Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
This is great. Like seeing your stuff.
The last games workshop 40k podcast talked a bit about sculpting. One of the guys suggested attempting to copy models you like. I'm a giant vampire bat shy of a unit and I'd rather try sculpting at least the head myself to fill out the unit.
I plan on using greenstuff for the head, and if the bits I have don't work well with it I will do the body as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Put together an armature, I plan on going a little less cartoony on my scupt so the proportions are different.

Started on the face as well, using a GIS vampire bat skull for visual reference.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

I added the teeth in and an eye and a bit of nose.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
So far I've used some of these these:
https://www.amazon.com/Hawk-12-Piece-Stainless-Steel-Carvers/dp/B000E305E4

And then some cheap rubber brushes that look like clay shapers I picked up at a craft store. I haven't done enough of this to have favorites yet.

I definitely over-built the armature. Was trying to add some mass and and tie separate wires together. got carried away. I may be able to strip back some wire, especially on its left wing.
I checked out the Patrick Keith blog today, shoulda done that before starting! There is some great info in there.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Yep, he's got some great in process work. One of his tips I found useful is sticking a piece of blister foam in a water dish to use like a sponge so tools aren't too wet, but wet enough. Also I want to try mixing a tiny bit of Fimo into my green stuff to see if it will help smoothing and feathering onto cured work. I'm finding the straight green stuff a little gummy.

Did ears, lips, and eyelids. Also stripped down extra wire on armature. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Sliced this guys ears off and moved them further down his face, I like it better. Still needs cleanup.

Also filled out the body some and added a couple more wires for the wing ribs

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
It's hard to tell the scale on that mini, but the hand looks good meeple.

Added some fur to bat face and roughed in arms. The fur texture was surprisingly easy to pull off. I just kind of dabbed at it with edge of a tool.

Tried out adding a little Fimo polymer clay to my green stuff and I like the way it kind of relaxes the putty.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Filled out the abdomen and did an exposed spine

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
I'm kind of making this up as I go along, but the spine took about an hour to hour and a half. It would be faster second time around.
I rolled up a tube or snake with my fingers and stuck it on the back.
Then with a flat edged tool squashed the left and right sides down a bit, leaving a ridge down the middle the along the length of the spine.
Next I separated the spine into segments with a thin edge.
From there it was smooshing the edges of the segments to the approximate shape of the bony knobs sticking out, which accounted for the majority of time spent.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Put the tail bones on and bulked the legs and right arm out a bit. worked in some pelvis ridges. I also put some fur on shoulders and back.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Filled in the wing ribs. I ran out of time so rushed a bit and they're a little lumpy.

Any suggestions on how I do the big flat wing sections? It seems like they would be difficult to attach and form while they're soft.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Thanks for the link, that helped.

Made paper templates to fit close to the size of wing gaps

Ended up using plastic card protectors for the wings its stiff enough to hold shape and still thinner than the plasticard I have.

Here its basically welded on with green stuff. I'll let it cure before filling the rest of the gaps and covering the plastic.

Also I made a little spoon tool. hammered a paperclip flat and stuck it in 3/8 in dowel rod. Saw it on the xenite blog.

the other end has a bit of sharpened paperclip, but I think i will find a needle to put in it.
I used the spoon end a little, liked how it works, seems like it will be great for fine detail.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Sculpted over top side of wings. Tried getting some stretched look around edges and put some texture on with various tools.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Thanks!
Covered the bottom of wings and worked on the torso a bit.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
There is a guy on youtube named Tom Mason who has a bunch of videos. I watched a few, they seem helpful.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Went in and detailed all the finger/wing joints. Also scalloped the wings a bit with a razor blade.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Hedningen posted:

Always try sculpting - it’s fun!

Below is an album of my recent work that’s kinda rough but whatever. I’m getting slowly better.

Here’s a link.

Projects include a random magical girl, finishing up my weird hawk-knight lady, and a vague attempt at a Bloodborn-inspired hunter that is turning out chunkier than I want, but still is fun to play with.

I should sculpt some goblins.

The feathers on hawk knight lady are looking good.

I got back to this bat. Used the flight stand from an inceptor space marine to mount him and did the fur on the body. Mostly down to the feet left.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Hey, I'm in! And you should participate too.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Awesome, got my pics.
Gonna do a few sketches to figure out a plan.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Sketched out my first idea.

Swashbuckler wolf taking off running, smoking his pipe.

Hope to come up with a couple more.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Meeple posted:

I need to either do cloth and then immediately let it dry or learn to be way, way more careful with how I hold the figure. I squashed the folds on the back of her skirt so many times :(

That's looking good meeple. Don't judge it too harshly in the middle of building.
What putty are you using?

Hedningen posted:

Here’s my current project - an armored demon hunter

Cool! I picked up some beesputty, have you baked it to set it up? I'm wondering if there is any lingering smell. Don't want to piss off the significant other by stinking up the oven/kitchen. Wondering if one of those smaller toaster ovens would do the trick.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Worked up my armature for my random inspiration piece.

Also finished this bat:

I'll get some pics of it with it's old metal bat buddies at some point.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Nice skeleton dude. At some point I want to recreate a skeleton I saw on eBay that had a wizard hat and a skull in his hand.

I feel like these boots are pretty close to done. The body is mostly bulked out and started getting the head laid out.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Worked on his back and right arm tonight. He's gonna be a lumpy boy!

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Hedningen posted:

Current project for me: a weird amalgamation of fungus, skeletons, and natural debris.

I really like all the details and textures on this guy.

Meeple posted:

Right, massive image dump time as I'm declaring this one finished!

This turned out great. It's a nice pose, the hand resting on the shield looks very naturalistic.

Here is my latest WIP shot- I was working on adding to the muscles and smoothing them out a bit.
Going to get back to work on this and try to finish it over the next few days!

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Rolled out some tiny balls of greenstuff with the leftovers at the end of a previous session. Super glued these in the eye sockets.
Also made a belt out of leftovers I had rolled flat. Cut at strip of it out with a razor blade, and super glued it on.
I've been rolling flat any greenstuff I have left over or making odd shapes that might come in handy later.

Added putty around the bottom edge of the belt and top edge of boots to smooth the transition a bit and give some form to pants. I think I'll do this on the torso side of the belt too so its not such a wide ridge.
Worked on wolf head and gave some initial shape to hands.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Pvt.Scott posted:

I love this guy’s posture. Made me think of this
https://youtu.be/hGI2d31M7Ns

Ha! My 6yo's response to the video: "That man has a pet iguana."

Bulked out the torso, and the top of the left arm. It was kind of bothering me. Trying to get some muscle definition in there.
Also added fur around the sides of head and started the ears.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Calling wolfman here finished. :toot:
Drilled a hole in the face and superglued a bit of wire in for the pipe, then came back around it with a little greenstuff.
Also bulked out the fur around head and ears a little more and fudged in some hands.

For scale:

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Hey, thanks everybody!
Email: x4zombie@hotmail.com

My son drew a picture and said it's something for me to sculpt:

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

ijyt posted:

I see a pokemon horror rom hack creator in the making.

In this one the monsters collect people.

Sketched up something more to work with, took some artistic liberty to add fur on shoulders and scales on legs.

He's King of the Mountains but his ears are too big to wear a crown.
Also need to make sure shoulders are aligned with the back when I get started.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
I built up an armature for this guy. Size wise he's gonna be a little bigger than a primaris marine. Going to build in a pelvis, rib cage, and skull before getting the final pose.

I used an armature step by step that is in the first issue of 28 magazine. It was really easy to follow and I like the results. It's a free download and full of awesome hobby stuff.

https://28-mag.com

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Your monsters are looking great. The contest sounds fun, but I'm deep in a project at the moment.

I'm doing a kitbash of AOS kairic acolytes vs necromunda orlock gang- using orlock legs and kairic torsos. The orlock legs and bodies have thick proportions compared to the acolytes, so I'm carving down the thighs and rebuilding them as bare legs. Took my first pass at it:

It needs some clean up, esp the belt. Happy with most of it but feel like the back of right thigh/buttock area could use more definition.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Here is the mostly finished figure from last post:

And the next guy. Carved back and resculpt the thighs and belt in same way as last one. I also built up the mask and added hair to this one:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Worked up a couple more guys for this raider gang.

This is one of my inspiration images:

Who I've somewhat recreated here:

And this is the latest finished: