Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Not sure if I should be sad that Preacher ranked so low, or happy that it recovered so well from Season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

Not sure if I should be sad that Preacher ranked so low, or happy that it recovered so well from Season 2.

Porque no le dos?

I don't know about you but I'm starting to get a little bit tense. Which show have you voted in as your #1 of 2018? Oh, what a mystery it must be for you, friends! I would so dearly love to tell you now but alas, I cannot. Not until we've first taken a look at your #23...

DivisionPost posted:

gently caress you, it's a good show.

cant cook creole bream posted:

This show has always been throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks. That rhetorical wall is now so gross and sticky that nothing falls down any more.

Shneak posted:

I’m actively seeking a therapist just so I can talk-scream about the weekly episodes with no judgement.

23. RIVERDALE (CW)
DOWN 12
26 points, listed 7 times, #1 spot 1 time

You will never be tired of angsty pretty teenagers! Never!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DivisionPost posted:

I've written about this show so often that I don't know what else I can do.

Lurdiak posted:

Why do I relate so much to a 54-year old washed up celebrity horse alcoholic from California?

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Barf me a river, fartbag!

22. BOJACK HORSEMAN (NETFLIX)
DOWN 8
26 points, listed 4 times, #1 spot 1 time

Much like its eponymous title character Bojack might be starting to get a bit long in the tooth but there's still a lot of love out there for it in TV IV.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
BoJack still good as hell. They gotta run out of material sometime though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love Bojack but after the penultimate episode of season 4 I just needed to take a break and I haven't caught up again yet. It was an utterly incredible episode but goddamn was it dark as gently caress.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CeeJee posted:

Doing all they can on a tiny budget with good writing and performances. 

X-O posted:

This season was full of twists I never saw coming.

My favorite time travel show.

21. TRAVELERS (SPACE)
UP 6
26 points, listed 4 times, #1 spot 1 time

:toot: BEST INTERNATIONAL SHOW :toot:

The small sci-fi show from Canada continues to punch above its weight and this year it's also your favourite show from outside the States! But we cannot celebrate it for too long, friends, for we're about to enter the top 20...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ten down, a mere twenty to go. We're plugging our way through and now we've come to your top 20 favourite shows of 2018. The big contenders are all still in play and it is all on the line. Will The Good Place hold on to its crown for a second year or will it be unseated by some young upstart? Legion is still out there. So are both of those Amazon shows and so is American Vandal. The picture starts to get a little bit clearer with your #20...

A big improvement over an already-great first season.

EL BROMANCE posted:

First season was great, second season was great. Third season prediction? Also great.

DivisionPost posted:

A goat, a voodoo priestess, and a kidnapping PSA in the style of USA for Africa.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Heart, soul, wit, television production drama, wrestling, and girls doing all the dirty work.

20. GLOW (NETFLIX)
UP 10
28 points, listed 7 times

In Soviet Union, we do not have Favourite Show lists! We are told which shows to watch and we like them. We are not greedy like you capitalist pigs!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Clicks video
Holy gently caress why the hell haven't I watched this show yet :stwoon:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahah that was the exact video I was hoping it would be

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

Clicks video
Holy gently caress why the hell haven't I watched this show yet :stwoon:

I am so glad that people actually pay attention to those. I almost didn't bother doing them this year!

---

Tiggum posted:

Very violent, very funny.

Lost Season posted:

It's dark humor tuned just right.

HorseRenoir posted:

Crank: The TV Series

bou posted:

The product of a hate-gently caress while on drugs between Crank, Max Payne and Fear&Loathing.

19. HAPPY! (SYFY)
NEW ENTRY
30 points, listed 5 times, #1 spot 1 time

This show's place in the ranking is sure to make some people... content! See what I did there?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just started watching this show (Daredevil) yesterday and the last episode I watched had the scene from the link above (thanks for linking a video with each Rarity, it's cool and good and should continue!) - it was extremely impressive. That said, it was clearly playing off the single-take shot from season 1 and that's pretty indicative of Marvel Netflix as whole: taking things that worked the first time and repeating them again and again to diminishing returns. It used to be I would be excited for each new Marvel release and binge them as quickly as possible. Last year the only one that really had me excited was Jessica Jones season 2 and that turned out to be a letdown (still good, but a big drop in quality), while Luke Cage fell apart at the halfway point and I didn't even bother with Iron Fist after the terrible first season and the godawful Defenders.

Edit: Hang on wasn't Daredevil there a second ago? :thunk:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I have no idea what you're talking about :angel:

ShakeZula posted:

The show got to go out on a very strong note.

