Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Surprised to see that this show doesn't have a thread on here.

Now I can understand why some people would pass on this show. When it comes to Netflix programs, ESPECIALLY the animated ones, they are either some of the best animated series ever made (Bojack Horseman, Castlevania) or some of the worst (Paradise PD, Neo Yokio). I think it also helps that the former series tend to really differentiate themselves from what is expected from a Western animated series. Bojack Horseman being an extremely dark comedy about an anthropomorphic horse trying to reform his lovely self, and Castlevania essentially being an adult "Western anime" so to speak. But F is for Family doesn't stand out like that, as F is for Family simply a family sitcom set in the 1970s. So I can imagine people dismissing it as "Netflix's take on The Simpsons, only set in the 1970s". It also doesn't help that the art style doesn't really do much to combat this thought, as it definitely is very dull and "safe".

But despite what the show comes off as, it's actually very good. And while I currently wouldn't rank it as good as say Bojack Horseman, it is still a high quality show that is within throwing distance.

The show stars Frank who is a father of a dysfunctional family. Like many of these new animated comedies, he is voiced by a well known actor/comedian Bill Burr, who does a solid job in terms of voice work and acting. He is married to his wife Sue, and has three kids Kevin, Bill, and Maureen. When the show starts things seem pretty typical. Frank is the hot head dead who is a military vet who demands respect from his family (and rarely gets it), Sue is the calm voice of reason housewife, Kevin is the rebellious son, Bill is the good kid who is a bit of a doormat, and Maureen is seen as the golden child who is actually a two faced sociopath.

However, as the show goes on the characters and the topic get much more depth. We see Frank constantly having to make hard decisions in his life as he wants to support his family, Sue struggling between following the social norms of being a stay at home wife or pursuing her dreams of being a successful business woman, Kevin in trying to be a teenager trying to fit in (yes, he's the most boring character), Bill who gradually shows his backbone but is constantly challenged as he lives in a town filled with psychopath children, and Maureen who despite gets all the attention from the family also constantly gets overlooked and wants to challenge gender norms.

The further the show goes, the more one connects with the characters. It also really helps as the family is always in turmoil and is constantly challenged in nearly every episode. Many of these topics deal with the struggle of the middle class, sexism, race relations, domestic abuse, mental health, etc. Now I'm not saying the show is "the wokest show on Netflix", but for being an animated sitcom by Bill Burr, it will really surprise you at times.

The show is also very funny. Especially with how sadistic the humor can be

In short: F is for Family is a very good show, it's better than you would assume it. It isn't the perfect, show especially the first few episodes, but it soon finds its voice and style and does well to differentiate itself from all of the other comedies out there. Let's talk about the just released Season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The stuff with Chet was pretty compelling, especially the last scene between him and Frank. Toxic masculinity is dangerous and destroys people and relationships.

I took that last scene showing just how unhinged Chet really is.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'm surprised how much this show touches upon sexism being how anti-feminist Bill Burr comes off as.

My main problem with the show is that the characters don't really evolve. So the finally ends with Frank having a wake-up call that he has to appreciate and care for his family more...erm isn't that what happened last season?

There are also interesting arcs they just abandon by taking the easy way out. Such as Bill's road of becoming a sociopath, but it turns out he stops due to his ex-president's tattling on him while has Bill...start being friends with the ex-friend again due to reasons?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Panfilo posted:

I'm halfway through the third season, but Chet creeps me out. The exchange in the F phantom where he gets quiet then says "So I'm a bad guy?" then scares Frank was really creepy. Or how he gives the exact same Friend dialogue to other people.

That's the point. Dude's a sociopath. He seems almost too good to be true to Frank and that's because he is. He manipulates the people around him so he can abuse his enemies without them knowing.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

OmegaBR posted:

I really wasn't a fan of season two's dynamic between Frank and Sue (mostly Sue's portrayal,) because Frank was portrayed as desperately trying not to lose his job and family's source of income, while Sue was portrayed as a bored housewife with a good idea trying to find some excitement in her life. At the house he couldn't be supportive of her due to his personality, but outside the house it was like he was scared shitless of losing his house. And then they go on the therapy retreat and he admits that he doesn't like the idea of Sue making more money than him, ultimately the idea of him failing as a man. Her response to this wasn't sympathy, but to call him a selfish rear end in a top hat. Later on, as they leave for different monumental tasks - Frank to try and finally get the airline back running and Sue to present her invention - she goes and insults his chances of getting his job back. And then she turns back and asks him, "Frank, isn't there anything you'd like to say to me?" as if finally expecting him to back her after she's just got done hitting him where it hurts the most.

What bugged me the most is how Sue was so surprised by finding out Frank's real feelings. Why wouldn't you assume that a traditional '70s man won't be emasculated and jealous by his wife making more than him?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Is there a season 4 in the works? Anyone?

...Goomer :(

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/netflix/278841/f-is-for-family-season-4-netflix

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Season 4 is out.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Finished Season 4. I really liked how they handled Frank's father. The first few episodes make it seem that Frank is just crazy. His father manages to completely fool even you. Then it just takes one scene for him to turn into a monster.

Frank also just comes across as such an irredeemable rear end in a top hat this season. They do a good job at showing how everyone, even he, knows it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The show also displayed just how much "younger" thirty is now in modern America. Plenty of music artists and celebrities are "hip" in their thirties today.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I enjoy how the show makes Sue as sympathetic even though she isn't infallible. Too many shows like this you have people sympathize with the main male character even though he's substantially worse than the wife.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

While I agree the show has problems calling it "Family Guy esque" is harsh.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So the new and final season will premiere in 45 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrqgzUiriVE

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Well I finished the last episode and thus the series.

It was pretty enjoyable, but being honest I'm kind of happy that the series is ending. It feels like it has said everything it needed to say. I will say though while it was entertaining it wasn't as funny as previous seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Yeah. I also think it didn’t do the best ratings wise as it didn’t even make the Top 10 the day of its premiere.