Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm traveling to Chicago tomorrow, and I'm going to watch this at Sidetrack I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Hug in a Can posted:

Roscoe's is amazing for viewing parties, too :)

We ended up watching it at DS Tequila because we needed dinner, Sidetrack doesn't serve food, and as we were walking in, we saw that they were also going to show the special.

Fun special overall. I hadn't even noticed that Jasmine went missing part way through, she's never done anything for me.

The star of the special was definitely that Pit Crew member with the floppy curly hair who kept on stealing the camera from the queens.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

alf_pogs posted:

i didn't really think about it beforehand but every second of Valentina's screentime made me ecstatic that she's back. bitch is a villain, 110%, and i can't wait for theatrical melodramatic shennanigans

this cast walks all over the AS3 cast tbh

Has there ever been a queen that was thought to be the hero and turned out to be the villain? Valentina is a total modern day Disney villain, hiding in plain sight the whole time, until revealing themselves to be the mastermind behind all the treachery.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

caligulamprey posted:

Gonna need a Drag Race crossover episode with Nailed It! stat.

I was watching the holiday episodes of Nailed It tonight, and there was a hot gay guy competing in an episode. So I decided to look him up on facebook.

Of course we have 16 friends in common.

We don't even live in the same city.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Andrew_1985 posted:

Was the really buff guy who was in the first episode of the Nailed It Holiday Special?
He was a firefighter? I can't remember, he was too handsome.

No, the spandex dude in the next episode

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm so happy someone pointed out that you can get a free 24 hour VH1 pass from their website!!!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Gia, you're no legend yourself.

I see nothing has changed with her.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So Jasmine and Farrah on the bottom? Maybe Manilla, Monet, Monique, and Latrice in the middle, with everyone else on top?

Villaintina has never looked more gorgeous.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Whalley posted:

Jasmine is the new Trixie; the internet told her too much that this is Good and she listened too hard to the echo chamber

But weren't people always laughing AT Jasmine? While she was going for laughs, I never felt like what she was trying to go for is what people were connecting with.

Also, Jenifer Lewis is America's Sweetheart.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 15, 2018

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Whalley posted:

She's legit funny. Her poo poo is funny, she's a great comedic storyteller, but she leaned into what other people had already said was good rather than just being her authentic self.

I hear you. I've always found her to be, a lot extra, even as a drag queen.

But if people find her legit funny, I can disagree, but I'll drop the matter.

Anyway, Monique is dead on with her critique of Farrah. That was Farrah's opportunity to turn that fall into an opportunity. The rest of her performance was fine! Not great, we've seen this burlesque thing done before, and better. But she wasn't bad until that fall.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I just watched Dumplin, that new Netflix movie about a girl who is on the bigger side, and she enters a beauty pageant to stick it to her beauty queen mother, played by Jennifer Aniston.

The movie was watchable albeit completely mediocre, lacking basic character depth, and mostly relying on shallow tropes. Most notably, the whole trope of a group of drag queens, or gay men in general, whose sole purpose is to help some frumpy straight person bring out their inner fabulous diva. In Dumplin, these queens are played by Harold Perrineau, Ginger Minj, and Sam Pancake.

I feel like at this point it's pretty similar to the trope of the "Magical Black Character," a supporting stock character who goes around selflessly helping white protagonists, relying largely on stereotypes. (see: The Green Mile, The Legend of Bagger Vance)

As it is every time with this trope, the gay characters in Dumplin have no story or depth of their own. They exist entirely to provide exposition or to service the character development of the leading straight characters. It's pure straight girl fantasy. A group of straight girls showing up to drag night at the local gay bar, and being so implicitly fabulous on their own, that they're allowed inside without having to pay cover, and despite being underage children in high school. They're then not only given a table right at the in front of the stage, and are even allowed to come up on stage during the Queens' routine and lip sync along with them. In their free time, the queens give motivational pep talks, teach the girls how to dress, do their makeup, dance, and bring out their inner divas.

