Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Game Awards is the premiere awards program that recognizes excellence and achievement in the field of electronic entertainment. The Oscars, except with 1/100th the budget, more corporate sponsorship, and you won't know who any of these people are. But there might be a few new game trailers and there will certainly be a lot of largely unintentional cringe comedy so you may as well watch and root for your favorite recent AAA releases, token indie darlings, and edgy internet weirdos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Is this a good thread to talk about how there will never be a good "games" ceremony (like the Oscars) because there isn't an adversarial press, just enthusiasts and access whores?

Gamergate's greatest crime wasn't chasing women out of their homes and threatening their bodily sanctity because they talked about a video game, it was poisoning the well for actual criticism of the extended PR arm that passes for games journalism nowadays.

Actually no, it was the chasing women from their homes thing, that was the worst.

But making it impossible to talk about games journalism comes in a distant second!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Easy Diff posted:

Is this a good thread to talk about how there will never be a good "games" ceremony (like the Oscars) because there isn't an adversarial press, just enthusiasts and access whores?

Gamergate's greatest crime wasn't chasing women out of their homes and threatening their bodily sanctity because they talked about a video game, it was poisoning the well for actual criticism of the extended PR arm that passes for games journalism nowadays.

Actually no, it was the chasing women from their homes thing, that was the worst.

But making it impossible to talk about games journalism comes in a distant second!

The BAFTA game awards are a nice event because they treat it like any other BAFTA ceremony and more offbeat stuff wins all the time.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Game Awards are unironically better than the Oscars in every way

And it's still bad

I would watch and make fun of it if it wasn't starting at like 3AM so I guess I'll look at the cool new games in the morning without having the sit through the bad parts

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Insurrectionist posted:

Game Awards are unironically better than the Oscars in every way

Anthropomorphic safety razors attending Oscars: 0
Anthropomorphic safety razors attending Game Awards: 1

It's true.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 6, 2018

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I can't believe i'm staying up for that crap

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

This will serve as fine entertainment until Smash unlocks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I looked up the last TGA and it was three hours(!) long. I'll just catch the new trailers in the morning, I'm going to bed.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

exquisite tea posted:

I looked up the last TGA and it was three hours(!) long. I'll just catch the new trailers in the morning, I'm going to bed.

goddamn its at 2 am here, yikees

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Rumor has it Joel McHale is coming back to poo poo all over everything.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1070548958638829568

Geoff will never learn.

Or rather he does learn, he knows that Trending Gamer is a cursed title but he cannot deviate from his mission of wanting games to be accepted in the way he wants.

Like I would have written "wanting games to be mainstream or taken seriously like movies and TV and books" but like...games are already mainstream. Games have already made it. But for years Geoff has built up and believed video games need SO BADLY their own Oscars and industry stardom industry that even when it turns out all those institutions and industries are pretty poo poo anyway and everyone can see that, he can't change his self-imposed destiny as Games Master.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
hope to see a heated gamer moment on stage

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

What time est is this?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Real hurthling! posted:

What time est is this?

8:30. There's a map on the awards site but because it's some kind of fancy CSS construct instead of an image it can't easily be copied and embedded here.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1070548958638829568

Geoff will never learn.

Or rather he does learn, he knows that Trending Gamer is a cursed title but he cannot deviate from his mission of wanting games to be accepted in the way he wants.

Like I would have written "wanting games to be mainstream or taken seriously like movies and TV and books" but like...games are already mainstream. Games have already made it. But for years Geoff has built up and believed video games need SO BADLY their own Oscars and industry stardom industry that even when it turns out all those institutions and industries are pretty poo poo anyway and everyone can see that, he can't change his self-imposed destiny as Games Master.
if he wants games to be accepted he should just wait 5 years

https://twitter.com/Boogie2988/status/1010581891081228290

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Viewtiful Jew posted:

he knows that Trending Gamer is a cursed title

He actually does know this, so well that that category was renamed "content creator of the year" (nominees: Dr. Lupo, Myth, Ninja, Pokimane, Willyrex).

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
give trending gamer to soulja boy

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

remember the year they announced no man's sky and some random telltale licensed games in one night, and also reggie came in with a metroid pin to drop cranky kong while deflecting all of geoff's begs for a bigger drop

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
this year it's going to be racist somehow, I can feel it, Fate is at work.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Ninja's gonna win it, because the key to breaking the trending gamer curse is to give it to someone we already know is a weird bigot

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Wrestlepig posted:

“The winner of this years Trending Gamer award will now do a karaoke rendition of Lil Dickies Freaky Friday!”

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Wrestlepig posted:

https://youtu.be/CQL37wcgI6k

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

idgi

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gamer culture is an abomination and that skinny dude who was a fat slob is really bad.

is something worthwill in this crap so i might watch? kojima? cyberpunk 2077?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm gonna probably miss the first hour of this by going to a family dinner so you guys better liveblog extra hard so i can keep up

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Why doesnt boogie shave his awful beard

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
save us hydrobot

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kurtofan posted:

Why doesnt boogie shave his awful beard

He'd look fatter in headshots

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
he probably also has no neck

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Which internet gaming superstar will say the N-word or endorse white nationalism live on stage this year?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Mercury Crusader posted:

Which internet gaming superstar will say the N-word or endorse white nationalism live on stage this year?

Did this happen?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

is this the thing where Joel McHale dumps on nerds for 3 hours

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

man nurse posted:

Did this happen?

Not on stage, but there is a tendency for winners of the Trending Gamer to show their entire rear end shortly after winning. Boogie, for instance, apparently needs to say something blazingly stupid every month or two, like some good came out of Nazi Holocaust experiments or something like that.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i am gonna eat a ham sandwich and watch some Awards For Videogames

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope I win Trending Gamer this year

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Mercury Crusader posted:

All of them

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Boogie "the holocaust was bad, but" 2988

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My wife is making me watch the game awards with her unironically ah gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I cannot watch an event like this straight, I need a riff track otherwise no. Here's a highlight from last year, I need to find a new stream since she is no longer at Waypoint
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzUznHT6TDE&t=6978s

• Locked thread