Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

Same. And it has a better chance of happening than anything at DC other that Wonder Woman and Aquaman.

Aren't they having some kind of problem with WW? The fact that it has been filming and still doesn't actually have a release date isn't a good sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So this was the movie he was trying to promote when he got fired.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

God, the after credits scene in Into the Spider-Verse was so amazing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While the end credits scene gets a lot of deserved hype I also really liked how during the credits you actually get a full version of the Spider-Man Christmas song, actually sung by Chris Pine.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't really follow Spider-Man comics, so is it just a movie thing that Gwen is called Spider-Woman? Because I thought they went with a different hero name for her.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Spider-Man Noir's obsession with the Rubick's Cube was a lot of fun. Especially the bit in the credits where it showed him becoming even more famous showing it off in his black and white world.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bruceski posted:

That's really the hurdle with making sequels. The first MIB hit things so well that any followers are going to be trying to both copy that and have their own voice at the same time. I'll probably still watch it, MIB1 was a family favorite as kids (such that when Mom sent us off to the video store for a rental she'd have to specify not that or we'd come back with it again), and 3 had some great bits.

Also I'm not sure anyone can ever come close to Tommy Lee Jones's ability to do deadpan humor. It's easier to try and play Will Smith.

IIRC the issue with the MiB movies and sequels was that the studio constantly wanted both Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones back and both of them are extremely gun shy when it comes to sequels.

Gaz-L posted:

Wonder Woman and Spider-Verse make me retroactively angry at the first two modern Star Trek movies for making Pine seem so bad at comedy. Granted, it was Orci/Kurtzman scripted comedy which should say all you need to know.

Pine was a lot of fun as a bad guy on the last season of Angie Tribeca. He played a Hannibal Lecter-esque serial killer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Soonmot posted:

So, for whatever reason, I watched part of Justice League the other night and... Aquaman just straight up ignores most of what happens there, yeah?

There's the one line mentioning that the events of the movie happened but yeah it doesn't quite fit in. Like he doesn't wear the armor from Justice League, his backstory with his mother is completely different and weirdly enough his eyes are a completely different color in both movies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Isn't Warren Beatty still squatting on the rights?

Yeah, Tribune tried to say he couldn't have them any more because he wasn't doing anything with them. So in return Beatty produced a special where he got interviewed in character by Leonard Maltin.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think that any future adaptation of Dick Tracy should lean hard in the same direction as the movie, but I feel like, the way things are adapted today, they'd approach it in a way that uses words like "grounded" and "gritty".

Part of the fun is that it's in this garish cartoon world but Al Pacino still gives Paul Sorvino THE BATH.

:flashfact: Dick Tracy originally started as a fairly realistic cop comic. It's just been around long enough that it's been through a lot of genre changes, like how for a while it had a sci-fi angle and in fact Dick Tracy's granddaughter is half alien.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

asecondduck posted:

The thing that bothers me the most was that they went "okay, we need a dark, creepy mirror of Tobey McGuire, who can we cast.... I know! Topher Grace!" when Jake Gyllenhaal was the obvious choice.

I swear they were flipping through their "G" headshots book, struggling to remember how to spell Gyllenhaal, got to Grace, and decided that was good enough.

Wasn't there a whole thing back in the day that Gyllenhaal was maybe going to actually take over for Tobey because he hosed up his back something fierce filming Seabiscuit?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah! Or the ability to make miniature duplicates of himself with his hands!!!

HEY, do not reveal Superman's new power!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

They should make a movie with Will Smith, Vin Diesel, and Tom Cruise just to see if it is even possible to write a script that meets all threes iron clad contract demands to be "on brand" at all times.

Also the Rock has been becoming notorious for demanding ending rewrites.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Retro Futurist posted:

Thank god they went back to all wearing the same suit, too. Clearly nobody wanted the cool, comics accurate ones they wore for all of 5 seconds in apocalypse

Those are comic accurate, the black with a big chunky X are the designs from around Morrison's run on New X-Men and they pretty much all wore the same thing. IIRC the explanation is that they weren't there to be seen as superheroes but as representatives of a mutant organization.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The fact that there are still non-Marvel X movies pending kills any prospects of an Avengers appearance. Like maybe the very end stinger (which has been used for a joke before) will be Ryan Reynolds showing up and making a comment about Deadpool not being around for what happened.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Those are quantum bands, I think. The nega bands were some weird thing where he was trapped in the Negative Zone but he could use them to trade places with Rick Jones for a short time or something.

The nega bands were from the time period where they were just constantly throwing writers at Captain Marvel who all had different ideas so his powers were changing every couple of issues.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bessantj posted:

The dude doing the voice of Tombstone (is it?) is that the same man who plays Tobias Whale in Black Lightning?

Yeah, that's Krondon.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oh hey they’re doing that exact thing I thought they’d do in spite of RT’s change.

Honestly, just do away with the user-generated poo poo and only highlight real critic reviews. User polls just flat-out no longer work in 2019.

