Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
I finally figured out the trick to completing the One Kilo Brick challenge in Miami, if you chuck something at the head of the mendoza guy in the vip area of the thwack paddock while he's sitting down, the cocaine lands harmlessly in his lap and you dont have to do that catch in midair bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Lollerich posted:

Not if you put them to sleep with sleep poison, bubblegum, tranq dart. If a sleeping npc is found it won't break SA, unless you moved the body - I think. Same is true for accident kills / poison kills.

This is true! I just wasn't sure if I should add that complication for someone so new to the game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Lollerich posted:

Not if you put them to sleep with sleep poison, bubblegum, tranq dart. If a sleeping npc is found it won't break SA, unless you moved the body - I think. Same is true for accident kills / poison kills.

but if said NPC was choked out, SA breaks on discovery/wake-up? what, do they see neck bruises but not a tranq dart? :v:

beginning to think i'm applying too much logic/realism to the thinking behind these NPC's AIs & associated gameplay mechanics

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 26, 2022

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Ciaphas posted:

but if said NPC was choked out, SA breaks on discovery/wake-up? what, do they see neck bruises but not a tranq dart? :v:

beginning to think i'm applying too much logic/realism to the thinking behind these NPC's AIs & associated gameplay mechanics

Yeah it's silly, but sedatives function differently from regular unconsciousness. It's the one way you can knock somebody out but not have them being found break SA. (Which wasn't always the case--IIRC they added this feature partway into Hitman 2's lifespan? Which took the sedative vial and tranq gun from totally useless item to actually pretty powerful.)

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I'd personally be suspicious of foul play if I was strangled from behind by an unseen intruder.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Presumably people think they got light-headed and passed out as opposed to being choked unconscious. Yeah in the case of the guns there would be the dart but just roll with it.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I made a magnificent discovery today - the realisation of a pun. The Kalmer (calmer) makes people go to sleep and the Sieker (sicker) makes people vomit. I'm now roleplaying as a Space Ork.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sedatives are poison and poison is not suspicious.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Flayer posted:

I made a magnificent discovery today - the realisation of a pun. The Kalmer (calmer) makes people go to sleep and the Sieker (sicker) makes people vomit. I'm now roleplaying as a Space Ork.

Read the text on the drugs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flayer posted:

Lol god drat it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Presumably people think they got light-headed and passed out as opposed to being choked unconscious. Yeah in the case of the guns there would be the dart but just roll with it.

you mean to tell me that shooting yourself with tranqs to fall asleep right where you stand isn't a normal thing?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Basically nobody believes the people who insist they must have gotten choked out and that's why they and another person were discovered in a closet or hamper in only their underwear.

Why, they're probably the ones who shorted out the camera systems so nobody could see them screwing around and cheating on their significant others, too! This would go straight to the boss if he/she hadn't had that shocking but completely random fatal accident!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 26, 2022

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

site posted:

you mean to tell me that shooting yourself with tranqs to fall asleep right where you stand isn't a normal thing?

I definitely shoot myself in the back of the head while standing in the living room to get my good night's sleep.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jerusalem posted:

Basically nobody believes the people who insist they must have gotten choked out and that's why they and another person were discovered in a closet or hamper in only their underwear.

Why, they're probably the ones who shorted out the camera systems so nobody could see them screwing around and cheating on their significant others, too! This would go straight to the boss if he/she hadn't had that shocking but completely random fatal accident!

It's just one of those freak things

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

That reminds me of this time I was playing Hitman 2 (the 2002 game, where people definitely could wake up on their own), stole someone's clothes at the beginning of the Russia level and dumped him in a sewer. Did the entire level, came back and here comes a naked man running at me yelling about his clothes
This happened to me in the Russian party level (fourth or fifth level I think?) and this naked screaming diplomat burst in the front door and pointed at me just as I was calmly leaving the location on my way to my first ever perfectly smooth SA.

I still managed to escape - barely - but emphatically did not get my SA. It was so perfectly timed it's probably one of my favourite gaming memories.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I think it was Blood Money that first had the "knocked out guys only wake up if they're found" clause. All of the games before that were brutal, you only had the anaesthetic to knock people out and they woke up after like five minutes. Granted, it did provide some funny moments as described. I remember a guy running around the embassy party in his pants too.

