Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

where the red fern gropes posted:

a Cool Thing you can do on whittleton creek: if you destroy all 12 cameras for the challenge - you must be on professional, not casual or they won't show up and not master or a bunch of fake cameras will spawn - cassidy will go to visit janus (incidentally this is how you get the unreasonable scope challenge) and janus will absolutely rip into him, revealing that he knows all - and i mean all - of the surveillance poo poo cassidy has been trying to pull while simultaneously undermining cassidy as a person

it's great

e: i hosed up and brought the sieger 300 ghost along, you need to bring a body-piercing sniper for this one and the ghost doesn't seem to pierce. which is weird, because i thought it did.

Weirdly, I did just that to get the Unreasonable Scope challenge and while Janus and Cassidy did meet (triggered by destroying all 12 cameras) my You Had Me At Bodyguard challenge is stuck at only 11/12 cameras :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

there's a camera on cassidy's house's second floor, outside, that I missed the first time. Maybe the scripting is a bit more lenient? Or your counter bugged out.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

double nine posted:

there's a camera on cassidy's house's second floor, outside, that I missed the first time. Maybe the scripting is a bit more lenient? Or your counter bugged out.

So are there two cameras on the outside of the house at the back?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

nexus6 posted:

So are there two cameras on the outside of the house at the back?

I misremembered - it's janus' house that has a second-story camera.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Nakar posted:

I said I couldn't find a use for the patrolling guard reset trick, and then I found one. I have no idea why that guy walks the wrong way to get back to his spawn point when he could just walk right back down the main street, but it seems to happen consistently and could be useful for contracts just like this one.
What's the specifics of this trick? I missed the earlier discussion it seems.

Also, are all guns 100% accurate on their first shot now? So far I've never missed a shot at Soders' heart from the corridor behind the security room, even if I'm using one of the loud pistols with a yard-wide reticle. :v:

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I just moved away from Burlington, Vermont and I am very excited to do the Whittleton Creek level next. I wanna see how well they capture the feeling of the area or how suburby it is cause Vermont doesn't reaeeeallly have any suburbs to speak of. I'm hoping it is just a renamed Burlington or Old / New North End.

As for open carry laws in Vermont, in 2013 Burlington passed an ordinance banning open carry of assault weapons within city limits but I don't think it ever actually took effect or anything. Maybe in The World of Assassination it finally kicked in.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
It feels very New North End-y to me. There's a flag hanging in one of the garages I think for a 'Burlington Mustangs' which maybe you could interpret as being a nod to the 'Seahorses' high school team.

A guy who was open carrying a couple years ago was arrested but he was a mentally ill homeless guy.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

double nine posted:

I misremembered - it's janus' house that has a second-story camera.

Oh, well I got that one and I counted 12, guess my challenge counter is bugged.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Pilchenstein posted:

What's the specifics of this trick? I missed the earlier discussion it seems.

Also, are all guns 100% accurate on their first shot now? So far I've never missed a shot at Soders' heart from the corridor behind the security room, even if I'm using one of the loud pistols with a yard-wide reticle. :v:
Basically there are paired guards who patrol large loops together. The guys in this video or the Elite Guards who patrol Sgail are two examples. The trick is that disrupting their routine causes them to reset back to the exact spot they started the map on, rather than shrugging and continuing their loop. If you distract one but not the other, the other will go on with the loop. If you distract both, the one who doesn't respond turns around and paths back to spawn before restarting their route.

If I had to guess, guard AI is programmed such that after being distracted, they identify their spawn point and go back to it. For stationary guards this makes sense, but guards that move are different. However this doesn't work on guards like the two in the Paris attic, so my guess is those guys are programmed to have new AI once their conversation ends, resulting in a new spawn point. Hence why distracting one attic guy will cause the other to stand there forever: He's still at his spawn, and until the conversation happens he can't be updated with a new one. Patrolling guards only have one set of AI looping them through a series of points, so when it breaks they go to spawn like anyone else by the most direct route. It's just more noticeable when they're halfway across a level.

As for your second question, all guns bias toward the center of the reticle and will hit it most of the time out to most distances. They just have a small chance to miss up close, and a corresponding higher chance to vary at a distance. The Striker makes this really apparent: Aim right on a distant head and you'll nail a headshot more than half the time and completely whiff the rest. The buff to the ICA19 means it's both more accurate and more damaging out to a considerable range over last season, with less chance of missing distant shots (cameras are much easier to hit in this game as a result, among other things).

