Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I didn't know this thread existed! I've tried sculpting a few times but I always end up forgetting everything about it, so I've never made any real progress. It's also way less forgiving than just painting miniatures. I should give it another try and post something in here to keep me motivated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I figure I'll try to post in here whenever I actually do something, to keep myself going.
Today, I'm just starting out by making some armatures.

Now to wait for them to dry.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Hedningen, what size did you print that armature template at? I went 100% and it's way too big, 30mm is more like 54mm.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
That bat is getting really good!

Well, I did what I always do and completely forgot that I was going to try sculpting. Now I've made some new armatures in the right size, so I'll try again.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Hedningen posted:

The SA Mini-Sculpting Miscellany Marathon
Here’s how it works:
  • Post in this thread declaring your interest in participating. Indicate if you have genre preferences or anything like that.
  • I will give you five random pieces of art, which can be anything from “random pictures stolen from Google” to “cool fantasy pictures” to “horrible sketches”. Choose one (or elements from multiple) to base your sculpt.
  • You get four weeks to sculpt. Bonus points given for progress shots, explanations of what inspired you, and other details.
  • At the end of April, sculpts get judged by random goons who haven’t sculpted anything.
  • Fabulous prizes! Or just do it again.
I forgot about this again, so I'll give it a shot! I don't know how to make anything, so I have no genre preference!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I should lay out my concept to stay focused.
So the project is Lord of Spring: A huge cat stalking through the forests. Flowers and leaves covers it's fur, and branches protrude like horns from it's head.
Inspiration gotten from these two pictures:

Now! Time to horribly mangle the concept! :toot: (but also to get better at for next time.)

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm not going to get anything done on the challenge. I'm starting a new job, and moving, so I'm throwing in the towel before everything starts to annoy me.
I'll still try to do *something*, but not with any kind of timeframe.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
That's pretty cool! I like the whole spincasting process, it's just oldschool in a way that I like.

I'm currently working on some low level sculpting to convert some figures into Splintered Fang fighters for Warcry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I like it! You're getting pretty drat good at this!

My own sculpting has been heavily disrupted by getting a baby, so I just add fire to other miniatures.
I still need to practice in a more structured way, but, like always, that'll be later.