Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

California drivers are the worst for dumbness. Ny drivers worst for aggression, tied with NOVA.

California is the state where they rack up fatalities every time it rains because people don't know how yo slow down when it's wet. And also obviously huge numbers of unlicensed illegal drivers with no insurance

Are you kidding me? It starts sprinkling and everyone goes 40mph on the loving highway in California. People ain’t ever driven through 6 inches of snow at 70mph in a loving geo metro before suddenly start worrying about their tire choice on their suv with traction control and all wheel drive when they don’t even know their windshield wipers have a “high” setting. :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!

raton posted:

Do they also get mad when you have people over and someone parks in "their" space
Yes.

Anyway all I ask is that people be predictable with their driving and pay attention. If you are going 30 and pass a sign that says 45 and you are still going 30 you are an rear end in a top hat. If you stop to let everyone turn right in front of you despite the fact that they just rolled up and everyone behind you has been stuck in the same mile of road for the past 15 minutes, you are an rear end in a top hat. Stop being nice and take your turn (quickly) when you are supposed to. I'd rather someone go out of turn fast than two idiots playing the "no sir, after you" game for 30 seconds.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Are you kidding me? It starts sprinkling and everyone goes 40mph on the loving highway in California. People ain’t ever driven through 6 inches of snow at 70mph in a loving geo metro before suddenly start worrying about their tire choice on their suv with traction control and all wheel drive when they don’t even know their windshield wipers have a “high” setting. :jerkbag:

I love how everyone seems to forget that snow and ice have an adverse effect on braking distance and that you need to drive accordingly, especially if you've not bothered to swap your "all seasons" for "winter" ones. Last time we had a snow that accumulated more than 3cm it took me 2 hours and 50 minutes to make a 12 minute drive because every intersection, on and off ramp, and gradual turn was plugged with idiots who assumed that their All Wheel Dive vehicles allow them to drive like it's a summer afternoon.

Also I was stupid enough to drive into the ditch the snowstorm before because an idiot in a Suburban started to brake waaaaay too late. I was thinking, "oh no! He's going to rear-end me" when I should have been thinking, "Oh yes! I'm going to get rear-ended :homebrew:"

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
it's about that time of year that i will see trucks on the side of the road who forgot that we live in michigan and when it snows/sleets/is icy, you better slow the gently caress down.

every, single, year, i see a truck who wanted to speed past everybody on the side of the road smashed to poo poo or they hit another car because they forgot black ice is a thing. if you hit black ice on the freeway and start spinning out, it's the scariest thing in the world to go through.

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
I'm just gonna stop in the middle here I'll just be a sec

*BLINKBLINKBLINKBL8NKBLBIKBOLKINBK*

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
*Blink blink blink*

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
*Blink*

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
The car's empty but it looks like a child might be in the back

*Blink blink blink blink*

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
*blink blink blink blink blink blink*

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
*been blinking for a while now*

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
*blinknblink blink blink*

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

it's about that time of year that i will see trucks on the side of the road who forgot that we live in michigan and when it snows/sleets/is icy, you better slow the gently caress down.

every, single, year, i see a truck who wanted to speed past everybody on the side of the road smashed to poo poo or they hit another car because they forgot black ice is a thing. if you hit black ice on the freeway and start spinning out, it's the scariest thing in the world to go through.

They don't use road salt in Michigan?

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Pewdiepie posted:

They don't use road salt in Michigan?

we use so much road salt we are rated like #1 in traffic accidents and bad roads nationwide. michigan has the unique problem of not only having some of the dumbest and most unpredictable weather possible, a state government who can't agree on what to do about our roads, and trucks carrying 2.5x the weight limit they would be allowed in other states. our roads are god awful. also, if it just started snowing or sleeting, the trucks aren't even out yet.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
It's weird how often people will zigzag into oncoming traffic to pass me for the sake of making a right turn that they could've just made the normal way if they'd stayed behind my car in the lane they were already in and waited an additional eight seconds.

