Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I hope in the movie every time she clenches her fists, lens flares shoot out.

I am unreasonably excited for this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Trailer isn't out yet man give it a few hours. We'll get there.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Trailer 2. Serious Binary-looking action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LHxvxdRnYc

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 4, 2018

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I guess they're not going to use either her origonal or updated origin, looks like she somehow gets kidnapped by the Kree and turned into one on purpose rather than it being an accident

The way I read that trailer is that it was an accident, the Kree just told her they made her a Kree to make her indebted and fight for them in the war because they recognized how powerful she could be. But maybe I'm extrapolating a lot, I don't see why you keep showing that post-airplane crash explosion thing if that isn't what gave her powers.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Plastik posted:

I'd be much more willing to believe that it's because she's never directed an action movie before and that's a situation that both would be extremely intimidating to a lot of directors and also has historically worked out poorly.

That, plus she seems to have walked in to an interview with them when she finds the movies horrible, with bad music, and the first thing she asked was if she could change the special effects after like 80 massively successful movies.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Aquaman was ludicrous, in the best way. I thoroughly enjoyed it, even if it really isn't a good movie. Momoa was fun.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

Movie Miles feels like he's 15 to me. I have nothing to back this up other than that's just how it seemed. Like it felt like he was a freshman in high school.

I mean, it may feel like that but they explicitly say he was in middle school. If you're in middle school in the US you aren't 15 unless you're a dummy who's been held back, which he isn't since he tested into that really good school. He's likely 13-14 years old in the movie.

Edit: Am I missing something here? They straight up said he's in middle school, that's the context for his age. He's max 14, potentially a little younger. He's not 15-16.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 23, 2018

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

The most ludicrous, and thus my favorite part, of Aquaman is how [ending apolers]: Aquaman killed lord knows how many Atlantans, crab people and Mera’s people in that last battle and everyone’s like “My King!!!”

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Arthur talks to various people in different languages throughout the film. I think he speaks at least Italian, Russian, and French. This kind of serves to show he isn't as dumb as he lets on, but I just now realized how well this ties into the theme of his real strength being an ability and willingness to communicate, and wonder if him speaking all these languages isn't in fact a low key demonstration of his superpower.

There's lots of places where he shows he isn't as dumb as he lets on. He makes the joke about not getting the message ("something something trident") after Mera destroys the cylinder with the riddle for the location of the trident and then immediately repeats one of the lines in full. He's not stupid, just likes to play it.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Why are people acting like those opinions were bad and weird? I think it was perfectly reasonable to think both Venom and Aquaman would bomb before they came out.

And Venom is a pretty bad movie that should have bombed, how it succeeded is still a mystery to me.

Edit: "Bomb" for Aquaman is a relative term. It's a major DC universe movie, even their bombs still make decent money.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Koalas March posted:

I love All The Stars but honestly I wish they would've nominated Pray For Me. That was one of my favorite songs of the summer and it got a lot of radio play as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQbjS0_ZfJ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR7Ev14vUh8

Pray for Me is definitely better, despite All of the Stars being bigger. Plus when they enter that gambling den to it in the movie is sick.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Sgt. Politeness posted:

When I used to go see lovely horror movies in the theater I specifically went to a "more vocal" theater because I liked the audience feedback, it becomes a part of the show.

I saw Get Out in a theater like this and it was honestly the best theater going experience I've had in years.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Edit: Nvm totally misunderstood. Long work day.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Jamesman posted:

I'm pretty sure nobody gives a poo poo about Jennifer Lawrence anymore, or her performance as Mystique.

Unfortunately for her, this is the truth.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Svensken posted:

So how likely is it that the Avengers: Endgame post-credits scene teases Doom/The FF or the X-Men? The setup with a population revived via Soul Stone shenanigans is right there

Hell, Scarlet Witch even sets a precedent for getting powers from a Stone

This doesn’t make any sense. They literally just bought Fox, probably don’t even have finalized plans for what they want to do yet. Let alone have those plans in place in time to get it filmed for this movie.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

There's all kinds of poo poo like that out there. Some people claiming that Disney is refusing to refund Captain Marvel tickets when it wouldn't even be Disney that is responsible for doing that, and so on. It's very very very stupid.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Movie was terrific, but I was already a done deal given I grew up on Air Force bases with pilots, wanted to be one badly when I was a kid and Captain Marvel was already probably my favorite marvel character.

Brie nailed the character, her chemistry with Fury was amazing. The de-aging was stunning. Just a really enjoyable movie.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

She didn't shout "SHAZAM" not even once

The big chud thing I'm seeing now is "I can't wait until the real Captain Marvel comes out soon - it looks so good!"

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Cinemascore for Captain Marvel was A right? That tells you more than the IMDB or Rottentomatoes audience scores.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

More Nebula than I expected. They aren't going to do what I'm potentially thinking they might do, are they?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If you’re talking about Nebula taking the gauntlet I doubt it. Infinity Gauntlet played the story in such a different and cosmic scoped way that I just don’t think there’s any merit to playing that particular moment. In the books, it was Thanos becoming vulnerable by his own arrogance after facing the forces and concepts of creation and thinking himself bigger than the gauntlet.. MCU’s Thanos did what he set out to do and, like he said, is now just chilling somewhere not doing anything (if the very first teaser is any indication).

That's what I was thinking and you make a good point. I was just a little surprised at seeing her with the rest of the group in the white space suit thing.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

It would be kind of fun if when Carol is introduced to the Avengers she reveals that she's actually been coming back to Earth a bunch of times and every single major event had her working in the background taking care of stuff they didn't think of.

Fury paged her every time but the events were always resolved when she was in transit, pissing her off. So she didn't come for a while on this one. Whoops!

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 14, 2019

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Phylodox posted:

I mean...there’s a good reason for that...

For some reason I thought there were dusted people on there at first. Realized after looking again.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Well I meant in the possible time travel story that's been tossed around.

But yea we know nothing about the story or even if Thanos is the primary villian.

This is me being a little bit of a pessimist but Thanos was such a central force in Infinity War, and was such a big part in making that movie what it was, I'm concerned a little bit about a vacuum if he takes a step back in this movie and it focuses more on the time travel stuff.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

SlimGoodbody posted:

I want the odd couple buddy hero movie of Sam and Bucky without Steve to reign them in. Give me Marvel Lethal Weapon

You're getting this, its just going to be on Disney+.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Finally finally got the chance to see Captain Marvel. Love the character. Thought the movie itself was just ok. I'm excited to see a lot more of her.

When a Skrull roared and she roared back at it, I fell in love. She could've done anything at that point, I was sold.

So I'm not the most unbiased of opinions since I was already sold going in being an Air Force brat that just wanted to be a pilot as a kid but it was this plus every other little character moment in that movie that made me completely fall in love. It was honestly one of my favorite movies in the MCU for all the different moments like that that really emphasized the quirkiness yet badassness of Carol. I thought it worked extremely well.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Dreqqus posted:

This may be too generous a reading, especially considering revelations about Whedon after that film came out, but I never interpreted that sequence as 'I can't have kids therefore I am a monster ' but as 'I willingly gave up the ability to have children for the explicit purpose becoming a more efficient killer therefore I am a monster'. Like I said potentially too generous and a fine line .

This is not too generous, its the actual point of the line that people ignore in order to get a cheap hit in on the movie.

The movie is bad enough as it is, you don’t have to willfully ignore context to take shots.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Samuringa posted:

And I can't remember any of those scenes. The character didn't make an impression on me, I'm sorry :shrug:

Yowza

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Are the Eternals the ones that people confused with Greek gods? I could see them using that as a baseline starter for the movie - they've been here all along, etc. (Yes I know in Marvel the Greek gods also exist.)

