Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Dear Diary,

I'm on top of the world! I got recognized by Marie Anne, and she even invited me to join her team!

I mean, sure, there are fourteen people on it, but, the more the merrier, right?

We go out every night, transform into our super cool alter egos, and fight monsters! Bam, boom, pow, biff! It's the coolest thing in existence!

I feel like I'm making a difference. I feel like I'm keeping people safe. And I get super cool magic power to go with it!

Marie's a great leader, she knows exactly what to do in a jam! And we're all the best of friends, and friendship is the best power of them all, really!

Nothing could go wrong!

Welcome to Magical Girl Mafia, a flavor-heavy experimental game for 12 people!

Basic information

Days will be 48-72 hours in length. Nights will be 24 hours. These are flexible based on when I want to be up and doing things.
We'll be using Discord and SA PMs to manage everything, so please make sure you have access to those for the game.
Cult mechanics are not part of this game.
Days end in plurality lynches, if nobody is hammered by end of day. THERE WILL BE BLOOD.
THERE ARE DAYVIGS

This is an experimental setup! Win conditions are... different, to say the least.

General Mafia Rules (That have been stolen from Yami Fenrir, who stole them from Natural 20, who stole them from Somberero, and then I made some changes)

1. Don't be poo poo to each other. This is a game, part of the game is having people react, but if you think you're reacting badly, walk away, calm down, come back later.
2. If you post fewer than ten times across a game day that comes within 12 hours of finishing, lurker guns will be distributed among the top posters, aimed at you! The consent of two specific players will be required for a lurkergun to go off. These players will be designated when lurker guns are distributed.
3. Don't edit your posts.
4. Don't talk after you're dead. I'll send you a PM to an Obs doc if you want to chat poo poo. A ghost post after you die is fine, as long as it doesn't contain any content relevant to the game ("lol i died" is fine, "the rest of my team is Lumpen, Harold Krell, and Mr. F!" is not)
5. Feel free to post after the hammer/during twilight about anything.
6. Flavor is flavor, you're welcome to pursue arguments on it if you want. However, scum are protected by elaborate fakeclaims. Additionally while I try to retain flavor justification for many abilities, they will not always match expectations.
7. No replacements after D2.
8. Don't directly quote any communication from me, including your role pm. If you have OOT communication with another player, the rule still applies.
9. Don't fake day actions.
10. If you are affected by a Day Action, do not post under any circumstances until we post the result of the Action. Everyone else is good to keep going.
11. If you do something dumb, I reserve the right to punish you as I see fit.

A note about result language

1. A result that successfully targets will yield the result. "You successfully x your target"
2. A result that does not successfully target will yield the result. "Your action fails."
3. If a player name is ever mentioned as part of a result, this is a mod error.
4. A "successful" target is defined as an ability resolving on someone. This does not have to be the intended target, so a redirected result will yield the same language as a result that has not been redirected.
5. Any exceptions to this will be noted in your PM.

Players
  1. 28766f69642a2930
  2. A Sometimes Food
  3. b-minus1
  4. GulagDolls
  5. IcePhoenix
  6. imgay
  7. Infinitum
  8. Podima
  9. SalTheBard
  10. Toalpaz
  11. Tobbs Gnawed
  12. Yami Fenrir

Replacements:
1)
2)
3)

Observers:
1)
2)
3)

Discord Link: https://discord.gg/nU2qbDJ

Graveyard:

SolusLunes fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

The Heart. A massively concentrated crystalline mass of magical power.

It is the source from which your powers flow.

It also, until today, was safely contained within Marie Anne.

Her chest, torn open by some unfathomably strong power, no longer contains it. Her veins are crystallized, the inside of her still glows softly.

But it fades.

But her blood coagulates on the ground.

But she stays dead.

She had a contingency plan, of course- one of you had enough goodness, enough purity, enough hope that the Heart was as a moth drawn to a flame, and it's settled in there.

The monster had not expected this. The monster needed the Heart for itself.

It won't escape the monster's grasp again. The monster has learned.

The monster is coming for it. Again. And this time it will not be denied.

Welcome to Magical Girls Mafia, a survival horror game for twelve players!

