Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

pixaal posted:

Take the eye guys hand and attempt to drag both of you in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

pixaal posted:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

pixaal posted:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

There's a moment's struggle to reach Eye Guy's hand, but you at last meet his grip. It's kind of smooth and vaguely waxy, but he's strong enough to hold you in place.

"I'll pull, you try to drag yourself along the ground as best you can!"

A devilish series of thoughts enter your mind. Why is this guy calling the shots? Who knows where he's trying to lead me? I'm in control of the situation. Screw this guy, basically, for making my problems his own in the first place!

Eye Guy was complaining: "I'm having a lot of trouble, you're going to have to pull yourself more!"

Time to come with me, Eye Guy. I'll take you where I'M going. Wherever the Squiv that is.

His voice was growing more desperate now: "My heels are slipping! Are you... are you PUSHING?"

You are finally tugged free of the ground and you tumble through the vortex, Eye Guy tumbling and cursing after you.

Hello old friend.

Do I know you?

If you checked your inventory you would know / there are many useful things in there

Where am I right now? All I saw were a bunch of crazy patterns and lights--

Relax old chum / I'm here to guide you remember / You can trust me

You do feel much calmer, suddenly, listening to the shrunken head's wise-sounding voice.

I'm pleased I can bring you to this state of peace

Oh! I didn't realize you could see my internal monologue like that, sorry...

Not to worry / I see many things others do not

That's cool. So am I stuck here?

Oh goodness no / you are about to be dumped out of the portal

Oka--

You feel yourself sail a short ways and flop to the ground. The floor is smooth, but soft and yielding. It almost feels like it's full of liquid pockets. There's a droning in the air.

It's hard to see. The only light is the glimmer from the portal, and some soft blue lights off into the distance, some forward-left and some forward-right. Turning around, there's also a glowing blue light that's harder to see, but it looks to be way up high, possibly out of your reach. Again, it's very hard to to tell in here. It's dark dark dark.

As you walk a way in the darkness, hoping to see something else, the portal dumps out another person. Probably Eye Guy. Immediately the portal snaps shut with the whipping of jagged metal.

1.) Stay and hash it out with Eye Guy.
2.) Follow the blue lights to the left
3.) Follow the blue lights to the right
4.) Something entirely different. (User input)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
4) Great idea, Shrunken Head Buddy! Let's check our inventory for a present for Eye Guy, as a form of apology. I'm sure our semi-independent motile containment sac
holds all manner of delicious foods and nifty gadgets-!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Offer him this thing.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Offer him this thing.

And also say "Did you speak to my old friend in there too?"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Offer him this thing.

...this is a level beyond.

My God, the time and effort I could waste potential here is limitless

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tree Bucket posted:

4) Great idea, Shrunken Head Buddy! Let's check our inventory for a present for Eye Guy, as a form of apology. I'm sure our semi-independent motile containment sac
holds all manner of delicious foods and nifty gadgets-!

You decide to heed the wise words that the shrunken head beamed into your brain while you were in transit through a metal monster's portal... it seems only logical.

By the way, where the hell is that Orthemka? You didn't see it when you flew in. Well, you didn't see anything, and you still don't. It's dark.

Well, that's only slightly unnerving. And darkness also makes looking through your inventory pack a bit difficult, which is why it's fortunate you immediately find:

A gleamrod! And it seems to have plenty reaction left in it.

A bottle of liquor. It smells vile, and tempting.

A moistbread wrapped in waxed paper

A whistlehorn. You play the whistlehorn somewhat well, actually.

The weird thing is, you feel like you know what this is. It's a tool. It definitely reads something, and that something that it reads is through the roof, but you can't...

You can't remember the name of it. You think it started with a W. Why is so much so unclear?

How did you even end up at that cliff's edge in the first place?

Small questions. Right now you've stumbled across some sort of... pulsating rock.

Tunicate posted:

Offer him this thing.

Or is it a... fruit? It's so captivating to watch. vvvwwwrrrmmm vvvwwwrrrmmm

You shake your head. Enough of this. So far there's just a bunch of food and weird stuff in your bag, and you didn't even find the shrunken head. You must have have just been tripping off the portal. That's only logical.

You still feel a bit abandoned, though.

You go back through the dark, holding your gleamrod aloft, and find Eye Guy.

"So what the Squiv?" he says.

"Sorry I pulled you through with me. Do you want a pulsing... thing? It's only fair."

Eye Guy purses his lips and glares at you, which is somehow worse than his usual eye/mouth situation. "I'll pass for now, thank you. Just-- Just promise me that wasn't on purpose."

"Why would I ever do that to you, Eye Guy?"

"..."

Ha, whoops. "I never got the--"

"It's Raggart." snaps Eye Guy.

Yikes.

You and your pissed-off companion can see a little bit better, but you're definitely in a cavernous area with no lighting. All you can see is the patch of floor illuminated by your gleamrod; it's definitely composed of firm pockets of fluid, sort of a bluish color. Very weird.

It seems the only lights are the blue lights you saw before, to the right and to the left. Everything else is just--not to belabor it--dark.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

poke the lights with your gleamrod

At least the platypi are still normal

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 8, 2019

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Tunicate posted:

Make.... make it stop

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Looks like it's mid-painful-puke.

PS, Tunicate could I get a short rundown of how you made the gifs, if it's not too much an imposition?

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 8, 2019

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Mmmm moistbread

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Have a drink with eyeguy. You've been through a lot together and it's a good way to let bygones be bygones.

Edit then when he's drunk, knock him out with the rod, steal his stuff then run away

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Brawnfire posted:

Looks like it's mid-painful-puke.

PS, Tunicate could I get a short rundown of how you made the gifs, if it's not too much an imposition?

I'm not sure what software they are using but maybe I can help you find something that will if they don't see this.

Looks like an additive dissolve transition between 2 images likely an image and a second image that was 1 or 2 generations off the previous image from the site. That one is played backwards after the full transition so it's likely image A dissolve to image B copy that reverse that and tack it on to the end of the first one set it to repeat without deleting the duplicate frames (this creates the pause). There may even be more than 2 still frames but the gif doesn't looks like it's at a low FPS. There's probably a free web based image editor that does all this.

there are other transition types that might look good for this thread, for the love of god don't star wipe.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I just go into alter genome, tweak a slider a little tiny bit, click "apply adjustment", and repeat until i have a transform.

Then I copypaste each of the images into photoshop as layers in an image, open the animation toolbar, click to expand the incredibly tiny hidden menu on the upper right part of the bar, "make frames from layers", then select all, copy frames, reverse, prune out the duplicated start and end frames, then adjust timing.

If the animation seems janky at that point ill go back and add a few more frames to smooth things out

Theres probably a simpler and better workflow but this works well enouh for me.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Thanks so much, you guys! I'll poke around and see what fun stuff I can do.

This thread is weirdly inspiring for being about a hosed-up incomprehensible nightmare image producer.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Brawnfire posted:

Thanks so much, you guys! I'll poke around and see what fun stuff I can do.

This thread is weirdly inspiring for being about a hosed-up incomprehensible nightmare image producer.

Thank you for being the life of the thread. This is great

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

It's a fun thing to play around with but it's hard to know what's worth sharing because everything is bizarre and strange. The posting a little story was a good step, and the full CYOA is genius. It not only uses the tool for something else, you need skill to try and make something that will represent the strange things players are trying to do.

Maybe there's something beyond where the players are helping to make items that will be used. I'm not that great with it, but I am pretty good at coming up with stupid stuff for the PC to do.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Over There posted:

Thank you for being the life of the thread. This is great

Thanks for introducing the thing to me in the first place! I actually felt a little guilty sort of "jacking" the thread. Like I said earlier something about these images--especially with the descriptions--loving crack me up, and I figured I needed to stop hoping the thread wouldn't disappear and Be The Change.

