Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Heavy Metal posted:

And those posts mentioned, I feel like that's just not getting pulpy crime fiction. And attacking fans, really odd to me. It has nothing to do with real life tragedies in the news or Trump or something to enjoy and invest in an amoral/stylized pulpy tale.

Turns out "unhinged gun-nut goes around shooting people (largely minorities) because he thinks they deserve it" doesn't play as well these days for some weird reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Heavy Metal posted:

And sure, there are ignorant or hateful people who like some pop fantasy stuff we like, maybe they like Star Wars too.

Cops aren't decorating their squad cars with the Rebel Alliance logo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ashpanash posted:

Everyone has a bad opinion about something. I wonder how long this cultural moment can last.

It can last as long as those bad opinions are "being a bigot and thinking a chunk of people are degenerate sinners who don't deserve the same fundamental rights or liberties as everyone else." Or alternately "no actually means yes."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah, CM really stuck the landing on the ending, which predisposes me to like it a lot. It's a movie that, on paper, is very disjointed -- the first act is goofy Marvel cosmic, the second act is half buddy-cop spy adventure and half 90's fish out of water comedy, then the third act flips the first act's premise on its head and repeats everything, but in reverse. But there's a solid through-line of Carol Danvers -- who is less of a character and more of an attitude -- that stays constant through the whole thing and mortars it together pretty well.

Yeah, I just got back from the movie and this mirrors my thoughts on it pretty well. I wasn't sure what to expect from Brie Larson's portrayal going into the movie but I was very pleasantly surprised at how engaging it was, and I thought she had good buddy cop chemistry with the magically de-aged Samuel L. Jackson (who also seemed to be having a good time). My mother liked it more than Wonder Woman and I kinda have to agree with her, as well as whoever it was that said that Captain Marvel is like the inverse Wonder Woman in that it starts out kind of slow and disjointed but then picks up in the middle and nails the ending whereas Wonder Woman started strong, had its high points around the middle of the movie, and then had a tepid finish. There's absolutely no way any chud hopes and dreams of this movie being a bomb and necessitating frantic rewrites come true.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

DynamicSloth posted:

To the extent this isn't quite true the text of this and other movies pretty well establishes that Fury will fudge details to enhance his mystique.

I choose to believe he was being 100% sincere when he said this.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I like to think that Fury got his big promotion thanks to singlehandedly "uncovering" the Tesseract.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Remind me again why anyone likes Red Letter Media.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Did they start being funny after he stopped doing a bit about keeping a prostitute locked up in his basement, or are we counting that too?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Arist posted:

I'd absolutely want a Gunn Guardians 3 before his Suicide Squad 2, but we get both! That's great! I can't find any reason to complain about that!

Also Mike Cernovich gets to eat poo poo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

:10bux: says Gunn is back to launch the X-Men in the MCU.

Is he on twitter still?

https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/1106624267297316864

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Fangz posted:

I wish somethingawful respected my twitter blocking preferences.

I won't link to any more of his stuff but I figured this one time I'd make an exception.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

For the record I thought she was a free spirited and incredibly determined person who had been trained and brainwashed into being a stoic condescending hardass. The movie is kind of about her true nature asserting itself.

Samuringa posted:

Spitefully heroic might be the best role model we need right now, so I approve.

Yeah this was my takeaway as well. I mean I probably wouldn't say "spitefully" but I definitely got the impression of someone who gets up when she's knocked down not because she's taking the weight of the world on her shoulders but because she simply refuses to let herself be beaten by anybody. And Lurdiak's point goes back to the very first bits of the movie where Jude Law keeps telling her "you have to control your emotions, you're too emotional, you'll never beat me if you let your emotions get the better of you" except it turns out that's all horseshit and she beats him at the end by being herself and doing things her way (by shooting him into a mountainside with space lasers).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

teagone posted:

I personally agree with a lot of what the guy has to say and have echo'd similar sentiments elsewhere for some time, but he thinks Whedon is some kind of visionary filmmaker and that's a hard disagree on my end lol.

Probably the best thing to happen to the MCU was Whedon calling it quits and the Russos taking over as the "prestige" directors. I'm extremely glad that the long tail of Joss Whedon's tenure as the darlingest nerd darling seems to have run its course.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

WampaLord posted:

This post is a week+ old but I needed to quote it just to agree. There is so much loving backlash from the MCU trying to do Whedon quippiness and running it into the ground that people forget that Avengers 1 was actually a loving amazing tightrope walk of a movie to make and Whedon pulled it off because he can write fun, snappy dialogue that instantly characterizes people and that's a rare talent to have.

Sure say what you want about his TV lighting and his TV style directing, obviously the man came from television and that's what he's best at. But I don't think any other writer could have handled that material as well, and the backlash to Whedon is mostly just people reacting to a trend of quippiness that kept going after him and was done worse and worse with every person who followed (except James Gunn, the Guardians movies are probably the most creative in the whole MCU).

And yea, loving shame about Age of Ultron but I'm willing to assign blame to the studio execs on that one with them demanding too many plot hooks for future movies. Did we really need the Ragnarok tease sequence?

