Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009
Well, the OP sold me, time to mangle another art form. I am now the proud owner of a big pack of clay shapers (which, if nothing else, is the tool I didn't even know existed until this thread but badly wanted) and some ProCreate.

First project: do something interesting with the right arm for this guy. Already drilled a hole in his shoulder for the armature to fit.

Armature sized against a spare plastic arm. I have a lot of paperclips lying around, seems to work well enough for now.

Armature in place. As it's a model from back when weirdboys just barfed up psychic energy at everything in front of them, I thought a "trying not to puke" pose might work.

Basic arm shaping. He's wearing a fairly fancy, military-ish coat and his left arm is hidden so I'm thinking of putting fairly thick sleeves over this, so I didn't try very hard to shape muscles into the arm (I think, with hindsight, I probably should've anyway).

And a first stab at the basic hand. Looking at it now, it's a bit too small compared to the other hands, so I'll probably cut it off and try again next time I'm sculpting.

Definitely room for improvement but this was a fun use of a lunchbreak, especially with proper tools compared to my previous greenstuff-and-whatever patch jobs. More to come, I hope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009
Redid a hand

And added a sleeve

The hand now looks a bit oversized, though I think that's just the weird proportions of old orks. I also managed to cut a slice in it after taking that photo so I guess that needs touching up.

Probably going to add a cuff to the sleeve once the putty's hardened, then unless I decide to redo the hand yet again he might be done.

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009

Skails posted:

Filled out the abdomen and did an exposed spine

That spine looks super great, did you have a trick to doing the vertebrae or was it just doing the same laborious sculpting over and over? I'll admit big repetitive things like that fill me with a bit of dread.

On my own work, finished off the weirdboy arm. I even gave him buttons.

I'm pretty happy with it for a first real go. Wondering what to try next, now...

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009
I'm not sure if I'll actually have time to sculpt over the next few weeks, but I'd like to give it a try. Inspiration me!

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009
I decided to try and merge the lady knight with the tired old horseman and go for some kind of battle-worn female knight. So far I have discovered that heads are really hard.

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009
Found some more time, so progress happened.

Made some sketches and googled the poo poo out of figure drawing references to try and get proportions right.

Broke a lot of paperclips from over-bending them until I got an armature that mostly works. I'll use plastic rod for the spear because I had some handy.

Sculpting! Chainmail is hard but the tip of a really cheap model file turns out to be the right size.

More sculpting! The breastplate took me so many tries to get a shape I liked.

I'm going to cover most of her right side with a cloak so I've not done much detail there. Not sure yet how I'll do a huge tower shield - might just heat-bend some plasticard and call it a day.

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009
Doing my bit by spamming you up with my wip shots I guess. A couple more lunches of sculpting this week.

Added some more chainmail to the front and a bracer to hide my terrible cloth work. Started on leg armour, though I'm not convinced I like it.

Fleshed out the back and cloth around the thighs as I realised it was looking way too skinny. Also some straps.

I need to either do cloth and then immediately let it dry or learn to be way, way more careful with how I hold the figure. I squashed the folds on the back of her skirt so many times :(

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009

Skails posted:

That's looking good meeple. Don't judge it too harshly in the middle of building.
What putty are you using?

Cheers! It's ProCreate, it's quite firm and non-sticky compared to green stuff so it's pretty good for cloth folds (assuming you don't squash them afterwards by accident...) or those panels of armour on her shoulder but trying to blend joins or smooth out cracks is a lot harder. I think I'm going to do a touch-up pass at the end with a liquid putty of some kind on this model.

Next model I'll probably try a mix of ProCreate and green stuff to get different properties, but I sort of want to finish learning how to use it on its own first.

Looking forward to seeing your pipe-smoking wolf pirate, the bat is p great.

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009
The incremental progress updates continue...

Leg armour. Redid the knee plate on the left as it was a bit wonky.

Started on the right arm. I'd been putting this off a bit because I had a feeling the armature was slightly too tight to work. It was, so bending occurred. I replaced the plastic rod with brass for stiffness, and scored it by pulling it through the teeth of my pliers to try and get just a bit of texture.

That was lunchtime, so fortunately it was all dry in time for me to have a go at a hand this evening. Hands, it turns out, are also really hard. I took a lot of photos of myself holding sticks for reference... Also replaced the brass rod with a slightly longer one and clipped the armature back so I don't end up with wire sticking out - I've learned that lesson at least.

Also it may be time to admit than I'm slightly cheating here, as she came out rather bigger than 28mm heroic scale. I actually scaled her head against a spare scout head when I started, but then I gave her natural proportions so she ended up much taller.

Not shown: about an hour of failed attempts at bending plasticard to make a shield. I gave up and rolled some putty out which is currently drying over a scrap of pipe.

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009
That is a very cheery skeleton tootist and I don't envy you trying to do all the fiddly pipes at all, that looks like a nightmare!

Also really liking how that's going, Skails, the folds on the boots make them look like proper soft leather.

Right, massive image dump time as I'm declaring this one finished!

Added a cloak. Took me ages to work out how to get it to drape the way I wanted, but I rather like how it's folded back on itself over her shoulder.

Completely failed to take progress shots for a while, but since that photo I made her a scenic base to stand on (mostly because I needed to know exactly how tall to make the shield so it reached her hand), cut the shield blank to size and added some strips of banding around the edges. I realised that trying to do her hand with no armature whatsoever was probably going to be almost as annoying as having wire stick out, so I added a length of fine guitar string back in. In this photo I've got the shield wrapped in clingfilm because I realised it'd be almost impossible to paint if I left it permanently attached, so the idea was to sculpt the hand over the top and then pop the shield out afterwards. She's not glued firmly to her base either so that worked out okay.

Here's the hand sculpted over the clingfilm. The plan was to trim off the excess once it was dry. Didn't quite work because I think I messed up my ProCreate ratio and the hand is still quite soft many hours later, but with a sharp knife it wasn't too bad.

The clingfilm came off and it seems to have worked okay. This is attempt 4 or 5 at a spearhead - getting realistic rather than heroic-scale spears to look right and actually hold together turned out to be tricky, they're actually rather small!

All the bits separate and the hand trimmed down.

And that's it! Once everything's done I'll probably come back and paint her up, though I might take a break for a while.

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009
Man, you're really churning them out there. I like your fungus dude, he looks a bit like a happy frog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009
Man, he's really coming together, the wolf head is awesome.