Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Michael Bay is directing, I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Soonmot posted:

I've been rewatching the marvel movies and it's interesting to note that there are no midcredit scenes until Thor 2, which had both mid she post. (hulk had one, but no post credit)

I thought Avengers was the first to do a mid-credits scene, with the Thanos tease

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Sgt. Politeness posted:

The guy saying "coward" on TV is Thomas Wayne

That actor also played a politician in Dark Knight Rises, and I didn't realize he's playing Thomas in this, so for a brief moment when I saw him I thought they were tying this on to the Nolan movies somehow.

Eh! Frank fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 3, 2019

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

It did well but I have never met a single person who liked it. It feels like it succeeded on inertia.

I'll admit, it was somewhat of a guilty pleasure for me, though I've only seen it once. I found it more enjoyable that BvS:DoJ at least.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

They also fired James Gunn over tweets he made a decade ago.

Yeah, too bad Gunn totally isn't coming back for GotG3 or anything

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Darth Nat posted:

They did give Bane a sweet coat there for a while.

Also the Lego Batman Bane big-fig, which I love

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

I really hope it's a smaller, side role and they have more announcements to come. I just can't believe they're going with Catwoman and Penguin
There's Paul Dano playing the Riddler too. Plus imdb says John Turturro will be playing Carmine Falcone apparently, I don't remember hearing that casting announcement.

I have a feeling it's not going to quite be a Superhero VS Supervillain movie. Maybe something more like showing Batman building himself up as a vigilante hero in Gotham.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Main villains will be Penguin and Riddler (or maybe just one? who knows)
This makes me wonder if they're drawing inspiration from Gotham. That'd explain having a good-looking Penguin.

I'd honestly be fine with them cribbing from Gotham, I felt that show nailed the Batman aesthetic/tone. Plus they had the perfect Riddler.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Or even pie in the sky hopes and dreams post credit scene where someone from the MCU shows up and talks to them.
I think it's more likely they have Xavier show up post-credits and say something like "I want to talk to you about my school for gifted youngsters..."

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

kaesarsosei posted:

Honestly, aside from Ryan Reynolds - who else is there from the Fox movies that you would want to keep after how their X-Men poo poo ended up?

Stewart is 100% too old beyond a one-offcameo. Same for McKellan. We know Jackman is done. Lawrence was phoning it in for a decade, and also hates the role.

Fassbender for sure I would love to see kept on, but I get the impression he hates the role too. I like James McAvoy although I don't think he is as strongly associated with the character as Stewart was, and could be recast.

Ironically, the only other one I would like to see back is James Marsden as Cyclops, who was tragically wasted in the original movies.

I'd be fine if they kept Nicholas Holt as Beast

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I'm still holding out hope an Avengers movie will start with them fighting the Wrecking Crew to show they're dealing with low level supervillains on their off time.

That's pretty much how Civil War started, with them going after Crossbones

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

Imagine being in the timeline where the MCU starts ripping off the CW

Now I'm imagining, years from now, the inevitable DC vs Marvel movie gets made, but instead of using the DCCU, they go with the CW Arrowverse

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Phylodox posted:

It's all one multiverse now since Crisis anyways.
I need to actually watch the shows one of these days, they sound exactly like the sort of comic book nonsense I love. But I tried 'Arrow' and the first season is such a joyless slog, and I feel compelled to watch ALL of the series so I can understand any crossover stuff.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

edit: Cheetah
Can I be the first to make a Cats joke?

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

For a rated R action movie
I'd somehow completely missed that BoP is rated R, that actually boosts my interest in it somewhat

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I'm still operating under the hope that Deadpool and New Mutants will somehow stay canon in the MCU without a reboot.
Not sure how though.
Since we haven't seen New Mutants yet, it's possible there's way they can tie it into the current MCU universe. As for Deadpool, since the second one had time-traveling reality-warping stuff (plus, you know, extensive 4th-wall breaking), it shouldn't be a problem to work it in either.

edit: I'm personally hoping they keep Tom Hardy on as Venom, that movie was stupid, and yet still plenty entertaining, and that's mostly due to Hardy
edit2: Though I guess that's Sony and not Fox. Still, my point stands.

Eh! Frank fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 16, 2020

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

Why did they get rid of that amazing red wig from the first Venom movie???
Seriously, I'd heard comments and jokes about the wig so many times before actually seeing the movie, and still I was completely unprepared to see the actual thing in all its majesty.

Also, I'd totally forgotten that Andy Serkis is going to be directing Venom 2

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Not sure how I feel about these Bat-vehicle designs, I think I need to wait to see them in motion in the trailer before I can judge. I thought Dark Knight's Bat-pod looked stupid at first until I saw it in the trailer.

I'm optimistic about the movie, though. Matt Reeves is a pretty decent director, and I love the cast.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Nanigans posted:

I'm sure the executives at WB will get nervous that the audience doesn't understand without dialogue to explain stuff, but that's my hope.
Remember that WB also produced Mad Max Fury Road, which has a protagonist that hardly speaks, and that movie doesn't explain every little thing. I'm more concerned about the DC executives though.

Nanigans posted:

Clayface would be real good for a detective story as he can look like whomever. And if they still wanted to keep the big blockbuster poo poo in, he can grow huge and make weapons and stuff for a big fight scene.
Clayface has been one of my favorites since the Animated Series, and this is pretty much my dream of how he'd be used in a movie.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

He probably has an actual skull face under that helmet.

I somehow feel that Skull are not the enemy

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Arist posted:

...hold on, I have a script to write

SnowStarpiercer

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

I first watched Apocalypse stoned af and loved it while at the same time recognizing it as being an incredibly stupid movie.

Dark Phoenix was pretty boring but had a couple of decent action scenes

The X-Men movies are a land of contrasts, and I love them for it

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Veotax posted:

Also, weirdly X-Men 2 uses the american title of X2 instead of the UK name of X-Men 2

X2 is the cooler title anyways

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

bessantj posted:

Doesn't seem to have Incredible Hulk either.

Unless I'm mistaken, Universal holds the distribution rights to any solo Hulk movie, so that might explain why Disney/Marvel don't have it on their platform

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Karloff posted:

She's not always portrayed as green (animated series, Batman & Robin).
Also, Gotham. All three versions of her.

It was hilarious how obvious it was the writers on that show had no idea what to do with that character, Gotham was amazing.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

SlimGoodbody posted:

I think my ideal Doom voice would he something like... Peter Stormare

Now I'm imaging Doom sounding like Sir Slicer from Adventure Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zP8rwfKxaw&t=239s
"Later. Losers."

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor Strange has the best music

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

theironjef posted:

Dr. Strange: whatever they were talking about in the surgery scenes

Strange also had Pink Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive during the crash scene

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

I got mixed up on what year "The Captain" came out but maybe in the MCU ole' Kasey Chambers hit the scene a few years early.

That's a great song

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

It's one of my favorite Sopranos end-credit beats.
I've never actually watched The Sopranos. I first heard the song from some promotional sampler CD my dad got in the early 2000s called "Songs in the Key of She" with a bunch of songs from women performers. It also had Enya, k.d. lang, and a few others. And Bette Midler, but that was the only song on there I didn't like.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I'm probably the only one looking forward to new mutants and black widow.

I'm looking forward to both as well

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

VanSandman posted:

I think I'm the only person who likes Thor 2 more than 1.

After watching Thor 2 the first time I thought it was "even better than the first", but in retrospect I think that was merely due to the climactic action scene with the portals, because now I remember next to nothing else about the movie.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

I wouldn't say it did nothing for me, but I agree the ending of GotG2 wasn't as impactful for me as it should have been. Probably because I'd been spoiled on it ahead of time so it lost the surprise factor, but considering my own dad had passed away just a couple years earlier, a "losing a beloved father figure" plot-point should have left me in tears.

Didn't help that I thought the movie had weird pacing issues. The climactic battle feels like it lasts half the movie. I'll give it credit, it's not boring, but it feels like it meanders a bit.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

We all think Hemsworth now as a no brainer two, but back then no one had heard of this guy and though "who the hell is Thor?".

Back then he was known as Kirk's dad in the opening scene of the Star Trek reboot

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Iron Fist season 2 isn't like, something I'd go to bat for, the villain motivations are just nonsense, but you can tell they made a genuine effort at improving the show in terms of writing, characterization, fight choreography, general visuals, etc. so I feel kinda bad for them they didn't get to do a season 3.

IF 2 is at least more fun than the first season, even if it's still pretty dumb/silly:

(final scene spoilers, linked because the thumbnail is a spoiler too)
https://youtu.be/Tl1lv0HwAzQ

Plus Ward Meachum continues to be the best character. The actor that plays him, Tom Pelphrey, is also in the latest season of Ozark, and he is absolutely amazing in it.

STAC Goat posted:

I actually still having seen DD S3, Punisher S2, and IF S2.
DD S3 is more even than S2, I'd say it's almost as good as S1 though there's differing opinions. I do love how they portrayed Bullseye's abilities though.
Punisher S2 is a step down from the first, mainly because they cram two completely unrelated plot-lines together, and the Jigsaw one is lacking at times.

I've never watched Jessica Jones S3 though. Season 2 was a whole load of nothing, I hated it the more I thought about it (especially compared to the first season), possibly as bad/worse than IF S1 or Defenders. I just could not work up the motivation to watch S3.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

whatever the Marvel version of Jonah Hex is
So either Thanos or Cable

:haw:

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I am 1000% expecting them to make Blade rated PG at the last minute.

Why? None of the Marvel movies have been PG yet (unless you count the animated Spiderverse)

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

(The same Age of Ultron argument, all over again.)

The last time this argument about Age of Ultron and Widows line about not being able to have kids came up, I specifically watched the scene where the line is used to see if it was as bad as people say.

And while they could have phrased it better, it's not Widow saying "women who can't have kids = monsters."

If you watch the scene and bear in mind the context for the scene (both Hulk and Widow have been exposed to their greatest fear. Banner is having what amounts to an anxiety attack and wants to justify running away from the world, Widow is trying to maintain a connection with him, Banner then tries to justify why they can never work together. Etc...)

The line is part of a larger, more complicated story beat. It is just badly done as opposed to being an awful character development.

I agree with this, but still if there's so many people misunderstanding the message of a conversation in a movie then that scene has some very bad writing.

Although plenty of people still misunderstand how time travel works in Endgame despite the movie saying repeatedly "You can't actually change the past" that I'm thinking a large number of viewers just sleep during the talky bits of these movies.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Where are y'all getting the "three romances" thing from? The only on-screen potential romance for her was Bruce, unless you're the type that thinks a woman being friendly towards a man automatically means she's interested in him. She was only ever shown as being friends/team-mates with Hawkeye and Cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Monaghan posted:

I'm the opposite in that I found Jusice league to be bad but at least tolerable, but I thought BVS was way worse and pretty much confirmed to me that Snyder just does not understand what makes superheroes and the dc characters in particular work.

I liked Justice League better as well, both were pretty lovely movies but at least Justice League was an entertaining mess, BvS was plain boring outside of like two or three scenes, and I felt embarrassed for Holly Hunter being in that movie.

I'm curious about the new cut, but not curious enough to sign up for HBO Max.