I'm not sure what they hope to accomplish here. It will be pretty clear that the reviews are completely inaccurate seeing as the people doing it earlier were just constantly straight up lying about content. Also does the general public actually even check something like RT user reviews? Nobody I know ever talks about looking at that poo poo as part of their movie choosing experience. Most people I know just go off of promotional material (commercials and trailers.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JordanKai posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUWFU3Gha50

New trailer for Shazam. I think it looks pretty good! Tentatively excited for this one.

I'm confused, I thought Mark Strong was supposed to be playing Sivana but that looked more like he has the same powers as Shazam.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I liked how once you got to the twist that the Skrulls are not bad guys they stuck with it and never had them turn out to be evil also.

One thing I thought was kind of weird was having Clark Gregg in it seeing as his character was barely in the movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

This just made me realize that Clark Gregg is kinda jacked. Because I was like "drat he's filling out that suit"

He has a blackbelt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It would be kind of fun if when Carol is introduced to the Avengers she reveals that she's actually been coming back to Earth a bunch of times and every single major event had her working in the background taking care of stuff they didn't think of.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just saw an article saying that Ezra Miller is taking a stab at writing his Flash movie and that Grant Morrison is helping. Apparently the idea is that if WB rejects this version of the script he's going to finally quit the project.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

David D. Davidson posted:

I'd say that one is more he wrote himself into a corner and refused to admit it.
But I'd say he's less of a hack but is hired because he always finishes his scripts by the deadline whether the script's good or not. You don't work with directors like Christopher Nolan or Guillermo del Toro if they don't see something in your script.

I have to wonder how much of his script actually made it into Nolan's movies. With the exception of Insomnia everything else Christopher Nolan has done has been written by himself or cowritten with his brother.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

Tobey was 27 in 2002

At least in his Spider-Man movie they pretty quickly had him graduate from high school.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jamesman posted:

The Snap didn't actually kill half the universe, but split the universe in two. Everyone who got dusted is actually living in a parallel universe where they saw the other half of the universe get snapped out of existence.

Peter's haunted by the memory of Tony turning to ash in his arms. "Kid... I don't feel so good..."

Kind of like what happened in Earth/Universe X where all the dead heroes and villains are fighting it out in the afterlife still believing they're alive and anyone who isn't there (so still alive) they think are dead.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Davros1 posted:

As long as they use the Spirit of Vengeance design. I loved the charred skull look.

Yeah, I liked the dirty look they were going for with that movie. Especially the part where they made it look like his flames were actually burning the clothes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Neither Cinemark's website or app is loading for me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Open Marriage Night posted:

It’s for AMC, listed as Avengers Endgame Opening Night Fan Event. I still keep my Infinity War coin in my pocket as a good luck charm.

I think it's just a thing that Marvel is sending out as I got an email from Cinemark also saying that you get a coin for going to the first showing on Thursday.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I found weird about Shazam is for how often the effects looked good for some reason a lot of the Billy flying effects looked kind of cheap. Mainly when they were doing the full CG character stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently Suicide Squad 2 is no longer called that and the new name is... "The Suicide Squad"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hellboy is flopping. It is projected to make less than the first movie for an opening weekend.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

He is.
But the film could have also done with using the line
It was an Avenger's World. The first of many.

Not sure if I had to spoil that one, but I'll respect other peoples right to be preserved.

It definitely seems like a line they could have busted out during the bit where everyone shows up at the final battle.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyone else have an usher come in after the end to say there was no credits scene? Apparently this is a common thing because a lot of chains aren't leaving enough time to clean the theater between showings unless people leave right away.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arist posted:

They didn't, but maybe they should have because they didn't let us into the theater until ten minutes before the previews started in my theater.

They were definitely cutting it close at the theater I went to as well. We didn't get let in until 20 minutes before showtime, which is not the norm.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The showing I was at was mostly quiet but when Cap picked up the hammer the entire theater erupted in cheers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I love the MCU films, but apart from likely Gamora, there's no way they deal with any of the ramifications.

There's supposed to be something going on with Spider-Man as there's reportedly going to be Endgame spoilers in the next trailer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bruceski posted:

Did they specify Endgame spoilers, or just that the trailer will have spoilers? If the latter, since they have Mysterio I bet most of us can guess what it would be.

Specifically Endgame. Which might not be much more than just referencing the time skip.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Endgame commercials are getting more spoilery. Saw one last night that used more clips from the final battle and just straight up showed the introduction to smart Hulk.

Also prelim weekend box office has it at $148m which would barely be under The Force Awakens for second week BO. Although with a higher first week this means it made more money faster than TFA. Endgame is still completely dominating as number 2 and 3 are both around $10m each.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair that appears to be Tony's superpower.

"This is impossible." "COMPUTER." "This is now possible."

He did invent the computer that solved the problem. So by the transitive property he solved the problem.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Open Marriage Night posted:

I hope he kept that costume and starts wearing it at talk shows and the movie premiere.

Pull a Chris Pratt and steal the costume after filming is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Didn't see this mentioned yet but starting today showings of Endgame will have the new Spider-Man trailer attached to the end of the film. Which just makes me wonder why they didn't do this to begin with.