Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime

TheCenturion posted:

Yeah, TOW has a lot of 'the world is waiting for you, specifically, to come solve it's problems,' and is really really obvious about it.

I believe that is in fact an intentional part of the plot. The best and brightest were mostly on the Hope, and everyone else in Halcyon were telephone sanitizers eating tainted food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

MjolnirMan posted:

I believe that is in fact an intentional part of the plot. The best and brightest were mostly on the Hope, and everyone else in Halcyon were telephone sanitizers eating tainted food.

Who have also spent generations being lied to and indoctrinated by capricious corporations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
OTOH when the level of "satire" in your story is at "the corpo managers don't know people will get sick from eating only tuna and salt", it is no longer possible to take seriously and becomes toothless since it completely misses the reality of how the subject of the supposed critique works. And then it's just slapstick with no substance.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

OTOH when the level of "satire" in your story is at "the corpo managers don't know people will get sick from eating only tuna and salt", it is no longer possible to take seriously and becomes toothless since it completely misses the reality of how the subject of the supposed critique works. And then it's just slapstick with no substance.

At that point I think the only way to get any genuine impact out of it is to ride it all the way down into the descent from Analogue: A Hate Story, but then you've got a tragedy/horror story with a main character who's either trying to put some broken pieces back together or out for revenge of some kind.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

MjolnirMan posted:

Not in an “we’re trapped in a cycle of thinking and behavior” way, but in a “my water pump has been broken for five years, and I’m just standing here with a quest icon over my head” way.

Lazy, not diegetic.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Everybody you meet in Outer Worlds is doomed by idiotic passivity when obviously in a real life analogue half of them would be doomed by an idiotic proactiveness :colbert:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You don’t need to do any kind of analysis of the writing to call the first one a crappy game, every single other aspect of the game was about half an inch deep too.

It was a thin coat of retro-futuristic paint over the most generic template they could find. The tiny maps with nothing to see outside of the quest-related POIs might as well have been the larger open spaces from any given corridor shooter in the past decade for all the actual freedom you had to do or find anything.

I’ve said it already but the best way I can describe it is like the game feels like you’re just running around in the theme-park version of an existing property. Just a bunch of generic buildings and landscapes with some fibreglass set dressing on top.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

steinrokkan posted:

They really should have done the Borderlands thing and gone "yeah the corporations are amoral monsters, just shoot things in the face". It wasn't very good in borderlands either but it was at least better than this.

Here they try for "real choice!(tm)" and just give you absolutely bonkers decisions to make. Oh do I help the colony of rugged survivalist who are making it out on their own despite the difficulty or do I help the factory that grinds up orphans to make brake light fluid because otherwise the workers might not get to die of chemical exposure quite as fast.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
> HATE NEWSPAPER
> LOVE NEWSPAPER

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
They should go the Witcher 3 route, where the choice isn't like "are we going to assassinate the king" it's "once we have assassinated the king, the uneasy alliance we have formed in order to assassinate him will collapse. Which faction will Geralt side with?"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

> HATE NEWSPAPER
> LOVE NEWSPAPER

Desire to e bold and adventurous takes over, highlighting the remaining, daredevil option
> SARCASTIC

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Sarcastic confuses me, because the other lines are always a general impression of what you're going to say. Like I'm going to say I hate newspapers, or I'm going to say something about worshiping Atom. But then with Sarcastic it's like, you don't know what you're going to say but it's going to be annoying

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Is that Fallout 4? I just played that with the dialogue menu mod right from the start.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

steinrokkan posted:

You think they put salttuna in those cans? Did you play the game?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Reductive dialogue choices are a problem in quite a few games I've found. Even in Horizon Zero Dawn, which seems to be pretty popular on these forums, though at least they tend to just give you information or follow a consistent through line. Fallout 4 was the worst for the reasons above, but that said, I can't even remember most of the dialogue in TOW outside of some companion interactions.

I didn't mind it when I played Oblivion back in the day, but now, man, just give me some full sentences so I know what I'm actually asking! Some games have done it fine.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
THE ULTIMATE DIET TOOTHPASTE!

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Playing this game for the first time. Is combat supposed to be crazy difficult or did I just not optimize my character for it? I did more of a talky kind of guy but have a few points in guns. Or is a pistol just not powerful enough?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

e: wrong game lol

Uh I don't remember anything about early game Outer Worlds other than the hunting rifle is really good.

vv It's not my fault they use the same thread tag too.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 22, 2021

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

LiterallyATomato posted:

Playing this game for the first time. Is combat supposed to be crazy difficult or did I just not optimize my character for it? I did more of a talky kind of guy but have a few points in guns. Or is a pistol just not powerful enough?

