Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Super looking forward to this, it's hard for me to pick top queens since there are a lot of extremely good ladies this round.

I would have to pick Farrah and Gia as going home pretty early, though. Unfortunately I don't think they're very well-rounded, my impression is that both of them mostly serve fish* and I think they need to stand out in other areas to go very far.

*What's a better term for fish, I heard that's not the best word to use? "Real(ness)?" Except obviously Gia is a real woman so I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I loved that terrible campy hour-long commercial for Ru's Christmas album

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

jit bull transpile posted:

"Sismas" had some unfortunate homophones sadly.

I didn't catch that until you pointed it out... "Cis-mas" is kinda :nono:

You'd hope someone involved would be trans-aware enough to catch that.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Gelf posted:

Take it one step further and have mass instead of mas for unsettling catholic undertones :)

I get the point you're trying to make, but this isn't a show about religion or Catholic-related things. It is a show that's heavily about LGBTQ+ stuff, so "Sismas" sounding exactly like "Cis-mas" is a bit of an oops.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
This season has a super strong cast, very excited!

Based on previous All Stars I'm assuming they're going to introduce some zany formatting ~twist~ probably with Manila and Latrice having special status. Like Latrila picking the lipstick for the bottom three girls or something, who knows, it will probably be dumb based on All Stars' track record but oh well, this cast rules!

Really hard for me to make predictions I love so many of the queens this season. If I had to guess, Jasmine Masters, Gia, and Farrah are early outs but I look forward to being surprised.

edit: and honestly I think Monet could go home early if she doesn't really step up her runway execution. She had a lot of good concepts but oh boy were the final products busted.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Noise Machine posted:

Ok, I'm not a Trinity fan but coming out of the body bag is pretty good.

Trinity was a pleasant surprise on her original season, she seemed like "just another" pageant queen but it turned out she's loving hilarious.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
My VH1 stream is still playing Wedding Crashers, blargh

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Just after talent show, before critiques, my bottom three are easily Farrah, Jasmine, and Valentine. Farrah was alright other than that fall, yikes. Jasmine was... rear end. Valentina did a good lipsynch, meh?

Monique was a close runner-down.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
BULLET POINT IMPRESSIONS, in no particular order:

Valentina: I love Villaintina. Not sure how far she'll go with this much tough competition.

Monique X'Sponge: Outfits still busted. WTF?

Gia Gunn and Farrah Moan: Still shady and whiny as gently caress, respectively. They talked a lot about their growth in their intros but I'm not seeing it.

Jasmine Masters: Did she wear a pantsuit in all her looks? Who thought this was a good idea.

That's mostly bitching about the struggling queens, I can't really say much about the other queens because they've been amazing.

warez posted:

Trinity’s act wasn’t top 2 to me :geno:

Jennifer Lewis was a delight.

:yeah:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
This is unrelated to AS4 and a bit old but imo Aja is up there with Alaska, Willam, and others for music videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=safM-tI6os0

Aja got dance moves and really good flow. Plus, interestingly, most of her videos constantly juxtapose her in boy glam vs. drag, whereas most drag queen music videos have them almost exclusively in drag.

If you asked me for the top three music video drag queens, I'd say Aja, Alaska, and Willam. With Christeene as honorable mention since her videos are AMAZING but she's more punk/genderfuck than traditional notions of drag. Christeene, extremely NSFW: https://vimeo.com/200916466

e: also apparently Aja has a massive hog :v:

e2: and Willam just publicly released her video "Unshart my Fart" which is exactly what you think it is. Willam gonna Willam. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O80e427sIAI

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 15, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Shneak posted:

I'm gutted that Jush is gone. :smith:

The pantsuits were a mistake. Even worse was trying to do comedy in a 1-minute talent show. You have time for maybe two or three jokes... so you wing it?? These queens knew a talent show was coming, they prepared props and lip-synchs and stuff. But no, I'm super funny and will just show up in my pantsuit and tell two terrible jokes about eating rear end and how it smells! It stinks, folks! Let me hear it for stinky assholes, yeah! <crowd applauds, laughs>

Assuming you could just go up there and do one of your youtube rants for a minute and have it be funny is... incredibly myopic. That's my problem with Jasmine Masters, she doesn't seem to understand at all what makes her funny and entertaining. The super-successful queens latch on to what makes them stand out and brand the gently caress out of it, see: Naomi and her legs legs fashion LOL WIG REVEAL or Trinity and her goofy tuck skit.

After reflection, this seems harsher than intended. But yeah she absolutely deserved to go home first, that was a poor showing.

edit: my clinical appraisal is that Jasmine Masters smokes enough weed to sincerely believe she really is (Monique Heart voice) ~stunning~ at everything she does. I am now too drunk to offer further inferences. Enjoy your watching parties, LGBTQ+goonas

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 15, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

esperterra posted:

My top 4 bet is Trinity, a representative of Latrila, Monique and Villaintina. Maybe Naomi tbh. But I think the world is not fair and thus would never bless us with both Manila and Latrice in the top 4 so I'm lowering my expectations now. In a just world the top will be Trinity, Latrice, Manila and then literally anybody else but Farrah and maybe Monet lmao

ilu Monet but you still look busted and you were nervous af singing that song, I could tell, girl I know you can do better than that!!

e: if we don't get a loving reunion this season

we were robbed in all stars 3. i wanted to see the fallout of the jury twist gdi. the true robbery was not shangela but it was us all along

At this point, given "superqueens" and the Latrila team entrance I just assume there will be some format fuckery with Latrice and Manila at some point. It's All Stars, you better believe there will be some dumbshit format ~twists~

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

esperterra posted:

idk one would hope they realize the backlash to 3 and just do it like all stars 2. have any remaining twists going forward just be the ruveal of ru-turning all stars or already crowned queen, thx world of wonder

I lowkey think Trinity actually put her tuck in on stage, and I think the bit would have done better with an establishing before and after of some kind lmao.

p sure the superqueens theme is literally just because that's the single ru is pushing this season.

e: actually watchin it again that's a completely diff pair of tucking panties oh well!!!

Trinity should have done the whole tucking stunt behind a transparent, somewhat blurry piece of plastic so she could actually demonstrate all the tucking maneuvers without it being super explicit.

Hire me World of Wonder

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
this is the other (very NSFW) Christeene video you should watch imo: https://vimeo.com/channels/christeene/60258584

a wonderful medley of different flavors of WTF

If she's performing nearby, myself and any other posters who have seen her will tell you HOLY poo poo GO SEE CHRISTEENE. She's probably the best drag(ish) performer who will never be on RPDR.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

esperterra posted:

Juju was deadass wasted during Black Velvet, and iirc the main reason they started limiting drinks after S2. She was such a mess that Untucked.

Iconique

Yeah after Juju they started rationing drinks, though Willam was really drunk during the S4 boat episode (she had a bottle filled with rum in the workroom lol).

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
VillainGia could definitely take some notes from Villaintina on how to "win" at reality TV

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I love Valentina, she's super extra and telenovela theatrical without being bitchy, mean, or annoying.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Whalley posted:

Wait

whaaaat?

Wait wait wait.

whaaaaaat?

Finally a good reality TV twist on All Stars

D R A M A

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

warez posted:

How many drat episodes does this season have? We're back to 7 girls lol. Wonder if they'll pull a double elimination or some other form of wackiness to level out having two weeks in a row with no eliminations.

Gia's lip sync was... lacking, especially considering the House of Edwards association.

holy gently caress, Naomi turned it out

Naomi and Trinity are queens that were super underestimated on their seasons and continue to impress

you think Trinity is all pageant and plastic but nope she's hilarious and can PERFORM

you think Naomi is all legs model fashion but nope

edit: as opposed to a queen like Milk or Pearl who are model fashion pretty and yup... that's about it

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jan 19, 2019

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Pan Dulce posted:

It's still the most producer/unfair poo poo to me that Pearl won her lip sync against Trixie. The entire season I thought Pearl was doing "model fashion pretty."

also Pearl's lip synching on that season: PEARL STOMP, PEARL SMASH

I mean, Pearl is gorgeous but let's not pretend she's in the same galaxy when it comes to comedy, acting, or performing

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
okay having watched the full episode:

everyone that stayed pretty much deserved to based on their lip-synch, except Monique got ROBBED. Monique had a better performance and is better reality TV. I love Latrice but girl you boring.

