Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Captain Boomerang should have been Seth Rogan. Kind of dig his jacket, though.

And gently caress I haaaaaate Pete Davidson. I don't even want to see him brutally killed when the gov decides to do SS without Waller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yes and I don't understand why people hate him outside of general hipster hate, he's genuinely funny (bad at SNL though)
He recently did a set at a college and called out the audience for not laughing at his stuff of being on their phones or something and it was just eghhhhhh.

Before that it was just him being everywhere and being way, wayyyyy too candid about their relationship (something like "I thank god everytime we have sex/i see her pussy").

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hey remember when Renner said some misogynistic stuff while doing AoU pressers and he like doubled down on being a shithead about them.

Huh, guess we know why.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nodosaur posted:

Chris Evans did the same thing.
Evans bro'd put over the joke then gave an apology about it being bad, yes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nodosaur posted:

I'm just saying, people tend to leave out that part.
One guy said "we made a tasteless joke that was juvenile and offensive and you are right to be upset with us"

The other said "sorry a bad joke about a fictional character offended anyone". Then they went on a talk show to complain that they were in Internet Trouble and added
“Mind you, I was talking about a fictional character and fictional behavior. But, if you slept with four of the six Avengers, no matter how much fun you had, you’d be a slut"

Yeah no poo poo they leave Evans out of it wonder why.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
All that work and he just looks like Pete Davidson after a bad night.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

JT Smiley posted:

I loved the way the art style looked on the later seasons.
That's the thing, the first season or two was pretty dire. Toyetic isn't even a description as much as it was a keystone of the thing: the damned batmobile had a mobile LCD thing that used ultrasonic signals from the broadcast to download/unlock poo poo (like characters or somefuck) so it was like Bat Pokemon when you were encouraged to watch with your toys because you'd get cool things.

Once all that nonsense went away, and they brought in secondary characters, it found some ok footing.

But man, when they whiffed character designs they whiffed hard.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Scaramouche posted:

Never saw it, was that the one where Aquaman was like a macho show tune singing dude?
Yup.
The VAs are great and the character design is a nice throwback to the 40s. The plots are nice and fun and even get half serious now and again.

You should really watch it. Their final episode was basically the show being cancelled due to BatMite getting bored, instituting a bunch of bad cartoon changes to tank it (Ted McGinley comes on as a replacement Aquaman Voice, Batman gets a smart-rear end talking Action Sled partner. Etc). At the end, Bader's Batman addresses the audience and basically says hey, we had a great run. We all loved doing this. But now it's time for something else to come around. And that's ok. Just remember the Hammers of Justice and all the fun we had. See you around.

It was a really sweet way to close the series off.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 21, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bessantj posted:

People seem to really love him.
He's by all accounts really pleasant to work with, which is a rarity in Hollywood. While his style doesn't always work for me personally, I appreciate that his works do have a vision behind them and that he has a great eye for scene composition and cinematography.

I really enjoyed how much worldbuilding was done by the intro to Watchmen, for example.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Open Marriage Night posted:

What’s the context here?
When Terrance Howard asked for more pay to reprise Rhodes in IM2 and was subsequently canned, Racist Old Uncleguy at Marvel was like "Cheadle? Yeah sure hire whoever all blacks look alike"

Cheadle thought the poster had reversed it (that Ike said that about Howard) and Cheadle was trying to set it straight when he realized he just misread it. Op was worried he would have angry fanboys clogging their feed as a result.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Fast and the Furious basically became MASK and i'm down for that.

But the original really is a good film, as much as it's streetcar Point Break (but gently caress that fartcan exhaust & giant spoiler trend it started).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SlimGoodbody posted:

Oh buddy, F&F didn't start that, it picked up on an obnoxious subculture that had been going on for years by that time in Orange County at the very least
Oh I get that. I know about the car culture since I'm from LA.

I'm just saying I wouldn't have seen loving Ford Taurus's with SPOILERZZ if the film hadn't popularized it so much.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Yvonmukluk posted:

I saw on another forum somebody got a still of all the logos it flashed through, if anyone wants to try theorycrafting:

Iron Spider - 2099 - ?
2099 White or Advanced/Game Suit or Silk - SpiderGwen - (Mayday Venom?)
? - ? - Miles?

Actually the center one looks like a few spider-symbols superimposed so it's probably the cast from the prior film.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 2, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

OnimaruXLR posted:

yo that first one is as likely to be the Toei Spider-Man as it is anything
Oh yeah! The style mates the yellow and red offset of the title text for the Toei series! Good catch.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Alhazred posted:

Turning Hawkguy into boring and uncharismatic hawkdad is one of the weirdest direction they could've taken him.
Hawkeye was a charisma black hole and they had Nat as the "cool assassin no powers" person anyway.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
One of the reddish logos from the initial batch of 9 had a cgi-ish look, as well.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bruceski posted:

They got some great hams into the various roles.
Vincent loving Price as Egghead. So fun.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Justice League was so bad it made me like BVS a little more. And i loving hated that dumb Flash timetravel poo poo that was forced in.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

site posted:

i hope the snyder cut has mustache superman
Wasn't the Snyderman resurrection to feature the black suit and have Supes go AntiLife evil because Lois died?