There are a few rules: The team who controls the Heart at the end of the game, wins.
This game will last for four days and four nights, no longer.
Lynches are conducted by majority vote- but if a majority is not reached by the end of the day, there will be a plurality lynch. If there is a tie, there will be multiple plurality lynches for anyone tied at the top.
If the player holding the Heart is lynched, it will be randomly distributed among the players who voted for the Heart.
If the player holding the Heart is nightkilled, it will be given to the player who conducted the kill.
If the Heart is shattered... well, don't do that. Trust me.

Marie Anne, Magical-Girl Aligned Team Leader/Heart, was brutally murdered N0 by the Monster!

SolusLunes fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 10, 2018

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Well that filled fast.

I intend to start this game late Saturday or sometime Sunday, so in the meantime, please join the discord: https://discord.gg/nU2qbDJ

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

SolusLunes posted:

Well that filled fast.

I intend to start this game late Saturday or sometime Sunday, so in the meantime, please join the discord: https://discord.gg/nU2qbDJ

I also will start the game, with or without everyone in the discord! If you roll scum, and you're not in discord, you're on a scum team all your own.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

:colbert:

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

SolusLunes posted:

late Saturday or sometime Sunday

:colbert:

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

you impatient motherfuckers, I love you all

at the very latest, it'll come up Monday when I finish it at work, but I'm currently dealing with A Real Life Thing for a friend!

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

hambeet posted:

oh wtf u posted a new thread?

Had to trim the game down, it just wasn't filling. Sorry!

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I will begin distributing PMs in a few minutes- the game will start this afternoon. Be sure to check the second post in the game for the secret Additional Rules!

Join the Discord if you haven't already- I will start it without you if need be. And if you're supposed to have OOT communication, that'll be sad. Just so sad.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

The Heart. A massively concentrated crystalline mass of magical power.

It is the source from which your powers flow.

It also, until today, was safely contained within Marie Anne.

Her chest, torn open by some unfathomably strong power, no longer contains it. Her veins are crystallized, the inside of her still glows softly.

But it fades.

But her blood coagulates on the ground.

But she stays dead.

She had a contingency plan, of course- one of you had enough goodness, enough purity, enough hope that the Heart was as a moth drawn to a flame, and it's settled in there.

The monster had not expected this. The monster needed the Heart for itself.

It won't escape the monster's grasp again. The monster has learned.

The monster is coming for it. Again. And this time it will not be denied.

Welcome to Magical Girls Mafia, a survival horror game for twelve players!

There are a few rules: The team who controls the Heart at the end of the game, wins.
This game will last for four days and four nights, no longer.
Lynches are conducted by majority vote- but if a majority is not reached by the end of the day, there will be a plurality lynch. If there is a tie, there will be multiple plurality lynches for anyone tied at the top.
If the player holding the Heart is lynched, it will be randomly distributed among the players who voted for the Heart.
If the player holding the Heart is nightkilled, it will be given to the player who conducted the kill.
If the Heart is shattered... well, don't do that. Trust me.

Marie Anne, Magical-Girl Aligned Team Leader/Heart, was brutally murdered N0 by the Monster!

SolusLunes fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 10, 2018

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Deadline: in 2 days, 9 hours, on Dec. 12, 2018, 8 p.m. CST.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

If anybody wants a confessional on discord, just @me and I'll create one for you!

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

The sky suddenly darkens, the sun replaced with the moon.

The day has been cut short by anomalous power.

Flips incoming, flavor to follow.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

The monster grins, from its chains. It didn't expect this, but somebody is resourceful.

A scream erupts from Melody, as her chest suddenly explodes in a fountain of crystalline splinters and gore.

The Heart is wrenched from her by an unseen force.

Toalpaz, Magical Girl-Aligned Heart, Loved, has been plurality lynched!

You are Melody! You are Magical-Girl Aligned! You've received the power of the Heart, and are the initial position of it- you are Loved, and it takes one extra vote to execute you. Your win condition is for the Magical Girls to be in control of the Heart after four days.

