen a few tweets like this but nothing with a screenshot or link to an interview where this was said??

Probably said it on the Disney Earnings call today.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

Disney's Q1 FY19 Earnings call was this afternoon so probably there?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah found this short variety article

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1092914649727680513?s=19

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I don't imagine Ryan Reynold's contract carries over to Disney after the buyout, so I wonder if they will try to afford him or just replace him.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Weren't the dp movies relatively cheap compared to the average mcu film?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

site posted:

Weren't the dp movies relatively cheap compared to the average mcu film?

The first one was at least. But now you gotta renegotiate and who knows what someone would want to be locked back in.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jamesman posted:

I don't imagine Ryan Reynold's contract carries over to Disney after the buyout, so I wonder if they will try to afford him or just replace him.

I would think they know that he’s a huge part of why those movies succeeded. I can’t imagine the company that swung for getting RDJ in Cap 3 and Spider Man would cheap out on getting Reynolds back.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I mean on the one hand disney might see the value in giving the guy who made dp happen in the first place a raise but on the other it's Disney and what is Reynolds gonna do if they don't, walk away and go back to doing romcoms?

I'm gonna guess him staying is gonna be more dependent on how much creative control he gets to keep rather than his salary

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Vince MechMahon posted:

And Supergirl has a trans character now too, right?

Yeah but given the awkward not-a-date with Brainy I think she's straight.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Oh that's cool, but being explicit about it is cool too

I feel like this is another sneaky attempt to make me watch CW superhero shows again

You should at least watch Black Lighting because it is the best CW show and also has open and unapologetic lesbians of color.

Also interracial relationships where neither party is white, which I appreciate tbh

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Koalas March posted:

You should at least watch Black Lighting because it is the best CW show and also has open and unapologetic lesbians of color.

And week in week out one of the best soundtracks on television.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jamesman posted:

Good point. Disney really needs to watch their bottom line.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

howe_sam posted:

And week in week out one of the best soundtracks on television.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jamesman posted:

These things are complicated, but I would *shocked* if they didn't write his contract such that it transfers with the company.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Koalas March posted:

Also interracial relationships where neither party is white, which I appreciate tbh

oh yeah that's the exception that looks tight but there's so much good tv right now. But i'll get around to it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

site posted:

Oh hey the exact thing I’ve been saying for months despite everyone insisting Disney was a wholesome family company and wouldn’t stand for butts and swears in a movie

*Shocker*, Disney likes money and was never going to shoot themselves in the foot by cancelling a popular and lucrative film series.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Deadpool is also incredibly non-challenging. It has swears and violence but it's very adolescent swears and violence, and isn't presenting any radical ideas or anything that might upset anyone or hurt their bottom line.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oh hey the exact thing I’ve been saying for months despite everyone insisting Disney was a wholesome family company and wouldn’t stand for butts and swears in a movie

*Shocker*, Disney likes money and was never going to shoot themselves in the foot by cancelling a popular and lucrative film series.

I will cop to having doubts and being wrong here

https://twitter.com/ColliderVideo/status/1092941309038317568?s=19

Make sure to pee before going in the theater

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

site posted:

Make sure to pee before going in the theater

Just ask for an empty drink cup. Most will give it to you without any fuss.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:stare:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

site posted:

I mean on the one hand disney might see the value in giving the guy who made dp happen in the first place a raise but on the other it's Disney and what is Reynolds gonna do if they don't, walk away and go back to doing romcoms?

I'm gonna guess him staying is gonna be more dependent on how much creative control he gets to keep rather than his salary

Doesn't RR get a percentage of the gross right now for DP? That might be more important than the salary.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Honestly I'm hoping they let him produce all their X-men movies, it's clear he loves the material and wants to see them done right.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

For the record I'm not saying that you can't have lgbtqia+ characters in media and make money, but Disney aims for billions of dollars return investment on their tentpole films, and this leads to them being as politically safe as possible because of fear of losing even 1% of return on investment from people put off by even the slightest political stance. Lots of the countries they market to are much more opposed to same sex couples or transgender people than even the US is, and these prejudices become magnified if you involve young people. I would love to be proven wrong but I just can't imagine the soulless mummies that run one of the world's biggest corporate monsters taking what they perceive as a financial risk just because it's morally right and would make for a good movie. They might have a gay or bi character in a Marvel movie off to the side, not as part of the central cast. But I really don't think they'll make one starring a teenage gay couple and their diverse friends. That's something they'd put in a like, 30 million dollar budget movie under a different label than the main Marvel universe.

I mean just look how loving long it took them to make a movie starring a woman.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

For the record I'm not saying that you can't have lgbtqia+ characters in media and make money, but Disney aims for billions of dollars return investment on their tentpole films, and this leads to them being as politically safe as possible because of fear of losing even 1% of return on investment from people put off by even the slightest political stance. Lots of the countries they market to are much more opposed to same sex couples or transgender people than even the US is, and these prejudices become magnified if you involve young people. I would love to be proven wrong but I just can't imagine the soulless mummies that run one of the world's biggest corporate monsters taking what they perceive as a financial risk just because it's morally right and would make for a good movie. They might have a gay or bi character in a Marvel movie off to the side, not as part of the central cast. But I really don't think they'll make one starring a teenage gay couple and their diverse friends. That's something they'd put in a like, 30 million dollar budget movie under a different label than the main Marvel universe.

I mean just look how loving long it took them to make a movie starring a woman.

I thought it was more to do with they can’t show that stuff in China. China is a huge movie market now. So they don’t want to make a movie who’s major characters have to be altered or cut for a Chinese showing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

badjohny posted:

I thought it was more to do with they can’t show that stuff in China. China is a huge movie market now. So they don’t want to make a movie who’s major characters have to be altered or cut for a Chinese showing.

That's certainly part of what I was talking about, yes, and maybe even the biggest part.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
They put a gay dude in beauty and the beast when they didn't have to, so we'll see.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

David D. Davidson posted:

Honestly I'm hoping they let him produce all their X-men movies, it's clear he loves the material and wants to see them done right.

I hope they let him do an X-Force movie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sgt. Politeness posted:

They put a gay dude in beauty and the beast when they didn't have to, so we'll see.
It was a minor role though

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was a minor role though

And the evidence of him being gay is holding hands with a dude in a crowded scene for half a second.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Did they though? I mean he's in the movie for like 20 minutes at most, and the only "gay" thing that he does is dance with a dude in the background for like 2 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Well drat I didn't see the movie, I just saw everybody freaking out about it online.

I guess I made an rear end out of you and me when I assumed there was a good reason for all of the press around it. Like seriously I don't know if the movie was a musical or even had talking dishware but I know there was supposedly a gay dude in it.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 6, 2019