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Nakar posted:

AI Pathing

None Guard NPCs will do something similar if they are distracted in the middle of pathing somewhere else. I kept making the Brain-Chipped morgue doc in Hokkaido suspicious getting spotted by him and he'd try to follow me for a bit. Even though I ended up running in the direction he was going to travel (he was in his depressed mood and going to kill himself) he would stop moving after giving up, walk back to the point he spotted me at, and then resume his pathing.

So there is programming there that makes NPCs smartly return to their position and continue moving along a route, just seems like some guards don't have that or it works differently.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I think Casual mode is bugged - I'm trying to get the safe combination from Hector Delgado by returning his letter but he just says "thanks, take this" and gives me nothing. Killing him doesn't cause him to drop it either.

Edit My bad, I thought he's just give it to you but you have to wait for him to write it down. That'll teach me to just run off.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 11, 2018

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Wrr posted:

None Guard NPCs will do something similar if they are distracted in the middle of pathing somewhere else. I kept making the Brain-Chipped morgue doc in Hokkaido suspicious getting spotted by him and he'd try to follow me for a bit. Even though I ended up running in the direction he was going to travel (he was in his depressed mood and going to kill himself) he would stop moving after giving up, walk back to the point he spotted me at, and then resume his pathing.

So there is programming there that makes NPCs smartly return to their position and continue moving along a route, just seems like some guards don't have that or it works differently.
My guess is many NPC loops have a pathing update when they reach a new spot or start moving toward it, and these guards do not get that. The ones on Sgail absolutely stop periodically, but their position doesn't update to the latest stop. I'd write it off as a mistake, but EVERY paired patrol guard behaves like this.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm disappointed you can't put the cannabis joint in Janus's oxygen tank

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm disappointed you can't put the cannabis joint in Janus's oxygen tank

right?!!

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Considering it is Vermont if there is only one cannabis joint in the level I will be very disappointed.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Some of the changes in NPC behavior in H2 vs H1 make the game way easier. For Whittleton Creek SASO, I separated Cassidy from his bodyguard simply by bumping into the guard, and then continuously bumping into the guard for 30 seconds while Nolan walked far away. In H1 they would get hostile at you if you kept bumping into them, in H2 they don't seem to care. It's hilarious.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'm pretty sure you could do that in 2016 too, you just had to wait for them to stop complaining before bumping into them again.

I try to avoid doing it nowadays though, it's not exactly riveting gameplay.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

qbert posted:

Some of the changes in NPC behavior in H2 vs H1 make the game way easier. For Whittleton Creek SASO, I separated Cassidy from his bodyguard simply by bumping into the guard, and then continuously bumping into the guard for 30 seconds while Nolan walked far away. In H1 they would get hostile at you if you kept bumping into them, in H2 they don't seem to care. It's hilarious.

Yeah, I abused the poo poo out of this for the Sean Bean hit. Hoping it gets fixed back to how it used to be because I can't help but use it when I'm not speed running. This idea seems to bother some gamers but I really don't mind that NPCs draw guns on you for just standing around.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Should I bother with the Gold Edition ? It's practically double the price of the basic one :stare:
(I'll get the DLCs eventually so I wouldn't mind getting it now if it'll be cheaper on a long run, but is it really going to cost that much?)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
You get two new maps + 2 sniper assassin maps, eventually. The maps are a decent bet to be "very good" as they are churning out great stuff now. It's honestly a bad value but I'm a Hitman stan and I want to support independent IO (although apparently it doesn't matter as they're getting bought by Microsoft, drat)

The best thing to do is probably buy Hitman 2 + the Legacy pack (if you don't have it), that will give you a ton of great content to screw around with.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

ecavalli posted:

Content: What’s the best way to kill Rico Delgado and What’sherface with one statue drop? Is it all down to luck and timing, or can you convince them to simultaneously stand in the middle of the stage for more than a passing moment?

Timing and setup, you may want to plant a remote explosives behind the statue so you can see from hippy's terrace when to trigger it. The right moment is when they call for drumroll but since you(the drummer) left already she'll move across the stage and yell at the guard to do it. Detonate when she tries to return to original position and the statue should flatten both.

