Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

mikeraskol posted:

Trailer 2. Serious Binary-looking action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LHxvxdRnYc

This is going to be a good movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Water, barley, and hops :guinness:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

site posted:

The only good things that came out of the raimi movies was BONESAWWWWW and the train sequence in 2

Alfred Molina's Doc Ock is one of the all-time great supervillains.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Because he's also good at other things?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Disney owns a stake in Hulu, so it's really not surprising.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, Spider-Verse won a BAFTA and everything it was nominated for at the Annies. Do we think it might get the Oscar?

I think so, it has the momentum and it has the narrative and once you start winning, you tend to keep winning. It helps that it is a genuinely exception film that even people who don't give a gently caress about superheroes enjoy.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Audible reactions are pretty normal in movie theatres in my experience, expected and frankly very welcome, but I'm in Chicago and we're a live theatre town so we're probably all operating under a similar set of expectations. Still, I can't imagine seeing a film and just sitting there in stony silence, I guess if the film was really terrible maybe?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I took it that way but maybe that's just because as an X-Men fan my go-to space jerk empire is the Shi'ar which is expressly that way.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Winter Soldier is remarkable steady in it's fight cinematography, honestly it has probably the most coherent choreo and filming I've ever seen. The design of the fights is absolutely exquisite, it's logical and martially sound (or at least internally consistent) and when you watch the fights you can actually follow what's happening, the camera work is definitely dynamic--and having just rewatched the Batroc and highway sequences they're even moreso than I'd remembered--but I think it's more the editing than the cinematography that gives it that feeling. Despite the fast cuts and the camera movement the Winter Soldier fights still are easy to track and feel very cogent for want of a better word.

Civil War feels really shakey cam to me, to the point that I found it disappointing because the Russos in Winter Soldier struck such a good balance. Maybe it's a terminology thing but to me shakey cam obscures the fight work and Winter Soldier uses the dynamism of the camera work to heighten the fights. I'm also a stage fighter and sometimes violence designer (for theatre rather than on camera though I have studied it some) so my perspective is very specific.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Here's a thread of all the Endgame posters

https://twitter.com/ForAllNerds/status/1110573285270609925?s=19

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I'm really into the idea of Anson Mount as Reed Richards. Plus it doesn't matter that he technically played Black Bolt because nobody watched Inhumans and who cares anyway?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

At one point Captain Marvel was literally standing outside a broken phonebooth with money in her hand, that's all I'm saying.

God dammit.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

site posted:

I like ironheart :shrug:

I didn't like it at first but it's really grown on me and I think it's been made to suit her (:haw:) really well. It would be weird to call her anything else now.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

It took me until the second time he said FlashMob that I understood the pun.

It took me until right now.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Turns out it's also Asgard's rear end.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

It's also related to the specific wording of the enchantment on Mjolnir "Whosoever holds this hammer, if they be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor." Since Jane was worthy and Odinson was not, she took over the title wholesale.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

No because Thor's worthiness was intact. If they had picked it up in the first two acts of Thor 1, then yes. It's the same thing as Beta Ray Bill.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

^^^^
Oh poo poo that's great, I didn't know that bit.

I don't think Koi Boi is textually trans but a convincing case has been made for that being the intent with him. I'd love it to be explicitly stated.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Nightcrawler isn't furry he's just blue.

He's the Fuzzy Blue Elf, he is covered in fur.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

I should know the answer to this, but is Mickey actually genuinely for-realsies no-foolin’ becoming public domain in 2024?

Yes-ish, as I understand it, the version of Mickey Mouse as he appears in Steamboat Willie will be public domain but no other versions will. The consensus seems to be that copyright extensions are done so we'll see more and more stuff slipping into public domain for all the good it's likely to do.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Interesting that Disney hasn't locked Taika down.

An actor can work for whatever studio/producer will hire them.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

SlimGoodbody posted:

Ant Man and The Wasp and Ghost and Stature

And Luis.

e: Luis And His Amazing Friends.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/kibblesmith/status/1214286558569926663

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

If Bale doesn't go full MODOK he is a coward.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

He's not just Black-British. He's Black-British on his mother's side. (She was originally a Victorian sex worker.)
His father was a English noble or Lord of some sort. And a vampire.

Unless they have retconned it for being deeply problematic outside of its 1970's origins.

Nope, it recently came up in Strikeforce.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

sticksy posted:

FWIW she was pretty good in Midsommar

She was also excellent in Little Women.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Or Sebastian Shaw if they wanna do Hellfire Club for real this time.

I was thinking Mr. Sinister too but gently caress that, Shaw is what I want to see now, that's so good.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

ruddiger posted:

The post credits scene in Masters of the Universe blew my mind when I was a kid and to this day I’m still waiting for the sequel.

Same! I'm also the one person still waiting for Mario and Luigi to go back to help Peach.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Nothing has been released, I'm not even sure we know which, if any, of them have wrapped production.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

bessantj posted:

I thought nothing had been released, I just wondered if they had a release schedule. Surprised they didn't try to get one or two of them out for the launch.

Poor phrasing on my part, I should have said no release date has been announced yet. It is strange that they didn't have anything ready to go at the jump even with the complicated nature of filming series like that, you'd think they'd have planned it better.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

SlimGoodbody posted:

I don't know what any of that is, but it sounds metal af

It was the first time and even the second time but it's been done to death in the span of like a year and a half.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

The X-movies are the most authentically comic book in that way. Wild swings in characterizations and overall quality, continuity that doesn't quite fit together, reboots and retcons galore, it's like the real thing.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

The biggest problem with the soundtrack to Captain Marvel was that they used the wrong No Doubt song for the big fight. It should have been Excuse Me Mr. not Just A Girl.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Still can't get over him not yelling the 'Assemble' though.

I'm sure they did takes like that (among many others) but I'm glad they settled on the understated one, there's an intensity to that line reading and I think putting more on it just wouldn't sell as well.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I just assume that they've learned not to tell him anything because he can't be trusted with any information. He's such a goob I love him.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I've been hoping for a Young Avengers thing for a while now. Don't need to have the comic Young Avengers, though Kate, America, Teddy and Billy are all characters i really, really want to see, I could accept them throwing Peter and Shuri in that group. Though we know the Hawkeye series is going to give us Kate, and I'd not be surprised if Wiccan and Speed exist because of WandaVision.

And Cassie.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Duh, of course I can't believe I forgot about her. You think they'd go Stinger or Stature for her?

I hope they go for Stature, it makes more sense with Scott's story and it's just a better name.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

They can still give her the Wasp powers though. I always liked when Cassie has both Ant-Man and Wasp powers, and that fits better with the movies as well.

It would be a nice way to integrate Hope into it more, which I'm in favor of even in the face of Evangeline Lily's recent... bad takes on the times in which we live.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I am still waiting on an independent assessment from a hematologist, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

howe_sam posted:

I wouldn't say Renner is a misfire on the level of Finn Jones, but I also wouldn't have minded if they'd cast somebody who was a little less of a potato. That being said, I don't think even Marvel's steroids could make Tudyk a believable fighty guy.

I was going to say that Renner is the younger choice too but he's actually a few month older than Tudyk somehow. Alan Tudyk is an absolute goddamn delight and I've never heard anyone say anything bad about him as a person. I don't know who I'd want him to play in the MCU though.