Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Sgt. Politeness posted:

So the Captain Marvel trailer (2?) nnnnndrop is during Monday Night Football? Is this an attempt to get dudebros hyped for Marvel's first big lady movie or is there some other strategy at play?

It's corporate synergy and it's a "for the wives" thing. They did a similar thing with the new trailer for Aladdin which is generally not considered a 'male demographic' movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

^^ Jude Law's character has been confirmed as that by a leaked Funko pop.

howe_sam posted:

"What part of the first trailer did everyone respond to?"
"Captain Marvel punching out the old lady"
"Okay, start the next trailer with that."

I think they had too many olds very upset that someone wasn't showing them the RESPECT they deserve by doing nothing more than living too loving long. So they decided to show the rest of it that it wasn't really someone hitting them for being so loving done with their poo poo but really it was an alien battle on the subway like every normal day.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

So is no one going to talk about this?

Captain Marvel toy:

Like that seem like a pretty huge spoiler.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Ror posted:

I think that's one of those toys that takes some liberties with the plot to make a fun figure. I'm pretty sure the film's content will be more similar to this one:

I would believe this argument if the Legends series had ever really done this before, but they've never really gone that far off. The closest similar toy I can think of is the Mary Jane Marvel Universe figure that came with the little dog (maybe also the Universe Shadowcat figure that came with Lockheed).

Other than that, I can't think of any "male oriented" line figure that's ever had an non-plot "fun figure" though I could be wrong and that's not to say they would never do it either.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 5, 2018

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Aquaman is stupid and fun and surprisingly good for what could've happened. Best moment in any movie this year has to be when that loving Pitbull/Toto's Africa remix comes on. It seriously cannot be explained and is best experiencing yourself.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

So Infinity War question.

Groot used his own arm to help finish Stormbreaker but was also snapped away. Also any of his branches can regrow him. Does this mean either a) Stormbreaker has no handle or b) they can just get a new Groot from breaking off a piece of the handle?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

The movie is a straight up love letter to the entire Spider-Man mythos. I'd be more shocked if Stan wasn't all over the place in it honestly.

I only wish it was out this week on digital rather than next so I could watch it through the long weekend.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Unlucky7 posted:

Do iTunes extras differ any from what ends up on Blu Ray or DVD? I don't know if I want to get the iTunes version of Into the Spiderverse or wait till the physical release which I think is still a few weeks out.

I am hoping for a commentary track. It was fun on the Lego Movie and hopefully Lord and Miller come back on for this.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. However, almost every physical disk at this point also comes with a digital copy of the movie which is redeemable through movies anywhere. Long story short, if you're concerned about missing some extras, wait two weeks for the physical release and you'll get both.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t433PEQGErc
They're really making this, alright.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Hellboy is like a weird series of vignettes that are connected by a pretty thin overall plot. It feels like it spends too much time trying to make comic references that the actual story gets lost. I think there's a good Hellboy movie in there but it's so overstuffed with the bullshit it never gives anything time to actually breathe and grow.

Remember how Sucker Punch was basically like a bunch of music videos strung together? Everything is only in service of moving towards the next bloody metal affair.

The apocalypse monsters at the end are really good though. Some great character design there, very GDT.

I think there's enjoyment to be had in the movie and you can definitely find worse ways to spend 2 hours but it's no where near the GDT ones. I also think 9% is way too loving low. It's mediocre, not horrible.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

David D. Davidson posted:

So get stoned and/or bring booze?

Very much so, yes.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

That's not how Rottentomatoes works.

I understand how rottentomatoes works, but since RT doesn't really have a way to score mediocrity, it classifies those reviews as positive or negative. Usually a movie like this would be closer to 40ish% because of the mediocre reviews. It's wild to me that it would seem even the current "meh" reviews broke negative rather than positive on the scale. The number's climbing more as I think we're getting more of these middle reviews going the other way, it just seems weird (not in a conspiracy sense, more a numbers and stats are weird sense) that all the early numbers seemed to have pushed one way.

The metacritic 33% is a closer number to my thinking but even then, I could see it move up further by the start of next week.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

SDCC is July but D23 is August.

I would bet we get maybe some ideas at SDCC but I just can't see Disney not wanting to elevate D23 higher than SDCC, especially with them weeks from each other. There's little chance they don't return to SDCC after last years absence but I'd be willing to bet they hold back a LOT of information and probably movie announcements until the next month.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Unironically excited for Batman Vs Clayface.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Avatar re-re-release before Avatar 2 will get it back on top. This was just a small battle. Endgame has no legs compared to the might of Cameron!!!

Real talk, I find it interesting that the ceiling for both movies was around the same number. Generally when the world record is beaten is flies by but 2.7-2.8billion being the absolute most a movie can make might actually be a limit based on theater infrastructure and population density. You’d need some fundamental changes to the experience in addition to making a loving huge film to get past that number.

I think time is also a factor on this. Both movies are 3 hours long. I think if Endgame had been the same movie but shorter (let's say all theaters ran it at like 1.25x speed), it would've blown by Avatar a lot more easily simply because theaters could probably squeeze and extra showing or two in the starting days. But as it stands, it totally is interesting that both movies are ending up so close to each other like this.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1184889221837918213

Really good choice.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Before everyone thinks this is in relation to the other words being spoken about comic book movies recently, please see this note at the start of the link

quote:

Below you can read a great interview with Moore conducted by Brazilian writer and editor Raphael Sassaki. The interview was finalized at the end of 2016, translated and published in January 2017 in a reduced version on the online pages of Folha de São Paulo (here).
This is the first time that the original English interview is available in full with the permission of Sassaki. Grazie, Raphael!

So it's not like someone asked him about what scorsese said and he felt he needed to comment, this seems to be a long held opinion.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eQBl3_6FKA

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Galaxy's Edge is the strip club of Disneyland; it exists to finesse every last dollar from your wallet.

The building experience costs almost as much as a single day parkhopper pass ($200). It's fun and there's a lot of things to it but it's incredibly expensive. Same with the droid workshop ($100). The lightsaber is a little more worth it now that people have figured out how to hack the blade to choose what color your want without having to buy blind box kyber crystals trying to find the rare colors (white and black) (at $13 each). The advantage of the crystals is you can combine them with holocrons ($50 for either sith or jedi) and get some character lines (which character is again based on your blind box selection).

There are exactly 2 rides right now; Smuggler's Run, which is fun and cool and people just found out there's a "chewie" mode (an easter egg where all your commands come from chewie with no translation). There's also the newly opened Rise Of The Resistance which is baller as gently caress and basically a full immersion experience that uses everything from live actors to animatronics to efficient walkways to motorized tracks. However as of now you basically need to show up to the park before opening and then open the app to be randomly selected for when you can hope to ride the ride. The ride breaks down....a lot too. It's been quite a sticking point.

Otherwise the whole area is straight up shops or food and there's a lot of them. Like more than any other area in the park. There's a whole bazaar that's nothing but shops. Shops line just about every walkway and they've also removed just about every bench in the area (which is out of line with every other area in either disneyland park).

The area on a whole is incredibly immersive though. It really does feel like you're in the star wars universe.

The guy in charge of releasing Galaxy's Edge is now head of Disney. I've heard him called Tim Cook to Iger's Steve Jobs which seems rather apt considering the experience I just described.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Oh, we talkin bout the 2018 holiday classic Aquaman again? The movie that went to hit maker and Mr Worldwide to make the premiere song for the soundtrack that features heavy sampling of a song about the driest continent in the world?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQsvACk6vxs

The movie is goofy as poo poo and fun because it makes the silliest choices at every corner which makes it different than the other DCEU movies that make the dumbest choices at every corner.