Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

awww yiss new thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Noise Machine posted:

of COURSE it's a fuckin musical

Ru loves a holiday special.

I look forward to cringing when I get home. They uploaded a preview of one of the numbers yesterday and I about died lmao

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zelah posted:

This is really bad y’all. We ain’t turned it off yet but this is really dumb.

The clip I watched yesterday is 100% why I am omw home instead of going to the viewing party like I originally planned lmao. Save my dollas for AS4.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

hot drat how long is this special, 2hr?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This was very bad in all the right ways. But I'm still glad I watched it at home and not the bar lmao

I want Sonique to come back for an All Stars season.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

So about that, I hear Jasmine left before holi-slay production was over but the internet rumormill just directs me to watching her live instagram story. I don't do insta. Can someone shed more light on that? I'm hesitant to google lest I get AS4 spoilers in the mix. I guess she was mad about Shangela running late throughout taping, but was that a body double for most or what? I mean jush did the drat "don't gently caress it up" with the bag on her head ...what was all that?

Jasmine had some issues with Shangela and Eureka. Shangie was late numerous times, I guess, which is weird for her tbh but Jasmine was having none of it. I guess Shangie apologized later (which Jasmine is not accepting at this time lmao) Eureka insisted on throwing a bunch of high kicks/etc into choreo everyone knew was supposed to be simple and quick, then complained about being tired for the rest of the day. Jasmine told her to just rest and chill out, sit tf down for a bit, then and Eureka started whining that Jasmine is skinny and doesn't get it. I guess Latrice had to step in to chill Eureka the gently caress out.

Guess this explains why there's like 0 Jasmine talking heads, and she didn't seem to be in the onesie number.

e: the eureka/jasmine thing has been known for a bit but specifics are new.

e2: sounds like jasmine was going thru some personal tragedies as well during the filming of AS4 and the special :(

esperterra fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 8, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The double work was 10000009% bad on purpose

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm sad Michael Michelle didn't vogue, considering her history.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mayhem's runway ownt, and if it hadn't been a fully scripted episode she shoulda won. But she came to recite her lines lmao

e: also if anyone wants Jasmine's live (lmbo it's an hour) where she talks about why she left the Christmas special early:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCHuHY6ZpV8

God I love Jasmine Masters. Can All Stars 4 just be her and talking at the camera? I could (and often do) just throw her old lives on lmbo

lmao right at the beginning: she kept that fabric on her head during the lip sync b/c it hosed up her makeup and she didn't know the words anyway :discourse:

esperterra fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 9, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Why the gently caress is this poo poo not called RuPaul's Slay Belles?

e: RuPaul mouths the words to her own songs during LSFYLs, but not when she's actually onstage doing the lipsync? Dang.

ee: lmao that ending, not surprised, but whatever. The faker Ru and Michelle were, um, subtle?

eee: This was a fine album promo imho.

iirc Ru already has a Christmas album named that from a couple years ago

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

:thunk:

Oh Vixen, as much as I want to love you you've made it p impossible since season 10 ended. Her little thing over Lady Gaga a while ago (she went on about A Star is Born being a republican movie/for Trump supporters or some poo poo and tried saying Gaga's never done anything for the LGBT community or other minorities and ???) was such a reach it hurt MY shoulders tbh, but this is just ... idk. Crass. Drag Manila all you want or w/e, but bringing Sahara into it was just dirty.

Manila's response is all class w/ some shade at the end tho A+:

:3:

e: also Shangela responded to Jasmine's claims of her bein unprofessional af during the special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uT6kZBAmns

esperterra fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 11, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nah, I'm with you there. I don't ever want to lessen Vixen's anger toward the world, because I'm sure it's more than rightfully earned. I just think it's unfortunate how she expresses that anger more often than not, especially when she's (usually) making some pretty good points about race, etc. And she's young yet. I'm hoping she'll grow and learn a better way to use her words and her voice without it seeming like she's attacking people for very small slights. But I get her defensiveness, I really do.

Honestly, my biggest issue with Vixen's activism in general is she often seems to be coming from a place of wanting to blame people for the colour of their own skin, which is kind of ironic, I guess. As earned as her hurt and anger is, I kind of draw a line at her defending people who've done wrong just because they're black, or lashing out at people who have done good but she perceives to be wrong just because they're not black, if that makes sense.

