Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
as processors get faster we expect our computers to run smoother and react more rapidly to inputs, but this does not happen

many wiki articles and computer janitors attempt to explain this via feature creep and inefficient code bloating software so much it does not work perceptibly faster

however that is not the answer, as recent masterpieces of efficient programming such as microsoft windows xp media center and microsoft edge show. these programs intentionally play slow animations after user input, suggesting designers put them in to simulate heavy resource use and scam idiotic consumers into thinking their computer is hard at work

as a power user i find this offensive and demand that all modern software perform actual computing intensive tasks after each button click, eg mining craptocurrencies or calculating already-known prime numbers

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hey op, the problem is a thing called javascript. javascript is a very bad computer language created by idiots for idiots and the only thing it does is make your computer really slow.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
no idea any of those words are about op

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
imagine working on a dell optiplex 790 with 4gb of ram, an hdd and bitlocker

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

the inefficiency of a developer's code correlates to the hardware they are developing on (or for)

thus since we are now in a time where hardware is really fast, most of that speed will be used to render cool-looking UI hourglasses instead of coming to the realisation that uhh maybe we actually do not need them anymore

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

you know just like we have really really fast internet but the pages are still loading as fast as 20y ago

mystes
May 31, 2006

OP, rest assured that software is just as efficient as it used to be. Your computer is just busy running skynet in the background.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
your just holding it wrong op.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
op haev you tried turning it off and on again

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
if you need to put your computer down, just shut if off and never turn it on again

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

you should install windows 98 the 98 means that it uses 98% of the performance of ur computer

its better

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
With more computer power comes more free cpu cycles with which IT requires software to prevent me from opening every link in random emails I receive at work.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
pump energy into my computer all night but the power company just lets it go never stop it

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

you should install windows 98 the 98 means that it uses 98% of the performance of ur computer

its better

so you're saying that windows 7 might be a problem

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

:cumpolice:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Weatherman posted:

so you're saying that windows 7 might be a problem

and that windows 10 is a minor advance from 7

Penisface posted:

the inefficiency of a developer's code correlates to the hardware they are developing on (or for)

thus since we are now in a time where hardware is really fast, most of that speed will be used to render cool-looking UI hourglasses instead of coming to the realisation that uhh maybe we actually do not need them anymore

so what you’re saying is computers have turned communist and/or into military contractors, wasting resources to justify spending resources on unproductive processes purely so they continue existing

(think of all the poor UI designers efficiency would put on the street!)

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 9, 2018

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Penisface posted:

just leave a comment on on your code of
code:
//this is probably slow: todo

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
it’s the drm running in ring -1 checking for debuggers ever millisecond

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
whenever i disable javascript in my browser the speed difference blows my mind

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

lol Who the gently caress allows arbitrary javascript except nontechnicals, greyforum posters, and literal children?

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
i leave that to the firefox defaults

i'm sure they're sensible

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

French Canadian posted:

With more computer power comes more free cpu cycles with which IT requires software to prevent me from opening every link in random emails I receive at work.

commiserations; we just switched to Symantec ourselves

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

friends using umatrix I thought was a level of janitoring too far, then I tried it and holy poo poo it’s like when I used a T1 back in the mid 90s

mystes
May 31, 2006

It breaks too much stuff to just disable it globally now and it's probably too much of a pain to enable it for every site.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
added a total of 5 fans to my pc so lets do this, lets see if this makes a float

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I don't have to imagine that. I lived it 40 hours a week until I liberated a stick of ram from the computer of someone who retired and it's mostly functional with 8 gb

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Siljmonster posted:

added a total of 5 fans to my pc so lets do this, lets see if this makes a float

I run a lot of cooling so that I can open my case and put my hand inside and its cooler inside than outside.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
i installed xp on a vm on an ssd from an install disk image on an ssd. it took like 5 minutes. i was loving livid.

gently caress the future, burn it all down imho.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

lmao if you have to “install” windows instead of loading an image from sccm

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Silver Alicorn posted:

lmao if windows

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Put wheels on the bottom of the computer so I can take it on the go

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

lmao if you have to “install” windows instead of loading an image from sccm
it would probably take me more than five minutes to figure out what any of that means on top of learning new things when i'm over 30, so that's a real hard sell there.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
E ery night I have to Google "what is l1 cache" and db poo poo like that and try to understand what companies want from me

Why can't they just build computer ever year and make it top of the line?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Siljmonster posted:

E ery night I have to Google "what is l1 cache" and db poo poo like that and try to understand what companies want from me

Why can't they just build computer ever year and make it top of the line?

, i post from my SGI workstation

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

case(os)
windows: lmao
osx: lomarf
linux: rofl
else: laffo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Laslow posted:

it would probably take me more than five minutes to figure out what any of that means on top of learning new things when i'm over 30, so that's a real hard sell there.

the enterprise team loves it so I gotta use it, I don't have to set up task sequences or anything tho

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

yospos is getting slow bc everyone is gone :smith:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Captain Foo posted:

case(os)
windows: lmao
osx: lomarf
linux: rofl
else: laffo

templeos: :hai:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011
what kind of idiot would use a computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

yospos is getting slow bc everyone is gone :smith:

i'll probably be here until either the forums die or i do, whichever comes first.

• Locked thread