I'm not gonna pretend that I never liked Avengers 1 or thought that Whedon was always mega turbo dogshit but I will say that looking back on the Avengers movies from 2019, my honest opinion is that they just don't really hold up very well. I don't think it has anything to do with "quippiness" or whatever, I just think that further successive Marvel movies have shown that Whedon wasn't the sole singular talent that could walk that tightrope the way he was held up as back in the day. Do I think Avengers 1 is awful? Nah, I think it's fine for what it is, though I do think he does some things with it that I personally view as missteps...I know Hawkeye is the meme character of the MCU at this point but I feel like it was a bit of a questionable decision to have the character's first full-fledged movie appearance be spent mind controlled by the villain 70% of the time, and I don't think that Whedon has ever had as strong and compelling a grasp of Cap or Natasha as the Russos have. I'll give him some props for laying the groundwork for Ruffalo's version of Bruce Banner, but then in Age of Ultron we have the godawful execution of the Banner/Natasha romance which I'm assuming wasn't studio exec meddling (but I'm willing to be proven wrong) and which I would actually hold up as a lot worse than the weird Ragnarok teaser that was largely pointless.

And to bring it back to an earlier discussion, I don't really feel like either Avengers 1 or Age of Ultron had what I'd consider stellar action direction, though I don't know how much of that to lay at Whedon's feet. I'll add my voice to the consensus that says Winter Soldier is up at the top and I'll also agree with the Iron Man 3 call there. Avengers 1 in particular had memorable setpieces but the action contained within doesn't really pop that much, in my opinion.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

amigolupus posted:

Isn't the backlash against Whedon less about Avengers and AoU being quippy and more how he got revealed as a cheating scumbag to his wife through casting couch with actresses in things he worked on?

At the risk of someone quoting the "I don't even own a television" thing at me I thought Whedon was overrated as the pinnacle of nerd media creation even before that stuff dropped. Now all of that definitely put a stake in the notion that Whedon was this great progressive feminist visionary, as he was often touted as, but Age of Ultron had come out before all that if I recall correctly.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think it started when Age of Ultron came out and was kinda poo poo. It's one of the worst-reviewed movies in the MCU and even then gets off a bit lightly.

He got some sympathy because of studio intereference but that feels like when it started. The accusations from his ex-wife didn't come out until just before Justice League was released.

Whedon has historically blamed studio interference a whole lot whenever something with his name attached to it gets criticized (see Aliens 4) to the point where I'm never entirely sure how much of it is genuine and how much is deflection. It's not that studios never interfere with things (and Marvel Studios in particular has had a rep for that), but it sure does seem that every time someone has something less than complimentary to say about one of Whedon's projects it's always the studio's fault and not his.

Cael posted:

Fellow MCU fanboy here. I always a feel like the marker of a (subjectively) good Marvel movie is rewatchability. I've seen so many of the Marvel movies multiple times, a lot of them on planes where I'm like "oh sure I'll watch Ant Man or GOTG2 again, no doubt". And like Rhyno said, Avengers may be ugly but it's still fun at heart and you can have fun watching. But geez I'm trying to imaging someone who is not just ok with but GIDDY at the prospect of an Age of Ultron rewatch.

Yeah, same here, which is why I've probably seen Winter Soldier more than any other MCU movie. And I would watch Avengers 1 again, that's fair, but you can watch the better bits of AoU on Youtube and just skip the rest.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nodosaur posted:

The movie needed, ironically, more Ultron. Like. James Spader clearly has a good voice for him, you can get a lot of mileage out of how he's a mirror of Tony and not the end result of Hank Pym being gaslit, but the movie treats him like Loki and delegates his stuff to mooks. There's like, two significant clashes with Ultron in the movie, and they're both too short. The movie is more concerned with the avengers fighting mooks and a big flying rock.

Yeah, I would have liked to see Spader get more of a chance to stretch his legs with the role. I guess being Ultron they could always bring him back, but after the rep AoU garnered they may not want to which is a pity.

Dawgstar posted:

The Bruce/Nat thing feels pretty much like a Whedon-exclusive. It's a very soap opera-y thing that ends badly in the film because Whedon is on record as saying he doesn't like showing happy relationships onscreen. Given his own relationship history now in light this perfectly understandable.

"I'm a monster too because I can't have kids" is so awful it actually kind of makes me angry at how bad and dumb it is because I do genuinely think that a Banner/Natasha romance could have been interesting had it been done any better at all.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm gonna dispute the idea that Natasha went into the sterilization wholeheartedly given the flashbacks basically showing that she and her fellow candidates were essentially the superspy equivalent of child soldiers.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

site posted:

Yeah but the mcu didnt immediately go back to the gwen stacy death arc

I think to me the biggest example of Marvel Studios not necessarily caring about cleaving to the most popular/iconic comics for the characters in question is how everyone kept saying "they're gonna do Demon in a Bottle for Iron Man aaaaaany day now" and they never did, no alcoholism storyline, nada.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

YaketySass posted:

Demon in a Bottle adaptation was RDJ's life prior to getting the role.

I can't really disagree with this.

Away all Goats posted:

They kinda started to do it with Iron Man 2 but chickened out

Yeah, they sorta hinted at it but everybody was so sure that the big culmination if movie Tony Stark's personal story arc was going to be a version of Demon in a Bottle and instead we got Iron Man 3 which is, in my opinion, a way better capstone and while it's about trauma and unhealthy coping mechanisms I think it's fair to say that they made a conscious decision to not abide by what many people consider to be one of the more iconic Iron Man stories.

All of this is to say that if and/or when Marvel starts making X-Men movies, I feel like they could get away with waiting on doing any Phoenix stuff or even ignoring it outright if they feel like they'd rather focus on other stuff.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

But the "Jean get Strong turn evil then die" arc is exactly the part of the story that wouldn't fly if it was done today; it only had the dramatic impact it had at the time because Jean Grey was the all-American super-nice good girl 60's Team Mom who the comics audience wouldn't believe could possibly dress in BDSM gear, turn evil, eat a planet, and really for-real die. Today, 40 years post-Phoenix, you can't drink from that well. Jean Grey's been the Phoenix four times longer than she was not the Phoenix. Other than not-loving Wolverine and being ambiguously not-dead, it's her most famous trait. It's the same reason you can't do Gwen Stacy's Death now and have it not suck.

The parts of the comic that could work these days, ironically, are the crazy Claremont space antics. X-men battling mohawk-superman and bird-people on the dark side of the moon? Totally up the MCU's alley.

In addition to this, which is a very good point all around, is the somewhat meta reason that the Phoenix stuff has been overdone (and done badly) in movies as well. "The Phoenix Saga" is the Jean Grey specific equivalent of "we need another retelling of Spider-Man's origin story." At this point it would be more creatively interesting to have a movie Jean Grey and never touch on the Phoenix stuff at all ever and just try to actually make the character compelling for other reasons.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Madkal posted:

I don't really read much Marvel so I don't have a clue who Annihilus is but if you want to do big stuff why not go for Galactus.

Can they? I have no idea what the movie rights are for anything Marvel related anymore, it's such a clusterfuck. Like, they can have the Incredible Hulk in movies but not in a solo movie and they can have Skrulls but not any of the named Skrulls from the comics and can have Scarlet Witch but only because of a loophole etc. I thought all the Fantastic 4 stuff was still off limits but maybe Galactus is fair game? Who fuckin knows.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

howe_sam posted:

Into the Spider-Verse :colbert:

Yeah, this is pretty much the argument-winner in terms of "best Spider-Man movie period" imo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Vintersorg posted:

Yikes.

Calm down.

E: That's a pretty huge reaction. "Shut the gently caress up."

Oh no, not swear words on the internet.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Vintersorg posted:

Swears aren't the issue here.

Being that vulgar for no reason is a bit much.

Maybe if people weren't in a race to be the smuggest prick at the I Don't Even Own a Television Olympics every time somebody gets excited about a thing, other people wouldn't be telling them to shut the gently caress up.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

teagone posted:

Because if so, then you know how I and many others feel when people poo poo all over Snyder—the individual, not his films.

How many more months is it before you start unironically claiming that Zach Snyder fans are one of the most persecuted minorities in America?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

teagone posted:

Why would I do that?

Because apparently people saying mean things about him forces you to post like an rear end in a top hat.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just watched Blade for the first time and it kinda sorta ruled. I’m just not sure if the foley guy for that movie should be applauded or condemned.

Blade's unironically a drat good movie, no "for back in the day" about it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jiro posted:

It's mind boggling that they handled their time travel rules so haphazardly. Pulling a BTF2 is a clever way to solve a problem I admit, but they are so fast and loose with their rules it falls to poo poo and literally turns into DBZ/DB Super's mess of time travel rules. How could they have not looked at this and been like "yeah we definitely won't have comic book nerds and sci-fi nerds hounding us with continuity questions from now till eternity's end"?

I'm pretty sure "comic book nerds will be angry" wasn't even on the top 1,000 considerations they had when making the movie that's going to earn literal billions of dollars regardless of how many hour long youtube videos get made bitching about it for one reason or another.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Having finally seen the movie for myself I wouldn't have believed anyone if they told me that one of the sleeper hits would be Nebula, which is more a statement on how dumb I am because Nebula was really good in GotG2, but in a movie packed with famous characters I thought she got some of the best bits, from her interactions with Tony during the opening to her moment with Rhodey to the bit where she meets her past self. "You're weak!" "You're me." was a great fuckin exchange. Oh and the rest of the movie was pretty dang good too, but I 100% hope Karen Gillian continues to be a part of the GotG series going forward.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Remember when everyone was convinced the Netflix heroes would be in Infinity War and Endgame?

At one point this was a reasonable prediction, though as teagone says it was a window of reasonableness that inexorably closed with the passage of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Retrowave Joe posted:

Now I want that to be the title of the third Ant-Man movie. Just keep adding “and Character” to each sequel

I'm hoping for Ant-Man, Wasp, and the Ghost.