Like her whole Lady Gaga thing was basically just her saying that because Gaga is white, and she has a lot of white fans (and because A Star is Born has country elements, thus republican/white) that she's worse than Beyonce and why aren't people championing Beyonce. Which is ridiculous b/c Beyonce is one of the most championed people on the planet lmao. But her whole point was basically 'who cares if Gaga has done good for the LGBT community or minority communities b/c she's white and has white fans'. Then a couple days later she turned around to try and backtrack it, and literally went 'lol i was just pretending to see how the sheep would react'. It's very much that thing she said on her season of basically living for white tears. I understand it-- I get why she feels that way. But I just don't think I can respect her approach any more.

Race relations in general is a giant issue, especially in our community, and she's so often got the right idea but I feel like she just needs to learn to look a little deeper. Just because someone who isn't a PoC (and I don't mean Manila specifically here, b/c she's obvs mixed race lol) criticizes, say, Kevin Hart for lovely things he said in the past doesn't mean that they're racist or would ignore lovely things said by someone whose skin looks more like their own. If that makes any sense. idk I'm high.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The thing with defending Kevin Hart is, unfortunately, as far as I understand it he's fairly recently refused to apologize for saying he'd be angry if his son ended up being gay. If this had been a situation where people dug up old tweets that had already been apologized for, or if he issued an apology after they came out, then I'd be on board with thinking #cancelling him is stupid. But he unfortunately doesn't seem to have changed his stance on it.

And I don't even think he's homophobic. It's just a weird thing where he's fine with other people being gay as long as they aren't his children. Which, yeah, is homophobic in its own sense but I mean I don't think he believes all gay people should burn in hell or anything. It's a weird situation.

e: the ugliest bit of the Sahara thing is her flat out saying 'I did it to hurt Manila, and if I hurt Manila I'm glad' which is just ... drat girl. bringing up someone's dead partner as a kneejerk reaction to feeling hurt/attacked is one thing, but then doubling down during your 'apology' to say you meant every word of it is hosed up

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Very nicely said!

Go give Vixen some tips lmao

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Must... resist...!!!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm so bummed they moved it to Fridays. Gay bars need that work week skrilla!!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pinwiz11 posted:

I prefer Fridays because I can go out and enjoy the show and not have to worry about work the next morning. /old

That's fair tbh. I wonder how well it'll clash with Fridays typically being a busy night with a different event already scheduled tho. Show probably benefits in that way from being on p early esp if you're on the west coast.

I'm just concerned about it being packed some nights lmao, viewing parties can be hard enough to find seating on already. Plus it helps the businesses to have a super busy Thursday, or Monday or any other weekday this show has aired on in its history lol

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

jit bull transpile posted:

I dunno how it is in Canada but American west coast channels are tape delayed so you can't watch early unless you're illegally streaming or something.

RIP. We typically get channels for both coasts, so our bars do a 5pm (easten air time) screening and an 8pm one lol

In other news, mildly related b/c Ginger Minj is in it, but Dumplin' on Netflix is very cute and Jennifer Aniston is very good

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I broke and watched the 15min preview and now I'm in an eternal state of gagged and I don't think my wig's gna return from orbit til Friday.

The editing seem off to anyone else, though?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It seemed weirdly chopped up in the beginning, made me wonder if they're doing another weird skit framing thing with the Hall of Fame girls and cut it out of the preview.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pinwiz11 posted:

They totally chopped out the surrounding video, but really we only care about the entrances for now so I didn't mind.

Oh, agreed.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I <3 Villaintina. Feel your telenovela oats, girl.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Drag Race has been overly self referential since day one tho! It's why I lowkey get triggered when friends start it but watch it out of order lmbo

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The show has always been a ton of references to past seasons tho, is what I meant. Like building challenges around referencing themselves.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm more excited for this season than I have been for anything since AS2 tbh

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Today's shift has suuucked and I can't wait to get off, get cheap drinks and go to the viewing party lmao. See you all after the late showing!!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Whalley posted:

Trinity is going to be top three imo

much as I love Manila and Latrice and am torn between the three, I honestly think Trinity is going to win it all, barring a surprise elimination or some dumb twist at the end again. She's the whole package and as bland as I think season 9 is overall, Trinity is one of my favourite queens since ... poo poo season 5 or earlier lmao. I thought she'd be one of the first outs in 9 but dem lewks and dat comedy and dat shade. She's had nothing but oval office since season 9 and her oval office has only grown stronger since then!

