Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
The old Dallas thread is locked for archiving. Even though it's the "winter" season here, some of us are still riding and commuting almost daily.

There's a motorcycle camping and ADV event being held in Lewisville on 12/15 - 12/16, anyone interested?

https://www.motorcycleadvshow.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Well, I'm only talking to myself in here, but I'm going to be gone for the next week and figured I'd say it now.

Merry Christmas you bastards.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Next weekend is the motorcycle show. Let's go fondle the bikes we've been reading about.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
And the show out here in Dallas gets worse every year. The only manufacturers to show up this year was Indian, Honda, Harley, and Kawasaki.

expensive jeans
Jun 20, 2003

And Suzuki. What does Yamaha have against Texas? :smith:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

expensive jeans posted:

And Suzuki. What does Yamaha have against Texas? :smith:

I don't know but I was hoping to see the Niken.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Anyone planning on going to the US round of MotoGP this year?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
For the DFW area KTM is having a demo day at Cresson on March 3rd. Details can be obtained from Grapevine Powersports. (formerly Grapevine Kawasaki).

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
MotoLiberty in Dallas/Farmers Branch is holding an event again.

This SUNDAY, February 24th, we will have a special opening of the store at 2:30. We are hosting the 2nd Annual Vintage Smash UP event at Moto Liberty. This year, due to the excellent weather forecast, we’re stepping it up a notch and bringing in The Pete Barbeck Band for some blues/rock LIVE MUSIC. Audrey’s Italian Beef and Hot Dogs will be served, too.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Skreemer posted:

For the DFW area KTM is having a demo day at Cresson on March 3rd. Details can be obtained from Grapevine Powersports. (formerly Grapevine Kawasaki).

This has been canceled due to the weather. There is another one in April at COTA:
https://www.ktm.com/us/events/us/ride-orange-street-demo-austin/

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
There was a demo day this weekend for Triumph. I got to ride a Scrambler 1200XE, plenty of power and grunt, but holy hell did the whole bike feel heavy. Usually when you get up to speed you get the "weight disappears" thing, but this bike was heavy in the corners, or even just weaving side to side in a straight line.

I'm going to see if I can hit the KTM demo at COTA this month.(next week)

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

gimme your powerparts card if you get one :D

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Hey, I already have a Duke390 I need to shop for, and I'm in the market for a sport touring machine and I am looking at the SuperDukeGT.

On a side note, if anyone wants to go to COTA for the GP and does not have a place to stay, I just got a room and am willing to give up floor space for free. (Yes, I decided this at almost "last minute" and I'll just buy general entry tickets for each day, the good part is I got a room at the airport hotel just a few miles from the track for a reasonable price.)

Here's the thing, do I ride the KTM 390 Duke down the highway and take 4 hours, or go the "long route" (avoid highways and tolls) and take 5.5+ hours? Wouldn't be the longest trip I've taken on the 390, but that's a lot of hours on that seat... Maybe I should just take the truck...

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 4, 2019

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I vote highway + podcasts. that's what I did riding down from I5 from portland to san francisco before my far better ride up 101

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Just popping in to say I am still alive but health keeps me from riding as much as I’d like. Two more months of treatment and I should be done.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kuffs posted:

Just popping in to say I am still alive but health keeps me from riding as much as I’d like. Two more months of treatment and I should be done.

Let us know when you're ready, you know we'll ride.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Anyone in the DFW area, MotoLiberty is having a sale:

LOST OUR LEASE SALE
Starts Saturday
June 8th
10:00 to 6:00
(You’ll just have to come by the store for details.)

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
:rip: I hope they have another location lined up. I’ll miss those guys.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Well I'll report back, I'm going after work.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Wasn't any better than their normal sales. 10% off everything with the usual tables of random stuff they found in the back at 50% off.
They are attempting to move to a place in Addison, but the deal is falling short because the A/C and air handlers at the new place are dead and the landlords are dicking about.
They claim they'll have it sorted in a couple of weeks.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I got my first bike last Summer, about 10 years after all my bike riding friends got rid of theirs. I'm having a blast with it on my own, but it would be more fun to go around with some other people on occasion. Any people/groups in around that might be welcoming of a relative newbie? Don't care what they ride, as long as they don't have anything against Ninja 300s.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
No hate in this crew. I think a lot of us have embraced our inner dentist and bought BMW’s tho. I think the one who would be ashamed is you

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

RVT posted:

I got my first bike last Summer, about 10 years after all my bike riding friends got rid of theirs. I'm having a blast with it on my own, but it would be more fun to go around with some other people on occasion. Any people/groups in around that might be welcoming of a relative newbie? Don't care what they ride, as long as they don't have anything against Ninja 300s.

I've got a KTM Duke 390 for full-on self-loathing of buying a KTM hand grenade, small displacement, naked bike. I know some roads, we don't get together as much as we used to, but I've led a few rides. If you want to make a run for some corners let me know.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
All motorcycles are good motorcycles in my eyes. Just don't make me sit on your 20k bike, I wouldn't want to drop it.

Down to do some riding this weekend. I'm south of park lane right off 75. I'm a little gun shy on highways still, so let me know when and where you'd be wanting to meet up - hopefully it's not super far out. I have PMs or if there's another way we should chat let me know.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
If you want corners and country riding you need get out a bit. A good chunk of us live in the North/Far North Burbs (Plano). I'm up for tooling about downtown a bit as I don't really get down there often if you want to stick close.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Yeah, if you're willing, maybe riding around downtown would be good the first time out.

Got the bike back from being serviced this week, then it started leaking oil. So it's headed back to the dealer. I expect it back tomorrow.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I've got things going on tomorrow, but Sunday I'm free and clear. Give me a place and time to meet you at that's easy for you to get to, and we can figure it out from there.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
How about - 1pm Sunday at Glencoe Park right off 75, just south of Mockingbird? South edge of the park on Martel Ave is lined with trees, I'll be in the shade. Provided it's not raining.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Works for me, I might bring a co-worker along too.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Not sure what it's like up there, but it's raining down here. :/

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
That's unfortunate. It's been trying to rain but hasn't yet. We can do it another day, I'm free most Sundays.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
It stopped. Just looked at the radar and looks like it was fairly isolated. Your call. I'd just hate for you to get over here and have it start pouring.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I've got rain gear in the tail bag. I'll see you at the park at 1pm. At the least I'll make the run, and get some lunch.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Sounds good.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
That was really fun, thanks for coming down. I'm getting better on the highway and I'll make it up north soon. We can ride some actual interesting roads.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Moto Liberty is open again in Addison:

15402 Midway Rd.
Addison,TX 75001

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Who would you guys recommend for the Basic Rider Course around here?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

FBS posted:

Who would you guys recommend for the Basic Rider Course around here?

Unfortunately, the folks I normally recommend lost their practice ranges. I'll have to check and see if they got a new range. (One was at the Collin Creek mall in Plano and the other was at the mall in far north dallas/farmers branch, the malls are gone or mostly shut down and the ranges aren't used anymore.)

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Skreemer posted:

Unfortunately, the folks I normally recommend lost their practice ranges. I'll have to check and see if they got a new range. (One was at the Collin Creek mall in Plano and the other was at the mall in far north dallas/farmers branch, the malls are gone or mostly shut down and the ranges aren't used anymore.)

Txmt.org is re-opening at a new location, and lowered their pricing from 250, to 185. They are up in Plano so it might be a haul for you to get there, but as an ex-MSF coach, and if their staff hasn't changed, I'd recommend them. They are also closed September and October so there's time to decide and or find another school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Yo, just wanted to tell the thread that my treatment is over. Doc’s calling it a success. I now return to my regular rate of decay into entropy.

I need to dust off the bike and get it serviced. (I’m just gonna pay BMW to do it). But once I get my poo poo back together I’ll probably be doing some short rides to get my skill back up.