Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Also, I'm pretty sure Travellers hasn't aired yet this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Mine will be very late as usual because Escape at Dannemora doesn’t finish until the 30th and if the rest of the season is as good as the latest episode there’s a possibility it could make it in

I've heard that Netflix is probably dropping Black Mirror this month, so I think there'll be a lot of last minute addendum and additions in general -- if that is in fact the case.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

quote:

7. Deadline for submissions is 1st January 00:00AM PST. I'll then do a live countdown of the final results in the New Year!

Given that Black Mirror is being released tomorrow (and assuming it "counts" as television, and not as a movie or whatever) would it be possible to extent this deadline a week, much like a similar release date for Black Mirror pushed forward the deadline last year?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Cutting it fine, but here's my top ten for the year:

(of course the guy who asked for the extension would be one of the last ones to post)

Almost Runs:
Patriot S2: Very good, didn't finish in time
The Deuce S2: Very good, didn't finish.
Atlanta: Very good, didn't finish.
Castle Rock: Wtf were they thinking with episode nine?
The Terror: Well produced, frequently well written. Some nice performances. However, I don’t think this managed to shake off the deeply homophobic qualities of the novel. If your fight between chaos and order is going to put the sexless gays on the order side, and explicitly link anal with evil, you can go jump into a polar bear.
YOU: Super good pilot and finale, shame about some of the middle.
Killing Eve: Really good for most of its run, but outside its central relationship I'm not convinced it's got legs.
Barry: Well drawn, but it ended in a deeply boring place. Excited for season 2.
The Magicians, Van Helsing, Wynonna Earp, Happy!, Killjoys, The Expanse: Syfy has the best pulp on television.
Steven Universe: Get your act together!

10. Fortitude, Season 3

By far the best thing about this show is watching people who enjoyed the show back in season one -- when it pretended the show would just be a murder mystery -- squirm at how utterly batshit Fortitude has become. I love it though. Shame the third and final season is so short, but I appreciate what I got. Taut, effective thriller that starts at a run and ends in a frenzy. Loved it.

9. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Season 3B and 4A

I’ve seen the criticism a million times before: couples always break up on tv, but we rarely ever see couples go the distance together. How much rarer still is seeing the dramatic journey of a single person making healthy decisions? That’s what compels me about the show in its current form, and gives me hope as a person who suffers from similar problems himself. The back half of the show’s third season is rough, but its fourth has been strong, moving, funny and sad. I’m not ready to say goodbye to these characters.

8. Corporate Season 1

A really funny, nasty show about feeble people working for a relentless organisation. Hates the way we talk about Black Mirror. Fun!

The cinnamontography!

7. Superstore, Season 3B and 4A

It's the flip side of Corporate, with the sweetness of its characters subverted by their inevitable futility of corporate reform. Amy's rant at her benignly unhelpful store manager ("Kill yourself! Just kill yourself!") is a series highlight, though it doesn't even begin to make up for the show's deeply grim Target episode.

6. Legends of Tomorrow, Seasons 3B and 4A

Like a lot of contemporary television, Legends is an emotionally driven soap opera. Unlike most television, it's a show that remembers that joy is an emotion.

5. Sharp Objects

It’s artsy Southern Gothic, supported by some excellent performances. It’s nowhere near as smart as its often suggested to be, but it’s a deeply emotional production, and one that manages to capture the subjective, floundering feelings of its protagonist in powerful and compelling fashion.

4. Counterpart, Seasons 1 and 2A

A great show about sad spies, who are forced to come to term with how poo poo their life choices are when they encounter their alternate universe copies. Strongest ensemble on television, a collection of Hey-It's-That-Character-Actor-s, like J.K. Simmons, Olivia Williams, Harry Lloyd, Nazanin Boniadi, James Cromwell, Betty Gabriel, etc. etc. etc. etc. down to the smallest of parts. Just wonderful to see them work every week. Surprisingly well plotted too, and criminally underwatched.

3. Channel Zero: Butcher's Block and Channel Zero: Dream Door

(this counts as one show, right? If not, just put down Channel Zero / or the Butcher's block season, which is the superior one IMO)

The Argento season (Butcher's Block) sent a hot spike right into the fear centre of my brain, and pinned me there. This year I’ve been dealing with similar issues to those presented on the show, so this got me good. How much can you give before it becomes emotional cannabilism? How much can you sacrifice before you’re eating yourself? Horrible stuff.

The dePalma season is more obviously propulsive and lurid, and I felt it could be frustratingly explicit. But I feel there’s a lot there lurking under the surface, and I'm keen to come back to it at some point.

2. Black Earth Rising

It's the newest Hugo Blick, concerning the Rwandan Genocide and the ongoing damage caused by international intervention in Africa. It's well written, incredibly shot, looks immaculate, and moves through plot at a mile a minute. The cast is killer, led by John Goodman and Michaela Coel. Fantastic.

1. Heathers (uncut)

I know this show was trashed for being a reactionary, conservative screed that punched down on minorities while lauding the unsung praises of white privilege, but that's loving dumb and nonsense and also wrong. Heathers is leftist as poo poo, but also has some tough things to say about liberal complacency. I reckon it's exactly the sort of thing people need to be hearing right now.

The finale was one of the most deliciously nasty hours of television I've seen in a long time, a slow motion car crash that'd been building for the entire season. A fun successor to the original, entirely because it was just as taboo challenging as the original was.