Valentina seems extremely calculated. Maybe she has a personality disorder, but from her excellent lipsynch I think her fiasco with the mask and not knowing the words on her original season was entirely planned.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Also, Valentina is fun and so goddamn crazy.

I've said it before but I think Valentina's character and antics on the show are extremely calculated and deliberate. She's smart and has a background in theater and she's using that to maximize her time on TV.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

ICHIBAHN posted:

Yep. Felt like I wasted an hour on this epa. Also drag Thailand stuff can go in the bin / its own thread tia

ICHIBAHN posted:

I stan a separate thread

ICHIBAHN posted:

Time for a DRT thread
Your tone seems very pointed right now.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Is thinking that Violet Chachki winning was a mistake a hot take? I thought for sure it was going to Ginger.

I think the general consensus is that the producers planned to crown Ginger as the first big girl winner, but then she was kind of a bitch especially in Untucked.

Violet is pretty good though imo. Ginger is definitely a more well-rounded queen.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
All Stars is consistently poop and I disagree with whomever said there should be less design challenges. gently caress that, make these bitches sew and hot glue!

Just because you have dollas and can pay designers to make outfits for you doesn't mean you are excused from designing garments yourself. And you should probably know how to sew by now, ffs.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Pinwiz11 posted:

I know it's been around before Monique was on the TV, I did some googling and apparently Willam used it when she was in Unhhhh?

Either way, it's Monique who has brought it into day-to-day conversation.

gooped and gagged the house down boots okurrrr was preexisting draggetry

GOOPED and STUNNING are things Monique has tried hard to make catchphrases

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Monet is budget Bob the Drag Queen and does not deserve a crown. Her runways in All Stars are improved from her season but that's not saying much. They're still pretty loving basic and boring catsuits mostly. Monet is not particularly funny or charismatic.

Monet does not deserve a crown.

edit: Monet does not deserve a crown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

spite house posted:

Willam is a fabulous and necessary illustration/component of a thing I've been ruminating on for a while. I call it the Jean Baudrillard Theory of Drag Race.

I'm simplifying a LOT, but Baudrillard's key premise is that human experience is so mediated by interpretation, simulation and spin that there's no way to determine, or even posit, what's "real". (He is best-known for writing a pretty persuasive proof that the first Gulf War didn't actually happen.) We're living in a Matrix of imposed ideas, completely divorced from the quiddity of reality, and in recent years layers of simulation have been accreting ever more rapidly, like irradiated barnacles on the hull of a ship transporting toxic waste.

Enter Drag Race. Drag Race is about people whose job it is to misrepresent reality in a very specific and myth-dependent way. And it's a reality TV show, and reality TV claims to be an accurate representation of reality but isn't, at all, is in fact the opposite of an accurate representation of reality, and the most reliable way to get a good time out of Drag Race -- a fake show pretending to be real, about folks in the business of faking something that was, to a large extent, made up to begin with -- is to interrogate it as a simulation.

The gag of Willam, a person whose job it is to misrepresent reality, who went on the show portraying a fabricated character on top of that, and who has acted the gadfly ever since, is that he points out the simulacrum nature of Drag Race. He's the best bullshit artist who's ever been on this bullshit show, and by his very existence he empowers us to interrogate it as simulation. Love him or hate him, he's a trickster spirit out of myth, invaluable as an agent of chaos. He breaks the frame and invites us to another plane of understanding.

Also he's hilarious and can wear a designer frock like nobody.

The story of RPDR is the story of the commercialization and mainstreaming of drag. Willam and Sharon Needles were arguably the first two RPDR queens to really capitalize from their time on the show and kick their careers into overdrive.

Willam's superpower is being an extremely smart businesswoman (Alaska is another great example). They're all about branding, getting clicks and views on social media, and they're always pursuing a new hustle. If there's a way for a queen to make coin, you bet they're doing it. Gigs at clubs, girl groups, music videos and albums, webseries, merchandise, TV shows, podcasts. They do it all.

In this way, Willam really reflects the essence of RPDR overall, he's a very successful example of the commercialization and mainstreaming of drag. Sure he's very talented and well-rounded as an entertainer, but where he really stands out is on the business end of things.

Basically, I don't think Willam is Loki. He's Tony Stark.

edit: like, Willam dropped out of high school, got himself emancipated, and move to LA to start hustlin' (literally, he was a sex worker).

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 19, 2019