By complete coincidence that was also the best level in the game.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, it'd be good if that was an optional feature in the game. Like in the master difficulty, or whatever it's called.

Another thing from classic Hitman that I'd like to return is when you have a rifle/shotgun and want to use a pistol. Instead of just having it hover on your back, 47 would instead hold it in his off-hand. I always liked that touch of realism. Since it would mean that you would have to actually drop it/put it down, in order to use two-handed weapons or tools

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, it'd be good if that was an optional feature in the game. Like in the master difficulty, or whatever it's called.

Another thing from classic Hitman that I'd like to return is when you have a rifle/shotgun and want to use a pistol. Instead of just having it hover on your back, 47 would instead hold it in his off-hand. I always liked that touch of realism. Since it would mean that you would have to actually drop it/put it down, in order to use two-handed weapons or tools

If we're going down this path we also have to face the deep pockets of mr 47

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
There could definitely be an improvement in the AI that wouldn't break the puzzle like nature of the game. For example when you're shooting to kill and reinforcements turn up and you're hiding, they see the bodies and meander about muttering while you pick them off one by one. At no point do they take cover, work as a team, don't walk directly into and obvious kill zone and aimlessly potter about. The game would be a lot more fun if the enemies acted with just a tiny bit of common sense.

It would also be an improvement if they could tweak the AI so it feels less like 47 is the only real object on the map. For example if 47 is in a disguise that trespasses in an area and 47 enters it's an immediate alert but if an NPC wearing the same outfit is in that area nobody cares. It would feel more alive if NPCs responded to the trespassing NPC as well, and would open up some more distraction elements.

There are other things that could be fixed, like endless coin investigating trails, but at least with something like that you can choose not to engage in that style of gameplay.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
The game would fuckin suck if it was in any way realistic, sorry :v:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It is realistic. The game world is an abstraction of a clockwork puzzle represented by guards, timers and targets.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I definitely shoot myself in the back of the head while standing in the living room to get my good night's sleep.

I just eat cat food if I can't sleep.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Major Isoor posted:

The problem is that this just gives me horrible flashbacks of the motorcade level from H2:SA, which was obviously designed with a sniper rifle in mind but started you off on the ground level of a town full of NPCs. So to be stealthy you had to do the needlessly intricate "sneak from Point A to Point B at exactly X time" that characterises some of the worst escalations and contracts in the trilogy games.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Pilchenstein posted:

The game would fuckin suck if it was in any way realistic, sorry :v:
Yeah it would suck if it was realistic but there are ways the AI could be more fun for the player and provide more opportunities to be creative. I was racing through some escalations because of the new track unlocks and not caring about SA and was just struck about how unsatisfying the AI is. When 47 is causing a bit of chaos the game gets extremely dumb extremely quickly but not in a way that is enjoyable.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Steam H3 demo can now play imported H1/H2 content, for anyone who's waiting for a sale before buying H3 proper

https://twitter.com/IOInteractive/status/1486349440965390338

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Flayer posted:

Yeah it would suck if it was realistic but there are ways the AI could be more fun for the player and provide more opportunities to be creative. I was racing through some escalations because of the new track unlocks and not caring about SA and was just struck about how unsatisfying the AI is. When 47 is causing a bit of chaos the game gets extremely dumb extremely quickly but not in a way that is enjoyable.
I mean, in an ideal world sure, it'd be nice for the game to also be a very satisfying cover shooter but IOI's idea of adding a "tactical" element to counter sniping was "all the guards on the map immediately know about you via psychic powers and a hail of constant gunfire erupts from nowhere" so I really don't want them to make shootouts more "challenging" :v:

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I'd love a customisable difficulty mode. I want the extra cameras, more sensitive guards but to be able to save whenever I wish thank.you very much.

This is definitely a game where it's fun to fail and keep going, but it feels a bit obnoxious to not let players save when the set up for challenges can be quite involved.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
That Hitman feel when you've perfected the first 3 minutes of a challenge and you keep doing it over and over to get to that one tricky bit, then chuck your controller when you mess up the perfected bit as you get frustrated and start rushing it.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Flayer posted:

That Hitman feel when you've perfected the first 3 minutes of a challenge and you keep doing it over and over to get to that one tricky bit, then chuck your controller when you mess up the perfected bit as you get frustrated and start rushing it.

