Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rhyno posted:

The Trek stuff is odd yeah but I think IDW does have the rights to reprint the Marvel books, it's just that nobody wants those.
True enough on the Marvel stuff from the early 1980s, but later the rights went to DC where Peter David had a pretty long well-liked run, and there was a Chris Claremont/Adam Hughes OGN that I don't know was any good but it's Chris Claremont and Adam Hughes, so you'd think they'd try to squeeze some money out of that.

Looking further I guess IDW did reprint a bunch of circa 2000 Wildstorm Trek stuff and started (in 2011) to reprint some of the 1980s/1990s DC stuff, but stopped after about one trade of the earlier stuff. Maybe there just isn't any market for it when you factor in costs or something?

It's also possible (likely) that I am remembering reprint woe stories from previous decades before people took "forever in print" more seriously and corporations became more consolidated and probably better at hashing out rights. Though given the fact that all of the extant Miracleman stuff is currently on Comixology available for sale makes me think the hold-up is less "wait, who owns this?" and probably more to do with whatever agreements they had with Gaiman to produce new material. There are a lot of moving parts in the Gaiman/Marvel agreement, going back all the way to 2001:

quote:

New York, NY - Neil Gaiman and Marvel Comics have reached an agreement to publish a new project by the New York Times best-selling author. In addition, Marvel will donate all profits from the project to Neil Gaiman's Marvels and Miracles, LLC. Gaiman created the Marvels and Miracles, LLC. to clarify the legal rights to the critically acclaimed Miracleman property.
This sounds like the sort of agreement made by Bill Jemas in 2001 that I can only imagine Disney having some serious quibbles about, whether it's what legal costs to cover and which to make Gaiman pay, what "all profits" means, whether reprints or digital sales or spin-off series count, etc. etc. etc. There's also the fact that I think all parties sort of assumed that both NEIL GAIMAN'S ANGELA and NEIL GAIMAN'S CONCLUSION TO ALAN MOORE'S LEGENDARY MIRACLEMAN would be licenses to print money even though neither set the world on fire could lead to even more money clashing. I have zero inside information but if I were Marvel and I penned a deal with Gaiman imagining that his new work would sell hundreds of thousands of copies and instead the direct sales orders went:

MM by G&B #1 - 27,000
MM by G&B #2 - 22,143
MM by G&B #3 - 19,375
MM by G&B #4 - 16,825
MM by G&B #5 - 15,427
MM by G&B #6 - 14,200

I could see you wanting to renegotiate. I also think that they mismanaged a ton of stuff with the rollout (both because of legal snags and just general bad decisions) and trying to use reprints of comics printed in the 1990s that were pirated to hell and back, even by people who generally don't pirate things because you legally could not purchase them outside of 'collector's items' for 10+ years, as a bellwether for how new material will do is short-sighted, but it's clear the whole thing was a mess and underperformed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh yeah PADs trek runnis quite good but I was referring to the post DC Trek stuff that Marvel published for roughly 18 months or so.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Oh yeah PADs trek runnis quite good but I was referring to the post DC Trek stuff that Marvel published for roughly 18 months or so.
Oh, I thought you meant the early 1980s Marvel Star Trek. Star Trek licensing is quite the journey:

1967-1979: Gold Key/Whitman
1980-1984: Marvel
1984-1996: DC
1993-1996: Malibu gets the rights to Deep Space Nine and is purchased by Marvel in late 1994
1996: Marvel gets the rights to all Star Trek franchises
1999-2002: Wildstorm gets the rights and is pretty much immediately sold to DC, who do very little with the license
2004: TokyoPop gets the license to do Star Trek manga, slowly trickles some out over the next five years
2006: IDW gets the license, which it still has

It's remarkably stable at the start/recently, but there was a lot of bouncing around in between, I'm hard pressed to think of as big a property that has switched hands so many times. Star Wars has basically just been Marvel --> Dark Horse --> Marvel, Transformers was Marvel --> nothing --> Pat Lee Scams --> IDW, GI Joe the same except for a weird super brief Dark Horse interlude in the late 1990s.

I'm sure there's some other property I'm forgetting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Micronauts?

Thunder Agents?

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Thunder Agents?

If I have this correctly...

Licensed and revived by a fan in the Eighties for two issues under his own indie imprint. When that folds, he has Archie publish the third issue he had commissioned as part of their own failed superhero revival. Also as part of that, they make an appearance in Justice Machine, an indie superhero comic running under a second different publisher, Texas Comics.