Lurdiak posted:

This show absolutely did not deserve cancellation

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

This is why we can't have nice things.

achillesforever6 posted:

Pissed off that the Marvel Netflix universe is basically collapsing in on itself.

18. DAREDEVIL (NETFLIX)
RE-ENTRY
31 points, listed 6 times

The only one of the Marvel Netflix shows to make your main countdown this year, Daredevil comes in respectably at #18. What will we do once these shows have all been scoured by the Disneypocalypse?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Happy and Daredevil were both pretty cool. Sucks that DD got cancelled but it wrapped up well. Oops at the mistake I guess!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
LOOK I'VE DONE FOUR OF THESE AND IT'S THE FIRST TIME I'VE SCREWED UP CUT ME SOME SLACK MOM

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Welcome to the Rarity Top 10 Poll threads, where nothing can possibli go wrong!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I cannot even believe this grievous error

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

In my upcoming thread, Rarity's Top 10 Poll Mistakes, this is definitely at least top seven

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL TURN THIS POLL AROUND AND GO BACK TO #30 :argh:

---

This is in all senses a great remake.

Lurdiak posted:

An extremely stylish and visually creative romp.

Andrew_1985 posted:

More cannibalism than I expected.

Rarity posted:

#NotMySalem

17. THE CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA (NETFLIX)
NEW ENTRY
32 points, listed 6 times

#TheCatMustChat :colbert:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m very happy for all the fans of this bad show that it made it this high!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Susie is great and I'm so sad that this fell off my top 10.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:fry:

I just remembered it’s after 3pm! :slick:

I forgot about Westworld, it probably should have been on my list... :ohdear:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Friends, we draw ever closer to finding out your #1 show of 2018. There are still so many big shows yet to be revealed. Will one of them be revealed next...

CeeJee posted:

A character unlike anything you've ever seen

bagrada posted:

It immediately caught my focus and attention.

Rocksicles posted:

Everyone on this show loving crushed it.

A brilliant show about two strong, smart, capable women.

16. KILLING EVE (BBC AMERICA)
NEW ENTRY
32 points, listed 5 times

2018 was a big year for women on television with a host of big roles available but perhaps none were bigger than Villanelle. And that means we've reached the halfway point! It's all downhill from here!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I forgot about Westworld

Did it not look like anything to you? :ohdear:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Killing Eve was real good! Some stuff in the second half stopped it from making my top 10 but the writing and performances from the two leads was excellent

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Corte posted:

Always worth the wait and leaves me wanting more.

I've been watching and loving this show since it debuted.

achillesforever6 posted:

Keeps fresh despite being nearly 15 years old.

Tenzarin posted:

Old school that's right, like men!

15. THE VENTURE BROS (ADULT SWIM)
RE-ENTRY
33 points, listed 6 times, #1 spot 1 time

:toot: BEST ANIMATED SHOW :toot:

The longest running show in your countdown shows that age ain't nothing but a number with a solid #15 place finish.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

15 years old, only 7 seasons, quality increases every season... it's the reverse-Survivor!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The top 10 is fast approaching but with so many great shows in the running some are going to fall short. We're still waiting to hear from Cobra Kai. We're still waiting on The Americans. We're still waiting on 12 Monkeys. Will it be one of those to fall at this next hurdle? It's time to find out as we look at your #14...

Rocksicles posted:

Best end to a show in a very long time.

Regy Rusty posted:

I have rarely seen a show have such a satisfying conclusion.

X-O posted:

It knew where it was going from the beginning and it was lucky enough to get there.

ShakeZula posted:

The best time travel story I've ever seen.

14. 12 MONKEYS (SYFY)
UP 24
33 points, listed 4 times, #1 spot 2 times

While it couldn't get enough votes for a top 10 spot it's still a fantastic result for 12 Monkeys as it's final season pushes it up to its highest ever placing in your poll!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Senerio posted:

A super fun nostalgia trip.

DivisionPost posted:

Could've and maybe should've come off like bullshit hipster revisionist fan fiction.

Rocksicles posted:

Best revival show, period.

Propaganda Machine posted:

It's the reboot to justify reboots.

13. COBRA KAI (YOUTUBE RED)
NEW ENTRY
36 points, listed 4 times, #1 spot 2 times

:toot: HIGHEST AVERAGE
:toot:

Oh no, the underdog show waxes off just a little too soon to miss out on the top 10. Perhaps it would have had more love if it wasn't on Youtube Red. Still, it's established itself and its network as a genuine contender for the future.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cobra Kai was way better than I expected, and is definitely worth checking out.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We're so close to that illusive top 10 now but still we must wave goodbye to more shows before we can get there. Here's what you voted in at #12...

