Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, Captain Marvel's meant to be a big character in Avengers 4 so perhaps she's in its trailer.

If people are sufficiently convinced of Captain Marvel's importance in Avengers 4 (which is obviously the movie most people are more interested in) then more people will go to see Captain Marvel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I bet this Shang Chi movie is how Nicolas Cage finally gets to play Fu Manchu for real.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

That flick is flawless.

The most disappointing thing about The Long Kiss Goodnight is that Shane Black's screenplay ended with the line "CHARLEY BALTIMORE WILL RETURN..."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ojjeorago posted:

Who will they cast as Marcus for Captain Marvel 2?

Probably Casey Affleck.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
John Astin was 34 when he started playing Gomez.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SonicRulez posted:

I thought Batman '89 was corny.

To be completely fair, it is, and it's really a question of whether you think that's a good thing or a bad thing.

If anything, it's probably suffered for having been held up for how Dark and Serious it is for the past 30 years.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Barry Convex posted:

it’s really just the Adam West show filtered through a Tim Burton prism. It’s only “darker” insofar as there’s literally less light and characters actually die

Both Burton and Schumacher were following the Adam West show far more than the comics. I don't know. Maybe it's because of my age - I was born in 1991 - that I've never been able to appreciate why people got so mad at the Adam West series. I can sort of imagine that it might getting a bit annoying that people associate all comics with "BAM! POW! ZAP!" but, honestly, I don't really see why anyone would care strongly about that. If you're enjoying something and it's not doing anyone any harm, why get hung up on what other people think of it?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was BvS always supposed to be the sequel or was MoS 2 meant to happen first?

I assumed it was the latter but lately I have heard differently. I know Snyder viewed it as a five-part series but I assumed it was MoS > MoS 2 > BvS > JL Part 1 > JL Part 2.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Aren't Gunn and Snyder rather close friends? He probably had implicit permission to ape the style here

Impossible - everyone knows people who work for Marvel movies and DC movies hate each other as much as their fans do. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In my experience, confusion only has to be proven in respect of alleged infringement of a trademark; for copyright infringement, substantial similarity will do. Of course I studied British IP law so it is probably slightly different in practice in America!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If it's a new invention, you can patent it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dacap posted:

I recall reading something that he was originally looked at to play a small cameo as The Riddler and Zack Snyder liked his performance so much that they decided to modernize the interpretation of Lex Luther based on it with him in the role

Does anyone remember that rumour from 2008 about how the sequel to Dark Knight would definitely feature the Riddler and he'd be played by David Tennant?

I do.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I am definitely feeling more enthusiastic about the MIB one than the Hellboy one.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The one I remember was McFarlane standing awkwardly in a room full of Nazi memorabilia, Confederate flags and Ku Klux Klan regalia mumbling about how symbols of evil are everywhere and how Spawn was going to strike back against racism in this episode.

I'm not sure what to think of Spawn of all characters being the most prominent and popular black superhero of the 90s. I guess it seems odd in retrospect based on the huge popularity of Black Panther in both this decade and the 00s or how John Stewart is the definitive Green Lantern for a generation of fans raised on the DCAU.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Isn't that the norm for big budget films these days?

Pretty much everything except Star Wars, which is the only major franchise which consistently makes most of its take domestically.

As for Spiderverse, one hot take I've seen is that a segment of the potential audience might just be reluctant to see it because they assume that a traditionally-animated movie is for kids (whereas they're conditioned by experience to presume that 3D animated movies will have jokes slipped in for the adults). Not sure if I buy that, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like Adam West Batman the best because he's such a square.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jimi, Noel and Mitch were the best trio.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The last word on trinities:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMSGU4GYNFc&t=442s

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Who can pull off being a big enough jerk to be Guy Gardner? Hugh Laurie is too old.

Half-joking: Adam Baldwin. Just get him doing that thing where Guy is being all :smug: about how good ol' Ronnie is going to sort it out then he gets a severe dig in the bake from Batman.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m really blanking on Kyle for some reason.

Benicio Del Toro except using Disney's youthifying technology to make him look like he did in Licence to Kill.

Edit: When he looked like this:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember one rumour for a few years ago (probably pre-Batman v Superman) about Warner Bros trying to get Denzel Washington to play Green Lantern. They were talking about having him play Hal Jordan rather than John Stewart but that would still have been interesting, because Washington was already in his 50s by then so maybe then they would have gone with the post-Crisis era older Hal who had been a veteran GL for years.

I can't remember who it was, if it was Johns or Didio or someone else, but wasn't one major DC writer or editor on record saying they hated Hal being grey at the temples and celebrating his 40th birthday in one story? I know the story about Miller writing TDKR because on turning 31 he realised he was now older than Batman, but I'm sure I'm not mixing them up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

The Barry Allen always gets me because I'd argue he wrote maybe the best Wally stories. It's close between him and Waid but I'd probably give him the edge barely. Not sure how you can spend that much time on a character in a defining run and then flush it all away.

He couldn't get Bart out of the Impulse costume and into the Kid Flash suit fast enough either once he came on Teen Titans.

Wouldn't have minded except I don't think he ever wrote a very interesting Bart in Teen Titans (granted, his attention was clearly on other characters in that run).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I love money.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I myself am not a communist but if I was I'd want to be a Richard Burton type communist, which is the sort where you're a communist but you also get to be a multi-millionaire international celebrity and married to Elizabeth Taylor (twice). You hear about Maoists and Stalinists and North Koreanists but that seems like the coolest version. :v:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 7, 2019

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Hal Jordan was fun when he was the stern rear end in a top hat cop to Ollie Queen's cynical aging hippie in a traveling buddy comic, but he's dull as dirt on his own.

Who'd be a good double-act to play them in a movie today? Hell, at any time? Like, imagine if they'd done it in 1973, it could've been Paul Newman and Robert Redford, for instance. Or if they'd done it in 1977, Clint Eastwood and Jeff Bridges.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum.

But who'd play who?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm sort of indifferent to the Captain Marvel trailer. I don't dislike it. I guess it looks like a Marvel movie. I'm not sure if it's one I'll rush out to see in the cinema.

Granted, all superhero movies blur together for me these days regardless of who's making them. Does anyone else ever find that? Doesn't matter if you're watching a Marvel movie, a DC movie, a Sony Spidey movie etc., some of them may look nicer than others but they all feel like they clump together a bit as just "superhero movies" and I don't really distinguish much between them. :v:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 8, 2019

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did people think Aquaman was going to bomb? I can certainly imagine few if anyone expecting it do perform as well as it has done, but did anybody really expect it to bomb?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe it was explicitly to avoid harming Mary Poppins. Venom was able to make a huge pile by releasing in October when there wasn't really anything for it to compete with. That's probably where and when Disney should have aimed to put Solo.

I mean, what else did they have out then? That Nutcracker movie?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It would be cool for them to adapt the Silver Age Death of Superman story as a one-off movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing I'd be keen for Marvel to adapt into movies is the Exiles.

Not the time-travelling X-Men spin-off team, but the team of escaped Axis war criminals who the Red Skull hid on a secret island as his chiefs of staff.

You have Baldini, an Italian who looked exactly like Mussolini and used his scarf as a whip-like weapon.

Then there's Gruning, a German who had an actual whip. The whip was sometimes electrified, making him slightly more useful than his Italian comrade.

General Ching, a Chinese guy whose associations with former Axis war criminals is unclear to me; still, it was the Cold War, and I suppose China was communist by then. Had a gun.

Next up is Ivan Krushki, who looks and talks and is named like he should be challenging the Hulkster for the world heavyweight championship in 1987; he was also a wrestler. Presumably he was a collaborator with the Nazis, but again, it was the Cold War, so you probably just had to have a Russian bad guy on your team.

"Iron Hand" Hauptmann was another German. He had an iron hand that fired laser beams. Also fought Iron Man. A poo poo version of Baron Strucker.

Finally is CADAVUS, MONARCH OF THE MURDER CHAIR, a crippled German mad scientist who piloted a MURDER CHAIR of which he was the MONARCH. Unfortunately for him, even his MONARCHY of his MURDER CHAIR was not enough to overcome Captain America.

I've said a few times that my all-time least favourite D-list supervillain team is Salem's Seven. Well, these losers are, if not my favourites, then close to the top.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

kaesarsosei posted:

Not necessarily the right thread but has anyone heard any buzz about this new Netflix show, Titans? Its DC related right?

Yeah, it's one they made for the launch of their streaming service. I haven't seen it myself, but I understand it's generally been pretty well-received, overcoming a first-look trailer which was, to say the least, divisive in that it came off as a kind of tryhard "dark and edgy" thing.

Best place to ask would be in the BSS tv thread.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cythereal posted:

And it came up briefly in the CineD thread, but Marvel's talked in the last six months or so about two more female superheroes they plan to add to the MCU: Kamala Khan, who they feel needs Captain Marvel to be established first in order to work (maybe her own movie, maybe she'll be in Captain Marvel 2), and Silk who they provided no details about their plans for.

I thought Silk was going to be a Sony movie spinning out of Spiderverse?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

I hope they don't cast Peter as Feyd, that would be, uncomfortable. You need someone really young and pretty to be Feyd, so maybe Harry Styles?

Bill Skarsgard?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

If nothing else, it doesn't look like it's gonna be a love story - that aspect in WW annoyed me.

It could have been the story about a love of a man for a fine Cuban cigar, but I think Nick Fury doesn't smoke any more.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cythereal posted:

I will always remember WW for how hilariously bleak and ironic the ending is. Yay, Ares is dead! Everyone's laughing and hugging! The War to End All Wars is over!

...Oh wait, what's that coming twenty years later?

Should have ended with Ares reincarnating as Ludendorff before fading into one of the many, many photographs of the real Ludendorff with the Austrian corporal whose political career he supported during the inter-war years. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

Warner Bros is the one with the cosy relationship with the US Army. The MCU famously lost their relationship with the Pentagon for showing the army nuking New York during the Avengers.

Almost every big studio in Hollywood has some sort of connection with the Pentagon.

Of course, it's hardly a uniquely American phenomenon. Stanley Kubrick had some sort of arrangement with Franco's government to get 8,000 Spanish soldiers to play the Roman army in Spartacus.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 10, 2019

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

It especially works for The Lone Ranger because nobody saw it

I saw that in the cinema with my parents and it was my mum's favourite movie of the year because she thinks Johnny Depp is "so quirky" (this is also why my parents and many of their friends, as I was very surprised to learn a couple of years ago, love The Big Bang Theory).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

... is it also why Trump won?

Wrong country, though my parents are admittedly the sort of people who would be very embarrassed by Trump but then vote for him anyway because Clinton was too left-wing for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

No, my parents were both firmly anti-Brexit. Dad, at least, is of the view that we never should have joined but that however bad he thinks the EU is, leaving would be much worse.