Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

That other airline guy that has the same job as Frank for the other airlines.

Thats Joe Pera right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

TheDon01 posted:

That other airline guy that has the same job as Frank for the other airlines.

Thats Joe Pera right?

It sure is. I was hoping he would have had a bigger role because I love that drat voice.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

escape artist posted:

It sure is. I was hoping he would have had a bigger role because I love that drat voice.

Well with what went down in the last episode we'll prob be seeing a whole lot more of that airline

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

escape artist posted:

I thought the season was fantastic.

Season 4 was a lot better then 3. It might actually be the best season so far to be honest.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
My favorite thing about this show is how un-nostalgic it is. America and its people are literally portrayed as some of the most disgusting animals that have ever lived, its wild.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Sue throwing the stick into Jeffrey Dahmer's bicycle spokes was on point. I love her little badass moments, Lie when she hit a home run from Chets fastball in the previous season and rubbed it in his face.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 5, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

My favorite thing about this show is how un-nostalgic it is. America and its people are literally portrayed as some of the most disgusting animals that have ever lived, its wild.

It gets tiresome at some points but that's good. If they ever let up, even for a second, it would turn into a nostalgia fest. That's how humans work it loving sucks

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I enjoy how the show makes Sue as sympathetic even though she isn't infallible. Too many shows like this you have people sympathize with the main male character even though he's substantially worse than the wife.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It gets tiresome at some points but that's good. If they ever let up, even for a second, it would turn into a nostalgia fest. That's how humans work it loving sucks

I liked that this show had me research american history and found out that you guys had a serious "idiots throwing trash literally everywhere" problem in the 1970's.

My favourite moment from the show is still the Janitor dad dumping a shitload of chemicals into the pool "WHEN IT STOPS SMOKING THAT MEANS ITS SAFE TO SWIM IN"

christ

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I've just finished season 4. I'm not entirely sure what compels me to keep watching this show. I don't find it particularly funny. There are definitely some great jokes sprinkled throughout, but too often they're buried under layers of overly edgy, unpleasant, mean spirited, and/or shock humor. There are the makings of good storytelling, but big moments are often undercut in a Family Guy-esque way. It's a serialized show, but four seasons in it feels like wheels spinning. Frank has the exact same redemption arc every season. He's a piece of poo poo, and yes that's the point but I hate that the show tries very hard to give him these empathetic moments where you're supposed to feel sorry for him. BoJack Horseman is also a piece of poo poo but the show is able to actually earn its empathetic moments with him. Being a serialized show, it would help considerably if Frank showed any sort of character growth, but the show resets him so he remains awful to watch.

I knew exactly how the arc between Frank and his father would play out immediately due to this show's cyclic nature, right down to him dying at the worst possible moment without the two ever truly forgiving each other.

... I'm still definitely going to watch the next season.

fake edit: I enjoyed seeing actual character growth in Kevin and Vic, which I think are also the best characters.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I've just finished season 4. I'm not entirely sure what compels me to keep watching this show. I don't find it particularly funny. There are definitely some great jokes sprinkled throughout, but too often they're buried under layers of overly edgy, unpleasant, mean spirited, and/or shock humor. There are the makings of good storytelling, but big moments are often undercut in a Family Guy-esque way. It's a serialized show, but four seasons in it feels like wheels spinning. Frank has the exact same redemption arc every season. He's a piece of poo poo, and yes that's the point but I hate that the show tries very hard to give him these empathetic moments where you're supposed to feel sorry for him. BoJack Horseman is also a piece of poo poo but the show is able to actually earn its empathetic moments with him. Being a serialized show, it would help considerably if Frank showed any sort of character growth, but the show resets him so he remains awful to watch.

I knew exactly how the arc between Frank and his father would play out immediately due to this show's cyclic nature, right down to him dying at the worst possible moment without the two ever truly forgiving each other.

... I'm still definitely going to watch the next season.

fake edit: I enjoyed seeing actual character growth in Kevin and Vic, which I think are also the best characters.

I agree with most of this. The shock humour basically sucks and sometimes borders on so tiresome you just wanna tune out, but there's just enough character drama that I keep coming back. Frank never really changes that much, but the show takes storytelling just seriously enough that you're still on the hook. I guess there are probably people who absolutely adore the cheap jokes about fat people and sleep through the family drama, and that's why the show keeps getting renewed, so maybe it's a necessary thing.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

While I agree the show has problems calling it "Family Guy esque" is harsh.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Android Blues posted:

I agree with most of this. The shock humour basically sucks and sometimes borders on so tiresome you just wanna tune out, but there's just enough character drama that I keep coming back. Frank never really changes that much, but the show takes storytelling just seriously enough that you're still on the hook. I guess there are probably people who absolutely adore the cheap jokes about fat people and sleep through the family drama, and that's why the show keeps getting renewed, so maybe it's a necessary thing.

That's a pretty good summary as to why I keep watching. I'm curious as to which aspects of the show the majority of its viewers are interested in.

punk rebel ecks posted:

While I agree the show has problems calling it "Family Guy esque" is harsh.

It's a much better written show than Family Guy, but I was mainly talking about the way it'll undercut important or deep moments with a (often tasteless) joke. It doesn't do that every time, I suppose. That, and a good portion of the humor has that same mean-spirited tone in the same vein of Family Guy.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So the new and final season will premiere in 45 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrqgzUiriVE

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Well I finished the last episode and thus the series.

It was pretty enjoyable, but being honest I'm kind of happy that the series is ending. It feels like it has said everything it needed to say. I will say though while it was entertaining it wasn't as funny as previous seasons.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
I agree, feel like this final season wasn't up to par with the ones that came before it. It felt a little aimless at times and that in general, characters outside of the family didn't really get to shine like in past seasons. The humor didn't feel quite as sharp either. That being said, I thought the final scene was really sweet and a great way to bookend the series. I kinda hate that its already over but I'm glad it didn't end up overstaying its welcome.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Yeah. I also think it didn’t do the best ratings wise as it didn’t even make the Top 10 the day of its premiere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I didn’t watch the new season yet but the whole show was pretty aimless. Each member of the family goes through the same arc every season and resets for the next. I mean I liked it enough to binge each season but then I completely forget about it immediately after.