Release the snydercut as a comic book tpb first

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jamesman posted:

Wait, Martian Manhunter was gonna be in Justice League? I thought they weren't making a movie for sad virgins.
There was a black General/ArmyGuy that would be in as a bit part and then probably at the end make some vague statement about needing new heroes with superman dead and then his eyes would turn red and skin would go slightly green and the thinkpieces would launch.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I'm really not trying to be reductive but I don't see the impact. Maybe he's got charities in his name or something.
Morrison, Moore, Gaiman, and Miller all pushed cape books into new ground and basically laid the foundation for like 20 years of narrative direction.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sure, but you could say similar things about other works in marginalized areas. The fact that they break out and get reinterpreted or adapted for another audience is, in itself, important. Much less what impact it leaves on the immediate medium.

Like you can say the Teatro Campesino was just a bunch of Mexican Americans with theatre and english degrees poking fun at social ills in a low art kind of way, but that opened the door to Zoot Suit being made.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sgt. Politeness posted:

But the zoot suit is a real thing, evidence, a metric to be measured.
What a weird-rear end take.

Anyway, I think we're just talking past each other since you're taking the tack where you're discounting the effect Moore's had on the genre.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Huh. I'm a huge Maxx fan, so i'll watch it, but it's hard to think of a comic that was more beholden to a very specific time, place, and ambience than the Maxx.
Instead of a current show they can sell it as an early 90s period piece.

I'll see if they can stick the ending that made the cartoon so drat good.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

twistedmentat posted:

The woman in the Maxx is drawn to have a belly and a big butt/thighs.
Yeah. Julie is drawn on the thin side, but she's not cheesecake material like Rogue/Polaris were at the time. And she recognizes that her body has realistic proportions/"flaws"

It's only in the outback that she gets the amazon warrior queen look.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Gone is a serial rapist and Julie was raped by a hitchhiker when she was in college. Don't remember Sarah's deal other that Gone being her daddy.

Julie is also dealing with, iirc, running Dave/Maxx over and the childhood trauma of trying to keep a mortally wounded rabbit alive and watching it suffer through a prolonged death.

The Outback is supposed to be empowering, but the show explores how much of that wish-fulfillment is just a coping mechanism to retreat to when Julie doesn't want to deal with her trauma, and the extent to which she's dragging Maxx into this as a codependent toxic relationship.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dawgstar posted:

If I remember right even Julie's working as a social worker was to avoid dealing with her own issues by helping others with theirs.
Yeah. It's also penance for the hit and run.

And the series was like "well are you really helping them with the martyr savior act? Or is this just so you can feel better?"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Karloff posted:

I do find a lot of streaming services choose baffling images that make the film look kind of lame. No idea why.
THE ALGORITHM causes the screencap to vary now and again. I first noticed it when Stranger Things went from a cool Drew Struzan-like poster to El walking in the dark limbospace.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CelticPredator posted:

Have you seen Hellboy
Exactly my take.

I was kind of lukewarm until he came in. If he's like a gen 1 supersoldier that never quite worked I think it'll be fun.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Finally an explanation for why she went blonde!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

John Wick of Dogs posted:

In BvS she was re-emerging for the first time, having given up on humanity presumably because of the events of WW. Then in the end of this she says she'll always be around and her faith in humanity is restored.
Maybe you could argue her naivety being used against her caused her to re-assess how she would operate in the world?

I don't know how that ends up being "Philanthropist art-historian antiquities preservationist" though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Glad to see they're taking a mute character with learning disabilities and autistic coding and not leaning into any of that to provide positive representation

(I am not glad, it is bad)
Cass is a hard case because on the other hand "I took this child and taught her to communicate only with violence. She speaks Kung Fu and thinks in Karate" is kiiiiind of a poo poo thing for an asian character.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Gadot looked like she was going through the motions in those scenes, but the choreography and inventiveness was totally over the top and pretty cool.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aphrodite posted:

Not even waiting until we have more than 2 frames of her face huh?
I guess it's just the slow-mo bullet scene, looking at it again.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Madkal posted:

Cloud Atlas is a beautiful mess
The Yellowface Pleasuredroid scenes are hard to watch. I know the gimmick was same actors remixed through time but that part was... something else.

The ultimate message, about people changing across generations where even a craven traitor can find redemption, was kind of beautiful.

Honestly haven't had a reaction to the scope of ideas like that since I saw The Fountain in theatres.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vandar posted:

something the movie could have used a little more of in the end.
The closest we get is his Second Life thing where he actually apologizes to the band, makes amends and admits he done the girls wrong. It's glossed over too fast.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I only enjoy artisanal punchmans, informed by the finest baroque paintings and Excalibur.

Also my film has a jar of piss.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lurdiak posted:

All I want for christmas is for the Snyder cut to somehow get destroyed.
:hmmyes:

Extremely this.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
You mean the movie where the genetically superior folk know what's good for everyone and the mean government restrict their gifts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Madkal posted:

using the powers to help other people
Also Mr. I's use of superheroics is a stopgap midlife crisis, so he's not exactly a selfless angel.