Also it's been good for me, I have a book I've been working on and this has given me a much-needed incentive to sit down and write, knowing that people might actually be waiting. Nobody is waiting for my book but my wife.

pixaal posted:

It's a fun thing to play around with but it's hard to know what's worth sharing because everything is bizarre and strange. The posting a little story was a good step, and the full CYOA is genius. It not only uses the tool for something else, you need skill to try and make something that will represent the strange things players are trying to do.

Maybe there's something beyond where the players are helping to make items that will be used. I'm not that great with it, but I am pretty good at coming up with stupid stuff for the PC to do.

I'm all for collaboration, so if people want to post or PM me items/creatures/settings they bred I'll be happy to fit them in somewhere or the other! Nothing is set in stone and there's vision in every one of y'all.

And keep posting your own stuff, I'm keeping my updates to once a day so there's breathing room for other contributions.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You can get pretty decent cellphones by combining vending machines with monitors. By sliding around other parameters, you can change what the screen displays.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
those are obviously complex year 2999 vacuum tubes

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tunicate posted:

As you stand undecided on which way to go, you experimentally prod at the lights with your gleamrod. Despite your effort, the lights steadfastly remain in the distance.

"Um..." spoke up Eye Guy. Oh Squiv you've forgotten his name already. R-r-atter? Ratterly? "I think those are distant lights."

"I know." you say, enigmatically.

"It looks a bit like two corridors. They split up there a few spans ahead, and then gently diverge into the distance."

You nod, thoughtfully. "Which one should we go down?"

"What, you want me to choose?"

You shrug. "It really won't matter in the long run."

Eye Guy looks at you strangely. "Alright. Let's go left. I'm just picking at random, though."

"Left it is." You are walking down a corridor of indeterminate length. You strike a leisurely pace and tuck your gleamrod under your arm. Your hands free, you slip the bottle of liquor out of your bag and pluck the cork from its nesting place. The mouth of the bottle screams ethanol, and you smother it with a long kiss. The liquor tastes like a hot cupboard full of nail polish remover. Growling through the burn like a slapped soil-tiger, you proffer the bottle to your walking companion.

ilmucche posted:

Have a drink with eyeguy. You've been through a lot together and it's a good way to let bygones be bygones.

Edit then when he's drunk, knock him out with the rod, steal his stuff then run away

Eye Guy eyes the bottle warily. "No, thank you." he says.

drat it. "Come on, it won't hurt you."

"It'll get me drunk, and I'd like to keep my head about me."

You squeeze your gleamrod in your fist. You could just--

"Sweet... Holy... Firruv of Westbells" says Eye Guy, stopping suddenly.

The corridor had opened into a cavern lit by blue light so gradually you had barely noticed it. You are on a metal platform that ends halfway up an unfathomably huge chamber, glowing blue in every direction you look. The platform continues to the LEFT and to the RIGHT

You can smell the tang of ozone in your nose. You look up to see a massive, branching structure bearing black discus-shapes like a tree bears fruit. The black discs, each larger than you were tall, coruscated with powerful electrical energy. The branches waved slowly in the space enclosed by the chamber's glowing walls.

"I feel we're in the heart of something large." says Eye Guy. "And I have a sick feeling I know what it is."

1.) I still want to whack him over the head and take his stuff.
2.) Ask Eye Guy about his hunch.
3.) Suggest further investigation to the LEFT
4.) Suggest further investigation to the RIGHT

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
2. And why not provide Eye Guy with some helpful thinking music upon the whistlehorn?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

2. And why not provide Eye Guy with some helpful thinking music upon the whistlehorn?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
2 & toot

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Tree Bucket posted:

Do this but wonder towards this odd vat while playing and listening; Peer inside I swear I saw something move in there.

edit:
I was playing around with the tools and made... this animation, it reminds me of some weird pirate mutant or maybe a White Walker. I'm not sure it'll be useful in the CYOA but it's interesting and wanted to share

pixaal fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 9, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

pixaal posted:

I was playing around with the tools and made... this animation, it reminds me of some weird pirate mutant or maybe a White Walker. I'm not sure it'll be useful in the CYOA but it's interesting and wanted to share

Shield Boy is the perfect genetically engineered supersoldier. All flailing fists then bulletproof turtleshell the moment you shoot at him. A one man testudo.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

simplefish posted:

Shield Boy is the perfect genetically engineered supersoldier. All flailing fists then bulletproof turtleshell the moment you shoot at him. A one man testudo.