It wasn't really offensive, and it was cool to see another Ru girl in a studio production, but it's just so lazy and uninteresting.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

The Alyssa Edwards show is a ‘dance moms’ style thing about Justin(?) teaching kids dance and some of his family drama on the side. It’s watchable but not super compelling imo.

Pretty much. It's more watchable than I expected. I ended up watching the whole thing in one afternoon while building office furniture.

I liked the cute kids and rooting for them to succeed.

I didn't like any of the super self-entitled moms and all of their drama.

I liked seeing Alyssa doing drag things.

I didn't like seeing Justin going on dates, or dealing with his family drama.

I love Alyssa. But, overall, Alyssa is better handled in small doses. A whole series following her, it's kind of a lot.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
On the subject of gay poo poo, I just deleted my Grindr and Scruff accounts. As someone who doesn't really enjoy random hookups, I've been feeling put off by all the guys who: 1) expect dick pics and j/o videos within seconds of first chatting, 2) get angry or crazily insistent if you don't reply right away 3) or randomly decide to ignore you after days of seemingly good conversation.

On one hand, I'm relieved. On the other, I feel like I'm cutting myself off from meeting a large part of the gay community.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pinwiz11 posted:

I'm all about Willam yelling at the AS4 Queens for not having their talent show songs for sale immediately on iTunes during this week's Race Chasers.

Agreed. So your talent is lip syncing? If you were that good, you wouldn't have gone home the first time.

These queen need to do something that highlights something they can do that other queens can't do. If your talent, during a talent show, is to do the same thing that every other girl there can do, and several even better, why are you doing it all?

Also, during the Race Chasers, Willam brought up the fact that each of the queens got to film their talent twice. Some had spinning things that they dropped (I'm guessing Latrice or Gia), but didn't show. The reason why they showed Farrah's slip and fall was because that was her first time through. Her second time, her boa got caught on something, she shouted, "This loving boa," and ran off stage.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So, FYI:

You can keep on creating free accounts to watch VH1 Live for 24 hours. Just open an incognito tab in Chrome.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm really curious about what's going on in Gia's head with this Farrah drama.

She fully admits that she is the one who wronged Farrah, but because Farrah didn't accept her apology, she's now gunning for her.

It makes no sense.

Also, that pun was unintentional.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I do think that this is a great way to feature someone like Stacy Layne Matthews who is extremely likable but probably would not do well on an All Stars season.

What other queens could fill the same type of role in future seasons?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Hug in a Can posted:

Tammie Brown! :)

A challenge where the queens have to find their inner weird!

Hug in a Can posted:

I enjoy Gia's villain turn!

turn?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Ok, I totally understood why VH1 blurred Valentina's naked buttcrack / tucking mound

I don't quite get why they blurred her boy nipples.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

warez posted:

I fully expected Gia to be in the bottom and Monet to win that lipsync.

The “you don’t love me” callback was too perfect for Valentina not to win though

This Snatch Game of Love looks juuuiicy

Gus Kenworthy makes me juuuiicy

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Czolgosz posted:

Uh, can we cool it on the E3 spoilers? I'm pretty sure you will not die of drag race blue balls waiting an additional four days to discuss it.

My life isn't ruined now knowing who goes home because I unthinkingly moused over a spoiler, but like. Come on

I'll back you up here. I didn't read the spoilers because I knew people were discussing episode 3. And while I don't want this thread to become spoiler nazis like some of the other TVIV threads (see: the Expanse, where even proper usage of spoiler tags can get you furious vitriol), but the Drag Race threads have been very inconsistent when it comes to spoiler tags.

Generally, you would think that spoiler tags are used for any unaired material. But there are a number of people here who use spoiler tags for things that have already aired, like the most recent episode, and even while discussing about previous seasons. It's completely unnecessary, and probably does lead to some thoughtless confusion.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

esperterra posted:

Also happy holigays y'all.

I made my straight parents watch All Stars 4. Or rather, I rewatched both episodes while they walked around the house doing Christmas stuff.

