Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm halfway through season 3. Overall I do like this show, but I find it hard to watch sometimes because they lay on the mean spirited humor, hopelessness, and depressing themes extremely thick. Whereas BoJack is mostly a show that will lift your spirits while including the occasional emotional gut punch, F is For Family is unrelentingly depressing. Also, if you grew up with an abusive father, it hits a little too close to home. I imagine it also hits too close to home for any checked out parent tied down to a family.

Frank is also nearly impossible to feel any sympathy for, though the show does attempt to make you feel for him many times. He's such a whiny rear end in a top hat that he makes BoJack look like a saint.

Also speaking of "F is for gently caress"... does anyone seriously still find excessive swearing in animated shows funny? Not even just casual swearing, this show goes out of its way to accentuate the words as if it's still considered edgy. "gently caress" is almost always said with as much hate and anger that they can muster up. Comparing to BoJack again, but BoJack has one "gently caress" per season and it's always at a meaningful moment.

Despite these complaints, I do think it's a smart show and definitely above average for an adult animated sitcom. It goes out of it's way to subvert standard family sitcom tropes by showing a realistic broken family, and you never quite know what to expect from it.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Also like BoJack Horseman, F is for Family has a problem with having the characters grow each season, only to hard reset at the beginning of the next season. BoJack's most recent season (5) was somewhat frustrating (while still being possibly the best season) because BoJack himself finally had strong character growth starting in season 4 and continuing through season 5 and was making serious strides toward being a better and more positive person, and at the end they instead decided to have him crash and burn rather than keeping that momentum going. However, BoJack has so much going on on top of the character drama that it isn't as big of an issue. Here, the emotional drama is basically everything so the backpeddling each season stands out.

A scene that irked me for example was near the end when Frank tries to have a gentle heart-to-heart with Kevin and pours his heart out, only to reveal that Kevin fell asleep during Frank's monologue. They then erupt back into a shouting match once again.. I get what they're going for - attitudes can't just change from one heart to heart talk. But this at least the third time now they've done this exact same thing with Frank and Kevin.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I've just finished season 4. I'm not entirely sure what compels me to keep watching this show. I don't find it particularly funny. There are definitely some great jokes sprinkled throughout, but too often they're buried under layers of overly edgy, unpleasant, mean spirited, and/or shock humor. There are the makings of good storytelling, but big moments are often undercut in a Family Guy-esque way. It's a serialized show, but four seasons in it feels like wheels spinning. Frank has the exact same redemption arc every season. He's a piece of poo poo, and yes that's the point but I hate that the show tries very hard to give him these empathetic moments where you're supposed to feel sorry for him. BoJack Horseman is also a piece of poo poo but the show is able to actually earn its empathetic moments with him. Being a serialized show, it would help considerably if Frank showed any sort of character growth, but the show resets him so he remains awful to watch.

I knew exactly how the arc between Frank and his father would play out immediately due to this show's cyclic nature, right down to him dying at the worst possible moment without the two ever truly forgiving each other.

... I'm still definitely going to watch the next season.

fake edit: I enjoyed seeing actual character growth in Kevin and Vic, which I think are also the best characters.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Android Blues posted:

I agree with most of this. The shock humour basically sucks and sometimes borders on so tiresome you just wanna tune out, but there's just enough character drama that I keep coming back. Frank never really changes that much, but the show takes storytelling just seriously enough that you're still on the hook. I guess there are probably people who absolutely adore the cheap jokes about fat people and sleep through the family drama, and that's why the show keeps getting renewed, so maybe it's a necessary thing.

That's a pretty good summary as to why I keep watching. I'm curious as to which aspects of the show the majority of its viewers are interested in.

punk rebel ecks posted:

While I agree the show has problems calling it "Family Guy esque" is harsh.

It's a much better written show than Family Guy, but I was mainly talking about the way it'll undercut important or deep moments with a (often tasteless) joke. It doesn't do that every time, I suppose. That, and a good portion of the humor has that same mean-spirited tone in the same vein of Family Guy.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I didn’t watch the new season yet but the whole show was pretty aimless. Each member of the family goes through the same arc every season and resets for the next. I mean I liked it enough to binge each season but then I completely forget about it immediately after.