Speaking of setups, is there a way to make Vanya Shah in Mumbai enter anywhere snipeable from that tower on the beach? She seems to stay behind walls for both laundry foreman and Maelstrom meetings you can arrange. Is that done with the colored smoke from metalworks I haven't tried yet?

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 12, 2018

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
What's the general consensus on the map quality in Hitman 2? I'm debating picking it up and trying to remain as unspoiled as possible, but what's the ratio of hits to duds, of Sapienzas to Colorados?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Lester Shy posted:

What's the general consensus on the map quality in Hitman 2? I'm debating picking it up and trying to remain as unspoiled as possible, but what's the ratio of hits to duds, of Sapienzas to Colorados?

In my opinion, the worst map in 2 is significantly better than Colorado. Maybe I'd put it on the level of Marrakesh. They're good maps.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think three of the new maps are excellent and two are pretty good.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

miami is like the best map in the series

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think Sgail is probably my favorite Hitman map of all time, tbh

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

There are no bad maps. Hitman is that good.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Colorado is kind of bad

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Is there a central place for all the Hitman 2 easter eggs? Every so often I'll hear about something that apparently was discovered weeks ago but I'm always out of the loop.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Colorado is kind of bad

It promotes a very different atmosphere and play-style than your "typical" Hitman level, by design. I don't think it quite lands but it's pretty good.

Hitman 2's level design is really "safe" and I don't mean that as a negative. The levels are the best they've ever been.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Lester Shy posted:

Every map in 2 is at least better than Marrakesh. Some of the targets can bring the maps down slightly, but only a few of them, and it isn't the map's fault that they set up the targets the way they did (and with Contracts Mode/Escalations/Elusive Targets, that's irrelevant anyway).

Super No Vacancy posted:

miami is like the best map in the series
That's a funny way to spell Mumbai.

But in all seriousness, I do think the best map in the entire series is somewhere in 2018. I'm not sure which map just yet, but I think it's a close running between Miami and Mumbai. The perfect aesthetics combined with the intricate layouts and interesting opportunities are unprecedented, and both maps have dizzying amounts of contract potential. They could run 8 different Elusive Targets on Mumbai and none of them would feel even remotely similar, they have that much space to work in.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Whittleton Creek feels kind of lacking but I love that the map is just all about loving with people.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Lester Shy posted:

I would say overall the H2 maps are really good and a lot of fun. Miami is fantastic, Columbia is really good, Mumbai is arguably the worst of the bunch but I still really enjoyed how sprawling and crazy it was, USA is kind of repetitive since all the house layouts are the same, but makes up for it in the silliness of the scenarios, and the last level is great as well.

I would say the overall quality of the H2 maps has a higher average than the H1 maps. I would rank any of the H2 maps (the 5 big ones not counting Hawke's Bay) over Marrakesh, Bangkok, and Colorado at least.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The sweet spot for targets is two plus a wrinkle. Like Sapienza vanilla or its Patient Zero mission. More than that and it feels a little bit like a chore. Colorado was too big, had too many trespassing hostile areas, too many targets who rarely synced up, and had the busywork of getting the mask and leaving through the lame rear end storm shelter.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

And yet despite all this there are no bad maps.

Colorado is the worst but it's still good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think Colorado is the worst only because you HAVE to get into the house and either use a mask or the guy's actual face to exit the level. You can do things from afar, but then you have to get in close to leave. Sapienza is also annoying for the virus. If it were easier to deal with the virus aside from sneaking into that cave and shooting the stalactite, it would be ok. There should have been a way to snipe it from the path to that tower.

I think this is why I like Miami the best. It's really fun to explore, and the kills are super easy.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah if you’re doing sniper assassin in Colorado, bring a lockpick or you’ll have to find the key to the basement or a crowbar, neither of which are in generous supply. Ask me how I know!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
If you just made contracts for Sapienza and Colorado that were to kill the regular mission targets would they count for all of the challenges?

Also, does shooting Caruso through the telescope count for sniper assassin? I forgot to check if that worked.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Pilchenstein posted:

If you just made contracts for Sapienza and Colorado that were to kill the regular mission targets would they count for all of the challenges?

Also, does shooting Caruso through the telescope count for sniper assassin? I forgot to check if that worked.

No

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I think challenges that fall under the "assassination" header are all things you've gotta do within the mission itself. I believe feats and discoveries are things you can do whenever?