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I really like Vision and I've always been disappointed in the movie utilization of him, especially his phasing in fights.

I hope the TV show has a good budget and they can actually use him up to his full potential.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

X-O posted:

It's a shame the thing seems to be looking bad overseas in the box office.

Is there any theories as to why this is? Doesn't make much sense - seems right in the international box office wheelhouse.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Cythereal posted:

They've also said the main character will be an openly gay guy. Dunno if that would be in character for Hercules or not.

No they said the actor playing the main character will be openly gay.

Isn't the story itself about the love between the two main characters, one of which is male and the other is female?

Edit: Unless they didn't mean one of the two main leads? I dunno.

Double edit: There's new rumors floating around in the past two days I didn't see so now I don't know what is happening, so disregard.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 5, 2019

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I’m not even sure what to say. Movie was incredible. It was the most comic book comic book movie I’ve ever seen.

I wish I could be a fly on Feige’s wall and get an idea of what they’re thinking next.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

site posted:

Which got the bigger cheer in your audiences, worthy Steve or Spider-Man walking through the portal? The theater erupted during both for mine

Theater went nutso for both but the biggest cheer was for the latter.

I can't believe this movie is over. I can't believe it was 3 hours, it felt like 5 minutes. I can't believe that this whole 22 film phase is over. So crazy.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

howe_sam posted:

I think the implication is just that Gamora hosed off to parts unknown after the battle

I assumed she was dusted with everyone else that came with Thanos in Tony's snap. Why would she be any different?

Carlosologist posted:

I lost my poo poo at the elevator scene. Cap had an outstanding showing in this movie, that moment between him and Thor arguing over who uses Mjolnir and Stormbreaker was funny as hell.

The moment where he calls the hammer was incredible too

This was pretty much Cap's movie tbh. I'd say the big three were him, Tony and Clint (with a side of Ant-Man).
For the most part though I felt like this movie handled the massive MCU cast really well, it got almost everyone in and gave them all at least one great moment. For example, I loooooooooooooved the Scarlet Witch vs. Thanos scene, she was whooping that rear end. Glad to see them let her off the leash and really be powerful. Sad that Vision is dead for good though.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 26, 2019

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

teagone posted:

She fought alongside everyone against Thanos in the assemble battle, and had already been plotting to betray Thanos just like before. Why would Tony snap her lol.

Why would Tony think not to snap her at this point? He's never seen her, didn't see her in the fight, and had roughly a second to snap his fingers with what he wanted to do. Do you think he spent that time excluding 2014 Gamora that was brought to the future? I think you're probably right in that they'll keep this Gamora alive for Gotg 3 but it seems silly to me now that I think about it.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

teagone posted:

Also, Quill was running a search to try and find alternate reality Gamora before everyone showed up on the ship.

Yes, I saw this. But I also saw it say that it could not find her.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

I think in the moment it's definitely the adrenaline coursing through Tony that allows him to ignore the pain of the gauntlet. He probably knew what was gonna happen when he did it too

My biggest question: where the hell is Vision?!

What do you mean? He's dead . . .

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Starsnostars posted:

I don't know if it was wishful thinking on my part so did anyone else see in the shot where Thanos and his army were turning to dust someone in the background embracing someone else who had been wounded/killed as they faded away which I'm thinking was Corvus and Proxima?

I don't remember seeing that but it seems unlikely to me since Okoye speared Corvus through pretty thoroughly and killed his rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

I guess I was expecting some resolution on that end, like even Wanda saying something at the end would have been a nice little breadcrumb. But Vision doesn't get mentioned at all in the movie, which is a little bizarre after they tried to figure out a way to get him to live without the Mind Stone

He's obliquely mentioned when Wanda goes 1v1 with Thanos. She says to him something about how much he's taken from her. That's when he says I don't even know you, and she says "you will" or something like that. But yeah, that's the only time he's even remotely referenced, which is kind of sad. I feel like Vision was underutilized in the MCU.