Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

I felt kind of underwhelmed after creating my list, but I think 2017 might've just been one of the best years of TV ever. That's not to say that there weren't shows that I absolutely adored this year, because there absolutely were.

Honourable mention to Always Sunny in Philadelphia, a show that I've always watched sporadically but has never really stuck with me. This season's finale was absolutely gorgeous.

10. Silicon Valley - I feel like this show has slipped a lot for me the last few seasons, but when its good (Jared), it's awfully loving funny.

9. Brooklyn Nine-Nine - This is just an incredibly reliable funny show. I know what I'm getting, and thats 20 pretty fun minutes. And that's pretty cool.

8. Westworld - Kiksuya is the only reason this is on my list. The whole show is the sort of big mystery box that I cannot bring myself to give a single gently caress about, but that one episode is so very good.

7. Legion - Not nearly as good as season 1, but it remains very weird and very much fun to look at.

6. Parts Unknown - RIP Anthony Bourdain. In my mind, this will be as close to perfect as a travel show can get.

5. American Vandal - I'm bummed this got canceled. The new season managed to stay fresh and while I don't think it was quite as laugh-out-loud funny as the first, I think it might have landed just as resonant a message.

4. The Terror - I expected this to be dark, and it did not disappoint. It's wonderfully acted, beautifully shot, and does an exceptional job of building an unforgivingly cold and dreadful atmosphere.

3. Barry - I didn't expect this to go quite so dark, but it's loving great. Bill Hader (and Harry Winkler, and everybody else) delivers an amazing performance. Kind of wanting to hang out with the Chechen mob not a takeaway I expected from a TV show on 2018 (or anything, really).

2. The Good Place - I was originally pretty skeptical that it could maintain its quality with its latest setting change returning to Earth, but I'm very glad to be eating crow here. This show is a goddamn treasure. It's also noteworthy just how nice this show is, which helps when some of the other items this list were very much not.

1. Atlanta - Teddy Perkins, y'all. Also literally everything else. Donald Glover, Hiro Murai and company can do no wrong. The show does whatever it wants and nails every single goddamn thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU