Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Is there any evidence for that or is it pure speculation? Because quite frankly, if I had to choose between those and elusive targets I'd choose those every single time :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Pilchenstein posted:

Is there any evidence for that or is it pure speculation? Because quite frankly, if I had to choose between those and elusive targets I'd choose those every single time :v:

iirc there was some evidence, but I forget quite what.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Well i just finished colombia,gently caress colombia.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I actually quite like Colombia! It's probably not my favourite H2 map (which would be Mumbai I guess?) but I like that it has quite a few distinct areas. Whittleton Creek is probably my least favourite.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Columbia is very spread out, but there’s a hell of a lot going on, and it’s easy to completely be unaware of some of the different areas (like the mine/underground workshop).

Whittleton Creek is seriously lacking in detail for what’s a very small block of real estate in the suburbs. All of the houses should be enterable, not just 6. Also a municipal building would have been nice, like a community centre or library.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Whittleton Creek making you do the loving evidence hunt every single time is what makes it the worst of the H2 maps tbh.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Well my computer’s absolutely dying on its arse right now so by the time i get a new one maybe i’ll see columbia in a different light.

Or maybe trump will have launched the nukes by then.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Let's settle this once and for all, best 2 worst

Hokkaido
Sapienza
Paris
Miami
Mumbai
Rich Person Illuminati Island, starts with an 'S'
Haven
Morocco (night)
Sapienza (movie)
Whittleton Creek
New York
Colombia
Morocco
Hokkaido (PZ)
Sapienza (PZ)
Hawke's Bay
Colorado (PZ)
Bangkok (PZ)
Sapienza (politician)
ICA cuba set
ICA boat set
Bangkok
Colorado

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've never seen someone rank the movie set that high. It's right down with colorado and holiday hoarders for me. Hokkaido on top is objectively correct however

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

I've never seen someone rank the movie set that high. It's right down with colorado and holiday hoarders for me. Hokkaido on top is objectively correct however

I give it props for being one of the most dramatic map re-imaginings vs. changing time of day and calling it a day. I also was fond of the one ET on the map and the various ways you can try and SA him.

I gave extra points to several maps for having generally chill vibes

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Okay now I have to do it too.

1.) Hokkaido - fairly compact but full of character and some great kills for both targets.

2.) Sapienza - gorgeous, lots going on; mission is slightly let down by the virus bit which feels slightly tagged on but very good nonetheless.

3.) Paris - in some ways a fairly basic level in terms of layout but the fashion show is a great gimmick and the amount of options make it fun to play in both campaign and contracts mode.

4.) Mumbai - capturing areas like this in games is hard because of the limitations but I think it does as good a job as possible with it.

5.) Morocco (night) - much improved over the main Morocco mission due to its lively street atmosphere.

6.) Colombia - lots going on that is very easy to miss the first time, making it fun to explore.

7.) Haven - kind of small but it looks awesome, and as a setting for a Hitman game it works quite well.

8.) Sgail - great atmosphere but idk, I also find it kind of repetitive and frustrating in places too. I should git gud.

9.) Morocco - suffers from the school and the consulate feeling so distant and the streets being underused, but one of the targets basically being Assange is a great Hitman concept.

10.) Miami - suffers from the racetrack basically splitting the map in two, I find it gets boring quite quickly.

11.) Sapienza PZ and Sapienza Politician (tied) - both use only a small part of the map but the targets are great, especially Not Berlusconi.

12.) Whittleton Creek - looks great but the main mission is hurt by the clue hunt, and overall there's not much underneath the surface.

13.) New York - nice to have a full interior level but it'd be better if the target did more.

14.) Hokkaido (PZ) - great gimmick, albeit one that is now quite discomforting; it's a shame that there aren't many options for the two main targets.

15.) Bangkok - really hurt by the hotel being split in two and half of it being practically inaccessible, as well as a forgettable secondary target. The stuff with the band is good.

16.) Bangkok (PZ) - same as above but with even fewer options.

17.) Colorado (PZ) - I'm real bad at the sniper maps and haven't included the rest of them here but this one is the most fun.

