Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

FirstAidKite posted:

What's wrong?

With all due respect, don't you find any of this kind of gay?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

bluegoon posted:

No, I swing both ways

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

bluegoon posted:

Are you talking about the cartridge licking thing or the thread in general? If it's the former, whatever; if it's the latter, gently caress you very much.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

if cartridge licking is gay you can call me the laughing man

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

bluegoon posted:

With all due respect, your usage of gay in such a manner is a slur, regardless of context, and you should fix that and yourself. :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fix your hearts or die.

EDIT for clarity: Not a threat, just a David Lynch/Gordon Cole quote.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
It’s the meme about Nintendo making the switch cartridge taste unbearably bitter to prevent children from swallowing them. It used the same coating as anti-nail biting agent.

Foolish Nintendo, i like bitter!

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I had to use that as a child. Unfortunately the power of autism cannot be assailed by bitter fingernail polish.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Sour might be better in my opinion.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I recommend electrified nails. Not only will it curb the chewing, but it provides self defense against the inevitable bullying.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

RFC2324 posted:

I recommend electrified nails. Not only will it curb the chewing, but it provides self defense against the inevitable bullying.

poo poo I want these and I don't even bite my nails anymore.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RFC2324 posted:

yeah until the chief of engineering welds you into a locker.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Electrified fingernails or carpentry nails? The latter won't help.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

super sweet best pal posted:

Electrified fingernails or carpentry nails? The latter won't help.

I was thinking fingernails, but I'm pretty sure electrified carpentry nails to your fingers will keep you from nail biting.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Man, if I could get a doctor to prescribe weed for whatever and I got to smoke as a treatment I'd be sooo happy.

Weed is a huge taboo where I live and people are being judgmental af so if you smoke weed you kinda need to hide it etc.

I don't mean to say your problems are insignificant though, turt, I really hope you get better soon!

FatalT
Sep 11, 2001

I'm BLUE da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee...
Turtle, thanks for not vaping your weed for an evening which led to this community being created, even if I’m not sure I entirely trust everything I write in the discord being logged by some weirdo and shared somewhere.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

FatalT posted:

Turtle, thanks for not vaping your weed for an evening which led to this community being created, even if I’m not sure I entirely trust everything I write in the discord being logged by some weirdo and shared somewhere.

yeah, creepy goons make me nervous about really chatting in discord, but if it help then its worth it.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Who's being creepy?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

McGiggins posted:

Who's being creepy?

I haven't seen anyone doing it, goons just make me nervous sometimes :)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's both normal and OK to have a healthy level of paranoia about chat rooms on the internet.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Turtlicious posted:

It's both normal and OK to have a healthy level of paranoia about chat rooms on the internet.

Yes but I'm also experiencing the same issue and it's gonna be cool

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Eh, read the thread title and this might blow up in my face but wanted to vent somewhere.

About 3 months ago I wanna say, I lost my job and have been really struggling to find work again. (I have bad knees, from both genetics and the fact I have unhealthy eating addictions that I've been trying to curb as I get older). I've been told that "yeah we'll hire you for sure" but then things just go silent when I ask about it- hell I've even signed papers and jumped through all the hoops waiting for my first day but just... kinda nothing happens.

I recently checked my account and I have just enough money for little more than a single months worth of rent. I'm almost out of time and I'm freaking the gently caress out on a near daily basis but that isn't even the worse part.

I'm letting my elderly mom live with me (upper 60's) and she has some serious medical problems that I'm usually on top of. I recently decided that I was going to forsake the last month of rent that I have to move her in with my grandma (who's been wanting this for awhile and lives in a different state) that way she can at least be safe but she's refusing as she feels that this is all her fault for being sick and me dedicating a lot of time to helping her - kind of a "I sank this so I should go down too" which at her age and her health I just can't let happen.

I don't know what to do and I'm falling into this acceptance phase where I'm just playing games and I feel like giving up and just waiting to get booted from my apartment. It just feels utterly hopeless. I only sleep about 2-3 hours a day and there's times where I just can't help but shut down and stare into the distance like a husk.

We've been denied food stamps when we tried to apply for those, denied help in general and just :sigh: I used to have a serious suicidal phase going on and honestly this is just bringing it all back because I feel like the worlds biggest dumbass.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hello ThisIsACoolGuy,

what state do you live in if you dont mind me asking? I can check the internal job posting board for where I work if that'll help.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

I said come in! posted:

Hello ThisIsACoolGuy,

what state do you live in if you dont mind me asking? I can check the internal job posting board for where I work if that'll help.

Same. There is also the goon food fund you can reach out to if that will help ease your burden at all. I believe Plinkey runs it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Eh, read the thread title and this might blow up in my face but wanted to vent somewhere.

About 3 months ago I wanna say, I lost my job and have been really struggling to find work again. (I have bad knees, from both genetics and the fact I have unhealthy eating addictions that I've been trying to curb as I get older). I've been told that "yeah we'll hire you for sure" but then things just go silent when I ask about it- hell I've even signed papers and jumped through all the hoops waiting for my first day but just... kinda nothing happens.

I recently checked my account and I have just enough money for little more than a single months worth of rent. I'm almost out of time and I'm freaking the gently caress out on a near daily basis but that isn't even the worse part.

I'm letting my elderly mom live with me (upper 60's) and she has some serious medical problems that I'm usually on top of. I recently decided that I was going to forsake the last month of rent that I have to move her in with my grandma (who's been wanting this for awhile and lives in a different state) that way she can at least be safe but she's refusing as she feels that this is all her fault for being sick and me dedicating a lot of time to helping her - kind of a "I sank this so I should go down too" which at her age and her health I just can't let happen.

I don't know what to do and I'm falling into this acceptance phase where I'm just playing games and I feel like giving up and just waiting to get booted from my apartment. It just feels utterly hopeless. I only sleep about 2-3 hours a day and there's times where I just can't help but shut down and stare into the distance like a husk.

We've been denied food stamps when we tried to apply for those, denied help in general and just :sigh: I used to have a serious suicidal phase going on and honestly this is just bringing it all back because I feel like the worlds biggest dumbass.

Not sure if you've already tried this, but I got my current job through a temp agency and then was hired full time. It's a lot easier because they look at your skill set and pair you with a company that is active looking.

There's places like Aerotek and Randstad around here that are considered good for finding jobs.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I said come in! posted:

Hello ThisIsACoolGuy,

Live in Missouri

Ragequit posted:

Same. There is also the goon food fund you can reach out to if that will help ease your burden at all. I believe Plinkey runs it.

I'll probably poke around for it sometime soon. Right now I'm half asleep and I fully admit that I'm kind of afraid to admit I need help (even though I kind of already did)

Over There posted:

Not sure if you've already tried this, but I got my current job through a temp agency and then was hired full time. It's a lot easier because they look at your skill set and pair you with a company that is active looking.

There's places like Aerotek and Randstad around here that are considered good for finding jobs.

There's a couple near my apartment that I checked in with but the couple agencies I found weren't really interested because I didn't have enough experience as a warehouse guy or something else super specific. But maybe I was just looking at the wrong spot (that and I'm ashamed to admit I have a hard time staying on my feet before my right knee starts to give out)

If it's worth it I do have notes/pms/whatever you want to call them so this thread doesn't get cluttered.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 26, 2018

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

(that and I'm ashamed to admit I have a hard time staying on my feet before my right knee starts to give out)

There is zero shame in this! I know American work culture would have you believe otherwise, but it is incredibly unhealthy and intentionally designed to make sure you die from your job (not paid well enough, stuck in your position for as long as possible, ideally life, and crap benefits). Anywho, I found some stuff and I am going to send you a private message with all of the jobs available at our Missouri office.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Considering you have a knee issue, if you have any goodwill offices near you (like main goodwill buildings, not just the stores), I know here in Pennsylvania they offer help to people looking for work and aid them in getting a job, and even if you don't have one of those main offices near you, I know that goodwill is pretty open about hiring people regardless of how able-bodied they are so that might be worth looking into.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hey I just wanted to say I can totally relate to the feelings of being overwhelmed and feeling disappointed in yourself. Seconding what I Said Come In said about US work culture; the system is rigged to make you feel personally responsible for systemic feelings and that is not helpful!

I also wanted to suggest looking into some therapy and/or support group options because it can be really helpful and important to unpack/process heavy emotions by talking them through with a trained counselor, or even in a peer chat group. Your local social services or crisis hotline might be able to point you to local resources, or if you are anywhere near a university with a psych department, they sometimes provide free/inexpensive time with student counselors. There are many therapists who can do phone or video consultations on a sliding scale, although that is still some cost. There's an app called Pacifica which I've never tried, but it looks like it has a bunch of chat rooms and resources specifically for people dealing with depression and anxiety.

Uncertainty about housing is the WORST but unfortunately it's something lots of people have to deal with in this economy. The good news is there are supportive people out there and it is okay to ask for help!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Felt like I should mention it but I think I might be employed again. Worried about a few personal things but it might not be as dire anymore?
Just wanted to say thanks for all the words goons, really.

I probably should look into therapy when I get some more money behind me so will keep that in mind too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Felt like I should mention it but I think I might be employed again. Worried about a few personal things but it might not be as dire anymore?
Just wanted to say thanks for all the words goons, really.

I probably should look into therapy when I get some more money behind me so will keep that in mind too.

I'm proud of you! Thank you so much for the update. I am wishing all of the best going forward.