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
*blinkblimkblinkblinkblink*

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
*Blink blink blink blink*

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
*BLINKBLINKBLINKBLINKBLINKBLINK*

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
*Blink x1000*

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Free Cheese posted:

*Blink x1000*

*Breaks a bottle on your side window and drives away*

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Hey anyone see my car?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

gey muckle mowser posted:

if you change lanes or turn without using a turn signal you should have your license taken away, it's literally the easiest thing you can do while driving. like just flick your fingers slightly, you don't even have to move your hand you assholes

also 90% of the time it is BMW and Audi drivers that do this. :murder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov4JvTiQWUU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Iron Crowned posted:

Where I grew up it was a ticketable offense to have high beams on if there was an oncoming car.

I have noticed this too though. The worst ones are definitely the trucks who's high beams are being redirected through the rear view mirror.

There's a god drat arms race as to who can make the brightest and most annoying headlights and I fuckin hate it.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Why don’t you just stop right behind the blinky lights car and honk until they move, it’s the alpha thing to do

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Why don’t you just stop right behind the blinky lights car and honk until they move, it’s the alpha thing to do

This is the right thing to do.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
People in my neighborhood like to stop and talk to each other while they're driving their car is down the two-lane road... Like they just loving stop in the street and roll their windows down and have a conversation while their cars are blocking the entire street, which does not have any shoulder whatsoever and so there is literally no way to get around them, and then when I am trying to get to work and interrupt their conversation they flip me off for rudely honking at them when they're trying to talk

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

raton posted:

If there's no one around to signal to or if the fact that I'm doing either of these things is already obvious to everyone I often don't bother, but I drive a ratbox of a Honda.

See, this I never understand. Why do you even need to have this consideration in your head? You're guaranteed to gently caress it up sooner or later. Flipping on the signal should just be muscle memory and you should do it every time, it's not hard.

Today I hate people who roll through 4 way stops but do it way slower than it would have been to just stop, look, and accelerate

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

InediblePenguin posted:

People in my neighborhood like to stop and talk to each other while they're driving their car is down the two-lane road... Like they just loving stop in the street and roll their windows down and have a conversation while their cars are blocking the entire street, which does not have any shoulder whatsoever and so there is literally no way to get around them, and then when I am trying to get to work and interrupt their conversation they flip me off for rudely honking at them when they're trying to talk

I've seen people do similar at the loving grocery store. A big fuckall truck pulls up to some one walking the other direction and just rolls down the window and starts talking, why?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not turning my signal on if I am in a left turn lane. Deal with it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Moridin920 posted:

I'm not turning my signal on if I am in a left turn lane. Deal with it.

that's fine when you are waiting *unless* you are the first in the line, or if it's not a dedicated left turn lane and you're at the end of the line - then you should have it on. you should also turn it on when making the turn.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

if I ever go on a rampage like Michael Douglas in "Falling Down" this is on the top of my list of things to do

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Walrus posted:

that's fine when you are waiting *unless* you are the first in the line, or if it's not a dedicated left turn lane and you're at the end of the line - then you should have it on. you should also turn it on when making the turn.

If I'm first in line I'll flip it on

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

raton posted:

I've never been in an accident, my fault or another's, and that includes a crump of years driving an ambulance around NYC. Knowing where everyone is around you and communicating your intent (largely through the behavior/posture of your vehicle, signals are often misleading or vague but do sometimes help) are the most important things.

I've always been a very defensive driver and I've had only two accidents, neither of which were my fault, and neither of which were avoidable by me in any way, which is absolutely lovely.

The first was on the highway when a bucket fell off of the back of a flatbed, bounced off the road, and slammed back down on my hood in JUUUUST the right spot to loving smash open the latch for the hood and cause it to fly up and slam down on my windshield and the roof of my car. It all happened in the span of like 5 seconds at 65+ MPH and I never got the guy's plates so woop insurance didn't give a gently caress.

The second was when I was at a stop light, waiting to turn, and a lady in an SUV slammed into me at 60 MPH. The speed limit was 35 MPH. She hit me so hard I hit the person in front of me and the recoil broke my seat and knocked open my glove box. I got out to check on her and exchange insurance information, and she kindly informed me she only had one leg, which I verified was not my fault before she continued to refuse to hand over insurance. The trunk of my car was caved in by three feet from the impact, and she tried to tell the cops she was fully stopped and that I had acted like the light was green so she did, too.

Man the look on that's cop face when he walked away from her and looked at the rear of my car was priceless. Insurance at least covered this one but the lady never told her insurance company about the accident, so when I called them to get my money they were like 'whaaaaaat, noooo.' Of course, my Buick took the worst of it and her SUV was basically untouched, and the drat thing had to be totaled.