18.) Sapienza (movie) - too constricted, doing almost anything feels like a game of Jenga.

19.) ICA sets - all things considered, these are probably the best tutorials in any Hitman game, but they are still just tutorials.

20.) Hawke's Bay - a somewhat unnecessary tutorial area that's too small. The interactions between the target and her boyfriend are fun.

21.) Colorado - I never played the original 2016 version and although I think an all-hostile map in Hitman has some potential, overall this one's too flat and oppressive. Sean Rose has some fun opportunities but four targets is way too much for one mission.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Is this the entire map as a whole, or specifically the map-tied mission, or what?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Discendo Vox posted:

Is this the entire map as a whole, or specifically the map-tied mission, or what?

I sort of tried to do a bit of both with mine. Mostly the main missions I guess, because I don't play contracts mode a great deal and I missed the elusive targets entirely.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
My only wish for Hokkaido is for there to be some way to get onto the roof of the public area building so you can get a sniper angle on Soders. At least you can snipe the heart.

I rate Paris slightly higher than Sapienza. Paris has a porous layout that can create some really interesting routes, whereas Sapienza is a bit more clustered into separate hubs.

Colorado is hugely improved in Hitman 2 with bushes imo, but yes four targets is too much.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I sort of tried to do a bit of both with mine. Mostly the main missions I guess, because I don't play contracts mode a great deal and I missed the elusive targets entirely.

Still glad to see you give appropriately high marks to nighttime Morocco :cheers:

That has my favorite ET but it's also an interesting example of making the map smaller and denser vastly improving it (I don't hate the consulate but the school suuuucks)

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Haven’t finished Hitman 2018 yet

Paris) i wish novikov and margolis would cross paths just a bit more but i do love sneaking around downstairs and 47 as a model is a brilliant start.

Sapienza) loving hate the virus and i wish the priest outfit had more uses

Marrakesh) Zeydan is boring and a waste of Jason isaacs but strandberg is hilariously sleazy (Zeydans best when he’s screaming for strandberg in the tunnels.
As with most crowd levels they really add gently caress all except slow you down and i hate it.

Bangcock) Contracts did it better and the targets are boring and fiddly.

Colorado) 4 targets is too much and they’re all boring,but having lost my loving mind doing the classics run for all these missions i kind of like how you can cheese the entire thing with the basement of doom where 47 has every corpse known to man.

Hokkaido) probably the best one,yeah yamazaki’s a bit boring but yoga 47’s great as is psycho surgeon 47.
Grabbing the heart is brilliant,the restricted loadout is great,also i like the layout.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

HelixFox posted:

Colorado is hugely improved in Hitman 2 with bushes imo, but yes four targets is too much.
Yeah I actually find Colorado significantly more playable and interesting with foliage, the 2016 version is a complete shitshow in comparison to the 2018 version and that's saying something as 2018 Colorado is not exactly great.

My own personal ratings for maps would almost exclusively be based on their Contracts Mode potential though, so I'm more of a fan of maps like Whittleton Creek than many would be because in the context of being a little sandbox where the entire map can be utilized in a contract without feeling overlong and drawn out, it works quite well (Paris is better at doing this though). Maps like Colombia and Mumbai lend themselves better to "regional" contracts that focus on a single spot (like the construction site, village, or mansion in Colombia, or the tower or trainyard in Mumbai; not the entire map, usually).

Miami's problem is it's too sparsely-populated in many of its areas to be particularly intriguing for Contracts Mode possibilities. Colombia does have parts where nobody's around, but the areas where there are people tend to have enough density and interesting sightlines that there's some meat to any contract that takes advantage of them. Mumbai is absolutely brilliant for contracts, with lots of targets that just seem to have no good options to deal with cleanly (but also lots of areas with structured flow like the trainyard guard patterns), which makes me sad when people hate the map because of the main mission and lack of ETs to really show it off.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Colombia and Miami both have the problem of massive transitional areas and scripting that involves sending NPCs through those transitions. Sgail and Mumbai both also have these problems, but to a lesser extent. With the Hitman 1 maps, if you're sending a target or anyone else somewhere, you only do it once or twice, there are other things along the way, and other things you can be doing while they move - not watching a target walk a bunch of well-dressed loading buffer tunnels, or have to plod them yourself.

Much more than Hitman 1, it's clear how segmented the design of areas is in Hitman 2- whether as a product of workflow changes, or a design constraint due to increased size. Sniper positions in particular are practically an afterthought and were clearly nudged around to be functional.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 30, 2020

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
It will be interesting to see how the H3 maps compare. This is the final one, so I hope they'll go all out in terms of map design.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah, hopefully they've taken what they've learned from H1 and H2 and can make the best maps yet.

What I'm real interested in is what spins on the formula they introduce. H2 didn't radically change things, but it did add new things and even changed H1 maps slightly. H3 could similarly tweak the mechanics of H1 and H2. That plus any new equipment can make new things possible that wasn't previously on the same old maps, not to mention the new ones designed with those items and mechanics in mind.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

good maps from hm1 are paris, sapienza (base + landslide) and hokkaido, decent map is night time marrakesh. good hm2 maps are miami and mumbai, decent maps are sgail and resort. whittleton is polarising.

i'm looking at this from a perspective of both density and porousness - how much stuff is there to do, and how many ways are there to get around? example: mumbai has lots of ways in and out of areas, such as rangan's tower. you can approach from around 6 different directions - then climb scaffolding, or enter via the front door and either go up the stairs or up the elevator shaft, and there's probably a couple of other ways in that i'm missing. train yard similar deal - climb a pipe, open one of several gates, hide in bushes and sneak in. miami does the same thing - there's lots of different paths to get to where you want to go.

on the flip side, offering too many easy ways around a small number of obstacles is also bad. using the bank as an example, getting to the top floor can be done two ways: CEO exit staircase, or the northwest staircase (which is just called 'Staircase' on the map). northwest staircase has two guards preventing you from going up - oh no! except you can just run to the left a bit and climb a convenient stack of boxes, skipping the checkpoint and frisk. it is always faster to do this. the CEO exit staircase has a keycard lock, and the keycard is about 5 seconds away - not really an obstacle, except for the cameras, but you can disable those in the same location. i dislike this map for its lack of challenge. resort has a similar issue at the villa/hacienda: two guards at the front, and a really easy wall scale just to their right. no reason to use the front gate at all.

any area that forces you into a single path, or offers a clear 'best' option to bypass an obstacle, is uninteresting to me

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

So do you think that given current gaming trends and IOI's need to make money, we can see Hitman becoming more of a live game since the story will be concluded? Maybe in addition to the elusive targets have premium seasons with new maps or reworked ones like the Sapienza variations? It seems like that was going to be the original plan of the "World of Assassination".

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Will I be able to import levels from Hitman 1 and 2 (and progress from 2) to the PS5 version from the PC versions of Hitman 1 and 2? Hitman 2 crashed constantly for me on PC, and I don't have much faith that those issues will be fixed in Hitman 3, so I'll probably just go with the console version next time around. Have they said anything about cross-version importing?

Since they are moving from Steam to EGS, I'm guessing they'll need to have some kind of account importing setup anyway, so hopefully they'll allow this.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

where the red fern gropes posted:

on the flip side, offering too many easy ways around a small number of obstacles is also bad. using the bank as an example, getting to the top floor can be done two ways: CEO exit staircase, or the northwest staircase (which is just called 'Staircase' on the map). northwest staircase has two guards preventing you from going up - oh no! except you can just run to the left a bit and climb a convenient stack of boxes, skipping the checkpoint and frisk. it is always faster to do this. the CEO exit staircase has a keycard lock, and the keycard is about 5 seconds away - not really an obstacle, except for the cameras, but you can disable those in the same location. i dislike this map for its lack of challenge. resort has a similar issue at the villa/hacienda: two guards at the front, and a really easy wall scale just to their right. no reason to use the front gate at all.

any area that forces you into a single path, or offers a clear 'best' option to bypass an obstacle, is uninteresting to me

Back stairs in the embassy. It's just a better way up, why would anyone ever take the front stairs? The Delgado mansion has the same kind of frojt wall climb too. At least the resort mansion's is one-way, so you have to find another way to leave - not that they're in short supply.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

il serpente cosmico posted:

Will I be able to import levels from Hitman 1 and 2 (and progress from 2) to the PS5 version from the PC versions of Hitman 1 and 2? Hitman 2 crashed constantly for me on PC, and I don't have much faith that those issues will be fixed in Hitman 3, so I'll probably just go with the console version next time around. Have they said anything about cross-version importing?

Since they are moving from Steam to EGS, I'm guessing they'll need to have some kind of account importing setup anyway, so hopefully they'll allow this.

There is already an IO account system, it was used for unlocking Hitman 1 content in 2. They've already said that you'll unlock 1 & 2 stuff in 3 on the Epic Store using it, nothing's been said about importing to console from PC though, I believe.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Veotax posted:

There is already an IO account system, it was used for unlocking Hitman 1 content in 2. They've already said that you'll unlock 1 & 2 stuff in 3 on the Epic Store using it, nothing's been said about importing to console from PC though, I believe.

Yeah, I went back and saw that they addressed the issue for PC specifically. They have said that your Steam levels and progress will import to EGS's version of Hitman 3.

Hopefully they allow cross-platform importing of content, but I kinda doubt it. I would think they will at least allow importing levels from the PS4 to the PS5 version. Since it's tied to the same PSN account, that seems like it'd be a no-brainer. I wish they'd post an FAQ though, since it's available for pre-order and all. I have Hitman 1 on PS4 as a PS+ freebee, and I bet Hitman 2 goes on a deep sale or is offered for free before 3 releases.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 31, 2020

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Still not entirely clear on this, Is the account transfer from steam to the egs limited to unlocks? Will I have to repurchase 1 and 2 in the egs if I wanted to play the old maps through 3?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rookoo posted:

Still not entirely clear on this, Is the account transfer from steam to the egs limited to unlocks? Will I have to repurchase 1 and 2 in the egs if I wanted to play the old maps through 3?

You will not.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

In particular, between suitcases and map design, frisking checks are completely immaterial in 2.

The player’s toolkit is just saturated.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Discendo Vox posted:

The player’s toolkit is just saturated.

This is a very good thing and should only be expanded upon. Those who limit themselves to the easiest or most powerful tools do it to themselves.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Frisks have never been an issue. Even back in 2016 the frisks in Paris existed only to impress games journalists. I mean, hell, you can jump out the window right next to the frisk that goes to the auction level and climb up to said auction without the guys at the frisk point giving a single poo poo. Even routing through checkpoints using methods to temporarily panic/disable the frisk AI is rarely the correct play when trying to get good times on contracts.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Frisks exist to keep honest NPCs honest.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zigmidge posted:

This is a very good thing and should only be expanded upon. Those who limit themselves to the easiest or most powerful tools do it to themselves.

Strong agree. Hitman is already very much a "pick your poison" game since you can easily win all levels by just gunning and running, but that's not the point. Choosing to go for silent assassin is a restriction you impose on yourself.

Similarly, if you think any gear is OP... don't use it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I think Hector's pathing broke lol

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Frisks were a bigger deal in the old games because the maps were smaller and had fewer routes.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The real challenge is to kill with style.

Bond wouldn't drop a penny three times then walk through a checkpoint while the guards spin in a circle and neither will I :colbert:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Strategic Tea posted:

The real challenge is to kill with style.

Bond wouldn't drop a penny three times then walk through a checkpoint while the guards spin in a circle and neither will I :colbert:
What I’m reading is that we need more absurd gadgets, like electro-magnetic watches for teleporting gear past guards or items out of rooms without entering. Basically a reverse briefcase.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Poison coin,exploding death powder envelope,blow darts,one of those poison tipped umbrellas.

Bascally make me the pengiun and i’m happy.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

So how long is Hector Delgado supposed to stand at the waterfront screaming about how Andrea will love him if he doesn't do cocaine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm actually shocked that they haven't done the whole Georgi Markov gimmick yet.