Whalley posted:

I mean yeah, we had a season with Violet, that's like criticizing someone for not doing insult connect to Bianca's level.

The edit kind of told a different story to what everyone saw, like, the edit made Farrah look like she finished fine but everyone's acting like she had a tantrum on stage or just lay there crying for 20 minutes. Which, yeah, it's Farrah, it's possible tbh

Not even really Violet, but we've had two All Stars seasons where a queen did a burlesque number-- Roxxxy owned that sexy poo poo and Dela brought us the comedy. I think Farrah did fine until her fall, but I wish she'd played with the prop more and leaned more into the fact she came out of a giant highlighter compact.

I love Farrah and I hope she does better next week, but she just doesn't have the confidence yet. I wish they'd waited on her tbh. I think she's got a good personality and she's definitely talented, but the drive isn't quite there.

General thoughts, tho:

god this was a good premiere

dat emotions :veg: that lip sync was so good. It's too bad Monique's wig fell off and she abandoned it to the rafters, but tbh even if it stayed on, as great as Monique was, I think Trinity had that in the bag no matter what. So loving good.

This is a great mix of queens so far just in terms of personalities bouncing off eachother. Gia's being extra but I expect that from her and I love it and she is giving me the boom boom gun I was hoping for. After that kabuki number she can be as much of a bitch as she wants lmao, that should have been in the top 2. Honestly I think Trinity, Monique, Gia, Latrice and Manila all could have been any combo of top 2 for this talent show. Villaintina (whom I love more than ever so far) was great, but it wasn't as unique as the standouts. Same with Naomi. I loved it. I think she could have hit those poses harder tho. But that reveal at the end was great. It was simple tho and Milk already did the fashion thing last year. If not for it feeling kinda 'oh we did this already literally earlier this year jesus christ why do we have 3 seasons this year' I think I would have rated Naomi's higher, but yeah.

Sad to see Jush go, but I didn't expect her to go much further-- she's an incredbily talented and funny queen, and turns some loving lewks, bitch is polished-- but I don't think she vibes well in this type of competition setting. tbh it's a toss up for me on who I'd rather have stayed. They both did badly and I would find either of them equally entertaining in diff ways for another week or two. Farrah's not long for this world tho.

Also lmao I'm very glad Willam did a video for Unshart My Fart. I hope that bitch does videos for every song on the album.

e: this is a cast I would really love to have a full oldschool untucked with

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

My top 4 bet is Trinity, a representative of Latrila, Monique and Villaintina. Maybe Naomi tbh. But I think the world is not fair and thus would never bless us with both Manila and Latrice in the top 4 so I'm lowering my expectations now. In a just world the top will be Trinity, Latrice, Manila and then literally anybody else but Farrah and maybe Monet lmao

ilu Monet but you still look busted and you were nervous af singing that song, I could tell, girl I know you can do better than that!!

e: if we don't get a loving reunion this season

we were robbed in all stars 3. i wanted to see the fallout of the jury twist gdi. the true robbery was not shangela but it was us all along

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hug in a Can posted:

detox told a cute anecdote about her nephew :allears:

one day he told his mom "I'm ashamed of uncle Matthew!" and his mom was like, "no... bullies at kindergarten have given him homophobia... honey why"
"well no.... I'm disappointed..."
"baby being gay is alright and your uncle is really good at his job and -"
"no he is cool but he should have eliminated alaska then he would have won one hundred thousand dollars :mad:"

viewing parties with rugirls are a perennial delight! and Ross Matthews is so good at quickly establishing rapport with people and you can tell he makes an effort to only say kind and honest things. he held my hand briefly as I asked a question and now I would lay down my life to protect him.

everyone in the room thought latrice would win! Ross said that trinity's display was quite impressive in person and that it didn't come across as well on TV. :shrug: I don't care too much about that!

I love Monique Heart more in All Stars than I thought possible. she's not just being sparkly- sweet, but she's not cruel either... I am so happy to see her performing and being vibrant on TV!