One of his friends decides T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents are public domain and publishes his own comic for five issues until he gets sued.

Then Solson publishes a single issue intended to be an ongoing, licensed from the first fan, who bought the rights from the original publisher, Tower Comics.

Then they make an unauthorized guest appearance in Dark Horse's Boris the Bear for two issues.

Then they make another unauthorized guest appearance in an issue of Apple Comics' Thunder Bunny. The fan sees it and decides to give them the license, which they do nothing with.

When that license runs out, they make a single appearance in Bob Guccione's Omni Comix, which I didn't even know was a thing before I looked this up.

Around that time, Rob Liefeld declares that he has the rights to it, but never publishes any of the comics he promises.

Then DC picks up the license, but the fan decides he doesn't like what they're going to do with it, so they publish nothing but reprints until after he dies.

Then they buy the rights and publish a couple series, after which it gets sold to IDW and they do a short run. Or possibly IDW is licensing it from DC? I'm not sure.

Servoret fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 5, 2018

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

I am reasonably sure that the licensed comics thing goes on a case by case basis.

This is correct.

Let's say you're a comic book company and you have a license to make comics based on something. You hire a creative team to make those comics as a work for hire. The creators didn't approach you and say, "We really want to make comics based on My Mother the Car!" you went and paid them to make those books. And because of that, you as the comic book company typically own those comics (contracts vary, but this is how it's going to typically be).

But now it's five years later and the license has run out. You're not so hot on it anymore, but across town another publisher is willing to pony up the cash for the license. Well, you still own those comics even if you can never print them again since you don't own the concepts. Of course, since some money is better than no money, you're not going to complain too hard when that other company comes to you and wants to license your books to go with their license for reprints. That money also covers what you need to pay the creators for the reprints based on their contracts.

Now it's not impossible for the licensor to write in the contract that they own the derivative works that you're creating, but it's not really common either. There's tons of material that winds up languishing in limbo because the license moved and the things produced from it didn't.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Edge & Christian posted:

It's remarkably stable at the start/recently, but there was a lot of bouncing around in between, I'm hard pressed to think of as big a property that has switched hands so many times.

There's a series on Netflix called "The Toys That Made Us", and one episode is about Star Trek toys and how pretty much every decision made for them was wrong.
It's a good series, btw. The He-Man one is hilarious and insane.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Didn't NOW comics briefly have Terminator and RoboCop licenses? I wonder if those ever got collected. I remember liking the art at least.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Just Terminator.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The NOW Terminator books have basically no relation to anything done with the franchise afterwards (in comics or film) but they do contain some very early Alex Ross art so they've been reprinted repeatedly.

Robocop was never with NOW, it bounced from Marvel to Dark Horse to Avatar to Dynamite to Boom. This did make me look up what licensed comics NOW had, and it was quite the roster:

3 Ninjas
Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Freejack
Fright Night
Little Monsters
Married with Children
Mr. T and the T-Force
Real Ghostbusters
Terminator
The Twilight Zone
Universal Soldier

And not a license, but a Chuck Dixon book called SUPERCOPS that I kind of need to track down now.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah thanks for the list. A lot of memories on there, don't know how I conflated RoboCop into there since it seems like NOW was the only one they DIDN'T use.

I seem to recall the Real Ghostbusters deal having some repercussions on bringing back Ecto Cooler, apparently NOW was the original license creator for it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol 3 ninjas comic

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I know I mentioned it ages back, but Married with Children used to have licensed comic. I even remember randomly picking up an issue at some fare.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

Robocop was never with NOW, it bounced from Marvel to Dark Horse to Avatar to Dynamite to Boom. This did make me look up what licensed comics NOW had, and it was quite the roster:

I remember NOW having a heavy presence on the newsstand for a while in the Eighties. Like my grocery store would have one-third Marvel, one-third DC, one-third NOW in the checkout aisles. They also had Speed Racer licensed comics, I remember those.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Just thinking about how the digital comics thread used to be more active until some random lurker was a dick in it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/TKOpresents/status/1070395586946297856?s=19

These past two years have really primed me for an Ennis comic about a communist killing a poo poo ton of Nazis.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Uhhhhh yes please

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
That is probably the only kind of Ennis book I'd get excited over.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Not even a premise that good would get me to read a Garth Ennis book.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/TKOpresents/status/1070395586946297856?s=19

These past two years have really primed me for an Ennis comic about a communist killing a poo poo ton of Nazis.

