Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

First joke of the trailer was cringy. Im still very used to ron pearlman's hellboy so this is gonna take a while to win me (not impossible, lot of the stuff in the trailer got me excited).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

Venom is fun and good. Super loving dumb, yes. But fun and good.

Yeah, I'm gonna stan for Venom because that thing was BAD but yet I had a fuckton of fun. It's a weird feeling, but there it is.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I'm probably gonna see Spider-verse this weekend, the sad part is that is completely dubbed so I'm gonna miss Nick Cage's beauty. :smith: Hopefully they use the same guy who always dubs him in Spanish.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Funniest part is all people posting actual more iconic trios. (Donald duck's nephews were the first thing that came to my mind. Hugo,paco and luis in spanish because i forgot their original names
)

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

Huey, Dewey, and Louie.

Thank you. Their spanish names are so stucked in my brain that i cant remember the original ones :psyduck:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Larry, Moe and Curly.

Edit:

Harry Ron and Hermione too at least to a certain generation.

The Power Puff Girls is good one if they wanna go "--but they have to be superheroes!!!"

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe it was explicitly to avoid harming Mary Poppins. Venom was able to make a huge pile by releasing in October when there wasn't really anything for it to compete with. That's probably where and when Disney should have aimed to put Solo.

I mean, what else did they have out then? That Nutcracker movie?

It also had a lot of word to mouth recommendations among the online LBGTQ+ community, the fun part is that the people managing the online marketing realized that and went with it. Just as a note, everyone who liked it is aware is a bad movie...yet we all had fun. I'm hopeful they keep the buddy cop parts of the movie which were the best ones.

As a side note, it's hilarious that in my country it lasted longer in cinemas than the Freddy Mercury movie and Fantastic beasts. I guess it had a constant stream of viewers.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

asecondduck posted:

ITT: a hunch of goons who don't realize that their Boomer parents watched and enjoyed all the raunchy and violent films the 90's had to offer and are still into that poo poo.

My mother-in-law thought Hot Tub Time Machine was great.

On the flip side, my father-in-law, who's a rough-looking, motorcycle-repairing, moonlights-as-a-bar bouncer son-of-a-bitch loves watching the Harry Potter films whenever they're on Freeform (they're always on Freeform).

[Edit: oh yeah, don't underestimate Ryan Reynolds as part of the reason older women like Deadpool. Pretty much every yard sale I went to last year that was run by a 60-year-old woman had a stack of, like, every movie Reynolds has ever been in (I assume they were selling the DVDs because they'd upgraded to Blu-Rays).]

My mom LOVED Rambo. Also, she is still a huge fan of war movies. And my dad was in to horror and sci-fi. They still enjoy that, it would be stupid thinking they dont anymore.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Samovar posted:

Make Dr. Doom properly Roma. Piss off all the nat-nutters in Europe.

I wish I had a billionaire bag of money under my couch so I could make that happen.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Jamesman posted:

This is very good. They need to do more 90's style marketing for this movie.

It made me wish I still remembered what my geocities and fortunecity page's url. They were so awful.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Guys, you know what? I'm glad you all at least say why do you think a movie is good or bad.

All over twitter the Very Angry Men(tm) just go saying "is bad, is bad" but never really say why and just keep posting that rotten tomatoes screencap over and over again as it a big "I win" trophy. drat I hate that place sometimes. :psyduck:

Anyways I'm gonna go today, I HOPE I find good seats and don't end in the front row like it has happened before because I'm the one idiot that doesn't buy tickets in advance. v:v:v

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I went to see it, and...the movie was good. And so I am more confused about why someone would waste so much time hating so hard on it. But anyway, I'm not here to talk about chuds, let's talk about how I need more Skrulls in my life. They were so loving fun! (during the scenes were they had to be fun) Can I get at least a mini series about Skrulls living in Earth? Please Marvel people?

teagone posted:

Does she say that line in context before she obliterates Jude Law?

I internally went "gently caress YEAH, YEAH!!!! *fist pump* "

PunkBoy posted:

The Marvel de-aging CGI was scary good. After a while I completely forgot Samuel L. Jackson and Clark Gregg are like 30 years older than they appear in the movie.
Oh yeah, they really made it better and it doesn't look odd at all like the first time they used it on Iron Man. At least they were smart in Iron Man so they could wave it as a "it was a computer generated scenario created by Tony" if people started to complain about how fake it looked.

Here? Awesome. I wouldn't be surprised if they win something just because of that.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

[quote="site" post="493227291"]
good news a mini about skrulls living on earth just started on wednesday, it's called...meet the skrulls

:aaa: Oh,hoohohohoho, this is what I need, thanks!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

teagone posted:

Additional Captain marvel thoughts: I'll eat crow about my early grumblings regarding Captain Marvel's costume looking a bit too generic; when it's on fire with the helm/mohawk it looked rad as gently caress, BUT it would have looked even more baller with a sash :haw: That was only other takeaway.

Aside from that, have to say that the movie is right up there with Black Panther in having some of the most bland, uninspired action. Wish they did more interesting stuff with Carol's powers; it was a display of power that felt fairly generic despite having cool CG effects. Marvel needs to hire better second units to shoot their action stuff to make heroes feel properly epic imo. And I agree with the other goons that feel No Doubt's "Just a Girl" was a bad choice for that one particular fight scene. The tempo of that fight felt way off because of the song.

[edit] And the 2nd act or so is kind of a slog until Talos shows up.

I would had put a Smashing Pumpkins song in that scene :colbert: But that's my 90's teen self speaking. Yes, I had a "omg" moment when the Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness poster showed up, but then I got a bit sad because Billy is nowadays a big bad weirdo

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

I watched it on IMAX and it was my first time seeing anything in 3D. It was good, but I left the theater with a mild headache. Is this normal? I still kind of have one (even after having an 8-hour sleep), so maybe it's just regular dehydration.

It might not be related but some people can't handle 3D, for whatever reason I haven't looked up for. I have a sister that gets headaches and a bit dizzy whenever she goes to see a 3D movie, so we usually avoid them.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

That one got quite a few cheers where I was. That and the Stan Lee intro.

Everyone, me included, did a loud "Aaaawww" when Stan Lee made his cameo. It's sweet that even people who aren't hardcore comic book fans have a soft spot for the old man.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 11, 2019

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Gaunab posted:

I liked the loading screen joke. "What's happening?"

Everyone in my screening was old enough to remember that. The joke got doubled because moments later the movie started buffering out of nowhere. We had like 5 minutes of people making "They haven't paid the internet service!/They should change to Infinitum! (A Mexican provider)/That's what you get from buying the pirated CD" jokes.

I also made everyone laugh because I snorted-laughed really loud during the part were Fury gets scanned, I already had a bit of an idea what the joke was gonna be, it was too obvious, so I couldn't help it but laugh before it landed, I just had fun.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

The imdb number, like all review site numbers about this movie, is being mass downvoted by idiots with a bad political agenda, probably using a bunch of fake accounts.

Yeah, we have reached the a time when you shouldn't trust sites that allow users to vote. To be honest, you are better asking to real people in the real world how was the movie, you have a bigger chance of getting a sincere review of the movie you want to watch. (Or you read the posts here, I use you guys as an indicator if a movie is gonna suck or not, or it's not gonna be my cup of tea).

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Red Letter Media's Captain Marvel review is up and they spend like 70% of the thing trying to expose some supposed hypocrisy of Brie Larson instead of talking about the movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pQNYeOEFJc

bessantj posted:

20 minutes to get to the actual review. That's a real dumpster fire of a video. Anyway, now to read the comments... Oh god, no.

Ugh. I'm gonna stay away from this one. They can be funny, but not always.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Also they say that it's a standard Marvel movie and since they've been lukewarm on the Marvel/Disney machine for like 5 movies now they're about the same.

The one thing they did say that really rang true for me is that it's sad only big blockbusters like this get all the press riled up when there's plenty of very good (nay, better) non-superhero movies with female leads that gain no press because they don't have a big swirling chud vs. anti-chud ticket sale fight around them.

The fun part is that the chud vs. anti-chud ticket sale was started by the chuds themselves :lol: They put an ok fun movie on the spotlight and it's the most hilarious thing ever. Like someone said, they should had boycotted the movie by ignoring it, instead of giving it a lot of free advertisement....but this is the same crowd that threw a guillete on the toilet, so welp more :lol:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

One spin the chuds have been trying to trumpet is the 70% drop-off in box office which happens to like every movie ever.

I either blocked/silenced all the chuds, or they went quiet because "oops, the movie didn't flop", 'cause none of them has flooded the threads of the people I follow/Captain Marvel related threads in Twitter, or even Youtube videos. Most comments are people saying how much they enjoyed an ok movie, also cat lovers going nuts for Goose.

So, hooray less toxicity more people wanting to pet murderkitties.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

X-O posted:

Actually the spin is that the reason it's making so much money is that Disney is buying up tickets to shows across the country and there are sold out shows where nobody's in the theater. Sounds plausible to me!

Weren't they blaming a single charity as being culprits of inflating ticket sales?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

zoux posted:

It's "bad' from a comicbook continuity and canon perspective I guess but as a movie it looks good as hell.

Yeah, I'm already seeing a few comments of people being not OK with not having a Batman, or how it doesn't seem to connect to anything from the other movies.

Although the funniest comments are the kiddos happy that it's gonna be :spooky:DARK:spooky: like BvS or Deadpool. Can't wait for their disappointment if it's actually more of an artsy thriller than non-stop explosions and violence.

Edit: I'm actually gonna watch it because I'm dead curious, and it seems to be - if the trailer isn't lying hard to the audience- my kind of movie.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 3, 2019

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Phylodox posted:

Do we know it doesn’t have a Batman? I assumed that’s what “It’s getting crazy out there” was alluding to.

Bruce Wayne parents are alive and he is a child in this movie (I think he is the kid in the trailer). So technically he is there. I guess people don't like that Batman, the vigilante, won't be a cataclysmic for Joker's origin.

Edit: Although if we get a proto-Batman I'm gonna be ok with it :)

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I went to see Shazam with my sister (who although likes comic book movies, she isn't as a big nerd as I am, so she was going blank).

That was...SO FUN. We both were laughing our asses. Her complain is that the first moments of the movie were a bit confusing, as she couldn't tell who was good and who was bad. I gotta agree with that, it was a bit weird but later it started to get better. Overall the rest was funny.My favorite part, where I was bursting in to laughter was during Sivana's passionate villain speech and how Billy doesn't have super hearing :v: The Marvel family was awesome. And yes, the seven deadly sins were extremely scary, I don't think young children will have a good time during the meeting room scene.

Lurdiak posted:

I'm gonna go see it so it makes money and DC keeps making movies like it and not like the movies the scary Snyder fans want.

Yeah, I want to see more stuff like Shazam, less Batman KILLS poo poo.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

https://www.slashfilm.com/hellboy-review/

Hellboy reboot is apparently quite bad!

I've been pondering if I should skip it and wait until it's on a "streaming service".
I'm more tempted in watching Shazam again, I had a very good time.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I'm laughing at the Disney conspiracy believers in that thread.

JordanKai posted:

They ditched GDT for this?

:smith:

Yes. :sigh:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

God I wish movie theaters had a Starbucks

Wait, you guys can't buy frappes and coffees in your cinemas?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Only filled with syrup an sugar. Can't get a black cold Brew bitter as a (Lord of the rings)dwarf's teat

eh, movie coffee is always gonna be crappier, considering they gotta deal with people who are really in a hurry. At least I can have a crepes with my lovely coffee ( and beer & sushi in the VIP o e)

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

kaesarsosei posted:

The amount of people in this thread who can't hold their loving piss is blowing my mind. I am mid-forties, a regular cinema goer, and have NEVER once in my life had to get up during a movie for a piss. And I take a soft drink in with me at least half the time. I'm genuinely amazed.

Gather around and let me tell you how ovarian cysts can make you want to pee frequently.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

JordanKai posted:

I'm praying that Lionsgate will end up pulling a Devil May Cry by pretending this film never happened and getting Del Toro back to do Hellboy 3 instead. :pray:

gently caress it, I hope del Toro goes like "nope,lol" and makes another Shape of Water but instead of not-Abe is not-Hellboy.

And wins all Oscars.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Or get them to greenlight his Mountains of Madness movie. Then more Hellboy.

How about Mountains of Madness but all the characters suspiciously look a lot like Hellboy's characters.

And he still wins all the Oscars.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

I've been wondering if this might be the most anticipated movie in history.

People we're hyped for Return of the King, but that was still mostly a nerd thing. There's Phantom Menace which also had a huge ad campaign, but I don't remember anything on this scale.

tbh Disney/ Marvel managed to steer away from being a nerd-only product. Even if a few weird nerds get angry about it. You dont even need to read the comics to enjoy the MCU.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

David D. Davidson posted:

Also screw it tomorrow's 420, I'm gonna be high, I'm gonna be drunk and I got some Green Tea Mochi flavored ice cream. Anyone wanna join me for a Simuwatch of X-Men Origins: Wolverine tomorrow night?

That Wolverine movie is actually a fun watch, specially because of the terrible special effects. Those CGI claws. drat.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I saw it today.

It was great.

muscles like this! posted:

The showing I was at was mostly quiet but when Cap picked up the hammer the entire theater erupted in cheers.

The people were all laughing at the usual, but they truly erupted in cheers and "WHAT" and actual screams when The portals started to open and T'challa made his entrance. I think the people in my screening LOVED Black Panther. There was a girl yelling "It's him, it's him!". hahaha it was quite a fun crowd.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Edit: X-O, sorry!

--Thanos snapped this post--

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 28, 2019

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

howe_sam posted:

I saw it again this afternoon, can I say how much I love that Howard the Duck is in the background of the big fight

Oh great! There were so many characters during the portal scenes and I was truly so excited that I didn't notice at all. That's so sweet. But not as sweet as Valkyrie's badass rad pegasus. A flying horse. In a super hero movie. During a battle against aliens from another time line. Let that sink in.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Okay so, what was possible the most intelligent individual of the team is gone. Finito. Bye-bye. (Bruce's area of expertise is a different one, from what could be seen and Rocket is out there having space adventures so he doesn't really count, Peter Parker is still a kiddo and he is more in to chemistry and being a kiddo).....Does that mean we get the chance of a Reed Richards coming in to scene? OHGODPLEASE

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

You forgot Shuri. Everyone says she's the smartest character in the MCU. But everyone says that about every tech support character in every franchise.

I had forgotten that. But yeah,they probably say that because they can make robots and poo poo. :v:

teagone posted:

I don't know anything about the Fantastic Four, but Emily Blunt and John Krasinski as Sue and Reed Richards would be pretty cool. Would like the MCU to focus on them at one point, and make them like the new Iron Man of the franchise or whatever.

They don't have to introduce them immediately. Just small cameos here and there, perhaps whatever is left of SHIELD needs a new smart brains and they find Reed. Who is just this unknown genius.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Oh man wait until you hear about Star Lord and Luis.

Chris Pratt is currently Bad Chris for me. Quite a disappointment.

Actually, I just don't even consider him part of the Chris team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I hope Universal decides to let go and he gets to have a solo movie. Ruffalo is so sweet.