I distinctly recall this happening to me with the Paris battle axe escalation.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

This is definitely a game where it's fun to fail and keep going, but it feels a bit obnoxious to not let players save when the set up for challenges can be quite involved.
Yeah, you should be able to save in any mode at any time. It's super obnoxious when you're doing something where saves aren't allowed and get spotted through a wall or the ai bugs out or something.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

China's a lot of fun for contracts, turning my opinion around on it a good bit

Unless they call for it though I never bother with SA or SASO with them. I like to use them to screw around more. It's weird how you can't save in them though, always found that annoying

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Flayer posted:

The escalation with the fire axe in Bangkok, the Arthin Occultation, or maybe The Eccleston Illumination in Sapienza. ...jeez, I'm looking back and realizing they kept some of the worst escalations for 2.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 26, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao if you tango with Diana while holding a suitcase 47 doesn't drop it and just keeps smacking them both in the face with it

Also wow that was a super easy Sniper Assassin, even from the parking lot. Only real holdup was shooting out a window to lure Yates off his phone; had to do it a few times to get him to the balcony.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
At the end of everything, I still do want all that missing content from 1 in the trilogy release; all the cut escalations, the Sarajevo Six, all of it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Argentina: I got a big smile on my face when Diana turned on the radio to distract Vargas so I could push Vidal into the grape crusher. I've noticed the party is a bit of a Himmapan reunion, too. Aside from Yates being one of Morgan's partners, I've seen Dexy and Heidi, and of course our old friend the Branson MD-2.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

champagne posting posted:

If we're going down this path we also have to face the deep pockets of mr 47

Hmm, yeah although it'll make hoarding things trickier, I wouldn't mind either way to be honest. It DOES seem a bit silly that you can walk out of the Bank vault with like, ten golden bricks in your jacket. The stitching on 47's suit in order for it to hold together through that must be amazing! haha

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The problem is that this just gives me horrible flashbacks of the motorcade level from H2:SA, which was obviously designed with a sniper rifle in mind but started you off on the ground level of a town full of NPCs. So to be stealthy you had to do the needlessly intricate "sneak from Point A to Point B at exactly X time" that characterises some of the worst escalations and contracts in the trilogy games.

Yeah, that's true. Although that being said, we have briefcases now! Alternatively though, just get good with long-range pistol shooting - that's what I did in that mission IIRC :v:

Dabir posted:

the Branson MD-2.

Is there actually a dodgy one to swap it out with? Since I recall getting a prompt to do that. I assume the prompt was just there for old time's sake though :D

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

China's a lot of fun for contracts, turning my opinion around on it a good bit

Unless they call for it though I never bother with SA or SASO with them. I like to use them to screw around more. It's weird how you can't save in them though, always found that annoying

Yeah I often think the most enjoyable runs are when you're forced to go loud (in a stylish way). There's a reason Bond always gets spotted in the end

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

Yeah I often think the most enjoyable runs are when you're forced to go loud (in a stylish way). There's a reason Bond always gets spotted in the end

He really is a pretty lovely spy, isn't he?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The only realism thing that really gets me is that you don't really need to do anything to maintain your disguise - you can run around (literally run - I like walking when I'm trying to be nonchalant) any area as long as you're not trespassing or doing something illegal and no one bats an eyelid. I can't remember the last time I felt like I had to use the blend in prompts. It feels like that was a lot stricter in the earlier games but maybe I was just subconsciously RPing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

stev posted:

The only realism thing that really gets me is that you don't really need to do anything to maintain your disguise - you can run around (literally run - I like walking when I'm trying to be nonchalant) any area as long as you're not trespassing or doing something illegal and no one bats an eyelid. I can't remember the last time I felt like I had to use the blend in prompts. It feels like that was a lot stricter in the earlier games but maybe I was just subconsciously RPing.

Hmm, maybe there were more roaming enforcers on the older maps? Hard to say. Since yeah, I recall needing to blend in now and again in the older ones, too. Meanwhile I haven't needed to at all, in H3