On a similar tip...Hollywood! Give me a film about the Night Witches, you cowards.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

X-O posted:

Not even a premise that good would get me to read a Garth Ennis book.

I agree.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/JessiSheron/status/1070753353230155777

Fake Edit: Because some of you are shockingly young, here's the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
IDW has published some of the DC, Marvel, and Malibu stuff in trade form.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oooh. This looks good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT8PO27F04U

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

As I said in the vidya game thread
Mother loving Lockjaw

Quite possibly playable since I'd bet everyone else in that picture is.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
That's a really big get for Nintendo.

Also blah blah late stage capitalist hellscape blah, but god drat it's nice to see the X-Men and Avengers together again.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
On retrospect i wonder if this is why suddenly the black order has miniseries even though theyre just thanos' chump squad

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You're forgetting 'movie synergy'

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

As I said in the vidya game thread
Mother loving Lockjaw

Quite possibly playable since I'd bet everyone else in that picture is.

If Lockjaw is playable this is Game of the Year 2019.

Hell, if I can field a full team of Pet Avengers, it's Game of All Time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Synthbuttrange posted:

You're forgetting 'movie synergy'

They were the chump squad there too, none except the maw were even named and they all died

Plus the novie came out in like april but the comic just started out last month

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

CapnAndy posted:

Also blah blah late stage capitalist hellscape blah, but god drat it's nice to see the X-Men and Avengers together again.
Well hell, this wasn't a problem for Avengers Alliance, but I can't be bothered to do that all over again with a game I'll probably like less.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Avengers Alliance was not a game.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
:wrong: Its PVP mode was the worst-designed game I've ever seen in my life. It should be preserved on an open platform and studied at universities worldwide.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

They were the chump squad there too, none except the maw were even named and they all died

Plus the novie came out in like april but the comic just started out last month
It's both. If they start a miniseries now, they can have a nice trade sitting on shelves when Avengers 4 and Ultimate Alliance hit.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Posting panels spree.

I found a french bd that is the closest thing to Calvin and Hobbes that I've seen out there. It's called Pico Bogue. It's not quite as imaginative as Waterson's work, but the main character is extremely reminiscent of Calvin, intentionally so. It appears like there are some English translations out there, but I'm going to post french panels because that's what I'm reading.

Mom: You look like an animal caught in the headlights
Pico: Well you've got great reflexes, so you're going to hit the breaks rather than let a little rabbit die.

Panel 1: Does it bother you that you don't work?
Panel 2: When I was leaving school today Charlie and Barnaby's moms were talking, and Charlie's mom said that if she didn't work she'd feel like a parasite.
Panel 3: And Barnaby's mom said that if she didn't work she'd feel like a fat cow.
Panel 4:
Pico: And then they asked about you
Mom: What did you say?
Panel 5: That you probably feel like a parasite on a fat cow.
Panel 6: I even said like a crazy fat cow. I sure made them laugh.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hulk #378

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

Panel 1: Does it bother you that you don't work?
Panel 2: When I was leaving school today Charlie and Barnaby's moms were talking, and Charlie's mom said that if she didn't work she'd feel like a parasite.
Panel 3: And Barnaby's mom said that if she didn't work she'd feel like a fat cow.
Panel 4:
Pico: And then they asked about you
Mom: What did you say?
Panel 5: That you probably feel like a parasite on a fat cow.
Panel 6: I even said like a crazy fat cow. I sure made them laugh.

See, this is why they have a functioning healthcare system and we don't.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm not really a manga reader, but Shonen Jump is going free online same day release, 2 bucks a month for their entire English language back catalog. I'll definitely at least check it out.

https://twitter.com/shonenjump/status/1071105976793591810

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of my favourite Bronze Age Marvel (and probably DC - I've read less Bronze Age DC) things is when they tried to sell you hard on how serious situations were or how vile the villains were by having the heroes address them as "MONSTER" or something like that. Jim Shooter's Avengers is full of it.

For instance, Hank Pym telling Ultron that he's made the Avengers immune to Ultron's "encephalo ray" device: "You thought we wouldn't be prepared for your deadliest weapon this time, MURDERER?"

Another favourite is when a villain shows up off-panel and you get a close-up shot of the hero reacting with horror and disgust going, "OH, GOD, NO! NOT YOU!" then it turns out to be the loving Grim Reaper or the Porcupine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Does anyone read comics on a Surface Pro? I see there's no Comixology Windows app anymore which is a bummer.