Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Wrar posted:

Too bad you couldn't find a stock WRX hood. They're aluminum and super light.

It is aluminum :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Dagen H posted:

Body yes, chassis no (other than the rear brushguard). Purchased with a rod knock, engine now seized.

AI has the best mod :allears:

Oh, hey, new thread title. I wondered why I had this thread bookmarked.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Subaru update: injector #4 is stuck* WFO, flooding the crankcase and hydrolocking the engine.

*Either that, or it's picking up a continuous signal from somewhere whenever the key is on.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Dagen H posted:

Subaru update: injector #4 is stuck* WFO, flooding the crankcase and hydrolocking the engine.

*Either that, or it's picking up a continuous signal from somewhere whenever the key is on.

I haven't had a subaru but I've heard it can be a nightmare to get to things like that. Can you pull it out? And if not can you take the wires off and put a multimeter on it and compare it to the other injectors to see if that's the case?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I don't know if you're still concerned about it, but the easiest way I've found to change the thermostat on the Chevy V6 is to pull the throttle body. EDIT: and the crossover heat shield.

Left Ventricle fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 1, 2020

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Minnesota Mixup posted:

I haven't had a subaru but I've heard it can be a nightmare to get to things like that. Can you pull it out? And if not can you take the wires off and put a multimeter on it and compare it to the other injectors to see if that's the case?

Haven't investigated yet. Trust me, you'll hear about it.

Left Ventricle posted:

I don't know if you're still concerned about it, but the easiest way I've found to change the thermostat on the Chevy V6 is to pull the throttle body. EDIT: and the crossover heat shield.

I'll take that under advisement, but I'll probably end up pulling the intake to access the rear spark plugs and VCG.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Dagen H posted:

I'll take that under advisement, but I'll probably end up pulling the intake to access the rear spark plugs and VCG.

Ugh, I forgot about the Aztek being on the minivan platform so half the engine is buried under the cowl.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Dagen H posted:

it's picking up a continuous signal from somewhere whenever the key is on.

12VDC on both 3 & 4. Now what?

E: I should note that the "Air Assist Control Valve" also cycles rapidly with the key on.

E2: plugged it back in to see if it's still cycling (it's not), and...injector voltage went away. Hrm.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 1, 2020

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Dagen H posted:

12VDC on both 3 & 4. Now what?

E: I should note that the "Air Assist Control Valve" also cycles rapidly with the key on.

E2: plugged it back in to see if it's still cycling (it's not), and...injector voltage went away. Hrm.

There's a wiring harness bundle that runs partially through one of the fenders, but I thought it was the driver's side. I don't remember what signals are on it, but I'd be surprised if the injector harness was - that should all be laced inside the intake manifold.

Did it get pinched in the hit?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
The only wiring near the hit is the RF lighting and the ABS, and neither harness appears damaged. I checked for connections that may have been left loose after engine removal, didn't find anything.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Hey, remember this?

Dagen H posted:

When your Impreza is leakier than your NA Miata.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Look for a hole - those kinds of fet blow out on Nissans sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMqLEjbK4FY

Little bit of isopropyl alcohol will probably clean up the worst of that. ECUs are fun!

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 3, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Any manufacturer that puts the ECU on or very near the floor needs a brick to the forehead. This is why.
Mazda put the ECU in the passenger footwell of the RX-7 FB and FC, but at least it's on the sloping part, and stood off from the floor 10mm or so.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Subaru put it in the same location, but hid it under carpeting with excellent wicking properties.

Or the cowl is leaking. Or both.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Honda did the same on the 2nd gen Integra, which was very prone to cowl leaks.

At least the ECU was water resistant, and on the sloped part of the floorboard. Mine took a bath so many times from water pouring out from under the dash every time it rained, but the ECU never flinched. Probably because it was never submerged..

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Consider adding a conformal coating if you think it will happen again.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ah, yes, didn’t think about the carpet holding the water and just making it nice and swampy.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

That's what killed the tcu in my stupid B5. It's on the passenger side floor, flat, and the drain in the cowl under the battery clogs really easy. I will die hating that car

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Dry ECU, car runs. Go figure.

I guess I didn't tell the full story; Friday evening I changed the oil & filter and put in new spark plugs, thinking the problem had gone away. Crank, no start. No spark. Crank some more, and it hydrolocked again.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 7, 2020

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
6-week update: after a cascading series of annoyances (including a steady misfire on cyl. 1 and the reappearance of water on the rear floorboards), Middle Son dumped the Subie. He's replacing it with an '02 Jetta TDI. I'm not sure how I feel.

VVV It's a big step sideways, isn't it

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 21, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'd feel about the same :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It'll sound about the same because a diesel and gasoline engine tend to have a lot of similarities at 0 rpm.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It'll sound about the same because a diesel and gasoline engine tend to have a lot of similarities at 0 rpm.

Ah, so it really is a VW.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
its_happening.gif

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I no longer believe this is a lateral move.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

EZ Fix.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

I no longer believe this is a lateral move.

165K-mile GLI with leather, 100% rust-free, 50+ mpg, $1400. Dad approves.

Came with OEM replacement fender and bumper cover, as well as a pile of Mann filter cartridges & some TDI-specific tools.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

STR approves too. And it sounds like the PO took care of it, given the box of quality filters and tools.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
#1 Son texting his Duramax-brodozer-driving redneck cousin:

:v:: Hey [Middle Son] just bought a turbodiesel
:banjo:: Sweet, what he get
:v:: Jetta
:banjo:: That don't count

:allears:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
VW electrical gremlins? Don't know what you mean there, Chief.

*DRLs remain lit despite the key and headlamp switch being removed*

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Dagen H posted:

VW electrical gremlins? Don't know what you mean there, Chief.

*DRLs remain lit despite the key and headlamp switch being removed*

Try removing the power window switch.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Or draining the coolant.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

bolind posted:

Or draining the coolant.
From the power window switch?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

No, that's where you bleed the cooling system. You have to drain it from the taillights.

Try removing the power window switch.

I thought that was a Mopar thing.

disconnect the ignition switch and report back...

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

STR posted:

disconnect the ignition switch and report back...

Problem already solved, I pulled the fuse out of the big weird terminal box atop the battery (pic later).

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Dagen H posted:

Problem already solved, I pulled the fuse out of the big weird terminal box atop the battery (pic later).

One or two of the flat metal fuses in that box are for the cooling fans. The connections sometimes get corroded and melt the box when the resistance goes up so might just want to check them to prevent that. A lot of people would toss the cover and that might be what causes it so if yours is still there it might be ok but easy thing to check

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Hey man,

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Dagen H posted:

No pic because the Jetta has been mothballed in favor of the Miata. Sounds like Pipkin knows what's up.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

So, so glad I live where it (usually) doesn't rust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DFW started using calcium chloride ages ago.

..... not that it actually snows often though. And when it does, they dump calcium chloride on the road. Which melts it juuuuuust enough to turn it into pothole city once it refreezes. :argh:

You remember this shitshow, right? I was out doing delivery for 14+ hour days during that shitshow..