My dad kept on asking me what this dumb poo poo I was watching. He only watches History Channel.

My mom said that the queens were just as mean as women. But she loved the lip syncs and would sit down to watch those, and was excited to see who was eliminated.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

alf_pogs posted:

seriously latrice drove me crazy. the pro move would have been to absolutely shut down gia's nonsense while staying in character, and i would have thought latrice had been doing this long enough to not get so rattled. i wanna see her dominate! maybe next week.

The thing is, she wouldn't have.

VH1 posted this promo video (below) of all the queens in character. Manilla and Trinity were still really funny. Monet, Gia, and Latrice were still really not funny. What's funny about Della Reese? Maybe someone can find it, but Latrice couldn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10tELbEJuRo

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
This is going to be tough!

There is no way that Manila will pick Latrice, and there is no way that Monique will pick Monet.

This will probably be the first time this season that who goes home is entirely dependent on who wins the lipsync.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Whalley posted:

There's no way Monique wins this lipsync. She's pretty good, but against Manilla? No way.

That said I don't agree with the bottom two, Latrice sure but I'd honestly put Trinity down there first.

I would've put Valentina actually. She struggled in the challenge, and while I got what she was going for on the runway, it didn't work.

I do love how extra she is being tonight though, especially when Latrice and Manila were having their moment, and Valentina was behind them moving back and forth trying to make sure she would still be on camera.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Are we watching this VH1 show that comes on at 9:30 that apparently stars Katya? I can't tell what it's about, despite a promo every commercial break (of which there have been a lot tonight)

Edit: Oh, it's just a talking head show with a bunch of people I don't know, and Katya.

Edit 2: She was not in this episode, and it wasn't worth to watch.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 5, 2019

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Eej posted:

I'm entirely convinced that Valentina doing her bit was just her trying to inject some levity into a heavy situation as opposed to her being a raging narcissist like the seasonal bandwagoners that pop up on the subreddit assume. And it was great.

I actually don't follow the subreddit, but I've genuinely thought that Valentina has some kind of serious personality disorder ever since that moment that Farrah exposed her on the reunion. That facial expression was loving terrifying.

jit bull transpile posted:

Yeah they are. They have each queen basically go into a booth and be prompted by the producers to comment on various events in the show. It's pretty standard for reality TV. Real time confessional went out with the real world being good because it's too expensive to film and edit confessionals they are using recorded sporadically through a full shooting schedule.

I know that Real Housewives go in every few weeks to film their confessionals, during filming. They go in front of a green screen in a tiny studio, and Bravo pays for their hair and makeup, the only time that Bravo does. Fans of the show get excited when the housewives debut a new look in their confessional. It's also interesting because sometimes a fight between two ladies hasn't happened yet on the show, but it has happened by the time they film their confessionals, so all of a sudden they start becoming a lot more negative about each other, and it's like, "wait, where is all this hostility coming from."

On the other hand, The Real World back in the day would have very regular confessional filmings. I remember Danny Roberts (dreamboat queen) from season 9 New Orleans talking about how he wore the exact same grey sweater every day, which really frustrated the producers because it made it impossible for them to pinpoint when it was filmed, and it just made it look like they were manipulating the footage.

esperterra posted:

iirc they typically film two challenges per week, so I imagine they have two talking head sit downs per week when the challenge has wrapped.

I think I recall reading that each episode takes 2 days to film, and then they take 1 day off. So in theory, they technically could be filming 3 different episodes in one week.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I've been catching up on my podcasts, and just heard the Race Chasers covering Snatch Game today.

I don't remember if anyone covered this yet, but there was some pretty juicy stuff.

1) They called Gia on the phone, who admitted that she and Farrah had actually talked out their issues off camera, but the producers urged Gia to try and hash it out again on camera, and she didn't have the opportunity to give Farrah the heads up about what she was doing. So when she did, Farrah was completely taken off guard thinking everything had already been resolved, and was naturally aghast that Gia was trying to stir all the poo poo up again.

