Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Hello and Welcome to the pre-election season.

As we head into the final quarter of this weird-rear end Government, the state of play is showing a swing that could make the history books.

The man who is taking advantage of this national attitude is Bill Shorten. An opposition leader who has grown up from a checks notes nobody to a copy Corbyn's notes nobody.

A tired but lucky Coalition Government has been in for 2 terms and has switched Prime Minister twice, unlike Labor - to a different person each time.

That person is only Prime Minister because they did not teach math at the Queensland Police Academy.

Scott Morrison is a weather vane, his opinions go where the wind go. From opposing a Banking Royal Commission to supporting it, to opposing a National Integrity Commissions to supporting it.

Currently this government has no policy on Climate change or Energy and indeed involves a cabinet of economic vandals, coal lobbyists in waiting and failed leadership spillers.

Much like John Howard before him, this government is leaning heavily on national security and the political climate has become so toxic around the issue the end result is a super ministry, both major parties supporting the indefinite detention of maritime arrival refugees and indeed over exaggerated narratives on criminal gangs and African backgrounds. The end result is a government attempting to summon nationalistic furor upon an apathetic and lazy voting populace. Meanwhile it is consumed by factional infighting, branch level civil wars and policy shifts to attempt to win crucial by-elections unsuccessfully such as moving the Israeli Embassy to Jerusalem.

The current state of play is a minority government with supply maintained by a rag tag group of small L Liberal independents and Bob Katter; an insane individual.

How this ends is predictable. How it started is deplorable. How the government is currently is beyond parody and we are all here to laugh at it.

Can this Government survive?

https://www.strawpoll.me/16960540

Anidav fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I’m gay.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Anime Dave

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Where’s my Christmas theme you fucker

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm gonna main Bill Shorten this season if no one minds.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Anidav posted:

An opposition leader who has grown up from a checks notes nobody to a copy Corbyn's notes nobody.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
‪Today I learned there was a move to persuade the State Executive to re-endorse Craig Kelly as Liberal candidate for Hughes in order to avoid a preselection - in other words to deny Liberal Party members in Hughes the opportunity to have their say. ‬

I subsequently spoke with several State Executive members to express my strong view that the Party’s democratic processes should operate in the normal way especially after such a long debate in the NSW Liberal Party about the importance of grass roots membership involvement.

Shortly after, my media adviser was contacted by The Australian and the Daily Telegraph about these discussions, so rather than wait for their version of events to be published tomorrow, I can state now that I am strongly of the view that the normal democratic process should be allowed to proceed.

It has been put to me that Mr Kelly has threatened to go to the cross bench and “bring down the Government”. If indeed he has made that threat, it is not one that should result in a capitulation. Indeed it would be the worst and weakest response to such a threat.

It is time for the Liberal Party members in Hughes to have their say about their local member and decide who they want to represent them.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

JBP posted:

I'm gonna main Bill Shorten this season if no one minds.

We all mind.

Moving on, the last page of the last thread had a discussion of Craig Kelly demanding to be given preselection sans vote and it looking like there are no numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if they offered that as an option they could try, then actively sabotaged the numbers so they could go "well, gee, we tried our damndest but those drat moderates!".

The plan was probably to have it play out slower so they could make a new set of deals with the cross bench.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's cool that this government may last another half year because a bunch of lovely independents know they're doomed too and want to hang on and get paid to do nothing for as long as possible.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Call me

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
terrible op, terrible country, voted 1

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
i don't like bob katter

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

bandaid.friend posted:

i don't like bob katter

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

But that's not Bob Katter standing with a painting of Queensland tap water in a can?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
no that's robbie katter, the son.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

thatbastardken posted:

no that's robbie katter, the son.