Kwosge
Dec 6, 2005

Lincoln-fish, the most powerful of all the Lincoln based animals.
1) Mother fuckers who roll through stop signs but stop and yield signs even though no one is coming.

It is as if they want to violate as many rules as they can.

2) fuckers who leap frog an exit. Usually when there isn't a dedicated exit lane and the exit is backed up so people get off the highway way under speed.

Boy howdy, if they don't floor it, pass one car, and then cut right in so close the bumpers butterfly kiss then they might just die.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kwosge posted:

1) Mother fuckers who roll through stop signs but stop and yield signs even though no one is coming.

2) fuckers who leap frog an exit. Usually when there isn't a dedicated exit lane and the exit is backed up so people get off the highway way under speed.

Boy howdy, if they don't floor it, pass one car, and then cut right in so close the bumpers butterfly kiss then they might just die.

yeah it is super annoying and dangerous and for what

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Kwosge posted:

I live on the corner of my block, across the street from a church, even, and people don't give a fuuuuuuuck about stopping. One time a guy yelled at me that he didn't give a gently caress as he sped by in his luxury vehicle with tinted windows. I mean, I did yell that the red sign means stop but apparently that was just too much.

Zoe posted:

It's weird how often people will zigzag into oncoming traffic to pass me for the sake of making a right turn that they could've just made the normal way if they'd stayed behind my car in the lane they were already in and waited an additional eight seconds.

Even worse than this, is the people who creep up on the right through the parking lane (when there's an unmarked area on the street wide enough for two lanes in a direction but only painted for one lane each way, that's the parking lane over there on the right. The giveaway is all the loving parked cars there in front of people's houses and businesses) and pass you, in the intersection, because God forbid they not push their fine German engineering to the limit at all times.

I live in Chicago, which apparently passed LA as shittiest place to drive a while back. It's loving rough, and at least half the drivers here couldn't pass a driving exam if their lives depended on it. You don't even take a test when you renew in Illinois. In and out at the DMV, which is nice, but then you have to have to deal with all the poo poo already posted about in the topic. It's like thinking a couple steps ahead is rocket science. You want to move, but also not to brake. When I pass you for the fifth time I just laaaaaugh, I'm not even trying to.

I'm also an Uber driver (because I'm a terrible liar to HR people) which means I often have to find a place to park so I can wait for my shitbrained singleton UberPOOL customers to obviously see me because lol if you think they're going to be waiting on the street looking for me. If I can get in an actual spot, to wait, I will but that's not always an option.

Everyone is an inconsiderate rear end, basically, except me, I'm cool and good.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Rip Testes posted:

2) Idlers (sometimes employing hazards). These lazy individuals that think the fire lane in front of the grocery or the extended sidewalk curb in front of whatever strip mall storefront makes a more convenient parking space than the visibile open space in the lot near to them if they gave poo poo about anyone other than themselves and clogging up traffic in the shopping plaza parking lot. Oftentimes they are seen staring into their smart phones while doing so.

Oftentimes it's the driver who leaves their car idling in the fire lane while their passenger sits and waits. In a world without consequences, which these assholes seem to live in, I'd start zip-tying shopping carts to their door handles.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
ppl who start aggressively braking BEFORE entering the median when making left turns can DIE

same for ppl slowing down to loving 2mph to turn right off a main road.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

star eater posted:

ppl who start aggressively braking BEFORE entering the median when making left turns can DIE

same for ppl slowing down to loving 2mph to turn right off a main road.

So much anger. Chill!

Good driving practice story. I live off a county highway and shift over to the opposing lane when turning left into my neighborhood. Of course it’s flat and straight and I can see for a mile ahead of me, but people don’t have to slow then behind me. Is this bad? Yelllllllll at me toooo.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

NoWake posted:

Oftentimes it's the driver who leaves their car idling in the fire lane while their passenger sits and waits. In a world without consequences, which these assholes seem to live in, I'd start zip-tying shopping carts to their door handles.

:stare: Thank you for this idea!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Blistex posted:

:stare: Thank you for this idea!

My EDC easily overcomes this nuisance person obstructing my freedoms.

• Locked thread