Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

did you know? quoting and/or engaging with stymie slowly turns your brain into poop and farts

can confirm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

i kept trying to play quake 2 but everybody was using custom maps and my dialup connection took so long to download anything that the server would go to the next map before i could actually get in the game

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

also every other counterstrike 1.x server

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Pham Nuwen posted:

i kept trying to play quake 2 but everybody was using custom maps and my dialup connection took so long to download anything that the server would go to the next map before i could actually get in the game

too real

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Stymie posted:

it's not that great of an idea to feed a scammer free email addresses they can use for a variety of bad purposes

stymie was right, it's very difficult for scammers to make their own throw away email addresses

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

instagib servers weren't but young me just got owned in microseconds there

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Stymie posted:

for one thing, it will likely be more connected to you than you think and for another thing it's not that great of an idea to feed a scammer free email addresses they can use for a variety of bad purposes

but sure, i'm certain your personal security is better than everyone else's and that's not just your hubris talking

I’m honestly curious what danger a throw email I used once would pose to me

though I know I probably won’t get specifics from you

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
btw this thread is really great, keep up the good work stymie

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

latest yosnet news: yospos.binaries is created, users fail to properly send multipart binaries. i'm about to try it for myself if i can figure it out

edit: it worked, had to install pan because thunderbird doesn't support multipart binaries

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 12, 2018

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
par2verify my entire rear end

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

My Linux Rig posted:

I’m honestly curious what danger a throw email I used once would pose to me

though I know I probably won’t get specifics from you

to you? possibly nothing

to others? possibly a lot

it all depends on what you wind up posting on the server and if it can be traced back to you

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

seems like the only solution is... not to post

:negative:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
stymie please acknowledge that my ten minute email suggestion is the answer.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i know who stymie is, but i'm not telling you guys

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

akadajet posted:

i know who stymie is, but i'm not telling you guys

"stymie"="MS Yeti"

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Stymie posted:

to you? possibly nothing

to others? possibly a lot

it all depends on what you wind up posting on the server and if it can be traced back to you

I knew you wouldn’t give specifics

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I have a feeling that stymie might not be making these contradictory posts in good faith

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

meanwhile i got obsessed with getting thunderbird to work with binaries

i've never used nntp in any form before (maybe once in the 90s with like outlook express or something, irc was my game then (and now) anyway), so it's like a whole new world

but screw using custom readers for :filez: there must be a way to simply upload a .7z of some sorts without doing it 100 % manually in thunderbird. so right noe im trying to concoct a way to do it in bash, using mpack and slrn

guess i'll have to make a post if i get it to work for the thunderbirders out there

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I had an interview for an internal promotion and one of the questions I got asked was to talk about a layer 4 protocol besides TCP and UDP and I had just read this thread so I said "NNTP for usenet". This is actually completely wrong but it was obscure enough that none of the interviewers knew better and anyway I passed.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

you willingly gave your email address AND credit card info to rich kyanka

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
what does YOSNET do for me, a millennial whom has never used a Usenet?

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Salt Fish posted:

actually completely wrong but it was obscure enough that none of the interviewers knew better and anyway I passed.

this is a time-honored interview technique, congratulations

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

what does YOSNET do for me, a millennial whom has never used a Usenet?

well we shitpost mostly, rotor and stymie seem to be playing tic-tac-toe, and you might like checking out this old-rear end discussion system purely for historical interest. USENET itself was really neat in how it propagated messages, you'd post to your local server and it would periodically exchange messages with its peers, who would exchange with their peers, until eventually your message made it everywhere. we don't do that of course because we only have one server

i will play correspondence chess via usenet if you like but i'm v. bad at chess

we're experimenting with binary uploads but i don't want that to become the loving raison d'être of the server (also the disk is too small for serious quantities of binaries)

it also allows me to steal your social security number and home address with ease so please sign up

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

My Linux Rig posted:

I knew you wouldn’t give specifics

i knew you wouldn't read them

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jonny 290 posted:

you willingly gave your email address AND credit card info to rich kyanka

yes and it has previously been used to harass me personally, so i'm trying to use my experience to warn others

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
also thank you to whomever gave me the red title, i'm sorry i upset you

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Don't quote

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

USENET itself was really neat in how it propagated messages, you'd post to your local server and it would periodically exchange messages with its peers, who would exchange with their peers, until eventually your message made it everywhere.

i fondly remember fidonet even though i probably shouldn't

sorry gotta drop you, midnight maintenance

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Pham Nuwen posted:

we're experimenting with binary uploads but i don't want that to become the loving raison d'être of the server (also the disk is too small for serious quantities of binaries)

tbh this seems like a perfect use case for the alpha centauri games going on :o not so big that you'd have to care about breaking things up into newzbin-style chunks with metadata

hrm okay might have to sign up today

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

psiox posted:

tbh this seems like a perfect use case for the alpha centauri games going on :o not so big that you'd have to care about breaking things up into newzbin-style chunks with metadata

hrm okay might have to sign up today

if the file is less than 10MB-ish you won't need to chunk it

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I am finally ready to log on to the yosnet

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

leenet is the hip-hop network operating system

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

r u ready to WALK posted:

I am finally ready to log on to the yosnet

pfft, look at mr modern technology over here, get back to me when you're ready to dial in at 1200 baud

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

you obviously kept it active after registration, showing lax security protocol. How can we take you seriously when you don't practice what you preach?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Hey folks, what's happening here? I remember Usenet!

:yikes:

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
alt.yospos.flamewar

don your asbestos pants, folks

now that asbestos is cool and normal again in tyool 2018

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jonny 290 posted:

you obviously kept it active after registration, showing lax security protocol. How can we take you seriously when you don't practice what you preach?

well one thing i preach is not blaming a victim, so maybe you ought to take that one to heart

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

also thank you to whomever gave me the red title, i'm sorry i upset you

buying red titles is the most passive aggressive things ever, it's pathetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

buying red titles is the most passive aggressive things ever, it's pathetic
             /
            /

i mean, i agree, it's just really funny coming from your current av

• Locked thread