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's a show that remembers that joy is an emotion.

bou posted:

If you're fed up with that broody grimdark poo poo, watch it.

CeeJee posted:

It's not silly, just good character development.

Andrew_1985 posted:

Wait, come back! You have to watch this show! 

12. LEGENDS OF TOMORROW (CW)
UP 16
37 points, listed 5 times, #1 spot 1 time

:toot: BEST ON THE CW :toot:

It couldn't quite crack the top 10 but Legends of Tomorrow shows that there's still life in the Arrowverse yet. Praise Beebo!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I was genuinely expecting the puppets but good clips for the latest two.

Cobra Kai was super good and I'm glad it exists.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
And so we come, friends, to the precipice. The top 10 awaits but for one show it will have to live with the sad fate of falling just short. Will it be Atlanta? Will it be Patriot? Will it be Better Call Saul? There's only one way to find out as we jump into your #11...

adhuin posted:

There's only tragedy and misery in this show.

Senerio posted:

Humanity as a whole will breathe a collective sigh of relief when the show ends.

Tiggum posted:

Only a psychopath could find any joy in it.

Regy Rusty posted:

I’m so happy with this show.

11. LEMONY SNICKET'S A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS (NETFLIX)
UP 21
40 points, listed 6 times, #1 spot 1 time

Friends, I assure you that this is a just result. There is no place in the top 10 for a show of such horror and wickedness, a word here describing the quality of being evil or morally wrong. The final season of this show has already been released but I implore you please do not seek this show out lest you desire to be left with feelings of discontent and deep ambivalence.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can’t believe even six people could watch something so incredibly upsetting and vile

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

I can’t believe even six people could watch something so incredibly upsetting and vile

I bet they're a bunch of dirty cakesniffers!

At last, friends! After our long travels and arduous journeys we reached the promised land of the top 10. From here on out every show can justly claim to have been one of the best shows of the year. But will any of them have the quality to topple The Good Place from its perch at the top of the mountain? We'll find out soon but first here's your #10...

drat near perfect.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Would feel wrong for it to be anything else.

ShakeZula posted:

The showrunners absolutely stuck the landing here.

CeeJee posted:

Everyone has a chance for happiness in their futures and they deserved that. 

Fast Luck posted:

RIP communism.

10. THE AMERICANS (FX)
UP 51
43 points, listed 5 times, #1 spot 2 times

It's a big return to form as The Americans storms back into the top 10 with its final season with a bigger rise than the costs of private healthcare. Oh capitalism, who won't you exploit? Aho. A ho ho ho.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Props on picking that video for ASOUE. It is one of the less tragic videos you could have picked for this show.

I hope that, despite the horror of that show, Louis Hynes has a long career ahead of him as the high spot of that cast.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
good job, the americans, which I still have not seen past the second season of

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Things are already getting tense in the top 10 and they'll get even tenser when I tell you that this next show missed out on moving up a spot by just one point! But which show could it be? Will it be American Vandal? Will it be The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel? Could it even be The Good Place? Here's your #9...

nate fisher posted:

So original.

bagrada posted:

The characters were still great

Fast Luck posted:

They still hit the right tone in some of the dark humor.

ShakeZula posted:

Equal parts hilarious and emotionally devastating.

Escobarbarian posted:

Please join me in praying for a renewal.

Bone dry in the best possible way.

9. PATRIOT (AMAZON)
DOWN 1
45 points, listed 6 times, #1 spot 1 time

It couldn't quite push forward but Patriot holds on for its second top 10 finish. A worthy result for a very worthy show. Here's hoping it's still around to be eligible for this poll next year.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Definitely shoulda counted Looten Plunder’s list :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Friends, there are so many great shows still in contention! Oh, how I wish that they could all be #1 but sadly that is not to be. There is only room for one at the top and the rest will have to fall aside much like the show you voted in at #8...

bowmore posted:

The story is just weird and wonderful.

Oasx posted:

Very weird, and I like weird.

fancy stats posted:

It remains very weird and very much fun to look at.

bagrada posted:

The show is quite a trip.

ShakeZula posted:

Also great: the Jon Hamm-narrated interludes on mental illness.

Corte posted:

I honestly loved it and am looking forward to the new season more than any other show.

8. LEGION (FX)
DOWN 6
46 points, listed 7 times, #1 spot 1 time

Even with lots of disappointment around its sophomore season Legion still manages a top 10 finish and ensures that Marvel wins the comics on TV war yet again for the 5,853rd year running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Not enough Aubrey Plaza :colbert: