Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
There were no upsets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I savor the one or two times a year I can post this

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Incorrect

I was upset

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Has there ever been an ACC Championship Game that was even watchable, let alone mildly interesting?

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Another Clemson Championship

A week after giving up 500+ passing yards we gave up 8.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mahoning posted:

Has there ever been an ACC Championship Game that was even watchable, let alone mildly interesting?

2009 was pretty exciting. But even then, it was kind of tainted by the fact it was between two teams that had already played that year.

You might look at the scores of like, 2016, 2014, 2012 and think "hey, those games look pretty close, maybe they were good," but no, the losing side in those games never looked close to winning and only came close in score in garbage time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yawn. Bama/Clemson/ND/Oklahoma then?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bama
Clemson
ND
OU

Roll tide

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
gently caress OU

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
i still cant believe we won that game vs georgia lmao. im pretty sure that state is cursed

also we still have the golden hat and you cant have it back neener neener

P.S: f i r e t i m b e c k

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I hope the Irish win the natty for maximum chaos and hilarity

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
It still cracks me up that 13th data point is a thing pundits continue to say in a world where every SEC team plays at least one FCS school.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Scionix posted:

i still cant believe we won that game vs georgia lmao. im pretty sure that state is cursed

also we still have the golden hat and you cant have it back neener neener

P.S: f i r e t i m b e c k

It's ok we made our own

KIM JONG TRILL fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 2, 2018

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Mahoning posted:

It still cracks me up that 13th data point is a thing pundits continue to say in a world where every SEC team plays at least one FCS school.

Dont forget they also only play 8 conference games

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
FRESNO loving STATE

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Paul these Yankee carpetbaggers just don't get it! The SEC is so far above everyone else that those FCS games are needed so that players don't die of exhaustion. The only reason SEC teams lose to anyone outside of the conference is because we are wearing ourselves out every week playing and practicing against other SEC talent! Vanderbelt would totally win the Big 10, Big 12, or ACC titles with ease! A two lose Georgia shouldn't drop below any of the other pretenders conference champions! The Dawgs deserve a chance to blow a huge lead in the CFP final against Bama!

Smiling Mandrill fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 2, 2018

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ohio State fan here. You can get hosed if you dont have a conference championship. Go gently caress yourself, Notre Dame.

Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State. Do it.

Comedy option at #4: UCF.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If number if games played is so important, are we going to ban teams that have a game cancelled due to weather or emergency too?

Peoples fixation on CCGs is a little bizarre, given that theyre a relatively new development in 3 of the Power 5 conferences. Actually its not bizarre, its just always argued in bad faith.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 2, 2018

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

General Dog posted:

If number if games played is so important, are we going to ban teams that have a game cancelled due to weather or emergency too?

I mean it's as legit a reason as any in this dumb sport.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Also, lmao about generaldog decrying bad faith posting.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I just have a crazy feeling ESPN and the committee cant resist jacking themselves off for a month over Saban vs. Meyer.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Even though I totally understand hatred of Bama from the non fans, Jalen Hurts getting to step in relieving Tua and authoring a comeback win in the SECCG is seriously some corny sports movie type of story, and I'm so happy for the guy, no matter what happens in the playoffs.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Zwabu posted:

Even though I totally understand hatred of Bama from the non fans, Jalen Hurts getting to step in relieving Tua and authoring a comeback win in the SECCG is seriously some corny sports movie type of story, and I'm so happy for the guy, no matter what happens in the playoffs.

Yeah, that's pretty cool, I feel good for Hurts.

What I don't like is the lovely takes from sports journalists who are weaponizing this story against QBs who transfer.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

We should expand the playoff so all these Big 12 and Big 10 teams that beat each other up with 9 conference games can get some extra shots at the fraudulent, FCS-scheduling SEC.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Also, I'm failing to see scenarios that deviate from the Bama/Clemson/ND/OU selection.

Aside from pundits trying to generate controversy and ratings/clicks, I don't realistically see how there's an argument for Georgia who will have two losses and not be a conference champ, when you already have more than four when you're looking at P5 conference champs that are either undefeated or have one loss, and an undefeated Notre Dame.

So Bama and Clemson are pretty easy, and between ND, OU and OSU it's really down to the politics and draw power of Irish Nation (I have a hard time imagining they will be left out) vs. the value of conference championships, which, while important, have shown that they can be superceded by eye test stuff in recent years with Bama and OSU.

So again it really seems down to OSU vs. OU and even that, to me, seems pretty easy, boils down to a better win or worse loss comparison, I suspect OSU wins pretty easily given that you can kind of consider the Sooners to have at least partially erased the blemish of their loss to Texas by avenging themselves in the Big 12 Champ game today. I don't know how you make the argument that OSU gains ground or leapfrogs Boomer Sooner by beating Northwestern today.

I guess I'd be most shocked if ND were left out in favor of OSU and OU, and somewhat surprised if Buckeye leapfrogged Boomer Sooner although I could possibly see it happening from a politics/money standpoint if Buckeye Nation were felt to be a stronger asset to the playoff than the Sooner fanbase, even if those determinations are entirely subconscious things by committee members.

Ultimately I'm still puzzling over how a Bulldog team that was so thoroughly whipping the Tide on both sides of the ball for what seemed like two thirds of the game or so managed to let the same players contain their offense. I mean there had to be some element of choke in that, hell, Mr. Reliable missed an easy FG, but I wonder if there's a thing where playing too amped up early leads to running out of gas if you don't put the game away in that early part of the game.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Alabama-Oklahoma sounds like a fun matchup if OU brings their best game.

Also the fake punt against a punt safe on 4th and 11 is such a Dutch van der Linde move.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 2, 2018

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Paul these Yankee carpetbaggers just don't get it! The SEC is so far above everyone else that those FCS games are needed so that players don't die of exhaustion. The only reason SEC teams lose to anyone outside of the conference is because we are wearing ourselves out every week playing and practicing against other SEC talent! Vanderbelt would totally win the Big 10, Big 12, or ACC titles with ease! A two lose Georgia shouldn't drop below any of the other pretenders conference champions! The Dawgs deserve a chance to blow a huge lead in the CFP final against Bama!

I'm glad to see that there's at least one other poster on this forum who understands that the college football playoffs should just be the top four teams in the SEC each year. :bahgawd:

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
I actually wouldn't be surprised if OU ended up #3 and ND ended up #4

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...8f1&oe=5CA53664

You should have gone for the head.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

It sure stinks losing but the spread was 13.5 and literally nobody gave UGA any chance at all. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year for our defense and we went toe to toe with Bama and I feel good about that. Most folks had us at 11-2 by the end of the season, and Ill take a trip to the Sugar Bowl as a consolation prize. This is probably the worst team UGA is going to have, on paper anyway, for the next 2 years. All in all I think it was a successful season because we dunked on our rivals, got Paul Johnson to see the writing on the wall, and go to a great bowl game.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Where are the championship games being played? I assume ATL will get one?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Atlanta has one last year. This year the Cotton Bowl in Texas and the Orange Bowl in Miami get the semi finals and Levis Stadium (lol) gets the championship game

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

KKKLIP ART posted:

Atlanta has one last year. This year the Cotton Bowl in Texas and the Orange Bowl in Miami get the semi finals and Levi’s Stadium (lol) gets the championship game

Yep, championship game is in the known college football hotbed of...a lovely bay area suburb.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Yep, championship game is in the known college football hotbed of...a lovely bay area suburb.

lovely Bay Area suburb with terrible traffic and mass transportation

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Zwabu posted:

Yeah, it's a good story. I suppose we'll get word about Tua's recovery before the semi-final. I assume a healthy Tua starts? For the past three weeks, he has looked like he needed a vacation to heal up.

Wickerman posted:

I hope the Irish win the natty for maximum chaos and hilarity

Mods?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the conference championship was rigged against might Mighty Wildcat, once again banned by the league from covering receivers

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

If Meyer's 1-loss Ohio State gets bumped for the second year in a row, he should move to SoCal and lobby for the USC job. He'd be swimming in 5* players.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

LLCoolJD posted:

If Meyer's 1-loss Ohio State gets bumped for the second year in a row, he should move to SoCal and lobby for the USC job. He'd be swimming in 5* players.
They had two losses last year. Oklahoma killed them, and then they had their Inexplicable Blowout Loss Against A Vastly Inferior Opponent.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

LLCoolJD posted:

It'll get bumped, hopefully, and he'll quit OSU next year with his brain worms and then pop up in 2021 at whatever school he thinks will be competitive after having been magically cured and at least 8 of his OSU players being dead or arrested for major felonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

They had two losses last year. Oklahoma killed them, and then they had their Inexplicable Blowout Loss Against A Vastly Inferior Opponent.

Ah, my mistake. Still, the point stands that he's probably frustrated about barely missing the cut again. And the Big10 isn't getting any easier.

iwentdoodie posted:

It'll get bumped, hopefully, and he'll quit OSU next year with his brain worms and then pop up in 2021 at whatever school he thinks will be competitive after having been magically cured and at least 8 of his OSU players being dead or arrested for major felonies.

:hmmyes: This guy gets it.