2) She also confirmed that she never actually planned on doing Caitlin Jenner for Snatch Game, that off camera she and Trinity decided to produce that storyline themselves. Gia was planning on doing that nail lady the whole time.

3) Gia said that coming back to Drag Race was tough for her because it brought her back feelings from her first time around when she didn't realize yet that she was trans. Between that, and the fact that Ru didn't try and have a one on one with her, she ended up not wanting to be there, but didn't want to quit either.

4) Alaska and Willam also discussed Monet's Whitney. Alaska said that she had heard that Monet hadn't planned on doing Whitney, and Willam pointed out that everything was obviously Oprah. The wig, the glasses, all Oprah. They also talked about how it was dumb to do Whitney because Ru has never liked any of the queens doing Whitney, especially not since she passed away.

5) Willam talked about Snatch Game season 4, that the shenanigans we saw going down on the front row with PhiPhi, Jiggly and Kenya went on for far longer than show on screen. In fact, things got so bad, Willam just got up and left the set for at least 20 minutes. She went to go touch up her makeup and get her cardboard cutout prop. The producers kept on begging her to come back to set, but she stayed in character, and said that she'd return to set when she was good and ready.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Fun twist, but with that reveal at the end, I realized that we're going to having to deal with loving jasmine again. Here's to hoping that she gets eliminated as fast as humanly possible, a third time.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Tendai posted:

PanPan crush: Reignited as gently caress.

I mean look at that smile

PanPan is one of the most attractive men on the planet. That is not a very flattering photo of him.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Toast Museum posted:

Anyone else get Steve-o from Jasmine out of drag?

That would indicate that Jasmine has some sort of charm, so, no.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I couldn't tell if they were joking or not, but in the latest Race Chaser, Willam, Alaska and Ben were talking about how sometimes the producers would give ear pieces to the queens filming so scenes so that they could feed lines to them.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pinwiz11 posted:

I thought they were talking about Cecily, not the queens.

Also, the Preview is up! Fantastic opening moment.

That makes sense!

Serves me right for listening to the podcast while working. Work keeps getting in the way of me paying attention fully to the podcasts.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

the escape goat posted:

I hope that Valentina has a Milk moment; his teary-eyed "...am I an rear end in a top hat?" confessional moment was incredible.

It also made me look inward so I mean I'm mad about it but it was still an iconic moment imo

No, sociopaths don't have self-realization moments like that.

Milk is just a standard pretty gay who let all of the attention of everybody wanting to gently caress him get to his head.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Whalley posted:

Monique is a loving witch with that wig swap a loving WITCH

Yeah, I'll need to watch that again. I couldn't figure out how she did it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Thank you, I must have taken my eyes off the screen for a split second. I completely missed that, all of a sudden it seemed like she had just seemed to shake the new color in.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

esperterra posted:

I'm seconding the Monique/Latrice lip sync being kind of underwhelming overall. It was good, but nothing gagged me like Naomi's did or the ridiculousness of Peanut Butter being one of the songs.

Probably doesn't help that Latrice coming back is one of the two spoilers I've known since before the premiere lmao

I'm guessing that what happened was that after the first 3 lip syncs weren't even close, they needed to bring Latrice back to justify the twist, but it wouldn't have been fair to do that at the expense of Monique, so they just kept them both.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

esperterra posted:

I'm continually kind of blah on Valentina's lip syncs, as well. She def brought more than Farrah, but she always looks so awkward which is weird considering her music theatre and dance background. Like the performances are good but never feel smooth. Still fun to watch but I am shook by people (in general, not really here) being gagged over what she's shown us this season.

I noticed last night that she was very conscious to always make sure that her face was looking directly at the judges, no matter which direction the rest of her body was facing, and she was always grinning.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Eej posted:

There is one thing that was the opposite of improved and it's that drat ridiculous lip filler

I actually thought those were Naomi's natural lips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ICHIBAHN posted:

Yeah they're distractingly awful

Of all of the bad plastic surgery on this show, I don't think Naomi's lips is one of them. I thought they were natural, and I think they look good.