Gia's hair in her confessional is shiny and beautiful :) And she is a fun TV show villain!

honestly if Detox had eliminated Alaska, she almost definitely would have won lmao

e: also your viewing sounded like a blast! I wish we got ru girls for them up here in the frozen (rainy tbh) north

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

idk one would hope they realize the backlash to 3 and just do it like all stars 2. have any remaining twists going forward just be the ruveal of ru-turning all stars or already crowned queen, thx world of wonder

I lowkey think Trinity actually put her tuck in on stage, and I think the bit would have done better with an establishing before and after of some kind lmao.

p sure the superqueens theme is literally just because that's the single ru is pushing this season.

e: actually watchin it again that's a completely diff pair of tucking panties oh well!!!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

seriously tho how was naomi in the top 3 over gia or latrice lmao

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pinwiz11 posted:

The extended Library segment is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JDt7ui4oBA

OMG VALENTINA'S READ ON LATRICE :rip:

e: As always, watch out for comments further down. I was stupid and scrolled and may have spoiled something for myself.

fwiw the as4 tea has been lukewarm and spotty, lot of conflicting rumours so take whatever you saw with a grain of salt. i haven't been following the nancy drews on it myself but from what i hear barely anything leaked from as4. unless new stuff happened in the past month or so anyway.

season 11 has been thoroughly and accurately spoiled tho

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

angerbeet posted:

Eh, there's a pretty good general timeline that seems acceptable to reality. Not as spoiled as some years but the outline is there..

For AS4? They must have narrowed it down. The tea checker was a mess of conflicting leaks for months.

Works for me tho, All Stars seasons are the only ones I typically don't spoil for myself so I'm glad I stopped looking before they figured it out lol

e: gia was such a bitch on the switch 2, at one time she did a death drop to punctuate the end of an argument

i love gia bringing me reality tv gold

e: cba to find a youtube link but the vid's the op of this post https://www.reddit.com/r/rupaulsdragrace/comments/876uuv/gia_starting_the_drama_in_the_switch_2/

iconic

esperterra fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 17, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That's entirely fair. And cattiness on the show stands out in general nowadays. Gia acting like this wouldn't feel so out of place if the other queens around her were also bringing the drama. If you think about it, season six was kind of the last season for drama and proper untucked-- and even then a lot of it was way more in the edit than the seasons before it, like the weird Dela/Darienne stuff or Courtney's inexplicable bitch edit lmao.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The mainsub is fairly safe for spoilers these days. The mods suck in general, but they try to enforce that at least lmao, plus there's a newer satellite sub just for spoilers anyway so that helps.

I would avoid the subreddit like the plague for several reasons tho

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I never said she wasn't, just that older seasons had more mean people just being mean + general drama so it didn't stand out as much as it does in the age of RuPaul's Best Friend Race.

I love her b/c precisely because she's mean lmao

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Alaska is the snake queen tyvm !!

I also love it when a queen complains she was too young the first time around. Tyra was a baby when she won, as well as obvs Aquaria.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Whalley posted:

Different people mature and grow at different rates, who cares if other winners were younger

I just find it funny when people blame the confidence or drive not being there on their age alone, or how long they've b een doing drag, on a show where super young queens have either gone far or taken the whole crown-- or proved to be so confident despite their lack of experience, they get brought back three times.

obvs people grow and mature differently, and their life experiences up to that point are a big part of shaping if they're ready or not. And some people aren't ready whether they're young or old, either.

garthoneeye posted:

I was going to post that the thing the 3 super-young winners all had in common was unshakeable confidence in themselves, but really that's something that every winner besides Jinkx and if counting All-stars Trixie had.

I really wish we could get our hands on more footage from season 5. Pretty much every queen there, and Jinkx herself, have said that she fought back a lot and was p shady herself at times when it came to Roxxxy/Rolaskatox/etc digging at her. But she got dat severe underdog edit. Plus other small things like production asking Detox to help Jinkx with her busted makeup lmao. There's so much we don't see that could change the entire way a season is perceived.

But yeah, she was probably the least confident in herself out of the winners-- tho that certainly didn't stop her from having the drive to do her best every week. I feel like her confidence in her talent was secure as gently caress, but not so much on a personal level.

Jinkx owns and is prob still my favourite winner.

e: violet was also a very young winner. a lot of the winners have been p drat young-- in fact it's mostly either super confident/talented young queens or super polished industry pros lmao, then a few people who are excellent at branding themselves

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

caligulamprey posted:

So when's it gonna happen to Tyra?

:eyepop:

where's the lie tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I just mean the edit made her look like she laid down and took it.