Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Rarity posted:

Duke Nukem 3D wouldn't even be the 35th best video game ever if there were only 35 video games in existence

Duke Nukem IS retarded and overrated, Terra Nova and System Shock 1 were way cooler FPS titles for the time.

Doom was (and still is) also really bad, Quake too, I mean the whole satanic hell portal thing is so garish and ugly. Why couldn’t sci-fi games in the 90s take more inspiration from Aliens and Blade Runner, rather than heavy metal album covers or whatever it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

psyman posted:

Duke Nukem IS retarded and overrated, Terra Nova and System Shock 1 were way cooler FPS titles for the time.

Duke Nukem was amazing at the time. System shock is a better game but at the time it was more of a sleeper hit. Tera Nova was a poo poo game that went nowhere.

psyman posted:

Doom was (and still is) also really bad, Quake too, I mean the whole satanic hell portal thing is so garish and ugly. Why couldn’t sci-fi games in the 90s take more inspiration from Aliens and Blade Runner, rather than heavy metal album covers or whatever it was.
Yeah, why were genre defining games so crap? It's kind of like asking why your opinions are so wrong.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

psyman posted:

You may think that this is a poo poo-hot take but it's really just a cold diarrhea dump. :smug:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Once you mod in a WASD and mouse control scheme the original Doom has aged quite well coming from someone who first played it a few years ago.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

psyman posted:

Oh man whatever you do stay away from the classic FPS thread lol.
Also your opinions are wrong and bad just fyi.

As for the GOAT list it’s interesting to see the perspective from 1996 but man, in just 3 years you had genre defining greats like Diablo, Star Craft, European Air War, MGS, Ocarina of Time, Half-Life....
The mid 90s to late 90s were truly a magical age in gaming.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this is a really unique list, enjoying reading this due to how varied and colorful the selections are (lots of fighting games and shooters which is great) Just pretty impressive to see so much written on 100 games in general, now I wonder if I would be able to do it.

I'd have a lot of modern poo poo on my own but I think some of the weirder/obscure games are always the most fascinating, i.e. Mischief Makers, Ogre Battle 64, OutRun, Ninja Five-0. I'm gonna have to research about this Ranger-X game.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Oh my god I remember reading that.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

DLC Inc posted:

this is a really unique list, enjoying reading this due to how varied and colorful the selections are (lots of fighting games and shooters which is great) Just pretty impressive to see so much written on 100 games in general, now I wonder if I would be able to do it.

I'd have a lot of modern poo poo on my own but I think some of the weirder/obscure games are always the most fascinating, i.e. Mischief Makers, Ogre Battle 64, OutRun, Ninja Five-0. I'm gonna have to research about this Ranger-X game.

Thanks it really means a lot to me. :)

It took me so long to write it.

Being honest, I'm not sure if I could do it again due to me being more "out of the loop" with gaming than when I wrote it.

It's so strange that you said that you wonder if you could do it, since so many people have made their own GOAT list articles after seeing mine.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
A list without Heroes of Might and Magic 3 in the top 10, a shameful list.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Buller posted:

A list without Heroes of Might and Magic 3 in the top 10, a shameful list.

The list was written 3 years before HOMM3 was released.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Friendly Fire posted:

The list was written 3 years before HOMM3 was released.

They should have known.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Next Generation was a dope publication and I was genuinely disappointed when it went under

It was cool to read a magazine back in the day that wasnt desperately shoehorning in monkey cheese random poo poo on every page and painfully unfunny captions and other crap

the amount of cringe worthy stuff in things like PSM hoooolyyyy poo poo, that was hard to read even as an early teenager

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

DLC Inc posted:

I'm gonna have to research about this Ranger-X game.

Don't play it without a 6-button controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Pneub posted:

Don't play it without a 6-button controller.