Ah nevermind, I overlooked that when I realised someone had willingly wasted time on painting a can of XXXX Gold for some reason or another.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I haven't visited here in a while. Any LNP supporters that regularly post in auspol threads?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Amethyst could probably be talked into a casual LNP vote if you chat him up right

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I don't like the idea of scrapping the monthly thread.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Well it was one fellas unilateral action. I'm sure someone will ignore it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
We need to let the rank and file posters decide on thread frequency, not imposed from the top down by some factional warlord.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Several monthly microthreads catering to the narrow interests of a few posters is a better system

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/SeanBradbery/status/1069188476480847873

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav has clearly gone mad with power. Look at the typos! The lovely poll with no joke option! Mad I say!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Holy poo poo, slam dunk

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Schlesische posted:

We all mind.

Moving on, the last page of the last thread had a discussion of Craig Kelly demanding to be given preselection sans vote and it looking like there are no numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if they offered that as an option they could try, then actively sabotaged the numbers so they could go "well, gee, we tried our damndest but those drat moderates!".

The plan was probably to have it play out slower so they could make a new set of deals with the cross bench.

Malcolm Turnbull has spectacularly intervened to block a plan by Prime Minister Scott Morrison to save the career of conservative backbencher Craig Kelly, which has now collapsed after a furious backlash.
In a series of tweets on Sunday night, the former prime minister said a growing push to immediately cancel preselections in NSW was a "capitulation" and "weak" response to Mr Kelly's threats to move to the crossbench if he was dumped by Liberal Party members.

SickosShorten

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Funny how one of the few female Liberal MPs (Jane Prentice) got dumped in preselection and there was nothing that could be done, but they somehow find a way to save the invaluable Craig loving Kelly

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Amethyst could probably be talked into a casual LNP vote if you chat him up right
Just surprised anyone would bother posting in auspol threads if they back the LNP. Nothing but a catalogue of bad news for them.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

You might get one or two wondering in on election day.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Even pisscraig was in here spruiking the virtues of Shortenmania last month.

Continuing to support the LNP into 2019 should definitely be a disqualifying trait for friendship, babysitting, Christmas dinner invitations, and all other social interaction, and may in fact be an indicator of severe mental illness.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Funny how one of the few female Liberal MPs (Jane Prentice) got dumped in preselection and there was nothing that could be done, but they somehow find a way to save the invaluable Craig loving Kelly

He’s helping to keep up their quota of Sky news appearances.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SMH posted:

Craig Kelly walked into the Engadine Gymnastics Club on Sunday night a man under pressure.

The embattled Liberal Party backbencher spotted a group of local politicians who had also been invited to hand out awards to excited children. The group included Lee Evans, a Liberal member of the NSW Parliament, and Carmelo Pesce, the Liberal mayor of the Sutherland Shire Council.

Kelly put out his hand to greet the mayor. Pesce put his hand behind his back.

"You're a f---ing prick!" Kelly shouted at Pesce. "Are you f---ing kidding me? You're not going to f---ing shake my hand?"

Pesce refused to speak but Kelly - who had spent much of Sunday trying to save his career - didn't take the hint: "What? Do you mean you're not going to f---ing shake my hand."

Pesce relented and told Kelly he could not stomach the thought of shaking his hand.

"You're a disgrace for what you're doing to the party," Pesce told Kelly.

"You're the disgrace," Kelly shot back. Gymnastics coach Graham Spooner intervened and told the men to cool it. So did Evans.

Kelly confirmed the encounter when contacted by Fairfax Media on Sunday night but declined to comment. Pesce refused to talk but Evans confirmed the exchange: "This is not how you behave in public," he said of Kelly.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

We need to let the rank and file posters decide on thread frequency, not imposed from the top down by some factional warlord.

Will this captains call bring down the prime minister AusPol IK?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Jonah Galtberg posted:

(All of your fellow vicsoc/greens voters in the club crack up laughing at this post)

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

notice the lack of denial :thunk:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Jonah Galtberg posted:

notice the lack of denial :thunk:

stfu you inane poser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU