Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
> LOG OFF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jonny 290 posted:

stymie's only scared of this because he uses half of a half of a half of a secure password, anything more is gluttonous

no i'm wanting people to avoid being subject to harassment and scams as has happened to myself and multiple others when offering up any sort of personal information to goons/goon projects

i know you want to be flip about it, but i'd rather people be safe

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
it's fine and you're wrong. there's no PII being collected here. just put in whatever.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

logging off is the only way to be safe

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

akadajet posted:

logging off is the only way to be safe

i will never log off

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sniep posted:

it's fine and you're wrong. there's no PII being collected here. just put in whatever.

call me skeptical, but i don't think that this will be the first successful goon project

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Stymie posted:

call me skeptical, but i don't think that this will be the first successful goon project

don't you consider slenderman a successful goon project?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Pham Nuwen posted:

i will never log off

:patriot:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

no way. the kid didn’t even die.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

well, it succeeded in the way that most goon projects "succeed", in that it resulted in harm to others

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

President Beep posted:

no way. the kid didn’t even die.

lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

NoneMoreNegative posted:

yos.binaries.lomarf.lomarf.lomarf

:heysexy:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

Usenet holds a special place in my heart

same.

the longest flamewar i ever read was in sci.math started by the question "is 7 a random number." It lasted almost 18 months.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Stymie posted:

sure hold on a sec while i send a personal email to some rando and start sharing info on what is surely a highly secure nntp server and not a scammer honeypot

so PM him you oaf

why are you people still tolerating stymie

edit: actually please do not

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rotor posted:

so PM him you oaf

sure hold on a sec while i buy plat so i can get harassed via pm again

forgive me if i'm not showing due deference to a terrible idea that will end badly for all involved

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

well stymie i gotta say it's been just as much fun talking to you as I remembered it being

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
huh, how 'bout that, a goon project leader ignoring criticism

quelle surprise

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

what criticism? PM or sign up with a throwaway email account, or better yet don't fuckin sign up at all if you're fuckin stymie

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
my dude, when someone correctly points out that your project is basically a scam/hacker honeypot waiting to happen, maybe take some time to reevaluate rather than digging in further

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

so exactly what do you think can happen here stymie, like what's the worst case situation here, lay it out for us

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I mean for me, the worst case scenario, talking with fuckin stymie of all people, has already come to pass. But for the rest of yospos, what do you see as the threat here?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
well the prospective owner of a site full of user data could throw a big fat hissy fit when criticized, for one thing

that's always a good sign of a stable project

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Stymie posted:

well the prospective owner of a site full of user data could throw a big fat hissy fit when criticized, for one thing

that's always a good sign of a stable project

by 'user data' you mean like posts? like he might delete our precious posts?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

so yeah like I'm not sure if it wasn't like crystal clear or whatever but this is just shits & giggles, not a facebook replacement.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
you really don't get that it's still going to have user data, do you?

my guy, if you really don't get what you're making or how it could impact people perhaps you shouldn't be doing it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Stymie posted:

you really don't get that it's still going to have user data, do you?

what "user data" do you think it's going to have?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

man i hope it's not my IP address

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
another good sign: a project owner getting defensive about just what it is the project is for

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

what "user data" do you think it's going to have?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
y'see friendo, here's the thing: i could tell you exactly what the problem is but you won't believe me or try and laugh it off

i'm not in this to help you make the project a success, i'm here to warn others away since it looks to be a disaster in the offing

i eagerly await your "so you don't know, then?" retort

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Stymie posted:

if you really don't get what you're making

like I have a super clear idea what a private news server is and how it works and what that implies as far as privacy goes but really what I'm getting at is that I'm increasingly sure that you dont.

Stymie posted:

y'see friendo, here's the thing: i could tell you exactly what the problem is but

lmao

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Stymie posted:

y'see friendo, here's the thing: i could tell you exactly what the problem is but you won't believe me or try and laugh it off

i'm not in this to help you make the project a success, i'm here to warn others away since it looks to be a disaster in the offing

i eagerly await your "so you don't know, then?" retort

quoting stymie to say: convince me of the problem and i'll shut down the vm right now. it's only running the news server so the impact would be zero.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

why are you people still tolerating stymie

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rotor posted:

like I have a super clear idea what a private news server is and how it works and what that implies as far as privacy goes but really what I'm getting at is that I'm increasingly sure that you dont.

lmao

yep, called it

can't wait for this to go the way i know it will

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

we will ALWAYS be shutting it down eventually, it's a fuckin lark m8

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pham Nuwen posted:

quoting stymie to say: convince me of the problem and i'll shut down the vm right now. it's only running the news server so the impact would be zero.

buddy, you're the rando setting this whole thing up to fail, i'm not sure what i could say to convince you

again, this isn't for your benefit, it's for everyone else's

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I'm very sorry if I accidentally implied this was some kind of long-term serious thing

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

user data

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rotor posted:

I'm very sorry if I accidentally implied this was some kind of long-term serious thing

doesn't have to be long-term or serious to be harmful, so best to nip it in the bud now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

please sign up for the usenet thing, I need your posting energy to live

• Locked thread