Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I’m not sure I see how it’s politically expedient for the crossbenchers to abstain. I would have thought they’d be siding with Labor to build cachet for the Government presumptive. Are they hoping for concessions ala Katter to bolster their reelection campaigns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Crossbenchers are basically hoping to be MP's as long as they possibly can, because most of them know they're loving gone next election regardless.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
theres a whole lotta trash thats going to be dumped next election, especially in the senate

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

bell jar posted:

crossbench abstaining from votes like the gormless cowards they are

What are you referring to? It's senior NSW liberal party members who are abstaining at the moment, right?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

holy gently caress

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

BBJoey posted:

I’m not sure I see how it’s politically expedient for the crossbenchers to abstain. I would have thought they’d be siding with Labor to build cachet for the Government presumptive. Are they hoping for concessions ala Katter to bolster their reelection campaigns?

You get some of them (Greens, Wilkie) that usually vote with the Opposition, and then you get some (Katter) that usually vote with the Govt. The rest of them are either Liberal defectors who won't do things to destabilise the party, or are in seats where voting against the Govt would not look good for them.

Mostly it's just self-interest.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Amethyst posted:

What are you referring to? It's senior NSW liberal party members who are abstaining at the moment, right?

The vote to suspend standing orders in the House

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

BBJoey posted:

There is zero value in supporting a government who have the electoral chances of a burned slice of spam, in exchange for pork barreling promises they'll never be have the chance to honour. A majority ALP government will have no inclination to support them either.

I actually have no idea what they were doing. If the people who elected them wanted this government, they would have elected a Liberal MP. If they wanted to support the Government, they should have joined the Liberal party.

I mean, I think at this point it would make more sense to support the Liberal Party, but not this government, as this government is an exacerbation of the issues currently affecting the Liberal party - an extreme example of the issues, not an exception to them. Supporting this government but not the Liberal party makes no sense at all. And I think they will do worse at the polls for it. Anyone who would punish Phelps or McGowan for voting with the ALP to trigger an early election would have voted for the Liberal candidate by default, I mean gently caress it's not that hard.

The only thing I can think of is that they read the Arse and watch Channel 7 too much, and they've bought into the notion that a Shorten govt is this toxic worst case scenario that will ruin the country somehow more than the status quo.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Phelps introduced a bill to get sick people off Nauru today, maybe they want to see where that goes

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I like how every time you knife a PM they come back as a vengeful ghost. It's honestly a bit Shakespearean.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Amazing.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The ghosts of PMs past visit Scummo during the night. Scummo exclaims "Oh no, you're here to try and teach me the error of my ways. I won't have it. I won't!"
The ghosts reply "Oh no, we're just here to collect you to help haunt the new guy".

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I'll fix the typos when I'm home I did the OP in a rush. Sorry all.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Never apologise, you're news corp now, just print a retraction right at the end of the thread and then close it.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

hooman posted:

Never apologise, you're news corp now, just print a retraction right at the end of the thread and then close it.

:drat:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

bandaid.friend posted:

Phelps introduced a bill to get sick people off Nauru today, maybe they want to see where that goes

Thinking about it more, assuming this bill is for the good of people urgently in need, and assuming it could actually pass, I'd hope the crossbench kept abstaining from no confidence motions. The ABC says she'd need the entire crossbench, Labor and one Coalition MP

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-29/kerryn-phelps-crossbench-mps-senators-children-nauru/10566626

Is there any chance it'd get through this week?

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."
I don’t understand why the crossbenchers (Wilkie and Bandt excluded) haven’t done more to increase parliament sitting days. Surely they would like to actually do something with their influence.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

Well we can't give you too much poo poo since you're a mod and all.

Oh wait, you're no longer a mod

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

hidys posted:

I don’t understand why the crossbenchers (Wilkie and Bandt excluded) haven’t done more to increase parliament sitting days. Surely they would like to actually do something with their influence.

They abstained from the vote on this because they didn't want to play politics. So I guess we should be expecting their resignations any day now

*tumbleweeds*

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

bandaid.friend posted:

yeah it'll be something like this. some of them have poo poo they want to do, others probably just want to ride out the mp salary to the absolute last second.

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."

bell jar posted:

They abstained from the vote on this because they didn't want to play politics. So I guess we should be expecting their resignations any day now

*tumbleweeds*

They are doing more to help this government then the actual Liberal Party.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Pinchy the Lobster is looking for a new home.

I think they retired it a little too early. They should have rehomed it at the Shire for Craig Kelly and Scomo. It could've became the mascot for corrupt and rat loving Liberals.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Amoeba102 posted:

The ghosts of PMs past visit Scummo during the night. Scummo exclaims "Oh no, you're here to try and teach me the error of my ways. I won't have it. I won't!"
The ghosts reply "Oh no, we're just here to collect you to help haunt the new guy".

Can I steal this for Twitter?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Every loving time she's like this.

Is there, in the entire history of the world, a single person who talks endlessly about how they succeeded through their own hard work and skill, and how you can too, who wasn't handed everything on a silver platter?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

CrazyTolradi posted:

Crossbenchers are basically hoping to be MP's as long as they possibly can, because most of them know they're loving gone next election regardless.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The most important AusPol news

After three years of near but not quite near enough, SBS is prosecuting its most aggressive play for a win at the Eurovision Song Contest since formally entering the competition in 2015.
The broadcaster has named the first performers who will compete for Eurovision glory at Australia Decides, a pre-competition playoff intended to put our representing artist and song to a national vote.

The first four acts locked in for the event are award-winning singer-songwriter Kate Miller-Heidke, the indie pop band Sheppard, the pop-opera star Mark Vincent and the modern electric-soul duo Electric Fields.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

some poo poo going on in bris?

https://twitter.com/QldPolice/status/1069418824707919872

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Every loving time she's like this.

Is there, in the entire history of the world, a single person who talks endlessly about how they succeeded through their own hard work and skill, and how you can too, who wasn't handed everything on a silver platter?

Arnold Schwarzenegger.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

twitter stuff saying shots fired?

man with a gun

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-03/qld-police-incident-coronation-drive/10577400

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
im at home watching question time gently caress

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

28766f69642a2930 posted:

im at home watching question time gently caress

You don't love yourself

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

drat

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian Opinion posted:

Time is up. The Liberal party won’t reform, so it is time to stop fighting, split and take the opportunity to compete for the support of the public. The Liberal party is now broken, brand-damaged and unable to attract new members that would enable it to represent a “broad church”.

The failure of the existing Liberal party to address climate change or to support an integrity commission is unacceptable.

Nowhere is this failure more obvious than in its continued support for the Adani coalmine and new coal-fired power stations.

I expected more from Scott Morrison after the Victorian walloping. Instead we get the very same. Slippery answers to everything. Coal, coal, coal and soaring greenhouse gas emissions.

Refusing to reduce emissions as cheaply as possible is irrational, immoral and economically reckless. Achieving emission reductions of just 2% a year as proposed by the Labor party in the electricity sector costs very little and won’t risk system stability or security.

We should be aiming for a 2% reduction in emissions every year to ensure Australia does its fair share to tackle climate change. Instead, emissions are increasing and are at a seven year high.

Something must lie behind the failure of the Liberal party to accept policies that are economically rational and environmentally sound, so some sunlight from an integrity commission should be welcomed by all Australians.

Wherever you look, something is wrong.

We desperately need an integrity commission to investigate potential conflicts of interest
The pursuit by ministers of baseload coal power when we need dispatchable renewable energy and storage.

Claims by ministers that we need more fossil fuels and that they are cheaper than renewables or that clean coal is the answer.

Claims by ministers that as Australia only emits 1.3% of global pollution we have no role to play, ignoring the fact that we are only 0.3% of the population and that we will be heavily damaged by the impacts of climate change.

And the final insult – allowing the Adani coalmine to proceed when it lacks a social licence, is completely inconsistent with the need to tackle climate change and frankly smells with donations, overseas trips and wedding parties.

We desperately need an integrity commission to investigate potential conflicts of interest that see a revolving door between the coal industry and minister’s offices. It is hard to believe donors don’t have influence on the selection of ministers to some degree.

Members of parliament that are selected to be ministers stand to receive additional pay of more than $150,000, boosting their remuneration towards $500,000. It seems obvious that such ministers would be more likely to promote the views of the large donors that influenced their appointment in the first place.

We need a parliament that accepts science.

We need a parliament that respects our geography and rationally accepts that our neighbours and their views have special relevance and their concerns deserve special attention, just as my neighbours on my street deserve my special consideration.

We need a root and branch review of the political remuneration system that ensures that it provides the right incentives for all politicians to work for the benefit of our country rather than fight against each other to secure the “spoils of government”.

As a Liberal, I have had enough and, as evidenced by the swing in safe Liberal seats in Victoria, I am not alone.

We must provide alternatives for Liberals to vote for at the next federal election, and I hope to see independent Liberals provide electors in safe Liberal seats with that choice. We need to return to the day where politicians know that their job is not to retain their job but rather to represent their electorate, who, if they are lucky, reward them with their job.

The Liberal party brand has been so damaged and trust so completely destroyed that no amount of “shuffling the deck chairs” will change the outcome of the next federal election.

It is simply impossible for many Liberal voters to vote for a party that:

works to prevent any action on climate change
has the potential to be controlled by the mining industry or whichever new industry is willing to pay for favours (clubs, internet gambling, pokies, firearms and many more)
rejects the establishment of an integrity commission
rejects donation reform and transparency and promotes members for their fundraising skills rather than policy and communication skills
backs the Adani coalmine, which has no social licence and is inconsistent with our need to tackle climate change; and
regardless of the election result seems to be heading towards installing Tony Abbott or Peter Dutton as the next party leader
Liberal voters will align with independent Liberals who have real world experience, who will put the interests of their electorates first and who support:
tight fiscal responsibility so the country operates within its means
strong border controls, backed by a compassionate approach to the treatment of refugees
free enterprise and small business, balanced with appropriate regulation to ensure competition is fair
transparency, integrity and trust; and
real action on climate change that is consistent with what the science is demanding
While I am sure many “shock jocks” who are doing daily damage to the Liberal party will yet again venture to their usual corner of scare tactics about the arrival of independent Liberals, there is no justification for that.

Independent Liberals will move with transparency and integrity, and will clearly state their principals and beliefs so electors know what they are voting for. Just imagine how refreshing that would be in the current world of dark party politics where trading principals for position and power is considered a positive skill.

Once the Liberal party reforms and rebalances, Liberal independents might elect to join again.

This is comedy gold. The liberal party is so terrible and awful, if only there were some kind of alternative offering those policies that I want to see implemented. Oh well, since there isn't, better vote for random independants liberals who side with the LNP in parliament anyway.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
So there are going to be 386 people presumably appealing their convictions with a strong chance of success due to them being convicted thanks to VicPol turning their defence attorney into an informer.......

Also presumably one soon to be extremely dead former defence lawyer

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Solemn Sloth posted:

So there are going to be 386 people presumably appealing their convictions with a strong chance of success due to them being convicted thanks to VicPol turning their defence attorney into an informer.......

Fuckin' what?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Peccadillo posted:

Fuckin' what?

It’s fuckin wild

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/high-court-blasts-police-for-reprehensible-conduct-over-informer-3838-20181203-p50jv6.html

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

She's* the greatest lawyer ever and master of the long con.

* pardon me

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

JBP posted:

He's the greatest lawyer ever and master of the long con.

She

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yes I caught myself as I hit post and checked my biases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

tithin posted:

Can I steal this for Twitter?

Go for it.