The Heart will be randomly distributed among their voters: Yami Fenrir

This same force pushes the heart into the chest of Alma- and pushes it all the way through, so for a moment she is suffused in magical power, and in the next moment she's run through- the life leaves her eyes as the Heart replaces her heart, and then is launched right out of the back of her, not even stopping its momentum.

Yami Fenrir, Magical Girl-Aligned False Heart, Heart, has been plurality lynched!

You are Alma! You are Magical-Girl Aligned! You are the False Heart- you are a Rolecop! If you are rolecopped, you will show as "Heart". You are also always in the masonry! Your win condition is for the Magical Girls to be in control of the Heart after four days.

The Heart will be randomly distributed among their voters: IcePhoenix

In the calm that follows, for a short breath, a quiet moment, it appears it is over. There are three reddening stars in the sky, however- and after the Heart makes its flight, Cecily collapses, her heart stopped, appearing almost purely out of malicious spite. The Monster has crushed her heart, on a whim, through the suspicions laid upon her. It's another pointless death, her candle snuffed all too soon, and for what?

imgay, Magical Girl-Aligned Versatile Backup, has been plurality lynched!

You are Cecily! You are Magical-Girl Aligned! You are the Versatile Backup- you are given the option of inheriting any nightkilled role (and one other, secret role). You CAN refuse to take an offered role. Your win condition is for the Magical Girls to be in control of the Heart after four days.

The monster smiles, from within its prison. It delights in suffering.

It must be stopped, before it comes back.

It is now Night 1! Deadline is in 24 hours, or whenever everyone gets their orders in.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

The night after a short day feels even longer than it was. There are even some doubts as to whether or not the sun will ever come back.

It does come back, but...

Emma's missing.

One of you finds a drop of blood. Then another drop, in a trail. Then a splash. Then a torrent.

Emma's body is in a dark alleyway, heart callously torn from her chest. This was just malicious.

Nobody speaks, on finding the body.

A cold wind blows. Somebody sobs softly.

Making the bargain to be a magical girl might have been the worst deal you ever made.

And this deal's getting worse all the time.

B-minus1, Magical Girl-Aligned Wildcard, was murdered Night 1!

You are Emma! You are Magical-Girl Aligned! You are the Wildcard- you are a natural Nexus! Any abilities targeting you, other than kills, will be randomly redirected. You can also be a Lightning Rod and draw all targeted abilities to you, and then randomly redistribute them- this will kill you, however, no kills will be redirected to the Heart when you do this! Your win condition is for the Magical Girls to be in control of the Heart after four days.

It is now Day 2.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Posts with more complete resolution will come soon:

for now, all that needs to be said is that IcePhoenix and Podima are both dead.

If the crap I have to do now takes too long, I may put an extension vote to the thread. Good jerb doing this just as I get to a four-hour-block of poo poo I Have To Do.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Oh.

No, no, no, no.

You remember doing this last time. Why was there another Homura last time? Why is there another one now?

...You're the another one, now.

And you'd gotten the Heart. You'd managed to break the cycle, or so you thought.

It's not fair. It's not fair! ...Well, at the very least, I know I'll get my revenge on myself, when we do this again.

Podima, Magical Girl-Aligned Reversing Sacrificial Dayvig, Akemi Homura, has vaporized IcePhoenix, ???-Aligned Future Akemi Homura!

You are Akemi Homura, you fuckin' nerd! You are Magical-Girl Aligned! You are a Reversing Sacrificial Dayvig- you can, once, at the cost of your own life ##vaporize someone as a day action! This kill is unstoppable. Additionally, if you hit someone who killed someone the night or day before, you will reverse the death of their target! Your target's flip will be janitored if you use this ability. Your win condition is for the Magical Girls to be in control of the Heart after four days. Just... don't vaporize the heart, okay? Bad things happened last time you did that.

addendum, shortly after role PMs were given out:

The sound of tinkling glass punctuates the blinding flare of energy that passes between the two girls- and then it turns crimson, as the Heart shatters.

Then reality shifts, as Time herself stumbles in her stride.

That was weird, but at least nobody died last night, right?

Something seems off. Deja vu? Your magic still works, so... the Heart's still here, but you saw it shatter? What the gently caress is even going on?