The base image is actually a rooster (cock) crossed with an eel. There's no turtle in there, I do see where a turtle shell could be though. This thing is just fun to use. I made the gif after getting a head like area after adding a website to the mix, it's basically just more of whatever website is being added over 7 frames. Their source for website must be strange.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 9, 2019

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh drat, I just noticed we've gone gold! Keep up the good work, everybody!

Pizza party 4:30 in the meeting room, my treat!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

pixaal posted:

Do this but wonder towards this odd vat while playing and listening; Peer inside I swear I saw something move in there.

edit:

actually this is a Rad Son, you can tell because of the extreme rad-itude and attitude. Also part alligator.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Brawnfire posted:

y-yum
yum. i, yeah.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

Still looks nicer than most of the things from the old pizza thread.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

2) ask eyeguy about his hunch. Then ask him about his sick feeling.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ilmucche posted:

the sick feeling comes from eating that pizza

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

ilmucche posted:

Tree Bucket posted:

"I feel we're in the heart of something large." says Eye Guy. "And I have a sick feeling I know what it is."

"Ok, what is it?"

"You know of the Constructors, yes?"

"That's whoever made those weird-looking giant structures in the Blasted Lands, right?"

"Exactly."

That liquor is hitting your brain hard. Your face feels sort of numb. You fish your whistlehorn out of the rucksack, purse your lips, and begin to blow a jaunty tune. It sounds like a tiny, worm-sized brass section of an orchestra playing harmonic seventh chords, plus a high-pitched melodic whistle that really just beats the crap out everyone's eardrums. You idly wander about the platform as you play, peering over the railings at the chasm below. There's all sorts of globs, floating around like you're inside a big lava lamp.

"What are you doing?" Eye Guy interjects loudly over the deafening music.

"I'm listening, I can hear you. Keep talking. You're saying we're inside one of these weird constructs." You play "Morani Maiden in the Orchard", a song that you love because it sounds tenderly beautiful on the whistlehorn. When sung, it was a bar song about feeling up a Morani maiden in an orchard, as the title suggests. The dichotomy pleases you.

"Yes, that's... that's what I'm saying." responds Eye Guy when you finally finish and begin purging the spit-valves.

"What in R'asadula Uli are you idiots doing?" says a new voice. You and Eye Guy turn to see a strange-looking woman with pink hair and what looked like some sort of metallic headband.

Behind her stood four other weirdos, all looking very aberrant in your opinion.

"I said, 'what are you idiots doing'?" repeated the woman, looking very cross.

1.) "Playing the hornwhistle. Do you care to join?"
2.) "Depends. Who the Squiv is asking?"
3.) "Get out of our faces or we're going to have trouble."
4.) "Thank Squiv you came! We're lost and looking for a way out!"
5.) "If this structure is yours, my apologies. We'll be on our way forthwith."
6.) Other: (Player Entry)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Oh poo poo, eyeguy's 4 sisters and their pet dog

6: "Did you say 'What are you idiots doing'? Sorry, I don't know that one. But you hum it and I'll play it!"

simplefish fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
1, combined with simplefish's answer

---

Nobody knows where they came from.

They simply appeared one day, all over the globe.

Even in the middle of the ocean.

You couldn't even get up close to investigate them.

Every time you tried, something....warped, and you were simply on the other side of it.

Nothing ever went in, and nothing ever came out.

Though at night, they did light up, as if a fire raged inside.

Otherwise they stood silent and still, leaving us all to wonder.