If your playing on supernova then it will smash you at the start. Talky characters can boost your companions to carry you.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Pistols are trash in general. It sounds like you picked a Devastator to start, which is the worst class and hardest to level, but yes combat can become pretty difficult especially if you keep the auto-scaling world tier function on (it is on by default).

There is the larger issue of enemy damage and player damage mitigation being completely hosed after they fixed a load-bearing bug a month ago, but you shouldn't be experiencing that yet if you are still doing the story mode for the first time.

I'm waiting for this to sink in for a second. They are post about another game where you get a truck that looks like hell on wheels.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

LiterallyATomato posted:

It's pretty hard in general early on even on low difficulty as you have no allies, abilities, or gear to really do anything. Your first ally NPC basically changes the entire dynamic.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

If your playing on supernova then it will smash you at the start. Talky characters can boost your companions to carry you.

I'm waiting for this to sink in for a second. They are post about another game where you get a truck that looks like hell on wheels.

Outer Worlds - This is NOT the Outer Wilds NOR Disco Elysium NOR Outriders

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

LiterallyATomato posted:

If you rely heavily on your companions it can help a lot, once you get the second level of any gun you can basically two shot anyone you come across. It's comical how much better the second level items are than the first.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

It was a thin coat of retro-futuristic paint over the most generic template they could find. The tiny maps with nothing to see outside of the quest-related POIs might as well have been the larger open spaces from any given corridor shooter in the past decade for all the actual freedom you had to do or find anything.

I think the obvious comparison here is Mass Effect 2/3 and those games' real solid use of specific open hub areas but the shootylooty happening in linearly connected arenas.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

LiterallyATomato posted:

If you’re playing on Hard I think that’s pretty typical. I didn’t enjoy the balance of Hard at all. I also tried Supernova for a hot minute but that difficulty is just Hard with permanent death for you and your friends. All I could do on Supernova was leave whoever I had with me behind a rock 50 feet away on passive behavior because otherwise they’d die within 5 seconds.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Roadie posted:

I think the obvious comparison here is Mass Effect 2/3 and those games' real solid use of specific open hub areas but the shootylooty happening in linearly connected arenas.

Every map is a Mako section, but you don't even get to drive a funny-janky tank.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Count Uvula posted:

Everybody you meet in Outer Worlds is doomed by idiotic passivity when obviously in a real life analogue half of them would be doomed by an idiotic proactiveness :colbert:

Tbf that's internally consistent with the game setting, where the competent colonialist got stuck in stasis and only the menial workers were left to build a society, and they immediately turned to cargo cult capitalism as a societal structure.

Don't necessarily agree that workers would naturally do that in a world with no entrenched elite, but I can't remember if the game explains how the early colonialist struggles shaped the world.

It probably didn't, because this game is very apolotical :downs:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
As a colonist of the Hope, you can pick your arranged job to be soda clerk which Phineas says that they made vending machines to replace you. I'm pretty sure the corporations were just continuing doing what they did to Earth to Halcyon system. Cheaper faster better.

We can put in less saltuna and use heavier cans!

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Krowley posted:

Tbf that's internally consistent with the game setting, where the competent colonialist got stuck in stasis and only the menial workers were left to build a society, and they immediately turned to cargo cult capitalism as a societal structure.

Don't necessarily agree that workers would naturally do that in a world with no entrenched elite, but I can't remember if the game explains how the early colonialist struggles shaped the world.

It probably didn't, because this game is very apolotical :downs:

The Outer Worlds takes place in an alt-history where the Gilded Age never ended and only got worse. Entrenched capitalism and corporatism wasn't established by the colonists, it was outright the force that sent them to Halcyon with the intent to exploit them for profit.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Ironslave posted:

The Outer Worlds takes place in an alt-history where the Gilded Age never ended and only got worse. Entrenched capitalism and corporatism wasn't established by the colonists, it was outright the force that sent them to Halcyon with the intent to exploit them for profit.

Sure, and that mirrors how colonialist expansion in reality worked as a release valve for the inherent contradictions in capitalism, but the general incompetency and lack of class consciousness is lore-wise explained to by the fact that the leaders and great thinkers were still stuck in cryogenic sleep.

Again, I don't agree with the idea that menial workers can't create a more egalitarian society in a literal vacuum, and it would be great if they went more in-depth as to why it was like that (cryogenic brain-rot?) but the game pulls its punches too much.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

IIRC didn't the corps keep the workers dulled and pliant by turning them into raging alcoholics with subsidized booze?

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Krowley posted:

Sure, and that mirrors how colonialist expansion in reality worked as a release valve for the inherent contradictions in capitalism, but the general incompetency and lack of class consciousness is lore-wise explained to by the fact that the leaders and great thinkers were still stuck in cryogenic sleep.