Toalpaz, ???-Aligned ??? has been revived Day 2!
imgay, ???-Aligned ??? has been revived Day 2!
Yami Fenrir, ???-Aligned ??? has been revived Day 2!
b-minus1, ???-Aligned ??? has been revived Day 2!

SolusLunes fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 13, 2018

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

The deadline has been extended by 24 hours.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

We killed her.

We killed Luna, and she welcomed it.

The formalities were performed, we cracked her chest open... and nothing. Not even a normal human heart. Just... a void where there would be something else.

Anything else.

She laughed at us. She cackled on about how she'd won, how she'd ensured the destruction of the heart, the end of magic... but it's still here.

We still have our magic.

We left her, still babbling about the monster, and how the only way to destroy it is to destroy the heart. We left her to bleed out, to die, slowly and painfully. To draw the monster away, if only for another night.

A few sidelong glances were exchanged among the group- some claimed to have the heart, but you saw it shattered. Did you really, though? Is it gone? It doesn't feel gone.

SalTheBard, Luna, Self-Aligned Sacrifice, Vessel For The End, was lynched Day 2.

You are Luna! You are Self-Aligned! You are the Vessel For The End- you are an arsonist! You can douse one player each night or you can ignite all your previous targets. Your win condition is to destroy the Heart. You will win if someone else manages to destroy it, as well. That's the only way out of this cycle, you know...

Night actions are due by 9PM CST, and the thread will be opened sooner if all night actions are submitted.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

The first night was merciful, somehow nobody disappeared.

Tonight, however... Marian's gone.

There's no sign of her anywhere.

This might have been a good thing, on reflection.

A Sometimes Food, Marian, Monster-Aligned Busdriver, was killed Night 2!

You are Marian! You are Monster-Aligned! You are the Busdriver- you can switch two players, and any actions targeting one will target the other, and vice versa. Your win condition is for the Monster-Aligned team to be in control of the Heart at the end of the four days.

But you did find the burnt corpse of Emma.

Crispy as it is, the only reason you can distinguish it being her is that her face is somehow completely untouched by the burn, and has a serene look on it.

Like she was expecting it.

b-minus1, Emma, Magical Girl-Aligned Wildcard, was killed Night 2!

You are Emma! You are Magical-Girl Aligned! You are the Wildcard- you are a natural Nexus! Any abilities targeting you, other than kills, will be randomly redirected. You can also be a Lightning Rod and draw all targeted abilities to you, and then randomly redistribute them- this will kill you, however, no kills will be redirected to the Heart when you do this! Your win condition is for the Magical Girls to be in control of the Heart after four days.

The deadline for Day 3 is December 17th, at 8PM CST.

SolusLunes fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 15, 2018

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

votefinder posted:

Votecount for Day 3

Not Voting (7): 28766f69642a2930, GulagDolls, imgay, Infinitum, Toalpaz, Tobbs Gnawed, Yami Fenrir

With 7 alive, it's 4 votes to execute. The current deadline is December 18th, 2018 at 8 p.m. CST -- that's in about 3 days, 5 hours.

Despite what Votefinder has said, it is two days, five hours. I have updated votefinder accordingly.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Birb, Bridget, Monster-Aligned Roleblocker was lynched Day 3!

You are Bridget! You are Monster-Aligned! You are the Roleblocker- you can block your target from using an action at night. Your win condition is for the Monster-Aligned team to be in control of the Heart at the end of the four days.

The Magical Girl Aligned team has won!

SalTheBard has also won a self-aligned victory!

Game ending flavor to come, I just figured I'd do the final flip first.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

GulagDolls posted:

Don't roll scum in a Solus game lol

in fairness I think scum screwed themselves with the d1 overreach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

28766f69642a2930 posted:

looking at some of the powers town had compared to bus driver / roleblocker, taking out a bunch of townies via quickhammer was probably the only way scum could have won

I think the best thing I could have done to balance it was with Infinitum's role- should have made it not bulletproof, and should have made it affect Inf's target as well. Other than that, this was Stupid Edge Case! Again!

There were definitely some things I could have done better, but I did claim it was experimental. I'm very, very pleased with how the randomly shuffling masonry turned out.