Again, I don't agree with the idea that menial workers can't create a more egalitarian society in a literal vacuum, and it would be great if they went more in-depth as to why it was like that (cryogenic brain-rot?) but the game pulls its punches too much.
I think the idea that the Hope had all the brains is overstated by Phineas, we meet some really smart people in the colony itself and they could apparently still count on some support from Earth. What the Board had was propaganda, the Law and absolute military superiority... at least up until the Vanderbilt up-and-disappeared with apparently half of their military capacity.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I decided to go back and finish this - I dropped it shortly after arriving on Monarch over a year ago. Had to check the codex and quest descriptions because I'd forgotten nearly everything, but it slowly came back to me.

I enjoyed this for what it is, but there was so much potential for it to be better. I think my main complaint would be that it's too unfocused.

Didn't mind the writing or dialogue for the most part, but I did not like how some quests railroaded me into very dumb choices. This is more of a problem in the earlier parts of the game but it pops up again later on.

I really didn't like how exploration in this game is pointless. You never get anything good for going out of your way - just more consumables and ammo.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

ErrEff posted:

I really didn't like how exploration in this game is pointless. You never get anything good for going out of your way - just more consumables and ammo.
Except for the Nice Hat, I think you find that by going off the beaten path. Same for the Marauder and Sugar Ops armors, now that I think about it... The real sin there is probably that it's hard to get excited about equipment in this game.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

So Private Division and Obsidian have announced The Outer Worlds: Spacer’s Choice Edition.

Private Divsion and Obsidian posted:

he Outer Worlds: Spacer’s Choice Edition is the ultimate way to play the award-winning RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division. Available March 7th, 2023.

You’ve tried the rest, now come back to the best! The Outer Worlds: Spacer’s Choice Edition includes the base game and all add-on content as the definitive way to play the beloved RPG from Obsidian Entertainment. This remastered masterpiece is optimized to be the absolute best version of The Outer Worlds… even if you choose to play this critically acclaimed RPG as the absolute worst version of your character.

Lost in transit while on a colonist ship bound for the edge of the galaxy, you awake decades later only to find yourself in the midst of a deep conspiracy threatening to destroy the colony. Explore the various planets and locations of Halcyon, including the mysterious Gorgon Asteroid and delightful distilleries of Eridanos. As you encounter various factions, all vying for power, the character you decide to become will determine how this player-driven story unfolds.

In the corporate equation for the colony, you are the unplanned variable.

Key Features:

It’s The Outer Worlds you love, but even better: 2019’s hit RPG has been remastered with better graphics, improved performance, additional animations, higher-res environments, and more.

Increased level cap: A higher level cap means even more ways to build your character from the seven branches of the skill tree.

The player-driven story RPG: In keeping with the Obsidian tradition, how you approach The Outer Worlds is up to you. Your choices affect not only the way the story develops, they also affect your character build, companion stories, and end game scenarios.

Lead your companions: During your journey through the furthest colony, you will meet a host of characters who will want to join your crew. Armed with unique abilities, these companions all have their own missions, motivations, and ideals. It's up to you to help them achieve their goals, or exploit them to your own ends.

Explore the corporate colony: Halcyon is a colony at the edge of the galaxy owned and operated by a corporate board. They control everything... except for the alien monsters left behind when the terraforming of the colony’s two planets didn’t exactly go according to plan. Find your ship, build your crew, and explore the settlements, space stations, and other intriguing locations throughout Halcyon.

Players who already have The Outer Worlds and its associated DLC, Murder on Eridanos and Peril on Gorgon, for Xbox One, Xbox Series S/X, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 or PC (Steam, GOG.com, Epic Games Store, or Windows Store), can upgrade to The Outer Worlds: Spacer’s Choice Edition for the latest console generation within that same console family or, if applicable, from that same PC store at a reduced purchase price.*

*Based on Private Division’s suggested retail price for The Outer Worlds: Spacer’s Choice Edition. Limit of one upgrade per account. See platform store for details and terms.

I will wait and see what the enhanced graphics and performance entails. This may get me to play this game finally!

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I already completed the game and DLC but looks like a nice upgrade for anyone looking at starting it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Ooh boy, higher level cap!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yet another game i managed not to beat before it got remastered

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MH Knights posted:

So Private Division and Obsidian have announced The Outer Worlds: Spacer’s Choice Edition.

I will wait and see what the enhanced graphics and performance entails. This may get me to play this game finally!

lol you have to buy it again even if you have all the DLC.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah that better be a massive discount if you own everything. It looks like a nice remaster, especially with actual gameplay changes, so sure like $5 or something maybe. But seems like a mistake for it not to be a free upgrade for people who own everything already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I originally played the base game on PS4 but never bought the game + DLC edition on PC because, as usual with 2K titles, the sale price has been stuck for years (around $45 for the package, I think?). I wonder what the full price is going to be, with today's convenient ~inflation~ excuse.

Was the DLC any good?

orcane fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 28, 2023